• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT7| Luigi took our stare

Status
Not open for further replies.

J10

Banned
Hmmm...BCT question time. Ignoring lil smoke being black/claiming to be black in the past but thinking it's ok to use the n word on an anonymous messageboard in bad context, how do you feel when black people use the n word to mean ignorant? Example, the MLK speech on the Boondocks:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zy_1XTRmUr0

And of course I have to link white people's favorite Chris Rock skit:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f3PJF0YE-x4

I can't recall a single instance on this forum or in my personal life where there are no black people involved when the nigger=ignorant card is played. And it seems to go over everyone's heads that if nigger = ignorant, it follows that black = ignorant, since no amount of mental gymnastics can separate black history from that word.

andthebeatgoeson

wow man. it gets me legit shook when i realize how fucked up some ppl's lives are on this forum. like...we all seem to share similar tastes and opinions and also have our disagreements (mcu gaf. scust to the maximum to y'all) and all that. but never would i expect to read

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=841832
There is so much won wrong with that OP. How do you respond to that, except for 'sorry'?

Kreed

I can't recall a single instance on this forum or in my personal life where there are no black people involved when the nigger=ignorant card is played. And it seems to go over everyone's heads that if nigger = ignorant, it follows that black = ignorant, since no amount of mental gymnastics can separate black history from that word.

This is my main problem with it as well. Even though I did find the skits I linked funny/understood the message in their own context, black people trying to make this distinction outside of a comedic/rap/entertainment setting never sounds right.

wow man. it gets me legit shook when i realize how fucked up some ppl's lives are on this forum. like...we all seem to share similar tastes and opinions and also have our disagreements (mcu gaf. scust to the maximum to y'all) and all that. but never would i expect to read

All he does is play video games.

EDIT: Gout scares me. My mom is Hispanic and I know a few people that have it.

hypernima

Banned

People are off the chain in a lot of threads like these now, lots of reckless stuff being said.

Gorillaz

Can't knock his hustle and grind. I watched 35 and Wating last night and he was in it with Eddie Winslow from Family Matters.
The film is kind of struggle, but I liked Kevin Hart playing a more "serious" role like that. Self Deprecating is funny at times but it honestly gets olds seeing it alot, especially when he is in stuff back to back without break.

He's doing his thing tho so can't really hate

BHZ Mayor

I just learned that asking someone if they're mad is equivalent to calling someone a nigger. I feel brand new having such knowledge.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
lol wtf
Man Gundam Unicorn's animation was just so damn good. Shame it's over now. :(

I'm glad I waited for it to end. I'll probably throw Heroes in the bushes yet again to check this out now.

btw - the new Ghost In The Shell OVAs grew on me. It aint SAC or 2ndGig, but its still damned good.

Going to be eating good in a few hours, rice has been soaking since 10, and will probably cook it around 4. Got some beef strips, chicken and salmon marinating in some homemade teriyaki sauce, got some veggies ready to go as well.

Might even marinate some steaks in said sauce later tonight.

Yea, I'm about to be glutinous as fuck.

I'm glad I waited for it to end. I'll probably throw Heroes in the bushes yet again to check this out now.

btw - the new Ghost In The Shell OVAs grew on me. It aint SAC or 2ndGig, but its still damned good.

Yea the new GITS is pretty decent, still not feeling Kusanagi's design but I'll live.

And yes, you should throw Heroes to the wayside and just binge Unicorn.

Haven't stepped foot in OT in a couple days, feels good.

Shit can be downright toxic at times.

For real

I just learned that asking someone if they're mad is equivalent to calling someone a nigger. I feel brand new having such knowledge.

But remember man, they're not equating it because they didn't explictily say "equally"

Heading to Hartford Connecticut. Meeting my girlfriends parents for the first time :O
fb0.jpg

The Most Hated Person on GAF Award™ unanimously goes to…

BlackJace

So, it's rather alarming that members of RacistGAF have begun to actually not give a fuck whether or not they either offend or get banned.

That's a scary type of bold.

Kreed

So, it's rather alarming that members of RacistGAF have begun to actually not give a fuck whether or not they either offend or get banned.

That's a scary type of bold.

If this is in reference to lil smoke, lil smoke is black and used to post in the BCT. While what he said was stupid in the context of an online messageboard since not everyone knows he is black while making that statement, I can't throw him into racist/discrimination GAF knowing/assuming he is black.

Kreed

He black and he called another black person a nigger with malice. He's racist.

We both know if most of the people responding in that thread had known he was black when he said that, he wouldn't have gotten the reaction he got. He needed to be banned to be fair to anyone else on this board who made that statement, but if he had said that in a black barbershop somewhere no one would care, or at most he would have caused some back and forth between those of us who don't agree that there is a difference between black people and n-words.

The n-words = stupid black people, was started in the black community and is still pushed publicly by black entertainers. The biggest issue with this being non black people trying to apply this in real life situations to disguise their racism. While we may disagree with that train of thought and it is fair to say they are stupid/part of the problem for pushing this idea, no one is calling them and the black people who repeat this thought process racist.

Man Jeni's rendition of Drunk In Love > Yonce's. Though she needs Kanye to spit, cause his verse was funny as fuck.

I'm a pa rum pa pum pum all on ya stomach. *Diddy bops*

He black and he called another black person a nigger with malice. He's racist.

My views on it as well. Just because you're black doesn't mean you're automatically excused.

We both know if most of the people responding in that thread had known he was black when he said that, he wouldn't have gotten the reaction he got. He needed to be banned to be fair to anyone else on this board who made that statement, but if he had said that in a black barbershop somewhere no one would care, or at most he would have caused some back and forth between those of us who don't agree that there is a difference between black people and n-words.

The n-words = stupid black people, was started in the black community and is still pushed publicly by black entertainers. The biggest issue with this being non black people trying to apply this in real life situations to disguise their racism. While we may disagree with that train of thought and it is fair to say they are stupid/part of the problem for pushing this idea, no one is calling them and the black people who repeat this thought process racist.

Nigger = 'ignorant person' has been in the US dictionary since the late 40s early 50's.

Kreed

Nigger = 'ignorant person' has been in the US dictionary since the late 40s early 50's.

Not nigger = black people = ignorant person, I'm talking black people =/= niggers = ignorant black people. The Chris Rock skit, the MLK speech from the Boondocks, the Charlamange calling Justin Bieber the new N-word, etc... Black people/entertainers trying to distinguish the difference between black people and n-words.

royalan

I don't know.

I'm not going to pretend like I'm new to the idea of black people using the word "nigga" to mean "stupid black person." But it's not that widespread. Using it in the context Lil Smoke did won't get you jumped on in the barber shop, but it will get you some funny looks and a "...the fuck?" or two. I think the distinction is that Lil Smoke used it in similar context that a white person would use it, in fact I think his comment struck such a cord because there IS a history of white people using the word "nigger" then claiming that they weren't being racist, just using it as another word for stupid.

I've always acknowledged that nigga can be a warm greeting or an insult within the community depending on how it's used. It's a complex word.

"My nigga!" -- warm greeting used to express familiarity and kinship.

"...DIS nigga..." -- insult.

But neither of these uses comes close to calling someone a nigger. Especially in a context that involves a white person in ANY way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom