• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Bureau: X-COM Declassified |OT| It's all about Taction

Header.png

Developer: 2K Marin
Publisher: 2K Games
Platforms: Xbox 360 | PC | PS3
Genre: Tactical Shooter
Release Dates:
• August 20th, 2013 (U.S)
• August 23rd, 2013 (PAL)

Price: $59.99 | €59,99 | £34,99

PC Minimum Specs:
  • Processor: Intel Core 2 DUO 2.4 GHz / AMD Athlon X2 2.7 GHz
  • Memory: 2 GB RAM
  • Graphics: DirectX9 Compatible ATI Radeon HD 3870 / NVIDIA 8800 GT
  • Hard Drive: 12 GB available space
  • Sound Card: DirectX Compatible

Overview.png

The Bureau: X-COM Declassified is a squad based tactical third person shooter set in the X-COM universe circa 1962. The Bureau explores the origins of X-COM, and tells the story of special agent William Carter of the U.S Bureau of Strategic Emergency Command, tasked with investigating and covering up extraterrestrial activity. The Bureau has been in development since 2006, and was originally a first person shooter until fan backlash and the critical and commercial success of X-COM: Enemy Unknown led 2K to evolve the game into what it is today. The game features several core tenets of the X-COM franchise, most notably permanent death for Carter’s squad. Although little is currently known about the narrative, 2K has said that in addition to exploring the origins of X-COM and following the exploits of Agent Carter, it will explore the struggles of a scientist named Dr. Weir who is persecuted for both his homosexuality and political views.

Using “Battle Focus”, you can issue orders to you squad, make use of equipment, and more. Several UI elements and base mechanics from Enemy Unknown make a return, seemingly to help new players who have experience with the aforementioned Enemy Unknown.

Header-117.jpg

While the game does retain and indeed embrace the strategic roots of the franchise, there is no base building or research as was present in Enemy Unknown.

Reviews.png

Kotaku - "Yes"

Polygon 7/10

Official PlayStation Magazine: 7/10

GamesRadar: 3/5

GameSpot: 6/10

Official Xbox Magazine: 7/10

TheSixthAxis: 8/10

Escapist 3/5

Destructoid 4.5/10

IGN 5.5/10

Media.png

Videos

Giant Bomb Quick Look EX

E3 2013 Demo

Live Action Series

Dev Diary - Narrative

Dev Diary - Art

Dev Diary #3

Gamespot Feature

Screenshots

Preorder.png

Green Man Gaming is offering 10% off, a $12 credit or $8 cashback, an “exclusive” DLC mission as well as all of the previous X-COM games (including Enemy Unkown and DLC) and Spec Ops: The Line. This is for the PC version obviously, and everything redeems on Steam.

Steam is offering the same deal ($45, X-COM franchise, DLC and Spec Ops: The Line) minus the credit, and the preload was made available today.

Amazon is offering a $10 promotional credit for pre-ordering the console versions, but the DLC mission available with the PC pre-order does not seem to be available with the console versions through any retailer.

Random Thoughts

I'll leave you with two things:

A) The idle animations in this game are incredible.

Idle-Animations.gif

B) Agent Carter looks a lot like Archer. I'd be willing to part with any sum of money for a DLC voice pack from H. Jon Benjamin.

The Random Thoughts are making it harder and harder not to pick this up soon, don't have the money for it though sadly.

Hope it's a success for Marin!

Leks

Haha, I didn't see the likeness of Carter with Archer! The game is interesting, but I will wait for a Steam sale.

Nice OT, by the way.

TransTrender

Gold Member
Wait. The game is coming out on Tuesday and didn't they just have the big reveal a few weeks ago?

Where's the marketing?

This thing has been sent to die.

Addnan

Heh, I was going to wait for this game to bomb, but just over £20 with all the XCOM, Spec Ops and that DLC thing was too much to resist.

flotilla

Neo Member
I'm really interested in preordering this game, but I'm nervous that I can't find any reviews. (release day review embargo + heavy preorder incentives = mediocre game?) Is there anyone out there that has played the whole game and can give a general yay/nay?

Heh, I was going to wait for this game to bomb, but just over £20 with all the XCOM, Spec Ops and that DLC thing was too much to resist.

I was thinking of doing this, but I don't want to risk forgetting about it like I did with Spec Ops and many other games. Will pick it up day one and play it between sessions of SR4.

Still upset about the move from FP to TP, but I can live with it if the gameplay is as good as I hope it is.

Auskeek

That box art is pretty ballsy and awesome.

This wasn't on my radar at all until I played XCOM Enemy Unknown on Playstation Plus this month. It was all part of their plan.

Benedict

What issue is that? I don't remember having any issues with my code.

That the code belonging to The Bureau is for Spec Ops The Line instead.

I have two different codes for Spec Ops The Line, one that says Spec Ops The line and one that says The Bureau.

But It seems I had already bought Spec Ops The Line from GMG last year during a sale. That might explain things a bit.
Will we get a steam.-code for The Bureau later?
Won't you get another code for games you already purchased from GMG before?

Link to discussion regarding this on GMG/Playfire forum:
https://forums.playfire.com/gmg/thread/118188

This is one of those games where I am waiting on a review or two for this. I like the style and the tactical combat but there is no way I am dishing out 60 bucks for a mediocre game when GTA V is less then a month away.

pelican

The Summer drought is over. Picking this up with Saints 4, and Splinter Cell this week.

Doesn't seem to be too much excitement for this and I'm not sure why. 2K games are generally solid and it is xcom.

Dead Man

So, if I am a bad person and have never played an XCOM before, will I be able to pick this up and understand what is going on?

PaulloDEC

I'm pretty keen for this. I liked Enemy Unknown, but I'm a real-time gamer at heart, so the mix of squad commands and real-time combat looks right up my alley.

Majukun

So, if I am a bad person and have never played an XCOM before, will I be able to pick this up and understand what is going on?

"aliens invade,are you a bad enough dude to stop the invasion?"

thats' pretty much all the background you need

by the way,yes,you are a bad person

Agree, I prefer the box art below, but both are quite a creative risk considering other games had to design their box arts to cater for the dudebro crowd.

Bureau_XCOM_Declassified_cover.png

Going to wait for some reviews first to see if there's any game breaking bug, but it's a very likely purchase for me, love the 60s aesthetic.

I'm actually really looking forward to this game - it can't come soon enough. I got it for $36 off GMG. Thats a steal for a game like this I think.

anddo0

This wasn't on my radar at all until I played XCOM Enemy Unknown on Playstation Plus this month. It was all part of their plan.

I'm worried about the PS3 version.. Enemy Unknown really struggled at times.
I'd like to get it on PS3, but my laptop is more than capable (7970m).

CLBridges

Nice OT Pops! I'm getting this day one. I'm really liking what I've seen so far, don't need any reviews prior to purchase. Also, since playing XCOM: Enemy Unknown, I'm purchasing anything with XCOM attached to it. :)

I was on the fence but from the quick look I'm getting a dragon age origins feel from the tactical combat. Why is this trying to take away from my next gen fund? Lol

TheMan

i'm not feeling that there's any hype at all for this game. personally, i'm not a fan of the 50's setting, but if the game turns out to be fun i may pick it up when it drops to 20

styl3s

Carter looks nothing like Archer.

I was tempted to get the deal from amazon but my gut is telling me this game is going to be ok at best and i don't really want to spend $45 on "ok", especially considering there about 30 games coming out between now and November on top of next-gen consoles. I'll wait for some gaf feedback.

It looks fun and interesting don't get me wrong. It's just a matter of if i buy it at $10 for $45

Top Bottom