• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Criterion Collection in 2017: All Fancy Movie GAF Releases Welcome!

omgkitty

The differences between the Arrow and Criterion versions of Lady Snowblood is crazy.

Top is Arrow. Bottom Criterion:

800__lady_snowblood_blu-ray_01_.jpg

800__lady_snowblood_01_blu-ray__blu-ray_.jpg

800__lady_snowblood_blu-ray_08_.jpg

800__lady_snowblood_07_blu-ray__blu-ray_.jpg

800__lady_snowblood_blu-ray_x02_.jpg

800__lady_snowblood2_2-02_blu-ray__blu-ray_.jpg

More here.

Fjordson

I think the images aren't loading because they're linked. Just look at the link. The criterion transfer reminds me of their All That Heaven Allows transfer.
Ohh okay now I see. Wow, definitely a lot different. A bit bright in spots, but seems like a nice upgrade overall.

cj_iwakura

On crappy LTE right now, pics won't load. Is the Criterion better?

They're masters at restoration, watching the before/after on things like 3:10 To Yuma and Rashomon blows my mind.

That said, I'm not always a fan of their translations. They tend to go for more making the spirit of the translation more spicy than being faithful, but it's never that offensive... just sometimes blatantly inaccurate.

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
Snowblood looks absurdly different than any previous version I've watched, to the point that I'm skeptical of how faithful they actually were to the original prints. Wouldn't be the first time Criterion thought they knew better than the filmmakers.

Thought they said New world and Before Trilogy last year. Deceit.

lol, they used to include catalogs in each DVD during the '90s and there are numerous films listed as "coming soon!" in those that still haven't materialized.

Ridley327

You know, as nice as those screencaps look, they don't seem like they're in the keeping of that era of chanbara films, which gravitated more towards the look of the Arrow caps than the Criterion. The one that really jumps out at me is the one with the man in the water: you can tell he's in murky water in the Arrow grab, but he looks like he's being pulled into tar in the Criterion grab.

A recent-ish example of this happening was the massive level of disparity that Miramax's release of Zatoichi: The Blind Swordsman had versus virtually every other release in the color department. The Miramax release is way the hell more colorful, but every other release had a more muted palette, which is more in keeping with how the original films with Shintaro Katsu looked. Given Miramax's history with foreign films at the time, I doubt very much they had Kitano signing off on their version.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
Muted palettes in old movies are usually just the result of fading prints. I'd hesitate to make a judgement call on that without a three-strip Technicolor reference.

Fjordson

Got Lady Snowblood in from Amazon. Love the cover and love that it's an OG full closed case, but I wish Criterion would bring back booklets instead of just the foldout poster thing (small nitpick I know).

berzeli

Banned
The differences between the Arrow and Criterion versions of Lady Snowblood is crazy.

Top is Arrow. Bottom Criterion:

More here.

Uuuh, that's quite different.

You know, as nice as those screencaps look, they don't seem like they're in the keeping of that era of chanbara films, which gravitated more towards the look of the Arrow caps than the Criterion. The one that really jumps out at me is the one with the man in the water: you can tell he's in murky water in the Arrow grab, but he looks like he's being pulled into tar in the Criterion grab.

A recent-ish example of this happening was the massive level of disparity that Miramax's release of Zatoichi: The Blind Swordsman had versus virtually every other release in the color department. The Miramax release is way the hell more colorful, but every other release had a more muted palette, which is more in keeping with how the original films with Shintaro Katsu looked. Given Miramax's history with foreign films at the time, I doubt very much they had Kitano signing off on their version.

Yeah, something is off with the Criterion one, it looks good but it doesn't look accurate. And I can't tell because I'm not at home so I'm on a laptop with an inaccurate display but aren't the blacks really crushed?

Great example btw, that Miramax release was so odd.

Muted palettes in old movies are usually just the result of fading prints. I'd hesitate to make a judgement call on that without a three-strip Technicolor reference.

[Citation needed]

To be less snarky and expand upon why I think that is a bad argument; yes there are a lot of releases of older films that look way more muted than they should. But there are also many, many older films with an intentionally muted palette (I might even add especially so in the 70s) so assuming that a muted palette on a release is an error is making quite the leap.

I do agree with you that making an absolute judgement on this matter is premature (and I really shouldn't get into this since I'm not even on a calibrated display), but the look of the Criterion does not match what I would expect of a Japanese film in that genre, from that decade and like I said above the blacks seem crushed (yet again, I'm on a less than ideal display so don't take my word as gospel)

Probably picking up that Gangster VIP set. Haven't seen them (I've heard the first was good) but that artwork looks dope and I enjoyed Rusty Knife enough to check these out.

omgkitty

Decided to try and pick up Merry Christmas Mr. Lawrence today after realizing it wasn't on Hulu, and now you can't find it for anywhere under $30.

Ordered Sword of Doom since I haven't seen it in Blu so imagine it will be stunning, and Three Outlaw Samurai which is a blind buy but it looks pretty dope.

Ridley327

A phantom page is already up for Only Angels Have Wings at spine #806, so announcements might actually be coming on the 15th for a change!

Me too. I wished I liked it more. I don't think I'll be getting any of them, but I most definitely will just end up renting the blu rays if netflix stocks them.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Twilight Time has The Last Detail on blu, every now and then they get something must-have. No Woody for a long while though, it seems.

Yep I got my copy. I'll dive into the supplementals soon, but I'm pretty bad at re-watching films on a regular basis. Although I only did see it once in theaters.

berzeli

Banned
Studiocanal will finally release a newly restored version of Akira Kurosawa's Ran. As someone who owns their previous effort, it can only be better. No word on US release, Lionsgate did release the previous version but have basically released fuck all lately in terms of Studiocanal back catalogue releases.

The British Film Institute will release Richard Loncraine's film Richard III. If you missed out on Twilight Time's release or just have access to a region B player BFI is here to save the day.

berzeli

Banned
I still haven't seen Ran, but I've always thought Tatsuya Nakadai looked crazy in that movie.

ran3y.jpeg

It's absolutely terrific so if you're able to you should check it out. The 4K restoration is getting a US cinema release at least (though limited), if you don't have a region free player or Lionsgate actually end up releasing it on blu-ray.
And for you second point, it is an adaption of King Lear after all.

omgkitty

It's absolutely terrific so if you're able to you should check it out. The 4K restoration is getting a US cinema release at least (though limited), if you don't have a region free player or Lionsgate actually end up releasing it on blu-ray.
And for you second point, it is an adaption of King Lear after all.

I actually have the old Studiocanal version lol. The run time has put me off so I just haven't gotten around to it yet.

berzeli

Banned
I actually have the old Studiocanal version lol. The run time has put me off so I just haven't gotten around to it yet.

Understandably, but it doesn't feel like nearly three hours long at all, it's one of those utterly captivating films that just grabs your attention and manages to hold it for the entire duration. But yeah, I understand why. I put off Ben-Hur and Lawrence of Arabia for the longest time because of the same reason. Still haven't seen Gone with the Wind for that reason (and well, the racism doesn't help).

omgkitty

Understandably, but it doesn't feel like nearly three hours long at all, it's one of those utterly captivating films that just grabs your attention and manages to hold it for the entire duration. But yeah, I understand why. I put off Ben-Hur and Lawrence of Arabia for the longest time because of the same reason. Still haven't seen Gone with the Wind for that reason (and well, the racism doesn't help).

Lawrence of Arabia might be the shortest long film I've ever seen. The movie just goes.

Top Bottom