• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Bureau: X-COM Declassified |OT| It's all about Taction

I don't know why people consider this anything like Freedom Fighters. Your commands were incredibly basic, and the AI was just smart enough to handle itself. What was really good about Freedom Fighters was, aside from the ridiculously good control (I'd say it's better than having a cover system in some cases), the way you can move around between areas. You blow up a bridge so enemy vehicles can't keep dropping off enemies, you blow up a helipad so the helicopter isn't harassing you, then you go back into the sewer and to a different area. Actual guerilla-esque stuff, and in some areas, there was just constant battle going on that might be finished by the time you got there. Just because a game has squad controls, is in third person, and isn't a simulation-type game doesn't mean it's like Freedom Fighters.

Karak

Enjoyed the review; Only issue I noticed was the sound level. Glad I'm picking it up on PC, hopefully the frame drops and texture issues won't be as apparent.

Mother of all that is holy with that sound issue. Its blasting out of my speakers here. I will keep working on it. Sorry fellas.

Yes the good outweights the bad for sure.

Those goods FAR outweigh the negatives. Playing on PC, so I probably won't be dealing with FPS drops.

Good video, but the sound is too low.

Yeah, if the combat and storyline are both engaging then I will happily forgive 'adequate' textures. Thanks for the review, Karak. I now feel a little better about my impulse buy late last night.

DLaren

Neo Member
I've cleared my entire gaming schedule for this game.

Dragon Age, Mass Effect, Skyrim, NCAA'14, Torchlight II, XCOM: EU; all put on-hold...and I canceled my GTAV pre-order just so I can give The Bureau all of my attention.

This better be good.

For Steam users, this game unlocks on Monday at 11pm CST, 12pm EST or 9pm PST.

And you can preload now.

GET HYPE!

RSRe3Li.gif

Ashtar

Angry Centaur Gaming Review - Live around 4:05 Pacific Time http://youtu.be/VzcfszkVRPI

For those that just don't like the stuff we do here in our videos here are the bits.
Actual Rating is split-

Buy it if you can understand that the game is trying something different(for XCOM) and executes it fairly well.
Rent if you have questions about how you feel about a cherished game world being shown from another perspective where that try isn't 100% perfect.

Good Stuff:
Animation
Customization
Combat and Storyline
Interesting Game World

Bad Stuff:
Animation(though excellent as noted above at times they can seem fairly odd in timing during discussion)
FPS hits during saving and at irregular times elsewhere
Missing 'dat magic' at times.(Magic isn't always absent but its not conclusive that they captured it)
Texture work is just adequate

All in all I do NOT feel like my money was spent in vain. I was able to really just enjoy myself and play the game and after seeing it on both consoles I think people will be happy overall. PS3 version seemed to have a couple more FPS issues than the 360 version. But I have no problem having this game in my library.
It is not perfect but there is more to enjoy here than there is to dislike and I have a blast.
Thanks for the review dude....
How come you were able to post it before the embargo?

Angry Centaur Gaming Review - Live around 4:05 Pacific Time http://youtu.be/VzcfszkVRPI

For those that just don't like the stuff we do here in our videos here are the bits.
Actual Rating is split-

Buy it if you can understand that the game is trying something different(for XCOM) and executes it fairly well.
Rent if you have questions about how you feel about a cherished game world being shown from another perspective where that try isn't 100% perfect.

Good Stuff:
Animation
Customization
Combat and Storyline
Interesting Game World

Bad Stuff:
Animation(though excellent as noted above at times they can seem fairly odd in timing during discussion)
FPS hits during saving and at irregular times elsewhere
Missing 'dat magic' at times.(Magic isn't always absent but its not conclusive that they captured it)
Texture work is just adequate

All in all I do NOT feel like my money was spent in vain. I was able to really just enjoy myself and play the game and after seeing it on both consoles I think people will be happy overall. PS3 version seemed to have a couple more FPS issues than the 360 version. But I have no problem having this game in my library.
It is not perfect but there is more to enjoy here than there is to dislike and I have a blast.

Dude thanks for the review. However, a little constructive criticism on your video review:

Sllllooooow doowwwnn with the pop culture references and comparisons, and the jokes. In your video I felt like every 5-10 seconds was a new reference or joke, sometimes with a bunch of images flying all over the the screen to go with it.

Jokes are fine, comparisons are fine, but I felt like you were really overdoing it there. Other than that you're doing well.

Panda Rin

I'm still deciding if I should pick this one up. I really enjoyed Mass Effect, and the gameplay mechanics of this game look very similar to that.

For those who are preloading on Steam, how big is the download size?

Karak

I'm still deciding if I should pick this one up. I really enjoyed Mass Effect, and the gameplay mechanics of this game look very similar to that.

For those who are preloading on Steam, how big is the download size?

Preload looks to be 9.5 gigs right now.

I'm pretty sure this is going to be the best third person shooter this gen.

Yikes, level set your expectations man. I'm picking this up day one, but let's be realistic about what this will be. Based on 2K Marin's past work and this game's development issues, we're looking at a game with solid core mechanics but nothing revelatory. I just want to save you a meltdown.

pa22word

Yikes, level set your expectations man. I'm picking this up day one, but let's be realistic about what this will be. Based on 2K Marin's past work and this game's development issues, we're looking at a game with solid core mechanics but nothing revelatory. I just want to save you a meltdown.

I still say BioShock 2 is one of the best FPS this gen, though. It wouldn't surprise me in the least if this ended up as one of the best TPS. One thing for sure though is I don't think you're giving them enough credit. This game also has 2K Australia working on it, who's roots in the tactical shooter genre stretch as far back as SWAT4.

Preload looks to be 9.5 gigs right now.

FYI based on this video the PC version employs higher resolution textures, and of course the FPS problems should also be alleviated on a modest rig. I know you marked down the game for it in your review, so I thought you might be interested.

Onemic

With the absolute lack of media attention this game has gotten up till now, I'm pretty sure it's a sign 2K has lost faith that this title will sell well and/or score well with the critics.

hitmon

After watching that giantbomb vid, I want this more. I want to wait for the inevitable price drop though. Anybody know if amazon's preorder bonus of XCOM collection, steam redeemable?

pa22word

After watching that giantbomb vid, I want this more. I want to wait for the inevitable price drop though. Anybody know if amazon's preorder bonus of XCOM collection, steam redeemable?

It should be, considering EU is steamworks only and I don't think any of the classic games are even available anywhere other than steam.

Purchases made in Russia and CIS countries will only be playable in Russia and CIS countries.

Hope the copy I got from Dunder a while back works. I mean I got all the rewards and such which work whenever it reached 100% pre-orders a while back so we shall see. Also pre-loading.

elfinke

Nice OP. This looks really great and all the pre-release footage I've seen has been great. Will buy at xmas, I think.

hitmon

Ya I was just doing the console review so you know I had to knock it down a bit but I pretty much assumed the PC would really power through those issues which is spectacular news.

The gameplay, world, and so forth made it worth it already so its going to be great either with a small patch or on the PC.

Additionally its sprinting into a hostile release date with 2 major hitters.

What else is coming out? I can only think of Saints Row 4 right now.

Anybody have input on how the older XCOM games hold up over the years?

pa22word

this is a good idea that is complete shit in practice

christ

To be fair, it worked a lot better on previous versions of the boxart:

They changed it up to make it look more action-y and kept the blacked out gimmick too despite it not really working near as well with that image.

Jesus fuck where is my copy from GMG. I want that preload, man.

Yeah I know >=\

GMG has gotten really iffy here recently with key distribution. At least I got a free Season Pass and copy of Mafia 2 out of the deal when they fucked up their BS Infinite key distribution though, lol

Sober

Wow @ the current box art. They should've kept the one with the hand gesture at least. At least you could make something out. You barely can see anything other than title - dev/pub/rating on it.

edit: even the second one pa22word linked would've been 100 times better than the current.

Wow @ the current box art. They should've kept the one with the hand gesture at least. At least you could make something out. You barely can see anything other than title - dev/pub/rating on it.

edit: even the second one pa22word linked would've been 100 times better than the current.

Really? I far prefer the current one. I think the hand gesture one is horrible.

That said I think this piece of art is better than all of them:

ASw1FNy.jpg

Wish they made the box art out of this.

Karak

Really? I far prefer the current one. I think the hand gesture one is horrible.

That said I think this piece of art is better than all of them:

ASw1FNy.jpg

Wish they made the box art out of this.

That would have been an incredible boxart.
Though I thought the box looked good as it was.

pa22word

Awesome, thanks!

EDIT: Damn it lol. Well its the thought that counts.

You get 12$ credit or $8 back (which is pretty close to 20% of 45 anyways) anyways, though. If you take the credit you can turn around and use that + the 25% voucher running around out there atm for a cheeeeeeap Batman Origins or select few other games. Doing this I got the XCOM Collection (including EU), The Bureau, Batman Origins, and Spec Ops for around $70. Tis a great deal.

FloatOn

I'm in full agreement with the other poster that said Bioshock 2 was one of the best FPS from this gen. It's easily my favorite Bioshock game from a gameplay perspective. So I have quite a bit of faith in 2k Marin.

What sets this one apart from every other squad based tactical shooter is just how much control you seemingly have over your squad mates. From everything I've seen this looks like a real time version of the turn based strategy. The importance of the idea of permadeath being in place in an AAA third person shooter at this point in time cannot be overstated. This will be what separates it from any other squad based shooter from this gen.

I can't wait.

lucius

This looks more interesting to me than Splinter Cell, hope it turns out good. I am still finishing Xcom: Enemy Unknown what a great game.

Top Bottom