• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Cassini-Huygens Mission (Saturn) 56k caution

Status
Not open for further replies.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Didn't expect us to start seeing stuff from this so soon - I had thought it'd be kicking off in December. Kind of amazing to think this launched back in 97. It's finally getting there though - here are some cool pics from its approach to Saturn:

60011main_pia05981-516-726.jpg

60118main_pia06060-516-516.jpg

60140main_pia05401-516-333.jpg

59723main_pia05392-516-305.jpg

The final pic is of Titan, one of Saturn's moons. Part of the mission will actually be to send a probe down onto Titan - it should be really spectacular to see what it's like - they expect a heavy atmosphere and seas of organic goop. Similarly, I can't wait to see the Saturn images once the probe gets into close orbit..the rings should just be amazing. Hopefully it'll all be hi-res, full colour :)

edit - wow, just read that the probe will approach saturn from the underside of the rings, and then pass up through a gap in the rings to get to the other side. That'll be some nifty flying, and should be pretty damn impressive.

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
Some of those look like crappy renders :p but seriously I can't wait for more info to come out of these probes, its going to be great.

When does the titan probe go?

navigating the rings (which are essentially rock belts should be fun ;P

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
scola said:
Some of those look like crappy renders :p but seriously I can't wait for more info to come out of these probes, its going to be great.

When does the titan probe go?

navigating the rings (which are essentially rock belts should be fun ;P

Titan, I believe, goes in December. I'm thinking it may be the most compelling part of the mission, as long as the ESA has better luck getting it onto Titan than they did with Beagle on Mars.

It should be amazing to be so close to the rings.

V

Vennt

Unconfirmed Member
I can't wait to see the results of flying through the Cassini Division, thats one hell of a move on the controllers part, given that it's only about 3000 miles wide.

We should learn quite a bit about Saturns rings this time round, previous flybys (Pioneer & Voyager) have seen the discovery of the E, F & G rings, and the Enke Division (Between the A & F ring.)

Freeburn.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom