• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Criterion Collection in 2017: All Fancy Movie GAF Releases Welcome!

I've watched four of the Battles Without Honour movies now and damn are they good. This is easily one of the best sets I've ever bought on blu (or at least one of my favourites) and Arrow did a fantastic job with the transfers.

It's cool you took the 'gamble' and blind bought them all, glad you're enjoying them :)

XShagrath

YOU GOTTA PACE YOURSELF MAN
GOTTA CATCH EM ALL!!!

This is pacing myself. I only do two big sprees a year. A lot of that money was XMas money from my mother, so that knocked out quite a few. Additionally, I was able to use the 30% off coupon on almost all of them, putting them at about $13.50 a piece.

Fjordson

It's cool you took the 'gamble' and blind bought them all, glad you're enjoying them :)
Yeah, I'd somehow never even heard of the series before, but wow. Best blind buy for me in a long, long time.

All I can wonder now is if Arrow would be able to put out the "New Battles" trilogy that Fukasaku did shortly after these five. I need more!

Steamlord

Speaking of Japanese cinema we really need some Nakagawa blu-ray releases, namely Jigoku and The Ghost of Yotsuya. Onibaba would be nice too, since they've already released Kuroneko. And while I'm on my old-school J-horror tangent, I also want Synapse to release Horrors of Malformed Men on blu-ray, since they currently only have it on DVD.

I also don't understand what the holdup is with Dreyer's films. I know there's a Region B collection but come on. Anyway, the BFI collection doesn't include The Passion of Joan of Arc or Vampyr, though MoC has a Joan of Arc blu-ray. Criterion's only Dreyer blu-ray is Master of the House. What's up with that? Licensing issues?

It is my dream to see Vampyr on blu-ray. Can you imagine?

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
20% off sale happening right now at the Criterion site from now until Dec 11 using code HAPPY at checkout.

berzeli

Banned
Eureka just announced this for February (limited to 1500 copies):
12362771_1121224854554876_3029608399909528187_o.jpg
I would've liked a separate release for Pigsty, love that art. (Yes I would be willing to spend more for fancy covers, don't judge me)

berzeli

Banned
And their second title for February has been revealed:
CV3QstdXIAATcaB.jpg

Arrow has released their (disappointing) UK only slate for March: Two stand alone releases from their Fassbinder boxset (Fear Eats the Soul, and The Merchant of Four Seasons + Beware of a Holy Whore) as well as Richard Linklater's Waking Life (no packshot)

omgkitty

I've ended up with two copies of The Apu Trilogy, and obviously don't need both, so if someone wants it, let me know. I'll sell it for a little below 50% off.

berzeli

Banned
So uh, I guess we're not that interested in Arrow's offerings for March then:
US Only:
CV9QASYWoAA3rv5.jpg

CV9P23fWwAAygcj.jpg

UK & US:
CV9QgdWWcAAISMJ.jpg

Also since Studiocanal managed to produce another great cover in their Vintage Classics line, I feel that it's warranted to include it:

edit:
Almost forgot, Arrow also announced that they're making a book
Cult_Cinema_Page_Sample_2-500x500.jpg

omgkitty

When was the last time we actually got a Criterion announcement on the 15th?

Going off a schedule Criterion has to show off A Brighter Summer Day and The Manchurian Candidate at the Wexner, it looks like those should get announced tomorrow for March releases. We may also be getting Paris Belongs to Us, A Poem is a Naked Person and Boyhood going by pages found on the site.

When was the last time we actually got a Criterion announcement on the 15th?

Going off a schedule Criterion has to show off A Brighter Summer Day and The Manchurian Candidate at the Wexner, it looks like those should get announced tomorrow for March releases. We may also be getting Paris Belongs to Us, A Poem is a Naked Person and Boyhood going by pages found on the site.

If this doesn't happen kitty we are going to fight.

omgkitty

I'm going to make a new thread here in a few days, but I wanted to change it from just being the Criterion thread to something that includes all of the art house cinema releases now since the market is much different now than it was a few years ago. Any thoughts on a good title?

I'm going to make a new thread here in a few days, but I wanted to change it from just being the Criterion thread to something that includes all of the art house cinema releases now since the market is much different now than it was a few years ago. Any thoughts on a good title?

Criterion Collection 2016 (feat. Everything Else) |OT| Because the art house can only have one landlord.

Fedora Movies 2016 |OT| M'lady watches only the finest of remastered foreign cinema

Steamlord

Patrician Cinema GAF |OT| Plebeian novices also welcome

Art House Cinema GAF |OT| My favorite films are Citizen Kane and The Boondock Saints

cj_iwakura

Patrician Cinema GAF |OT| Plebeian novices also welcome

Art House Cinema GAF |OT| My favorite films are Citizen Kane and The Boondock Saints

The latter does pretty well encapsulate Criterion's tastes(and I love them for it). What other 'art house' label is as likely to do Kurosawa and Fellini as Bay and Verhoeven?

swoon

man don't put boondock saints in the thread title. noe is more art house trash than saints.

just keep it the same, people only really care about criterion and moc anyway.

Guzim

Hulu has both Lady Snowblood films. The blu-ray comes out next week, and I pre-ordered it. I watched them last night on Hulu, and Criterion did a fantastic job (shocker!). I can't wait to get the blu-ray next week.

Steamlord

The latter does pretty well encapsulate Criterion's tastes(and I love them for it). What other 'art house' label is as likely to do Kurosawa and Fellini as Bay and Verhoeven?

man don't put boondock saints in the thread title. noe is more art house trash than saints.

just keep it the same, people only really care about criterion and moc anyway.

Lol, it's a quote from some episode of The Office that I remember made me laugh my ass off.

Ah, here it is.

Ridley327

Can't post it from where I'm at, but the New Year's teaser is up!

So glad to see that they got their hands on the Lone Wolf & Cub films. I figured it was only a matter of time after they secured all of the original Zatoichi films and are just about to put out the Lady Snowblood films, but still, no need to try and spend whatever the hell the AnimEigo set goes for these days for interlaced transfers.

omgkitty

Going off what I've seen and read elsewhere:

Chimes at Midnight
Dr. Strangelove
Here Comes Mr. Jordan
Lone Wolf and Cub
McCabe and Mrs Miller
Naked Island
The New World
The Squid and the Whale
Phoenix
Exterminating Angel
Oliver Twist

Ridley327

Three Kings is about as obvious a clue there as actually drawing McCabe in front of them, but it does have some rather exciting implications for the WB deal if they can nab something that recent. Valley of the Dolls is a bit more subtle, but it's still some dolls sitting in a valley. Hopefully, they got the far superior Beyond the Valley of the Dolls in that deal.

I think I saw people looking at the sparkling planet as an hint at Fantastic Planet, which would be fantastic news (hah), but it seems like one of those clues that could also go in another direction.

omgkitty

I hope it is Fantastic Planet...it's been out on blu-ray for several years in other territories and has yet to be released in the US.

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
Dr. Strangelove? Please be true, if only we could get all of Kubrick on Criterion.

Ridley327

JFK? Warner Bros does own the rights.

It's possible, but I'd be surprised since WB themselves put out a fully loaded Blu-ray not that long ago and is still very much in print. I guess there might be some merit if they wound up offering both the theatrical cut and the extended version, but other than that, it'd be a weird get.

Top Bottom