• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Criterion Collection in 2017: All Fancy Movie GAF Releases Welcome!

MikeMyers

Well shit...

12227035_1079661525401174_4789898112928454207_n.jpg

Kinda wish they'd slow the fuck down with all these box sets. Seems like there's a new one announced almost every month. I'm tempted to get this, but then I also already own the 3 Criterion releases.
Wait, is that collection available in the US? I'd buy that ASAP.

I'll get the Oshima film and The Kid. I really don't like The Graduate. I've seen it twice, and too much of it bothers me on an aesthetic and sound level for me to ever like it. Do love ending though.

omgkitty

Kudos to Arrow's shipping also. The box is in perfect condition. If this had come from Amazon it'd probably be fucked up.

Yep, like my Apu set I got this week, the top of the box was crushed. Immediately sent it back and requested a replacement. If Amazon is going to insist on going cheap with their packaging, I'm just going to keep sending stuff back. They're going to eat the cost somewhere.

Ridley327

Screen Archives Entertainment is doing a big holiday sale starting today on Twilight Time titles, to go along with the new crop of pre-orders.

For a limited time only $10 OFF SELECTED TWILIGHT TIME TITLES! Sale begins NOVEMBER 20TH AT 4 PM EDT and ENDS DECEMBER 13TH AT 4 PM EDT! ALL ORDERS MUST BE SUBMITTED DURING THE SALE PERIOD TO GET THE SALE PRICE, NO PREVIOUS OR PENDING ORDERS QUALIFY. No codes needed, selected titles will have their prices marked down and notated that they are on sale.

THESE TITLES HAVE A SALES PRICE OF $14.95!

ANGEL (AKA DANNY BOY / 1982)
A MONTH IN THE COUNTRY (1987)
CARLA'S SONG (1996)
BANDIT QUEEN (1994)

THESE TITLES HAVE A SALES PRICE OF $19.95!

AUDREY ROSE (1977)
THE BELIEVERS (1987)
THE VANISHING (1993)
UNDER FIRE (1983)
BIRDMAN OF ALCATRAZ (1962)
JUDGMENT AT NUREMBERG (1961)
WHEN THE WIND BLOWS (1986) WITH JIMMY MURAKAMI: NON-ALIEN (2010)
FLAMING STAR (1960)
BUNNY LAKE IS MISSING (1965)
THE TWILIGHT SAMURAI (2002)
YENTL (1983)
FUNNY LADY (1975)
INHERIT THE WIND (1960)
HEAVEN AND EARTH (1993) REGION a ONLY
THE PRIME OF MISS JEAN BRODIE (1969)
THE FORTUNE (1975)
THE BRIDE WORE BLACK (1968)
THE PURPLE ROSE OF CAIRO (1985)
BREAKING AWAY (1979)
LENNY (1974)
LOVE AND DEATH (1975)
THE ST. VALENTINE'S DAY MASSACRE (1967)
STORMY WEATHER (1943)
TO SIR, WITH LOVE (1967)
THE BOUNTY (1984)
SOLOMON AND SHEBA (1959)
FIRST MEN IN THE MOON (1964)
U TURN (1997)
THE STORY OF ADELE H. (1975)
THE FANTASTICKS (1995-2000)
APRIL LOVE (1957)
THE REMAINS OF THE DAY (1993)
RICHARD III (1995)
ZARDOZ (1974)
A MAN FOR ALL SEASONS (1966)
MISSISSIPPI BURNING (1988)
AMERICAN BUFFALO (1996)
HOMBRE (1967)
ABSOLUTE BEGINNERS (1986)
STATE OF GRACE (1990)
MISSISSIPPI MERMAID (1969)
THE YOUNG LIONS (1958)
THE NIGHT OF THE GENERALS (1967)
THE WORLD OF HENRY ORIENT (1964)
THE FABULOUS BAKER BOYS (1989)
THE BEST OF EVERYTHING (1959)
PLACES IN THE HEART (1984)
A MIDSUMMER NIGHT'S SEX COMEDY (1982)
SUMMER LOVERS (1982)
GUESS WHO'S COMING TO DINNER (1967)
HOUSE OF BAMBOO (1955)
THE LITTLE HOUSE (CHIISAI OUCHI / 2014)
AT CLOSE RANGE (1986)
10 TO MIDNIGHT (1983)
FAT CITY (1972)
EMPEROR OF THE NORTH (1973)

They're also throwing up a free copy of The Fantasticks, singed by Jean Lousia Kelly, for any order over $119.70. They didn't mention a total number of signed copies, but I wouldn't exactly dally if you're looking to get one.

Ridley327

Usually those signed copies sell out immediately, so it's probably gone already.

YOU ARE ALREADY BOUGHT

Oh, I forgot to mention that the new pre-orders going live at the same time as everything else will be Born Free, Nineteen Eighty-Four, Kings Go Forth, The Detective, a reissue of Mysterious Island and a 3D/2D combo pack for Captain Harlock: Space Pirate.

omgkitty

YOU ARE ALREADY BOUGHT

Oh, I forgot to mention that the new pre-orders going live at the same time as everything else will be Born Free, Nineteen Eighty-Four, Kings Go Forth, The Detective, a reissue of Mysterious Island and a 3D/2D combo pack for Captain Harlock: Space Pirate.

I listen to the CriterionCast on occassion, and Ryan always talks about these things every month. I've never bought a Twilight Time blu-ray before :\

Fjordson

Watched the first two films in the Battles set. Amazing! One of the better blind buys for me in a long time just based on those two.

JTripper

For anyone picking up Criterions at B&N on black friday, the 30% can supposedly be used twice, once in store and once online.

It can actually be used multiple times in store, but I guess it all depends on your cashier and whether or not they let you.

She was remarkable and lived a long life. Not sure if I've seen her outside of Ozu films though, but she also retired pretty early on. I'd like to read about her, don't know much about her life outside of the handful of films I've seen her in. She was just one of those actresses like Ingrid Bergman that felt like the camera was made just for her.

Yep, I got it to work on the Cassavetes box set up. I always plan on getting more than I actually can cause I'm always behind on stuff. But I'm getting 4 Wes Anderson films and the Cassavetes. Real want to get some Chaplins and Ozu though...

Draconian

After finally tracking down a copy and watching it last week, I sincerely hope The Magnificent Ambersons makes it into the collection at some point. What a film.

I'm really bad at solving their newsletter hints. But anyway, I saw Phoenix in theaters. I liked it. It's a solid film and as said everywhere else, the ending is pure perfection. It's difficult to be harsh to it in regards to the film's very slow pacing because it has a short runtime (and never overstays its welcome), but it's impossible to not compare it to Vertigo and Hitchcock in general.

overcast

So I ended up getting a few this sale.

Mulholland
Day For Night
Ikiru
La Haine
Rashomon (for my brother, even if I love that movie)

Ikiru and La Haine were both about 13-14 bucks with that 30% off coupon. Very happy.

Steamlord

During the sale I bought Seven Samurai, Yojimbo/Sanjuro, High and Low, The Complete Jean Vigo, The Phantom Carriage, Harakiri, Summer Interlude, and Late Spring. I hate myself.

Fjordson

I've watched four of the Battles Without Honour movies now and damn are they good. This is easily one of the best sets I've ever bought on blu (or at least one of my favourites) and Arrow did a fantastic job with the transfers.

XShagrath

During the sale I bought Seven Samurai, Yojimbo/Sanjuro, High and Low, The Complete Jean Vigo, The Phantom Carriage, Harakiri, Summer Interlude, and Late Spring. I hate myself.

You definitely got some good stuff. If you hate yourself, I don't know how I should feel. I grabbed over 70 during the sale.

Top Bottom