• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion |OT|

Wolffen

Kung Fu Jedi said:
Here's one mod that would making having the PC version all the more worth it:

http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3151709

Basically, it adds multi-player to Oblvion. The Alpha release allows for 2 players to play co-op together, and the next release will add 8 player deathmatch and CTF.

While the DM and CTF stuff doesn't appeal to me too much, I'd love to have co-op mode in Oblivion. Something like 2 to 4 players working as a team would be awesome. I know there are all kinds of issues with balancing the game and making things work in a multiplayer environment, but I'd kill for a small party, multiplayer Elder Scrolls game.

Amen brother! As much as I've enjoyed Oblivion and Morrowind, I would love to be able to go through the games with another friend or a small party of folks. In fact, I would love to see that functionality in the next game, perhaps as something like co-op in Splinter Cell where the co-op is a separate set of missions in the game world. Would open up some more opportunities for DLC for Bethesda as well.

On an unrelated note, I'd just like to say that I'm a frigging idiot; I just found out that when dealing with inventory/merchantile that you can use the L and R shoulder buttons to go to the bottom and top of the quantity scale. All this frigging time, to help boost my merchantile, I've been selling items 1 by 1. And everytime I did so, I'd have to use the left analog stick to sllllloooooooooooowly move the qty from whatever down to one. After hitting a dungeon full of necromancers and coming out with several hundred potions, I went to sell them. After slooooowly selling 20 potions (it takes a while to go from 180 down to 1!), I go frustrated, hit a bunch of buttons on the controller, and discovered this whole damned time, I could have been using the L&R bumpers to change the values to the top or bottom qty. Oh well. At least I know now.

Core407

Banned
Kung Fu Jedi said:
Clearing Oblivion Gates did get pretty tiresome after awhile. The last few I closed, I would often just make a dash for it once I got to the end.

As for the total number of quests, I thought I heard someone say there is about 195 quests in the game. Giver or take a few.

I'm up to 145 and have about 5 that are bugged. :(

GhaleonEB

Core407 said:
I'm up to 145 and have about 5 that are bugged. :(
Yeah, I ran into two that were bugged in my first game. I've started over and have done one of them, and it was fixed. I didn't realize what an impact a bugged quest had on the experience until it happened to me. I just turned it off in disgust. :(

Core407

Banned
GhaleonEB said:
Yeah, I ran into two that were bugged in my first game. I've started over and have done one of them, and it was fixed. I didn't realize what an impact a bugged quest had on the experience until it happened to me. I just turned it off in disgust. :(

Mine happened way too far in for me to just restart. :( One even prevented me from finishing the Thieves Guild questline!

GhaleonEB

Core407 said:
Mine happened way too far in for me to just restart. :( One even prevented me from finishing the Thieves Guild questline!
Oh, I didn't restart because of them, I started anew because I just got tired of my character and wanted to make a better, more interesting one. I hit both of my bugs ~80 hours in. But they were mind-numbingly frustrating. A certain sense of helplessness set in. It stoped being fun and just pissed me off. I just skipped the two quests in question. Fortunately they didn't break a whole questline for me though.

no angel

i have a problem, i've spent about 80 hours on oblivion and haven't even closed the first gate, now i seem to be losing the will to play it anymore. help me! :(

Core407 said:

Which Thieves Guild Quest Core? I had one that was bugged on me, but eventually I was able to continue through the guild.

GhaleonEB

no angel said:
i have a problem, i've spent about 80 hours on oblivion and haven't even closed the first gate, now i seem to be losing the will to play it anymore. help me! :(
Close the first Oblivion gate. :)

That means you have not touched the main story, and it's really good. Just plow through it. It will suck you in, it did that to me. (I did the first few quests on it early on, then ignored it until the 90-hour mark or so.) What stands out are a number of fun set-piece style battles and some fun unique encounters. And you only HAVE to close
three
of the Gates.

Kung Fu Jedi said:
Which Thieves Guild Quest Core? I had one that was bugged on me, but eventually I was able to continue through the guild.
Didn't you say that was because another bug countered the first bug?

Maya

There are a few mod's I'm trying out that got me on a Oblivion spree again (if these are old... well, I don't get a crap, heh!):

Ren's Beauty Pack

1148296429_fullres.jpg

1148296443_fullres.jpg

1148296458_fullres.jpg

1148296405_fullres.jpg

Slof's Horses - Nightmare!

1146919350_fullres.jpg

1146919310_fullres.jpg

And Eshme's Female Bodies

lightarmorpack8vc.jpg

back.jpg

GhaleonEB said:
Didn't you say that was because another bug countered the first bug?

Yeah! Essentially. I was going to tell Core to try something if it was the same quest. Might be able to jump start his career in the Thieves Guild. :D

Can anybody tell me the video card of choice to run this game? I'm having a hard time choosing.

Right now I'm in line to get a Radeon X1900XT 512MB since I hear ATI cards can support AA and HDR simultaneously, but I'm not sure. Help?

Gearharaden said:
Can anybody tell me the video card of choice to run this game? I'm having a hard time choosing.

Right now I'm in line to get a Radeon X1900XT 512MB since I hear ATI cards can support AA and HDR simultaneously, but I'm not sure. Help?

If you've got the money, that's the card to go with. It'll run Oblivion very well.

Any word on new DLC for Oblivion yet? It's been a few weeks since we had the Epic Dungeon, and I haven't heard of anything else in the pipeline. I hope the $15 price for the GRAW maps hasn't given Bethesda ideas on rasing prices. :lol

GhaleonEB

Kung Fu Jedi said:
Any word on new DLC for Oblivion yet? It's been a few weeks since we had the Epic Dungeon, and I haven't heard of anything else in the pipeline. I hope the $15 price for the GRAW maps hasn't given Bethesda ideas on rasing prices. :lol
Coming soon: Really Epic Dungeon. Price: 10,000 points

I'm hoping the next DLC is my full expansion in a few months. Getting that "you cannot go that way" message drives me nuts when I can SEE a good half-mile past that point. Grrrrr.

Nerevar

they call me "Man Gravy".
finished Dark Brotherhood questline last night, a few thoughts:

Once again, I was annoyed by the obviousness of the plot twist yet not being able to do anything about it. I know you can't really build an open questline and maintain any semblance of story but .... after the first couple of kills it was OBVIOUS I was killing the black hand (you find "black hand robes" in the people's houses, for God's sake), but you can't "stop" killing them. I know branching questlines kind of conflicts with the sort of "complete every quest with one character", but it does get annoying that I can't actually put my detective skills to use.

All that aside, it was a pretty fun questline. I disagree that it's better than the thieves guild though, that was far and away my favorite. Executing characters did get kind of boring during the dead drop sequence. Plus the quest reward for the thieves guild is (arguably) the best in the game and the wrap up is better (you're kept in the dark as to what the heist is all about, but the end ties up all the loose ends really well). Also, why in the HELL would someone who is being hunted pay off the guards?!?! This made no sense to me. The lighthouse cellar was one of the cooler little areas in the game, very well put together and thoroughly revolting. The little shrine to the mother's severed head was icing on the cake :lol.

Anyway, in future Elder Scrolls games I think quests with multiple endings would be pretty cool, and it would reward the character for paying close attenting (
such as when I broke into J'Ghasta's house and found the black hand robes, I knew he was a DB member, but I couldn't not kill him.
).

Yeah, Nerevar, it was like you were on a speeding train, and you couldn't do anything about it until the end. Once the story got rolling, there was no changing it. More interaction and ability to effect the story would be nice. More choices. Still, it was a great questline, and probably my favorite in all of Oblivion.

GhaleonEB: I'm ready for a full expansion as well. Guess we need to wait for it to be officially announced.

GhaleonEB

Nerevar said:
finished Dark Brotherhood questline last night, a few thoughts:

Once again, I was annoyed by the obviousness of the plot twist yet not being able to do anything about it. I know you can't really build an open questline and maintain any semblance of story but .... after the first couple of kills it was OBVIOUS I was killing the black hand (you find "black hand robes" in the people's houses, for God's sake), but you can't "stop" killing them. I know branching questlines kind of conflicts with the sort of "complete every quest with one character", but it does get annoying that I can't actually put my detective skills to use.

All that aside, it was a pretty fun questline. I disagree that it's better than the thieves guild though, that was far and away my favorite. Executing characters did get kind of boring during the dead drop sequence. Plus the quest reward for the thieves guild is (arguably) the best in the game and the wrap up is better (you're kept in the dark as to what the heist is all about, but the end ties up all the loose ends really well). Also, why in the HELL would someone who is being hunted pay off the guards?!?! This made no sense to me. The lighthouse cellar was one of the cooler little areas in the game, very well put together and thoroughly revolting. The little shrine to the mother's severed head was icing on the cake :lol.

Anyway, in future Elder Scrolls games I think quests with multiple endings would be pretty cool, and it would reward the character for paying close attenting (
such as when I broke into J'Ghasta's house and found the black hand robes, I knew he was a DB member, but I couldn't not kill him.
).
That's interesting, I never noticed the
black hand robes on them. I did notice that the icon for my dead drop instructions changed after the first two, which was weird. I was frustrated that I knew the guy they had just strung up and roasted was innocent, and had PROOF on me (the traitor's diary and his mom's HEAD), but I couldn't tell anyone about it. Then I had control taken away and had to watch the real traitor kill two of the three other guys before I was allowed to intervene. Frustrating.

I'm going to focus on the Thieves Guild as soon as I get into the Arcane University, so I'm really looking forward to it. Sounds like it's going to be a blast.

GhaleonEB said:
I'm going to focus on the Thieves Guild as soon as I get into the Arcane University, so I'm really looking forward to it. Sounds like it's going to be a blast.

The Thieves Guild is good. I especially enjoyed the later missions when they started to come together to a co-hesive story. Last mission is Epic! :D

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
Kung Fu Jedi said:
I'm not Core, but mine was the Springheel Jak one right at the end. The game thinks I have the boots equipped but I don't, so I can't hand them over to foxie and complete the quest and advance to the last quest in the guild.. #¤&#¤&# I say. I have a save 16 levels back that I'll resume on once I'm done with the game to get the last achievement, sooo annoying.

chigiri said:
I'm not Core, but mine was the Springheel Jak one right at the end. The game thinks I have the boots equipped but I don't, so I can't hand them over to foxie and complete the quest and advance to the last quest in the guild.. #¤&#¤&# I say. I have a save 16 levels back that I'll resume on once I'm done with the game to get the last achievement, sooo annoying.

Sorry. Can't help with that one. My bugged quest was much further back than that. I don't have any suggestions to help you out on that one.

no angel

GhaleonEB said:
Close the first Oblivion gate. :)

That means you have not touched the main story, and it's really good. Just plow through it. It will suck you in, it did that to me. (I did the first few quests on it early on, then ignored it until the 90-hour mark or so.) What stands out are a number of fun set-piece style battles and some fun unique encounters. And you only HAVE to close
three
of the Gates.

perhaps i'll put some effort in and make myself do it. i think i just burned myself out plowing through subquest after subquest. i got halfway through the final theives guild mission before i lsot interest.

GhaleonEB

I just noticed that my old game and my new one have their saves on the same "list" when I go to save. Is there any way to seperate them? I'm nervous I'll accidentally delete my old game. I keep my saves down to a reasonable number (now) and it's easy to go back too far.

GhaleonEB said:
I just noticed that my old game and my new one have their saves on the same "list" when I go to save. Is there any way to seperate them? I'm nervous I'll accidentally delete my old game. I keep my saves down to a reasonable number (now) and it's easy to go back too far.

Same thing happended to me when I switched to a different character, and no, there isn't a way to seperate them. I ended up keeping one save from the old character and the two or three new saves. The old one ends up at the bottom of the list, and you just don't need to ever select it. The most recent save is always at the top, if that makes sense.

Nerevar

Kung Fu Jedi said:
Same thing happended to me when I switched to a different character, and no, there isn't a way to seperate them. I ended up keeping one save from the old character and the two or three new saves. The old one ends up at the bottom of the list, and you just don't need to ever select it. The most recent save is always at the top, if that makes sense.

yup, it sorts the list by date. Of course, if you unplug your 360 and the date gets reset, that results in some VERY interesting behavior on the save-game list. I overwrote a whole bunch of saves before i noticed it when I moved my 360 into another room. :lol

GhaleonEB

Kung Fu Jedi said:
Okay, I'll just be careful. That really sucks for households with multiple gamers though, playing different characters.

GhaleonEB said:
Okay, I'll just be careful. That really sucks for households with multiple gamers though, playing different characters.

Yeah, it would be nice if you could name the saves, or at least if it said the name of the character on the list.

Nerevar

Kung Fu Jedi said:
Yeah, it would be nice if you could name the saves, or at least if it said the name of the character on the list.

yeah, they really dropped the ball here, and I have no idea why they did it. The Morrowind saves included your character name in them, I don't understand why the Oblivion ones don't ....

Nerevar said:
yeah, they really dropped the ball here, and I have no idea why they did it. The Morrowind saves included your character name in them, I don't understand why the Oblivion ones don't ....

I'm pretty sure that the PC version allows you to name the save as well. On the 360, the only thing you have is the Save Number, which isn't all that useful.

Speaking of which, what is everyone's save number up to? I think I'm somewhere in the mid-700's.

GhaleonEB

Kung Fu Jedi said:
For some reason when I entered in the name of my avatar at the very beginning, I thought that established a "profile" that I would log into when I played. That way the saves were seperate. I'd hate to lose a character 130 hours in because of one button press. I wish more thought had gone into it.

At any rate, thanks for the answers. I'm starting to get the impression there a small group of us clicking on this thread to reply immidiately, anytime it pops up. That's what I do. :lol

Kung Fu Jedi said:
I'm pretty sure that the PC version allows you to name the save as well. On the 360, the only thing you have is the Save Number, which isn't all that useful.

Speaking of which, what is everyone's save number up to? I think I'm somewhere in the mid-700's.
I'm up to the upper 500's, should hit 600 this week.

Nerevar

Kung Fu Jedi said:

well, you have to save using a console command line in the PC version to name the saves. If you go through the interface it still just names the save directly for you (i.e. save x). Very annoying.

And my save number was around 1200 last I checked :lol. I got paranoid when the game started crashing regularly.

GhaleonEB

Speaking of saves, how does the autosave system work? It seems like a mix of random and regular saves. It saves every time I wait and fast travel, but sometimes I get one going into a dungeon, and sometimes not. Ditto for entering and leaving houses, shops, towns, etc. Anyone know?

I thought it was based on the time since the last save, but I've caught myself going a few hours without saving - of any kind - before.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
GhaleonEB said:
Speaking of saves, how does the autosave system work? It seems like a mix of random and regular saves. It saves every time I wait and fast travel, but sometimes I get one going into a dungeon, and sometimes not. Ditto for entering and leaving houses, shops, towns, etc. Anyone know?

I thought it was based on the time since the last save, but I've caught myself going a few hours without saving - of any kind - before.
it depends on what save options you've got ON in the options. but the autosave saves when entering new areas, when fast traveling, sleeping, waiting and that sort of thing.

i'm personally up to save ~150 and i'm pretty much done with the game now, sans the last damn thieves guild quest.

GhaleonEB

chigiri said:
it depends on what save options you've got ON in the options. but the autosave saves when entering new areas, when fast traveling, sleeping, waiting and that sort of thing.

i'm personally up to save ~150 and i'm pretty much done with the game now, sans the last damn thieves guild quest.
There's save options?

There's options? :lol

I've actually never poked around with them. I'll do that. I've been considering bumping up the difficulty for my new character.

Core407

Banned
chigiri said:

I passed 300 saves a while ago.

chigiri said:

Wow! THat's not a lot of saves considering you're close to the end. You like to live on the edge huh girl? :lol

I've always been paranoid about saves in RPG's, saving regularly to prevent anything from happening that may cost me hours of game time. Learned that years ago!

Core: What Thieves Guild Quest are you stuck on thanks to the bug?

Core407 said:
I actually would prefer the 360 version over the PC one if mods weren't a factor.

This is my first Elder Scrolls game on a console, having played both Daggerfall and Morrowind on PC, and the only thing I miss is some of the mods. Many of them are crap, but there are a few very well done ones. I miss playing with the toolkit a bit as well.

I chose to go with the 360 verision this time not because my PC couldn't play it well, I'm sure it would, but I just prefer to play in an easy chair on a big HDTV over my computer monitor. Considering the hours I've put into the game, the easy chair has been a nice choice. :D

Core407

Banned
Kung Fu Jedi said:
This is my first Elder Scrolls game on a console, having played both Daggerfall and Morrowind on PC, and the only thing I miss is some of the mods. Many of them are crap, but there are a few very well done ones. I miss playing with the toolkit a bit as well.

I chose to go with the 360 verision this time not because my PC couldn't play it well, I'm sure it would, but I just prefer to play in an easy chair on a big HDTV over my computer monitor. Considering the hours I've put into the game, the easy chair has been a nice choice. :D

I got Morrowind for Xbox and then for PC and then I picked up the GOTY edition again on Xbox. :lol

Maya

Kung Fu Jedi said:
I'm on 360, so no help here, but someone did post some screen shots of some mods that they recommended.

Edit: You may also find more info on Mods over at this site:

http://www.oblivionsource.com/

That may have been me in post #8918. ;)

I'm thrilled that I can now make kinda attractive female characters, but wow does someone need to work on the she-male grunts and moans. That would be a tough mod I would imagine.

The one issue I have been having is getting the Ren' Beauty head and neck to syncronize with Eshme's Female body mod. People have done it, but I'm still trying to make it work.

Not to be an ass to the 360 owners but OMG:

elder_1_591.jpg

(here's more)

Maya said:
That may have been me in post #8918. ;)

Sorry dude! Didn't notice it was you that posted on the mods! :lol

Maya said:

elder_1_591.jpg

(here's more)

Oh, you're not being an ass. That's a sweet set up. But unfortunately, it's not one that I can go with. The larger, HDTV is more practical for me. That is indeed awesome though.

GhaleonEB

Suerte said:
Only 50 hours in before I discovered the "wait" function on the back button today. :lol
I'm feeling better and better about missing Very Important Features of this game. The thing I discovered the other day on my new character, which I alluded to the other day, was that the compass will tell you when you are near locations that are undiscovered so far. I though it only pointed to places you found already. So to search for new places I just wandered aimlessly. Now I watch it and go "discover" and get the map marker for everything that I get near.

That's going to save me so. Many. Hours. :lol

Maya said:

elder_1_591.jpg

(here's more)
That's awesome, but I'd have a hard time explaining that purchase to my wife. "You know that second mortgate we have out? I just added a third."

Top Bottom