• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Chronicles of Riddick: Escape From Butcher Bay is 10 years old.

One of the best looking, best playing games of the Xbox generation - hands down. The shitty demo nearly put me off purchasing the full title, but luckily my love of the IP overcame the bad first impression. I can say without hyperbole that it would have been the worst decision of my life to pass up Riddick.

the shit demo mixed with the shit movie DID keep me off the game when it originally came out. Then it was in the top 5 of Eurogamer's GotY and had to check my face and got it for cheap

shit had me lookin' like James Franco in Spider-Man 3

Dwight Schultz has appeared in a few Starbreeze games and he was in MachineGames Wolfenstein game as well. In Riddick he played Hoxie, in The Darkness he played Uncle Paulie and in Wolfenstein he plays DeathsHead. Great voice actor and very talented :)

Holy hell he's Deathshead? Wow I couldn't tell at all- thanks for that info. And yes, he really is fantastic in so many roles.

Didn't realize a bunch of ex starbreeze employees started machine games and made the new wolfenstein. Looks like I have to make another purchase this week :( I'm going to be fucking broke.

EDIT: Is starbreeze still around?

Really liked EFBB when I played it some years ago. Will buy from GOG when I get my new PC and play it again and AoDA for a first time.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
One of the best looking, best playing games of the Xbox generation - hands down. The shitty demo nearly put me off purchasing the full title, but luckily my love of the IP overcame the bad first impression. I can say without hyperbole that it would have been the worst decision of my life to pass up Riddick.

Really? The demo is what blew me away. I was for Doom 3 at the time thinking the Doom 3 engine being ported to X-box was mind-blowing. NO SIR, that demo is what blew me away.

Never got around to buying the X-box version day one until like... the X-box died and it was like... 2006/2007? Sometime around then when Gamestop started to phase out X-box titles. Grabbed that sucker, went through it and then played Dark Athena and Butcher Bay AGAIN on the 360. Even bought the PS3 AND PC (GoG) version of Dark Athena for Butcher Bay's upgrades.

Haven't given the PS3 copy a spin yet. I probably should.

Ten years? Time sure does fly! Happy Birthday to an incredibly immerse game for its time and one that even holds up today with its fantastic stealth, and melee system in this fps.

I can only hope there will one day be a third game or that more games will be like it.

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
Holy hell he's Deathshead? Wow I couldn't tell at all- thanks for that info. And yes, he really is fantastic in so many roles.

I honestly had no clue either :p It's only when I looked him up I saw he was in The Darkness/Riddick as well. He's done a loooooad of games.

eso76

Wait, it came out the same year as half life 2 ??
Now that's impressive, because it looks and feels slightly more modern, even.

It was an incredible game on the Xbox, both technically and in terms of design and planning.
Too bad Starbreeze wasn't nearly as good at squeezing the x360 hardware as it was with OG Xbox.

I have the 360 version too with AODA but basically didn't play either. EFBB only had one problem: a rather boring fetch quest rather early on and I couldn't bring myself to get past that for the third time (had already completed the game twice on Xbox) while AODA didn't hook me in the first few minutes and I forgot about it.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
At first I forgot the original was released on the Xbox so my reaction was "Huh, how does 360 graphics look like current gen?" then it hit me.

I've always wanted to play this game. I've only played te PS3 demo of Dark Athena and it blew me away, and I like Pitch Black quite a bit. Unfortunately my lack of a functional PS3 will probably keep me from ever playing it unless I can get it to work on Wine on my MacBook Pro.

KORNdoggy

One of my favourite FPS's of all time, right alongside the likes of half life 2, strangers wrath, doom 3 and the recently added wolfenstein new order. great mix of shooting, stealth, and adventure game elements and one of the first examples of a not-quite-movie tie in that wasn't awful.

jesu

Didn't realize a bunch of ex starbreeze employees started machine games and made the new wolfenstein. Looks like I have to make another purchase this week :( I'm going to be fucking broke.

Starbreeze made Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons most recently, so they still have some talent there, that was a great game.

it was brilliant for its time. And afaik the first to use screen color codings for "being in hiding", which would unfortunately become the "red screen of death" aka "can't see shit, so I'm dead anyway because I can't fucking see anything" aka modern shooters.

and not constant shooting, which was a very good solution to common pacing problems.

Grief.exe

Yes. If you haven't played Brothers, treat yourself to the experience right now. The PC version is amazing.

isdrsyzSfYQEV.png

iiJCrOsuM7rfW.png

Easy_D

never left the stone age
While I do think Dark Athena overall looks better, I like the warmer tones of the original game more than the blue hue they gave the remake.

I'll also add to this. This is one of my favorite games of all time. Immersive environment with RPG elements. Fantastic melee combat with the dual triggers.

Something that sticks out is when you shoot the dead bodies in the game, the bullets create individual bullet holes each time with blood splatter. It may sound weird, but little details like that are awesome and satisfying.

I was amazed when this was released in 2004, did everything Doom 3 did better. The action, the graphics, the Half-Life feel from the mini HUB system.

Damn great game.

Grief.exe

Didnt Vin Diesel say he wanted to make another Riddick game?

He may have even picked up the license from Atari's corpse.

I would love to see a Dark Athena DRM-free Steam rerelease and a PC/current-gen sequel.

I really thought Starbreeze were going to be the next big developer. Shame they were just one hit wonders

What?

Riddick
Darkness
Brothers
are some amazing games from the studio

Darkness II, Dark Athena, and Syndicate are considered good as well. The studio behind Payday 1/2 was recently purchased by them.

jetjevons

Bish loves my games!
Whatever happened to Sin City jet?

In the end Red Mile went with Transmission games (an Australian developer) and, well, let's just say things didn't work out.

It's too bad. I sank over a year of my life into that project.

True fact: At one point we were this close to signing Rocksteady to develop Sin City.

Instead they went on to do Arkham Asylum.

Scrabble

I'll also add to this. This is one of my favorite games of all time. Immersive environment with RPG elements. Fantastic melee combat with the dual triggers.

Something that sticks out is when you shoot the dead bodies in the game, the bullets create individual bullet holes each time with blood splatter. It may sound weird, but little details like that are awesome and satisfying.

Bullet holes in walls will also cool down after a second or two. There's so many little touches that make Butcher Bay as good as it is. One of them being every npc having their own unique voice. What other game has done that? As well as being one of the first games to really make first person feel like you're a person, and not some disembodied camera floating above the ground. If you're crouched Riddick will even rest his hands on his knees.

Simo

In the end Red Mile went with Transmission games (an Australian developer) and, well, let's just say things didn't work out.

It's too bad. I sank over a year of my life into that project.

True fact: At one point we were this close to signing Rocksteady to develop Sin City.

Instead they went on to do Arkham Asylum.

tumblr_mba4noYOvo1rnmgi3o1_500.gif

Aww man that fucking sucks. Sorry to hear that jet. :(

I've still got the original PMs from 2005 when we were talking about it shortly after the movie came out and then....silence. Aside from some concept art nothing was seen or heard from the project but that explains why.

Is it totally dead now and nobody has the license? The potential seemed great but perhaps the moment has passed now.

jetjevons

Bish loves my games!
tumblr_mba4noYOvo1rnmgi3o1_500.gif

Aww man that fucking sucks. Sorry to hear that jet. :(

I've still got the original PMs from 2005 when we were talking about it shortly after the movie came out and then....silence. Aside from some concept art nothing was seen or heard from the project but that explains why.

Is it totally dead now and nobody has the license? The potential seemed great but perhaps the moment has passed now.

Not wanting to derail a Riddick thread with Sin City discussion but I believe the rights are still available. I could be wrong.

Speaking of Riddick I remember a friend from Starbreeze came to visit in Santa Monica a few months before the US release and brought a near final build of Butcher Bay on an Xbox Devkit. We were just starting to talk to them about The Darkness at the time. I took the kit home and played the whole thing through from start to finish in one night. I knew the team pretty well (from producing Enclave) and I knew a little bit about EFBB but had no idea how good it was going to be. Needless to say it is one of my most cherished gaming memories.

Deku Tree

I remember pre-ordering butcher Bay for my Xbox. One of my favorite OG Xbox games. Much better than the movies. Good times.

One of mt favorite games of all time. Never got around to Dark Athena, and I think I should fix that this weekend. Bought this of GOG Last year. Game still looks great, thanks to the amazing lighting.

Head.spawn

Glad to see this game getting love on here. The Darkness was another favorite of mine, Payday 2, Brothers are great as well. I'm not totally sure how Machinegames fits in, but I'm enjoying Wolfenstein as well.

Fusebox

Banned
I remember the graphics blowing me away at the time but at one stage toward the end of the game I got stuck/lost/confused/glitched or something and never finished it.

Top Bottom