• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion |OT|

purg3

slept with Malkin
raYne said:
*shrugs* I've never had that happen. Then again, I don't fill one cabinet with everything just because of the slowdown, so I probably never will.

I have individual lockers for weapons, armor, alchemey tools/ingredients, regular clothes/jewels etc. I also sell all duplicates in my collection just to make everything streamlined and keep things efficient.

That's a good idea, considering I own a couple of the larger houses in the game and I have all my extra stuff in one chest at the waterfront shack; go figure. The slowdown is extremely noticable when I got to open that chest, maybe it's time to start using one of the other house I bought.

raYne

purgeface said:
That's a good idea, considering I own a couple of the larger houses in the game and I have all my extra stuff in one chest at the waterfront shack; go figure. The slowdown is extremely noticable when I got to open that chest, maybe it's time to start using one of the other house I bought.
Good luck with that. I considered moving collection from my Anvil house to Skingrad but it's just WAY too much so I never bothered. If you have any kind of collection it's gonna be hell.

GhaleonEB

purgeface said:
I keep everything in the shack at the waterfront as well. I put all my keys, notes, books etc. that I don't need into the cupboard, my stolen loot into a chest and other misc. stuff in the other container. That was things are broken up. So far no issues, loading or otherwise, in those three.

(Then again I've stopped doing alchemy and only have vampire dust and ninroots on hand, so that helps as well.)

raYne said:
Good luck with that. I considered moving collection from my Anvil house to Skingrad but it's just WAY too much so I never bothered. If you have any kind of collection it's gonna be hell.

Yep! I agree. I thought about moving stuff to a different house, specifically the Wizard's Tower DLC, but the mere thought of it made me lose interest. Didn't bother with the Wizard's Tower after that. :lol

In fact, up until recently, I only owned one house. The one in Skingrad, because I knew I'd get confused on where I left stuff if I started buying all the houses in the game. Just didn't see the need for it except for the collection factor. I recently did the Spirits Have Lease quest though, so I have that house now too. With nothing in it.

raYne

Kung Fu Jedi said:
In fact, up until recently, I only owned one house. The one in Skingrad, because I knew I'd get confused on where I left stuff if I started buying all the houses in the game. Just didn't see the need for it except for the collection factor. I recently did the Spirits Have Lease quest though, so I have that house now too. With nothing in it.
Yeah, I was just trying to give my servant (Skingrad) something to do by having her watch my collection. I only stop in when I'm in the neighborhood, maybe once a week or so... if that! No doubt she does nothing all day but eat and sleep.

Good thing she keeps food handy when I do stop by... her ass would be so fired if that wasn't the case.

purg3

slept with Malkin
raYne said:

Ugh, I have a huge collection of stuff, like multiples of every type of armor and weapons, and a crapload of other stuff. I'll start moving some stuff around and see how that goes. Plus since I finished all of the guild/main quest, it's not like I have any pressing matters to deal with in the game anyway.

raYne

If it weren't for the weight cap you'd have some hope... I'll pray for you!

..and by "pray" I mean take all your stuff after you die from exhaustion

raYne said:
Yeah, I was just trying to give my servant (Skingrad) something to do by having her watch my collection. I only stop in when I'm in the neighborhood, maybe once a week or so... if that! No doubt she does nothing all day but eat and sleep.

Good thing she keeps food handy when I do stop by... her ass would be so fired if that wasn't the case.

Wait a second! How do you get a servant??

Dr_Cogent

Banned
Kung Fu Jedi said:
Wait a second! How do you get a servant??

There is a store in town you can go in and if you talk to her she offers her services. Hell, I haven't even been to the house since I hired her, so I don't know what - if anything - she does.

It's pretty useless if you ask me, but since I had tons of money - I did it.

Nerevar

they call me "Man Gravy".
raYne said:
*shrugs* I've never had that happen. Then again, I don't fill one cabinet with everything just because of the slowdown, so I probably never will.

I have individual lockers for weapons, armor, alchemey tools/ingredients, regular clothes/jewels etc. I also sell all duplicates in my collection just to make everything streamlined and keep things efficient.

it's a bug that doesn't appear to be directly related to how much stuff you have in a chest, only indirectly (i.e. the more stuff you have, the more likely you are to see it). One of my chests in the wizards tower has 3 daedric longswords, a daedric shortsword, and 1 ebony claymore. I can't put anything else in it and see it on the listing without taking the daedric longswords out. This started off as my "weapons chest", with literally stacks of glass and ebony longswords and shortswords, as well as the odd mace or two and all my enchanted weapons as well. When I finally hit the level that I started seeing daedric stuff, I dropped that in, and noticed it wasn't appearing. It wouldn't appear until I took EVERYTHING else out, and now when I have those in nothing else shows up. It's really annoying. Now I just have to have two weapons chests.

purnoman3000 said:
It's actually a quest after you purchase a house. I forget which town it is though.

I'm guessing Skingrad since that's what others have mentioned. Guess I need to go fire up Oblivion and see if I can find this servant. Does she come with a French Maid outfit? :D

GhaleonEB

Kung Fu Jedi said:
I'm guessing Skingrad since that's what others have mentioned. Guess I need to go fire up Oblivion and see if I can find this servant. Does she come with a French Maid outfit? :D
I'll have to check that out. :)

I just beat the Mage's Guild. I'm pretty disappointed with the writing in it, especially compated to the DB. But lots of it just lacked any sense at all.
First of all, how was the Bruma Mage's Guild sacked yet no one in town noticed? WTF? All those guards just smoking a bong or something? Second, I go back to the Arch-Mage and tell him, and his response is, "We'll need a few days to digest this information." What? Okay, one of your guilds just got sacked, and you're sitting on your ass for two days? Will do.

Then, of course, two factions head off to different areas with artifacts never mentioned before, taken by people I'd never met before. They both hide in forts. Hmm, I wonder if they're bad guys and I have to kill them and get the atifacts back! Predictable. However, in the second place I run into (unexplained) bunches of Deadra! Finally I can test out the Razor I got in the Premium Downloadable Content I Microtransacted from Marketplace! Daedric banishing FTW!

Or so I though. I smacked five kinds of daedra - storm atronach, clanfear, daedroth, that spider lady and the big guy that starts with and X. Nada, nill, zip. It didn't do shit. I'm just gonna sell the thing.

Back to the Mage's Guild. I return with the artifacts and I go to talk to the Arch-Mage. Gotte get that giant black soul gem! Wait, how'ed he get that torrent of information when two days ago he didn't know the Worm King was still around? "Sources?" WFT? Where were your sources when Bruma got sacked? Okay, off to get the soul gem. ALONE. Five guilds left and a ton of students at the University, and you send ONE GUY off ALONE on this matter of vital importance and danger. Okay.

Got the gem. Now what? WTFBBQ??!!!11!! I'm promoted IN PRIVATE and he up and dies? Couldn't grab some new eager new recruit to give their soul for the cause? I have to assume he had some terminal disease or was depressed or his girl just dumped him or something. It was a twist, but a sudden stupid one.

Off I go to fight the Worm King ALONE (hellloooo guild members!). In the Dark Brotherhood it always made sense why you worked alone - you were an assasin. But as a member of this huge guild it makes a little more sense to coordinate. So going off alone on missions like this is pretty dumb and anti-climactic.

Speaking of which, the Worm King had me pretty excited that he would be something special. Some kind of monster? New wight or demon? Oh. He's some old dude in a robe. Whack, smash, dead. Woo. Hoo.

Needless to say I didn't like the Mage's Guild very much. Bad writing, unexciting quests.

However, there's gonna be corpses wandering the streets of the city. That staff rocks. :)

Gonna hit the Fighter's Guild next, then the master quests, and wrap up with the Theive's Guild, and hopefully end on a high-note.

Jonnyram

I'm doing the Fighter's Guild now... it's not a patch on the Mage's Guild, sadly. I agree with you though, GhaleonEB, MG was a bit crazy towards the end.

Yep. I agree with both of you too. Mage Guild Quests weren't so bad, but they were all over the place with the story, and not nearly as clever as the Dark Brotherhood. I suppose it would be easier to take if you did it in small doses, and mixed in some other side quests, but most of us have concentrated on a single questline at a time, which makes some of the flaws stick out more. Still, over all, I'd say I rank the MG ahead of the FG.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
chigiri said:
I got 2 items that I "can't equip right now", the Boots of Springheel Jack(sp?) and the Ring of the Viper (I think it was called that, I can't check right now).
I had both equipped at one point or another but had them force-unequipped during quests, in the Mythic Dawn cave and the Sanguine Shrine quest respectively. I can't equip either item now, and I can't sell them because they're "quest items".

360 version.
Self-quote, I've noticed that I still get the buffs from the items even though they're not equipped and I have other items equipped in their place.

chigiri said:
Self-quote, I've noticed that I still get the buffs from the items even though they're not equipped and I have other items equipped in their place.

Nice! Does that mean you can actually stack the buffs if you equip another item that has a similar buff?

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Big Nate said:
She makes you Pie!

112998196_m.jpg

the-rock.jpg

"Did you just say pie ?"

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
Kung Fu Jedi said:
Nice! Does that mean you can actually stack the buffs if you equip another item that has a similar buff?
It seems so, I'm wearing the
Morag Tong
assassin armor set from the Mehrun's Razor DLC which carries similar bonuses to the two items I had forcibly unequipped, the Jak boots give 50+ acrobatics which stacks with the bonus from the boots I'm wearing now.
Being naked I still have the 50+ acrobatics bonus aswell as the others from the Viper ring, one which is 8+ acrobatics aswell. In short, I can jump to the top of buildings when I'm carrying little and wearing the assassins' full armor. :lol

I guess this was a bug not caught in time for patch #1, or perhaps it was but it works similarly as with the bugged quests, once you're bugged you can't revert it. :)

chigiri said:
Morag Tong
assassin armor set from the Mehrun's Razor DLC which carries similar bonuses to the two items I had forcibly unequipped, the Jak boots give 50+ acrobatics which stacks with the bonus from the boots I'm wearing now.
Being naked I still have the 50+ acrobatics bonus aswell as the others from the Viper ring, one which is 8+ acrobatics aswell.
I guess this was a bug not caught in time for patch #1.

Wow! You must have some insane stats in some of those skills then! How high is your acrobatics? I think I'd go around jumping to everywhere I wanted to go! :lol

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
Kung Fu Jedi said:
Wow! You must have some insane stats in some of those skills then! How high is your acrobatics? I think I'd go around jumping to everywhere I wanted to go! :lol
I'm not at my 360 right now so I can't check but if I remember correctly my acrobatics is near 170, and I got a carrying cap. of 500, which makes for swift movement (with a speed of 115 I think) and huge jumps. Which made the Mehrun DLC really fun, jumping around on the walls while sneak shooting people with my bow. Felt like a real assassin. :lol
And I've been ontop of some steep mountains on the edge of the map that would've been otherwise inaccessible.

Nerevar

chigiri said:
Morag Tong
Being naked I still have the 50+ acrobatics bonus aswell as the others from the Viper ring, one which is 8+ acrobatics aswell. In short, I can jump to the top of buildings when I'm carrying little and wearing the assassins' full armor. :lol

I guess this was a bug not caught in time for patch #1, or perhaps it was but it works similarly as with the bugged quests, once you're bugged you can't revert it. :)

yeah, I'm surprised they didn't catch that one. That's been a known bug since very early on. It's actually in the "cheats and tricks" or whatever section at gamefaqs.

chigiri said:
I'm not at my 360 right now so I can't check but if I remember correctly my acrobatics is near 170, and I got a carrying cap. of 500, which makes for swift movement (with a speed of 115 I think) and huge jumps. Which made the Mehrun DLC really fun, jumping around on the walls while sneak shooting people with my bow. Felt like a real assassin. :lol
And I've been ontop of some steep mountains on the edge of the map that would've been otherwise inaccessible.

That's sooo cool! :D

Core407 said:
I didn't realize how much an improved frame rate adds to the gameplay.

I agree. It's a joy to walk around the countryside now that the framerate has improved so much. Has anyone tried riding their horse since the update? I didn't ride one much before hand, and haven't really thought about it since, but it would be interesting to see how it fares now.

Come to think of it, I'm not even sure where my horse is at the moment. :lol I have Shadowmere, but I haven't seen him for some time, and I don't recall getting the "Your Horse Has Been Stabled Outside of Town" message. Isn't he suppose to be impossible to kill? :lol

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
Kung Fu Jedi said:
I agree. It's a joy to walk around the countryside now that the framerate has improved so much. Has anyone tried riding their horse since the update? I didn't ride one much before hand, and haven't really thought about it since, but it would be interesting to see how it fares now.

Come to think of it, I'm not even sure where my horse is at the moment. :lol I have Shadowmere, but I haven't seen him for some time, and I don't recall getting the "Your Horse Has Been Stabled Outside of Town" message. Isn't he suppose to be impossible to kill? :lol

He'll be at Fort Farragut, where you first got him.

Nerevar

Has anyone else noticed random "loot bags" popping up in the gameworld? I've seen them all over the place now - on roads outside of town, near gates to cities - and I have no idea what they're for or why they're popping up now.

BTW, I'm about 160 hours in.

I finally caved in and picked this up. I haven't even popped it in the 360 yet. This is my first in the series, so a couple of quick questions for you vets:

I'm leaning toward making a pure mage(?) character. Any thoughts/ advice pitfalls here?

Also, is there any downloadable content I should go for early on/ straight away?

Also and beginner's tips in general would be more than welcome.

Core407

Banned
Kung Fu Jedi said:

Yeah, I'm completely lost with the horses too. :lol Right now I'm trying to uncover every dungeon in the game so I'm doing a lot of running around and with the latest patch, it's pretty enjoyable. Very few loads and a nice smooth frame rate indoors and out. :)

Edit: I forgot to mention that the environments are absolutely breathtaking! I don't know how many times I just stop and look around for a minute or two.

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
Nerevar said:
Has anyone else noticed random "loot bags" popping up in the gameworld? I've seen them all over the place now - on roads outside of town, near gates to cities - and I have no idea what they're for or why they're popping up now.

BTW, I'm about 160 hours in.

I've found a few odd bags before, usually right outside the gates of a city. They never have much, if anything, in them. Not really sure what those are all about, but interesting nonetheless.

SteveMeister said:
He'll be at Fort Farragut, where you first got him.

Thanks Steve! Couldn't remember where I first got him, but that makes sense. He's probably wondering where the hell I am. :lol

Mercury Fred said:
I finally caved in and picked this up. I haven't even popped it in the 360 yet. This is my first in the series, so a couple of quick questions for you vets:

I'm leaning toward making a pure mage(?) character. Any thoughts/ advice pitfalls here?

Also, is there any downloadable content I should go for early on/ straight away?

Also and beginner's tips in general would be more than welcome.

Welcome to Oblivion. Kiss the rest of your life goodbye. :) And what are you waiting for? Put it in your 360! Now!

You can easily play as a pure caster in the game, and you'll find plenty of spells that will help you along the way, or you can create your own. Just realize you'll be pretty weak with your weapons and armor, but you can make up for it with summoned weapons and armor if you'd like. Or get good at conjuration and summon some creatures to fight along side you. Also, you destruction magic (fireballs, lightning, etc.) skills go up very quickly and will serve you well in combat, you just might not want to stand toe to toe with some of the more fearsome creatures.

Personally, I wouldn't worry too much about the DLC at the moment, as you'll have plenty to do in the main game. However, if you do go with a pure caster, the Wizard's Tower may come in handy for you.

Plenty of beginners tips can be found throughout this thread, but if you're not sure about your character, I'd say save your game right before you exit the City Sewers after escaping the Prison. At that point, you can go back and edit your character to something more to your liking if you find your first choice is not working out. Also, if you're going Pure Caster, do the Mage Guild Questline early on. It helps to build your spell list and gives you access to the Arcane University.

Post any questions here, and welcome to the party. :)

Kung Fu Jedi said:
Welcome to Oblivion. Kiss the rest of your life goodbye. :) And what are you waiting for? Put it in your 360! Now!

You can easily play as a pure caster in the game, and you'll find plenty of spells that will help you along the way, or you can create your own. Just realize you'll be pretty weak with your weapons and armor, but you can make up for it with summoned weapons and armor if you'd like. Or get good at conjuration and summon some creatures to fight along side you. Also, you destruction magic (fireballs, lightning, etc.) skills go up very quickly and will serve you well in combat, you just might not want to stand toe to toe with some of the more fearsome creatures.

Personally, I wouldn't worry too much about the DLC at the moment, as you'll have plenty to do in the main game. However, if you do go with a pure caster, the Wizard's Tower may come in handy for you.

Plenty of beginners tips can be found throughout this thread, but if you're not sure about your character, I'd say save your game right before you exit the City Sewers after escaping the Prison. At that point, you can go back and edit your character to something more to your liking if you find your first choice is not working out. Also, if you're going Pure Caster, do the Mage Guild Questline early on. It helps to build your spell list and gives you access to the Arcane University.

Post any questions here, and welcome to the party. :)
Thanks for the tips.

I'm working on a deadline at the moment, but Oblivion keeps calling me. Must... resist... until... I... finish...

Hmm, so any race/ skill/ astro sign recommendations?

BuG

To be honest I didn't even notice an improved framerate, but I've only played it once for about ten minutes in the Arena since the patch. Nice work Bethesda on improving it though.

Nerevar

Mercury Fred said:
Hmm, so any race/ skill/ astro sign recommendations?

Don't choose the atronarch, not having magicka regen is killer in Oblivion. I like the thief, personally, but you might want to choose the wizard or the mage for the extra magicka.

I think Breton is a good balanced race. The 50 extra magicka is really nice, plus the magicka resistance is a lifesaver later on in the game when you face off against nether liches and the like. Altmer has even more magic, but I find their natural weakness to magicka to be way too crippling, and you have to build your enchantments late game around shoring up your weaknesses rather than enhancing your own stats.

Core407

Banned
I just found the unicorn and rode it to some shrine and the horse started attacking an archer (probably since his weapon was drawn). :lol

Nerevar

Core407 said:
I just found the unicorn and rode it to some shrine and the horse started attacking an archer (probably since his weapon was drawn). :lol

that horse is a bitch. S/He would get into fights with ME constantly.
KILL IT. You actually have to for a quest

Core407

Banned
Nerevar said:
that horse is a bitch. S/He would get into fights with ME constantly.
KILL IT. You actually have to for a quest

Some bandit ended up killing it for me so I took the quest item. :D

Core407 said:

Where was the Minotaur Guardian? No where to be seen or did you have to slay him too?

Nerevar said:
Don't choose the atronarch, not having magicka regen is killer in Oblivion. I like the thief, personally, but you might want to choose the wizard or the mage for the extra magicka.

Atronach is my favorite sign :O

I actually find it more playable here than it was in Morrowind due to the almost necessary use of magic in that game.

Nerevar

Confidence Man said:
Atronach is my favorite sign :O

I actually find it more playable here than it was in Morrowind due to the almost necessary use of magic in that game.

I played an atronarch character in Morrowind and found it much more balanced. It seems kind of shoehorned into Oblivion. The fact that magicka regenerates constantly in Oblivion, while it didn't in Morrowind, totally breaks the sign. I'm curious as to how you got by, especially early on, when very few enemies actually use magic against you. I can see it sort of being viable later, when you can easily absorb all magic cast at you, but even then you're going to be SOL fighting against non magic-using enemies (which make up a good majority of what you fight). I mean, I can actually see it as more useful in a non magic-based character (like a fighter), where you only use magic sparingly. Then the magicka regen might not be crippling. But you'd still have to really level alchemy so you can make magic regen potions to make up for the fact that you don't regenerate at all.

edit: the inability to create enchanted items that can cast magic also really hampers the atronarch, as my atronarch character pretty much abused that in Morrowind to complement my own spellcasting abilities.

The sign I choose generally tends to reflect the character type. The Thief for a Stealth character, The Mage for a caster. I was always a little afraid to try the Atronach, for the reasons Nerevar mentioned, especially early on. Later on does your ability to absorb magic really pay off?

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
Kung Fu Jedi said:
The sign I choose generally tends to reflect the character type. The Thief for a Stealth character, The Mage for a caster. I was always a little afraid to try the Atronach, for the reasons Nerevar mentioned, especially early on. Later on does your ability to absorb magic really pay off?

Atronach is definitely tough early on, and it's mostly because you're not encountering many magic users. So yeah, later, the absorb ability can make a big difference. I also focus on alchemy so I can carry plenty of Restore Magicka potions, and make use of shrines and temples in between quests & dungeon crawling for a quick refill. Once you've prayed at the various wilderness altars, each cathedral offers you a good number of chances to refill your magic :)

GhaleonEB

Kung Fu Jedi said:
Restore Magica potions are actually ones I'd probably not have to make using Alchemy. I seem to find them by the boat load.
No kidding. I was trying to figure out what was weighing me down yesterday and I found I had over 120 of them on hand from all the necromancers I killed. :lol

Dr_Cogent

Banned
SteveMeister said:
Atronach is definitely tough early on, and it's mostly because you're not encountering many magic users. So yeah, later, the absorb ability can make a big difference. I also focus on alchemy so I can carry plenty of Restore Magicka potions, and make use of shrines and temples in between quests & dungeon crawling for a quick refill. Once you've prayed at the various wilderness altars, each cathedral offers you a good number of chances to refill your magic :)

Yeah, I drink Restore Magika potions like crazy. Since I have my Alchemy maxed out, it's real easy. Although, now I'm so lazy I just use the dupe cheat and dupe them so I can save time.

Dr_Cogent

Banned
GhaleonEB said:
No kidding. I was trying to figure out what was weighing me down yesterday and I found I had over 120 of them on hand from all the necromancers I killed. :lol

Yeah, but the thing is - the ones you make are real light. .1 in weight so I can carry a ton of them.

Nerevar

Dr_Cogent said:
Yeah, but the thing is - the ones you make are real light. .1 in weight so I can carry a ton of them.

yup. At master alchemy with master equipment I also find the ones you make to be much more useful. The steady replenishment over time means you can spam magic like crazy and you eventually recover much more than you would from the instant-restore pots you pick up.

Top Bottom