• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion |OT|

RegularMK

Somebody tell me why Oblivion suddenly needs to take a minute breather when I switch weapons or access the menu. Or do much of anything.

I have the latest patch, so don't give me any of that cache mumbo-jumbo.

Is my 360 dying? :(

Maximilian

DIYMF Alumni
I've been watching my friends play this all night and I have to say it does not fail to impress. There's so much to be had here. I've played a bit myself but have barely scratched the surface. I've never played any of the Elder Scrolls before. Needless to say, I'm picking this up once I get my 360 (which will hopefully be sooner than later).

GreekWolf

Maximilian said:
I've been watching my friends play this all night and I have to say it does not fail to impress. There's so much to be had here. I've played a bit myself but have barely scratched the surface. I've never played any of the Elder Scrolls before. Needless to say, I'm picking this up once I get my 360 (which will hopefully be sooner than later).
Yeah, it really is a killer app. And now that Trusty Bell is shaping up to be an amazing JRPG, I'm really liking what the 360 has to offer from both the east and the west.

RegularMK said:
Somebody tell me why Oblivion suddenly needs to take a minute breather when I switch weapons or access the menu. Or do much of anything.

I have the latest patch, so don't give me any of that cache mumbo-jumbo.

Is my 360 dying? :(

There could be a couple of things causing you to get poor performance. First, if you're carrying lots of items likes keys or books that you no longer need, pitch 'em. Drop 'em in a chest somewhere in your house, clear out your inventory of unneeded things.

Secondly, make sure you only a couple of save games. I only keep two or three, plus the autosave, but if you have a lot of game saves, it can bog down performance.

It's unlikely that it's your 360.

Ratcage said:
Wow, I had no idea they did that. I thought they were loot as well. At least I haven't done many of the ruins yet.

You can find a bunch of them if you explore the Alyeid ruins. I like to keep one Varla stone and five Welkyand stones on me at all times, just for emergency sake. Of course, after awhile, you also have a ton of Soul Gems, that if you're filling them up regularly, you can use to recharge your items as well.

RegularMK

Kung Fu Jedi said:
There could be a couple of things causing you to get poor performance. First, if you're carrying lots of items likes keys or books that you no longer need, pitch 'em. Drop 'em in a chest somewhere in your house, clear out your inventory of unneeded things.

Secondly, make sure you only a couple of save games. I only keep two or three, plus the autosave, but if you have a lot of game saves, it can bog down performance.

It's unlikely that it's your 360.

Well I noticed this happening and thought it could be any of the things you mentioned. Having only Oblivion saves on my 360 and a few demos, I reformatted my hard drive. I'm still getting the same issues with only one save and in the initial jail sequence (so I hardly have any items to speak of)

Nerevar

they call me "Man Gravy".
just finished Mehrunes razor, a thought about it (and all the DLC, really)

it was fun. It was a well-laid out and sprawling dungeon, and the little town with the "army" (if you could call it that) was really fun with my thief/magic character. My problem, as it has been with all DLC for the game, is that in the end I felt like I was just playing a really well made mod. This is almost entirely due to the fact that there is no new voice acting. Without that, there's no one for you to interact with. Sure, the story unfolds through texts, manuscripts, and notes left behind, but it's basically just some variation of you against the world. I don't really know what the solution is, but it is a pretty big letdown. It just makes the places you download seem so dead. I can't be the only one who feels this way, am I?

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
Nerevar said:

it was fun. It was a well-laid out and sprawling dungeon, and the little town with the "army" (if you could call it that) was really fun with my thief/magic character. My problem, as it has been with all DLC for the game, is that in the end I felt like I was just playing a really well made mod. This is almost entirely due to the fact that there is no new voice acting. Without that, there's no one for you to interact with. Sure, the story unfolds through texts, manuscripts, and notes left behind, but it's basically just some variation of you against the world. I don't really know what the solution is, but it is a pretty big letdown. It just makes the places you download seem so dead. I can't be the only one who feels this way, am I?

I agree, it did feel like a well-made mod. It would be better if the official mods had more to them, like new voice acting, etc., but I guess we'll only see that with the official expansion.

Still, I'm glad they released it, and I'm glad I bought it.

RegularMK said:
Well I noticed this happening and thought it could be any of the things you mentioned. Having only Oblivion saves on my 360 and a few demos, I reformatted my hard drive. I'm still getting the same issues with only one save and in the initial jail sequence (so I hardly have any items to speak of)

That doesn't sound good. You may indeed have an issue with your 360. :(

Nerevar said:

This is exactly why I haven't purchased any of the DLC so far. I haven't felt that it offered anything more than a mod that someone could make on the PC and plugin. I'll admit a few of the DLC's sound tempting, and they're a bargain compared to GRAW's DLC, but I'm just not sold on any of them yet.

Now a full blown expansion, and I'll be there in a hearbeat! :D

Nerevar said:

I do agree, to a point. New voice acting would be hawt, but whatcha going to do? You really can't beat all the additional fun for the price they charge. So far, this game has delivered some of my favorite gaming moments to date. Like the jam of the month club, Oblivion is the gift that keeps on giving.

GhaleonEB

CousinLump said:
I do agree, to a point. New voice acting would be hawt, but whatcha going to do? You really can't beat all the additional fun for the price they charge. So far, this game has delivered some of my favorite gaming moments to date. Like the jam of the month club, Oblivion is the gift that keeps on giving.
For some reason that actually strikes me as the best description of Oblivion I've read so far. :lol

GhaleonEB said:
For some reason that actually strikes me as the best description of Oblivion I've read so far. :lol

Yep. Oblivion is the best investment I've made in a game in a really really long time. It's essentially the only thing I've played in the last three plus months, with the exception of a little GRAW this week.

How many of us are 100+ hours in? What does that work out to? Something like 60 cents an hour for entertainment? :lol

raYne

Kung Fu Jedi said:
How many of us are 100+ hours in? What does that work out to? Something like 60 cents an hour for entertainment? :lol
I haven't touched it in two weeks, but I'm at the 198hr mark. Since I bought the CE that's 35 cents per hour. :rock

:lol

This is how all games will be judged from now on!

GhaleonEB

Kung Fu Jedi said:
Yep. Oblivion is the best investment I've made in a game in a really really long time. It's essentially the only thing I've played in the last three plus months, with the exception of a little GRAW this week.

I'm 135 hours in now. So 58 cents per hour. 0_o

I'll have more than doubled that by the time I'm through. I think I have ~10 hours left in this character, then I'm starting fresh.

teiresias

I've had the game for like a month, but haven't really played it at all yet. I'm waiting to finish setting up the home theater room before I play it so I can experience correctly - from the beginning in the new setup!!

In any case, in the meantime I've been tuning performance on my existing rig - though by the time I play I hope to have a new mobo and CPU - and trying out .ini changes and various mods.

Has anyone used the Natural Environments 2.1.2 mod?! OMG!!!!!! This thing is AWESOME!!! It has a few numerous components that you can turn on and off individually. One part changes the environment foliage - sort of. Basically it scales the trees and bushes larger so that they just look bigger and "fuller." It's amazing what a difference it makes to the entire feel and mood of the environment, it just feels so much more natural. It doesn't impact performance at all either. There's also parts that change the water (this, IMO, is better than the "Better Water" or "Better Imperfect Water" mod). There's also a piece that changes the weather cycles, though I haven't really experienced that.

However, one part also adds birds and insects throughout the environment, so you'll occasionally see a bird flying in the distance or closer to you and encounter swarms (some large some small) of insects. It just brings the environment to life. I love this thing. So with that I think I've found all the mods I'm going to use and am ready to commence play once the room downstairs is finished (have to put the floors in still) and the projector and sound system are hooked up.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Kung Fu Jedi said:

Oblivion's value is pretty friggin' nuts, that's for sure. I think part of it, is after you dive in, the realization of how much content there is per hour. Not to knock "conventional" console RPGS - I'm about to go back to playing DQVIII - but when we see a "150 hour game" it usually has a huge amount of that time invested in level grinding and farming. While you can sure do that in Oblivion, /so much/ of the time you can spend in the game is in doing unique stuff. There's always another dungeon over the next hill, always another spell to try (or make!), always another quest triggered by talking to that NPC, over there, that you didn't notice before.

And then when it's all over, you can start a totally new character and do it all again, but different.

I can see how for people new to the ES series, Oblivion just blows the mind.

GhaleonEB

Well, I'm done with this character. I just beat the Fighter's Guild and decided to start anew. I've been putting so much thought into my new character that I'm eager to begin - I'm planning an entirely different play style. This combined with knowledge that I lacked before will make for a very different experience.

I didn't get far into the Thieve's Guild, but my next character is going to be focused on stealth, so I thought I'd save that for him. I'm just plowing through everything using melee at this point, since I focused on that so much. I'm ready to start fresh.

I plan to do a series of posts here giving my thoughts on various aspects of the game. I don't think a full review is in order, but there are some very specific things the game does really well, and not so much. I'll start with the negative tomorrow. Now off to make my new character. If anyone's interested I'll post what I did here later. I think it will be fun. :)

GhaleonEB

New character.

Race: Wood Elf
Specialization: Magic
Key Attributes: Speed, Luck
Sign: Thief

Major Skills:

*Blade
*Alteration
*Conjuration
*Illusion
*Mysticism
*Marksman
*Sneak

First order of business: Get into the Thieve's Guild. I plan to get a large portion of my funds from other folks' houses.

Second order of business: Get into the Arcane University. I never once created a custom spell or enchanted a weapon my first time through. I didn't joint the University until I was level 30 and by then anything I could make was outclassed by stuff I'd found.

Third order of business: Complete the Thieve's Guild. I left this one unfinished when I did my other character. Since I'm heavy into sneak and archery now I think I'll enjoy it more.

xabre

Banned
I've been arseholed from the mages guild and I require two more vampire dust to get back in. Where can I buy this vampire dust?

PS - And don't say 'go kill vampires', I couldn't be effed looking around for vampires.

raYne

xabre said:
I've been arseholed from the mages guild and I require two more vampire dust to get back in. Where can I buy this vampire dust?

PS - And don't say 'go kill vampires', I couldn't be effed looking around for vampires.
It's not like you have to go searching all over. Places like the Imperial City sewers are filled with them. However, you should be able to find VD (heh) in most alchemy stores.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
Grrr, need help with the last Thieves Guild quest, or rather.. how to initate it.:lol
I've
fenced 3000gold so far so that's covered, the independant thievery quest tells me I need 800, I still have the Boots of Springheel Jak quest marked as "Current" aswell, am I supposed to still have this even after I've discovered the Grey Fox being not immortal? He's still in Cheydinhal in that house, only saying "Not now, I need to think." when approached. I've waited for days around various parts of the world, nothing is happening.. help. :lol

chigiri said:
Grrr, need help with the last Thieves Guild quest, or rather.. how to initate it.:lol
I've
fenced 3000gold so far so that's covered, the independant thievery quest tells me I need 800, I still have the Boots of Springheel Jak quest marked as "Current" aswell, am I supposed to still have this even after I've discovered the Grey Fox being not immortal? He's still in Cheydinhal in that house, only saying "Not now, I need to think." when approached. I've waited for days around various parts of the world, nothing is happening.. help. :lol

So he won't take the boots from you? Once I got them and returned to see him, I simply asked him about the quest, and things advanced from there. Make sure they're not equipped perhaps?

raYne said:
This is how all games will be judged from now on!

Sweet! I've created a new way to rate games. I can see it now in reviews. "This game is a 40 cent per hour game" meaning it's great, and an awesome deal, where as "This game is a $15/hour game" indicates it's short, not interesting and not a good investment! :lol

I've played a few of those games :(

raYne

Kung Fu Jedi said:
I've played a few of those games :(
Sucker.
Me too.. :/

I'm seriously gonna start doing that on the forum. It'll never catch on with people outside of the Oblivion loop, but we can hope. :lol

raYne said:
Sucker.
Me too.. :/

I'm seriously gonna start doing that on the forum. It'll never catch on with people outside of the Oblivion loop, but we can hope. :lol

:lol

Yeah, they'll be like what the f*ck, but all us Oblivion fans will be in the know, and it's the prefect example of a game that's worth every cent we've paid for it. It'll be a long time until I see another game with it's value! :D

GhaleonEB

I'm really enjoying my new character. I'm still level one, but I'm putting a lot of work into my Marksman and Sneak skills early on. I just cleared out an entire cave using mostly my bow, getting criticals about half the time. Using detect life + sneak + bow is a fun combo. I've got a shortsword I break out from time to time for melee - throw up a shield spell and scamp I've got hotkeyed and plow right in. A very different style than before.

Also - I did a random cave on the way to Skingrad to get some cash for a few new spells. I found a shirt enchanted with +8 Speechcraft, Mercantile and Personality. I won't use it, but it's worth 3400 base gold. I also found an enchanted shirt worth ~600 gold in the same cave. Kind of throws cold water on the exchange above about there not being any good loot out there early on. :p

A couple of questions about getting into the Thieves Guild. I don't recall what triggered it, but I was given a note about meeting the Grey Fox before. Do I need this before meeting the first guy at midnight? Also - to join I had to do a three-way race for a book I had to steal. I was able to do it by following someone, who was wicked fast. Were I not a really fast character I would not have been able to keep up. What happens now that I'm trying to join at an early level? What happens if I lose?

GhaleonEB said:
A couple of questions about getting into the Thieves Guild. I don't recall what triggered it, but I was given a note about meeting the Grey Fox before. Do I need this before meeting the first guy at midnight? Also - to join I had to do a three-way race for a book I had to steal. I was able to do it by following someone, who was wicked fast. Were I not a really fast character I would not have been able to keep up. What happens now that I'm trying to join at an early level? What happens if I lose?

I don't remember what triggers it, but if you lose the race
you steal the book from her.

purg3

slept with Malkin
GhaleonEB said:

Steal something and get put in jail, when you get out you should get the note about the meeting. Also, if you lose the entry quest, you can retry it again another night.

Jonnyram

For that book theft race, I saved just outside the house. The first time, I had checked the desk and the book was there, but when I clicked on it, the Wood Elf had already stolen it first. She buggered off somewhere and I couldn't find her at all.

I reloaded and noone was anywhere near the house. I just walked in and stole it with ease. I guess the save state does not include stuff like NPC positions perfectly?

I got into the thieves guild by asking around about the Grey Fox to the beggers in the Waterfront District. Eventually, they told me to go to the garden at midnight.

As for the entry quest, I lost the race as well, but the game adapted just fine. Very fun way to kick off the thieves guild. :)

Nerevar

yeah, it's better to just persuade / bribe the beggars to give you information about the grey fox, rather than going to jail. Going to jail is more of a crapshoot.

and I had no idea you could beat the girl to the book :lol I thought it was set up so she always got there first (she makes a super-fast beeline right to the guys house, I couldn't even keep up) so you had to pickpocket it from her.

Nerevar said:
yeah, it's better to just persuade / bribe the beggars to give you information about the grey fox, rather than going to jail. Going to jail is more of a crapshoot.

and I had no idea you could beat the girl to the book :lol I thought it was set up so she always got there first (she makes a super-fast beeline right to the guys house, I couldn't even keep up) so you had to pickpocket it from her.

So when were you able to pickpocket it from her? You didn't have to go to her house to steal it back? It's so awesome how many different ways there are to beat the quests sometimes. I love the openness of this game.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
Kung Fu Jedi said:
So when were you able to pickpocket it from her? You didn't have to go to her house to steal it back? It's so awesome how many different ways there are to beat the quests sometimes. I love the openness of this game.
Since NPCs don't start to progress in a zone until you enter it I just ran to the book before her, as she was sneaking when inside the house, so it was really easy.:lol

Nerevar

Kung Fu Jedi said:

by the time I got to the house she was standing outside of it, and she said she already had the book, "tough shit" basically. She just started wandering around the imperial city, and I snuck around behind her and pickpocketed her to get it.

:lol :lol

Both of those are great. I was neck and neck with her until we got to the house. I followed her inside, but she went one way and I went another, and I didn't see her again until it was time to take it from her house.

When I did the Thieves Guild initiation quest, we were neck and neck, so I hit her with a paralyze spell and she fell over onto the table. Then I grabbed the book and made a bunch of noise so the owner of the house would wake up and catch her. As I exited the house, he came running down. ^_^

GhaleonEB

Since I was so fast, I was able to keep up right with her, but not get ahead. So I just followed her into the house and she slowed way down, sneaking. I watched her head for the desk so I just ran past her and grabbed it. She stood right up and bitched me out. :lol

GhaleonEB said:
Since I was so fast, I was able to keep up right with her, but not get ahead. So I just followed her into the house and she slowed way down, sneaking. I watched her head for the desk so I just ran past her and grabbed it. She stood right up and bitched me out. :lol

You should talk to her after you've gained entrance into the Thieves Guild! She'll really bitch at you! :D

GhaleonEB

I just plowed through the Paranoia quest. It was bugged in my last game, so I thought I'd do it early on.

I told him the first lady was not watching him, but that the other two were. He gave me a note asking me to knock off the two I said were watching him. I tried out both endings - turning him in and killing the two guys. Problem is both of them were good hand to hand fighters - one a trainer apparantly - and they were tough to kill in their rooms. Both times I got socked with a 1,000 gold fine. I paid both - nearly all I had - and Glathir paid me 1,000 gold for it. The other way the guard killed him and I looted the corpse. I decided to go with the latter. As soon as I join the Theive's Guild I'll raid his house for some extras.

What happens if you tell him no one is watching him?

xabre

Banned
Why can I create a fortify magicka spell but not a damage magicka spell? I need the later for a quest, and my destruction is not high enough to use the damage magicka spell I bought.

Jonnyram

If the quest you speak of is part of the Mages Guild questline, you should find a scroll that damages your magicka in a crate near where you need it.

xabre

Banned
Jonnyram said:
If the quest you speak of is part of the Mages Guild questline, you should find a scroll that damages your magicka in a crate near where you need it.

Alright, I'll look into it.

Cheers.

Are you trying to open the pillar in that Mage Guild Questline? If so, you'll find scrolls with all the spells you need just down the hall in a chest, next to the desk/table. Now you just have to cast them in the correct order. ;)

Nerevar

Ok, so just got up to silencer in the Dark Brotherhood, and I wanted to ask - has anyone gotten the poison apples to work, or are they senselessly broken? My experience so far (spoilers, don't look unless you're at least a silencer in the Dark Brotherhood):

For the quest where you "purify" the Cheydinhal sanctuary, I found Lucien's crate full of poison apples and stole them (about 10, don't worry, he didn't see me) as well as all of that annoying Khajit's poison apples as well. I took all the food and goblets from every table in the sanctuary and put 2 to 3 apples in front of every spot. This included the long dining table AND the round table in the living area as well as the desk that Ocheeva (sp?) sits at.

No matter what I did though, NO ONE ate them. They would sit down and magically start eating food that wasn't in front of them, or drinking from goblets that weren't on the table anymore. Is there anyway to get around them magically creating food out of thin air and ignoring your poison apples?

Personally, I've never tried using the poison apples. The mission that you are given one for, I just killed the guy the old fashioned way. However, I know that I have read from others that they have used the apples to great success, just not sure if they used them in the mission you are referring to.

raYne

It's not instantaneous.. meaning they aren't going to pick it up as soon as you place it on the table. If I recall, you have to take an apple and put the poison one in it's place while the target is eating.

I only used it once, but after you've done it you'll never do it again. It's just too much trouble for no reward.

Top Bottom