• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls V: Dragonborn |OT| Did you think you were the only one?

GhaleonEB

I'll put it like this.

It took my level 56 character at least twenty health potions, a dozen health spells, a dragon as (variable) backup and a fortunately timed level up to get the guy down. And I was playing on Expert, not Master.

Once you're done with him,
go read up on him on UESP or TES Wiki. He was originally in Bloodmoon.

By the way, judging from your Legendary Dragon comment, I take it you bought Dawnguard?

Narvajn the Dunmer got settled in Raven Rock. Level 20 now, clad in heavy Chitin (which looks awesome, really fitting for traversing the ash wastes) and his only weapons are the ones he conjures up. Lots left to do.

I have not bought Dawnguard, but I've decided I will at some point. A small nagging part of me wants to get all the achievements, and another part of me wants to support Bethesda for making one of my favorite games ever. And the impressions in the Skyrim threads have been very positive. I skipped it in large part because it came out at a time when I was taking a break from Skyrim. And I really wanted a full, Shivering Isles expansion, not a Knights of the Nine quest line. Well, we got the expansion.

Since a level 78 character has to be a jack of all trades of sorts, I'm using a very rich combat style, incorporating archery, one handed (daggers only), the crafting skills, illusion, sneak and destruction. I know that's not enough on its own to get me there, so I'm planning out a career path of sorts for this character. Once I'm through with Dragonborn I'll head back to Skyrim and take on a different career/play style for some final achievements. Then alter it further and snag Dawnguard.

That way my jack of all trades will feel a bit like three different characters, as I move through the different parts of the game. It's kind of fun to plan out the different play style, and then develop them, overcome initial struggle, and then see it start to become really effective. It's why I play so many different characters. I figure taking one character through career paths like this will help her stay fresh.

Isn't there a mage I can hire in Markarth? I'm gonna ditch "I am sworn to carry your burdens."

I finished the main quest once, with a crazy powerful archer/thief character. When I completed the quest where I killed the first dragon, I spoke to the Jarl of Whiterun, became thane, and was granted Lydia as a companion. I turned around and went into sneak mode right there. Everyone lost track of me. I took aim at Lydia over near the entrance to Dragonsreach, and tagged her with a 3x damage, poisoned sneak shot. She crumpled like a soggy newspaper. I dragged her body to the corner and left her there for the campaign.

I am not a member of the Lydia fan club.

soldat7

I finished the main quest once, with a crazy powerful archer/thief character. When I completed the quest where I killed the first dragon, I spoke to the Jarl of Whiterun, became thane, and was granted Lydia as a companion. I turned around and went into sneak mode right there. Everyone lost track of me. I took aim at Lydia over near the entrance to Dragonsreach, and tagged her with a 3x damage, poisoned sneak shot. She crumpled like a soggy newspaper. I dragged her body to the corner and left her there for the campaign.

Ice cold lol.

GhaleonEB

Is that the place with the
Spider crafting thing
?

Yeah. I'm lugging 100+ of those guys out with me. Been stockpiling certain ingredients without knowing what they did, but hoping they had a use. Gonna fit in very nicely with my sneaking, mischievous character.

Just a hugely unexpected and crazy discovery/development.
I came up with eight recipes just with what I had on me. I'm sure there's a lot more to find later. I LOVE this kind of crafting/experimenting.

Edit: I just now realized how clever it was to stock the cave with gem deposits before we got to that point.

Mastperf

I bought Dragonborn day 1 but haven't started playing yet since Skyrim absolutely consumes me and makes me a useless terd who isn't happy unless I'm playing it. I need to wait before consuming my Skyrim crack again. How is it so far and how does it compare to Dawnguard?

Jinjo

Lol. I hurled Lydia of Throat of the World after she decided to die there. Seemed like a proper burial. I am still waiting for the day where I find her body on a random road lol. (I actually looked after, but couldn't find it)

Enchanting & smithing are really key to having a versatile character. I'm mainly a "battlemage" if you wanna give it a name, but if I slap on some rings & necklaces, switch my gear I can easily go the sneak/archer route. Which is what I really like about Skyrim. At first I was mostly heavy armor/one-handed. Now I have more of a mage character than a warrior type. Relying on alteration to keep my armor up, restoration, destruction and one-handed. But my Daedra butler is carrying my warrior/archery gear if I wanna switch on the fly. Pretty fun stuff. (the perk switching makes it even more versatile)

Sea Dragons would be cool. Make them much different and more like sea monsters guarding various treasure, quest items and new gear underwater. Could even have some underwater temples and such.

That would be really cool for an Elder Scrolls game set on the Summerset Isles.

Nah nah nah, we need some krakens in the oceans. I remember swimming in the northern sea exploring one of the shipwrecks up there and thinking how spooky it was in the murky water. If some giant squid had lunged out at me I would have been pretty freaked out.

Still making my way through Dawnguard for the first time. The Soul Cairn kind of sucks. Its sort of cool at first, but despite its size, it gets pretty boring and its easy to lose your way.

Yeah, Dawnguard kind of shifts in focus half way through and gets kind of amazing.

I loved the focus on story-telling and basically the addition of another guild that it brought. My only problem is having to be a vampire to do things.

I'm curious to see what the new water in Dragonborn looks like on PC, and if it's significantly better in general and better than how it looks in the 360 version.

Edit: Whoops. Double-post. Sorry.

Yeah, Dawnguard kind of shifts in focus half way through and gets kind of amazing.

I loved the focus on story-telling and basically the addition of another guild that it brought. My only problem is having to be a vampire to do things.

I'm curious to see what the new water in Dragonborn looks like on PC, and if it's significantly better in general and better than how it looks in the 360 version.

Edit: Whoops. Double-post. Sorry.

It's not new, dont get your hopes up. They only added a wave animation to some scores, similar to How they did rapids in the main game. Doesn't even react when you walk through it.

Hmmmm... anyone that's played Dawnguard, help me out here. I think my game might be messed up.

After fighting
Durnheviir in the Soul Cairn
it seems Serana no longer is following me. I figured maybe she would just automatically teleport back with me once I left the Soul Cairn. No such luck. Then I get back to Skyrim proper and the sky isn't your typical Skyrim sky but its the Soul Cairn sky! Ugh...is that some plot point that'll be acknowledged or is my game screwed up? That black hole in the sky looks sort of neat within Skyrim though...

Edit: After fast travelling a bit, Serana is back but the sky is still weird.

Hmmmm... anyone that's played Dawnguard, help me out here. I think my game might be messed up.

After fighting
it seems Serana no longer is following me. I figured maybe she would just automatically teleport back with me once I left the Soul Cairn. No such luck. Then I get back to Skyrim proper and the sky isn't your typical Skyrim sky but its the Soul Cairn sky! Ugh...is that some plot point that'll be acknowledged or is my game screwed up? That black hole in the sky looks sort of neat within Skyrim though...

That's a bug. :p

Xevren

I have not bought Dawnguard, but I've decided I will at some point. A small nagging part of me wants to get all the achievements, and another part of me wants to support Bethesda for making one of my favorite games ever. And the impressions in the Skyrim threads have been very positive. I skipped it in large part because it came out at a time when I was taking a break from Skyrim. And I really wanted a full, Shivering Isles expansion, not a Knights of the Nine quest line. Well, we got the expansion.

Since a level 78 character has to be a jack of all trades of sorts, I'm using a very rich combat style, incorporating archery, one handed (daggers only), the crafting skills, illusion, sneak and destruction. I know that's not enough on its own to get me there, so I'm planning out a career path of sorts for this character. Once I'm through with Dragonborn I'll head back to Skyrim and take on a different career/play style for some final achievements. Then alter it further and snag Dawnguard.

Looks like Dawnguard will be going on sale on the 31st, so if you are wanting to get it you could just wait till then for a discount.

After fighting

That's not normal. What platform are you playing in? If console I'd definitely recommend you revert to a save prior to entering Soul Cairn oar at the very least before your fight with Durnehviir and try again. IF PC download THIS and try again, if it's still happening revert anyway and try again.

Alternatively you can keep going and hope it fixes itself after some time but I don't recommend it.

That's not normal. What platform are you playing in? If console I'd definitely recommend you revert to a save prior to entering Soul Cairn oar at the very least before your fight with Durnehviir and try again. IF PC download THIS and try again, if it's still happening revert anyway and try again.

Alternatively you can keep going and hope it fixes itself after some time but I don't recommend it.

Playing on PC.

I was starting to get a little worried. I went back to a save from within the Soul Cairn and found that my mouse didn't work- couldn't attack or change perspectives. So I was planning on going back to a save from before I went in the Soul Cairn. But before I did that I just rested for about 24 hours outside Fort Dawnguard. Woke up and the sky is normal! My guy must have been really tired I guess :)

I think I did pretty well on my Russian exam, thanks in large part to my godlike professor walking me through the parts where I got stuck. I have my last exam tomorrow, and there's really no way to study for that one. I think I am now free to play Skyrim. Lots and lots of Skyrim.

Time to start leveling up some of my newer characters.

PooBone

Hey everyone. I got Skyrim today and am gonna play it for the first time since January. I have a level 40 something character saved that I completed the thieves guild with. I never completed the main quest, probably did half of it or a little more. Killed tons of dragons.

Anyway, should I stick with that character or reroll a new one? Also, which DLC should I get and should it be played after the main quest or does it not matter?

Hey everyone. I got Skyrim today and am gonna play it for the first time since January. I have a level 40 something character saved that I completed the thieves guild with. I never completed the main quest, probably did half of it or a little more. Killed tons of dragons.

Anyway, should I stick with that character or reroll a new one? Also, which DLC should I get and should it be played after the main quest or does it not matter?

I like to start new characters for new questlines. It's up to you if you want to start over, though.

As for the DLC, I feel like both Dawnguard and Dragonborn should be played after the main quest. Dawnguard isn't a neccessity, but it's a cool journey and gives your character some cool new shouts.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Bought both expansions and started up Dawnguard myself finally and absolutely loving it.

Though I'm level 66 and playing on Master, the game is still stupidly easy(aren't all enemies capped out at 30? Buh...)

The new crossbow weapon is actually great fun to use and just wrecks vampires. My bow still handles everything else with ease, but a new option for my archery perks is a great touch.

Only issue is just how many goddamn glitches these DLC's add to the overall package. Unless I'm careful, damn near every quest feels like it could fail or glitch out at any given moment. I've had to resort to some very shady workarounds to 'fix' some of the progression scripting on 360 for some of them. Also, any 'radiant' locations that quest-givers offer to complete a chain may also choose from a pool of locations in Solsteim, which now forces me to abandon a clean run of Dawnguard to visit the new land early...such as finding a crossbow schematic in a Solsteim dungeon. Didn't want to visit that place until all of Dawnguard was finished.

Even after an extended break and nearly 200 hours on my single character so far, I am just amazed at how quickly this game can re-absorb me. Bugs and all, I want to see everything!

PK Gaming

I can't kill him after damaging him to a certain point, he just stays invincible forever...

apparently
miraak is supposed to absorb the soul of dragons during the fight but he can't in my game, so i think i'm forced to restart the dlc

Balya

I can't kill him after damaging him to a certain point, he just stays invincible forever...

apparently
miraak is supposed to absorb the soul of dragons during the fight but he can't in my game, so i think i'm forced to restart the dlc

Just keep reloading and trying again, it happened to me and seemed to be related to how fast you were damaging him. Switch to something weaker and see if that helps.

Slermy

apparently

Oh weird. I haven't heard of that happening. My own fight was pretty tough as I ran out of arrows (my primary means of attack). I ended up hiding behind
a stack of books
and spamming dual
Flaming Familiars (from the High Gate Ruins near Solitude)
until he died. Took me a good 15 minutes doing so. This was AFTER he had already
absorbed the dragons' souls and was fighting me one on one

Quite the epic fight.

GhaleonEB

My daughter has run - literally - into a crash bug on Solstheim. Near a fort outside of Raven Rock, she searches an ash spawn pile for loot, then turns to walk along the shore. And bam, hard lock. Turn off the system, reboot.

It locked in the exact same spot four times in a row for her. I took her game, and figured it was something not loading correctly. So I fast traveled to a nearby landmark to re-load the area. Then went walking along the beach, and...bam. Hard lock in the exact same place. So that's five.

Not really sure what to do. I'm hoping it's on this one spot and not on that half of the island or something. We turned the system off for a while and will try again later.

GhaleonEB

Is it while looking in a certain direction? Or just proximity?

I didn't try backing into it, so it was all looking in the same direction. And she knew exactly where it was; when I took over she said, "It happens right....there," and right as she said "there" the game froze. Then the second time I tried it after the fast travel was the same. We were facing the shoreline.

I'll try fast traveling to two and resetting from there next time it's on.

Effect

Am I crazy for enjoying Skyrim PC more without the mods? I have no problem installing them but something about the simpler experience that I just like more at times.

moojito

Am I crazy for enjoying Skyrim PC more without the mods? I have no problem installing them but something about the simpler experience that I just like more at times.

Yes. Something like the roadside/village lanterns mods don't change the game in any meaningful way, but add so much to the atmosphere. There's always some mod which would make the experience better.

If your point is it's already a great experience then aye, I agree, but it can always be made better.

Slermy

I didn't try backing into it, so it was all looking in the same direction. And she knew exactly where it was; when I took over she said, "It happens right....there," and right as she said "there" the game froze. Then the second time I tried it after the fast travel was the same. We were facing the shoreline.

I'll try fast traveling to two and resetting from there next time it's on.

I'd also try waiting a few in game days before fast traveling back to the spot where it freezes.

Not at all. It's what the developers created and it sits on its own very well. I kind of hate mods, though (ones that alter the core experience, not addons like quests or the like). If you need them to make the game better or more enjoyable, then you are wasting your time on a poor game. There are many games out there, you don't have to like all of them.

I believe altering the original work to your preference is unacceptable in any other artform, video games included.

KKRT00

Not at all. It's what the developers created and it sits on its own very well. I kind of hate mods, though (ones that alter the core experience, not addons like quests or the like). If you need them to make the game better or more enjoyable, then you are wasting your time on a poor game. There are many games out there, you don't have to like all of them.

I believe altering the original work to your preference is unacceptable in any other artform, video games included.

Now, thats crazy.

MrBig

Nothing is perfect and no one holds the same opinion on everything. If someone wants to make something more suitable to themselves then that is absolutely acceptable, and the developers who realize that they aren't perfect but still want to provide players with a fantastic experience and give their players the tools to change their games and make them their own are doing a fantastic job.

GhaleonEB

Bethesda creates and releases tools to do specifically that. Skyrim is designed to be modded, by the developers. It is the developer's intent that you mod them.

Bethesda's games are all about experiencing them the way you want to experience them, and that philosophy includes mods.

Okay, so I've been working on building my house with Hearthfire and twice today I've encountered C++ Runtime error R6025 along with a crash to desktop. From what I've read online, it seems like it affects people with Dawnguard, which I have. Do any PC players know how to fix this?

I have a little poll for you guys.

Which Elder Scrolls hero do you think was the best and most accomplished- Dovahkiin, the Hero of Kvatch, the Nerevarine, or whoever came before the Nerevarine in "Daggerfall"?

Volimar

Which Elder Scrolls hero do you think was the best and most accomplished- Dovahkiin, the Hero of Kvatch, the Nerevarine, or whoever came before the Nerevarine in "Daggerfall"?

Well, there's a statue of the Hero of Kvatch in Bruma...that's gotta count for something.

The Eternal Champion saved an Emperor and an Empire by travelling across the realm.
The Agent did so many things he fractured time itself.
The Nerevarine saved Morrowind from being overrun by an ancient evil.
The Champion helped an Emperor save Tamriel, and ultimately became a God.
The Dovahkiin saved the entire world from being laid to waste by an ancient God of destruction.

It's difficult. If you take only the main quests of the mainline ES games, the two Champions are out immediately: the first is a manservant of Ria Silvane and the second is a manservant of Sean Bean. I think it's a tie between the Nerevarine and the Dovahkiin. The Agent from Daggerfall is in a different category altogether, he broke the fucking currents of time.

Arjen

level 78 on Master, Draugr Death overlords everywhere, dayumn.
Also saw a new type of dragon today, Serpentine, is that a step above Legendary?

level 78 on Master, Draugr Death overlords everywhere, dayumn.
Also saw a new type of dragon today, Serpentine, is that a step above Legendary?

No, they spawn on lower levels, too.

Ended my Dunmer ash-walker. For some reason I can never get invested in any other character types except the big hero Dragonborn.

Which is what I'm now starting anew as.

I don't remember that. Does it change depending on your race and face?

I looked it up. The game duplicates your character race, age, and face, and then tacks on whatever it considers to be the best equipment you had in your inventory at the time you exited the Great Gate, not necessarily what you had equipped.

Volimar

Are serpentine dragons new in dragonborn? Man I gotta get that dlc...

The talk about the hero of Kvatch is making me want to play Oblivion again. Gotta hold off though, trying to get my latest guy up to max level in Skyrim.

KorrZ

Finished the main quest line of Dragonborn. I really like this DLC, Solstheim is incredible. The Morrowind style music is a great touch, and really helps you to feel like you're in a different place (especially in the northern parts where it looks very similar to something out of regular Skyrim.)

My only complaint is that the main quest was very very short. I was pretty shocked when I realized that I was on the final quest so quickly, I feel like they really could have done much more with Miraak. The first dragonborn is such an interesting idea, but it was executed pretty poorly. Dawnguard was much better in this regard.

Here's hoping the next DLC can combine the strengths of both Dawnguard and Dragonborn into a perfect package.

Arjen

Had such a funny experience in Solstheim yesterday.
Minor spoiler from the beginning of Dragonborn
I walked outside Ravenrock, when i see a man standing near the edge of the water, he yelled in a crazy voice, it's gonna work! I know it! Then BAM he lifts of like a rocket shooting straight in the air, but then he drops down, dead on the ground. Found a note on his body, explaining his actions, time to dig into that.

Balya

That's in tribute to something that happens
in Morrowind, near Seyda Neen a mage falls out of the sky and dies.

Top Bottom