• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls V: Dragonborn |OT| Did you think you were the only one?

bengraven

I always loved your writeups Ghaleon. From far back in the Oblivion days.

lol

I miss Lydia, I kind of regret sending her to become one of the Blades.

I loaded up Skyrim after having not played in months and Lydia is completely missing. I'm fairly certain I married her, as well.

I might have to do some trickery to bring her back.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
I've started a new game. I finished my first playthrough of Skyrim at about 130 hours and there were still a ton of major side quests I never tackled (Dark Brotherhood, Civil War). I'll do pretty much what I did before except I'll skip the companions for sure.

So I got Oblivion for Christmas, the GOTY edition.

I have to say Ghaleon was right yet again, when he described it as being essentially the skeleton of Skyrim. Nearly everything is much better in Skyrim, as is only right for games that were five years apart. However, there are a few things I prefer in this one:

The Age slider in Oblivion character creation is just what I wish had been in Skyrim. Seems like every time I try to create a young girl in that game, she comes out looking like she's fifty. Don't have that problem here.
The class system is great here, as well.
I also love the Fame/Infamy system, how there's quests and dialogue that only come up if you lean morally to one side or another. There's nothing like that in Skyrim.

The big thing that sticks out to me about Oblivion is how complicated it is compared to Skyrim. The UI is nearly equivalent to Halo 4's in levels of suck. You have to dig through so many layers to find anything, and it really wears on you after a while.

Even with all this, I'm still enjoying myself immensely. It's just quite a step down from Skyrim in terms of gameplay overall.
Console, sorry. Appreciate the thought, though.

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
Dragonborn or Dawnguard?

Which do you guys think is the better package? I'm leaning more toward Dragonborn since it features Morrowind content.

daedalius

I like your ideas for hardcore mode Ghal, I could totally get behind no fast travel besides using caravans.

Just beat Miraak, wasn't as tough as I'd hoped. But unfortunately after Dark Souls and raiding in WoW, nothing is.

I've been putting in my hours at work this holiday and by work, I of course mean Skyrim; good work indeed :) Anyway, I still find things that grip me about the systems in this game.

Sound Design
  • I'm pretty spec'ed for speed so I'm still blown away when I'm running passed a bandit camp that's just outside my field of view and too far to discover an I hear an arrow wiz by me and I know exactly which direction it came from. How many systems were in play just to make this simple little thing happen?
  • I was catching bees on my way to find the crown that will hold the 24 jewels I found during my thieving days and it hit me: I'm catching bees in a densely wooded area on an un even mountain side and because the tree leaves, terrain and brush obscure my view, I'm totally just using sound to do this. I approached it as though it should just work and it did.
  • Unless its night where you can see that cool pale-green glow of the ninroot, you will almost always discover their location by sound alone.

Adventures in "Gotta go fast"
Trying to minimize the number of broken quests in my quest log, I've been trying to not accidently trigger or at least complete quests by doing crazy things like killing a quest boss that I shouldn't kill yet or taking something from the loot chest at the end of the level (Gawd I love the idea of giant chest at the end of anything... like the pot of gold at the end of a rainbow... never change <3); I digress. To accomplish this task, I've been verifying (whenever I can remember to) against a wiki, to see if multiple quests overlap at a given location. When they do, I perform a surgical strike of sorts where I stealth through to the quest item, grab the item, and bolt out of the dungeon like hell itself was chasing me. I was surprised at what I saw. Without giving any spoilers, I've been I a few places where I saw very high-level bosses (none-humans) doing things that you wouldn't have guessed they would do... like sleeping... in bed :/ This plan almost always worked accept for one case where I was facing a bunch of pyromancers (the most broken attack in the game next to duel-wielding foresworn briar hearts @ level 50+ who have a 1 second combo attack that will kill you regardless of how coked-out and decked out you may be) that messed my shit up. I could sneak in but would always get a destruction flame spell to the back that would kill me since I'd get hit with them simultaneously. I fixed this by sneaking in and using a +85% one hand all perked up for axing +60% fortify 1-handed potion +improved dedric legendary at 135% +47% enchantment for fortify 1-handed on my gloves +3X stealth hit bonus +critical hit bonus which I got on that swing +5 second paralysis poison (just in case that that didn't do it), I swung. I tore his shit up(!) and watched as his summoned dedra vanish. This gave me the chance I needed to down an invisibility potion and book-it! I was out the dungeon before I realized I had only took the quest item from the chest and left all the gold and ebony artifacts :( ...I didn't go back. I'll have to go back eventually when the overlapping quest gets triggered but damn that felt good to whack the boss with such a broken weapon. Honestly... I think I may have dumped over 2000 in damage into one hit..

Slermy

Reminder that 360 content is on sale today (31st) for both Oblivion and Skyrim:

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim: Dawnguard
The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim: Hearthfire
The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion
The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion: Shivering Isles
The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion: Knights of the Nine

GhaleonEB

I've been putting in my hours at work this holiday and by work, I of course mean Skyrim; good work indeed :) Anyway, I still find things that grip me about the systems in this game.

Sound Design
  • I'm pretty spec'ed for speed so I'm still blown away when I'm running passed a bandit camp that's just outside my field of view and too far to discover an I hear an arrow wiz by me and I know exactly which direction it came from. How many systems were in play just to make this simple little thing happen?
  • I was catching bees on my way to find the crown that will hold the 24 jewels I found during my thieving days and it hit me: I'm catching bees in a densely wooded area on an un even mountain side and because the tree leaves, terrain and brush obscure my view, I'm totally just using sound to do this. I approached it as though it should just work and it did.
  • Unless its night where you can see that cool pale-green glow of the ninroot, you will almost always discover their location by sound alone.
Great post, the sound design in Skyrim is very strong. To add a thought: I do a lot of walking in Skyrim, since I don't fast travel outside of wagons. A lot of walking. And one of the (many) things that makes walking around so enjoyable is the sound of walking around Skyrim's various terrains. I know that sound silly, but it's important. There's a wonderful earthiness to the footstep sounds in this game. Walking on loose gravel has a great scrunch scrunch with a hint of kicked stones tumbling; the sound of hopping down hard rock faces is just as detailed, in how you can hear each heavy foot landing on hard rock separately. And my favorite, the slightly squeaky scrinch scrinch walking across deep snow in the north. It sounds exactly like walking on deep, fresh snow. I love it. Again, just little stuff that makes the world more enjoyable.

Reminder that 360 content is on sale today (31st) for both Oblivion and Skyrim:

Just snagged Dawnguard for 800 MSP. My current character is going to ignore it (to the extent possible) for a very long time, I've got a host of other things I want to work on first around my current play style. But I'm looking forward to it.

So happy that I finally got the platinum trophy for this game. The Reader trophy was the worst because I ignored the books the entire game.

hlhbk

Any word when Dragon Bourne is going to be available on PC? Is it sad I am considering and double dipping by purchasing Skyrim on 360?

JDdelphin

It's not so bad if you get Skyrim for the 360 today when it's up for download at $30 with some dlc for half off.

You can't even get Skyrim used for $30 :p

If you're in the US or NA, you can probably find a Skyrim code on Ebay for less than $20 if you were going to buy it digitally anyway.

JDdelphin

How is the performance on the 360?

I'd say it's pretty good as well, the only real downside is that if you get a glitch, you're stuck with it...
There's a good listing of what can disappear or eff up, and very little of it is gamebreaking (if at all anymore after the last update)

Great post, the sound design in Skyrim is very strong. To add a thought: I do a lot of walking in Skyrim, since I don't fast travel outside of wagons. A lot of walking. And one of the (many) things that makes walking around so enjoyable is the sound of walking around Skyrim's various terrains. I know that sound silly, but it's important. There's a wonderful earthiness to the footstep sounds in this game. Walking on loose gravel has a great scrunch scrunch with a hint of kicked stones tumbling; the sound of hopping down hard rock faces is just as detailed, in how you can hear each heavy foot landing on hard rock separately. And my favorite, the slightly squeaky scrinch scrinch walking across deep snow in the north. It sounds exactly like walking on deep, fresh snow. I love it. Again, just little stuff that makes the world more enjoyable.

Just snagged Dawnguard for 800 MSP. My current character is going to ignore it (to the extent possible) for a very long time, I've got a host of other things I want to work on first around my current play style. But I'm looking forward to it.

Sigh. . Just thinking about how the AQ of th PS3 is the only thing I miss compared to the PC version. It's not close.

GhaleonEB

I'm putting off Dawnguard for a while, but I'm enjoying how the content it adds to the game is so seamlessly dropped in. I'm finding bolts for crossbows now, and a few other items. I noted a Dwemer device at a ruin I hadn't seen before. Got attacked by a vampire at night while thieving in Windhelm. So great.

Smithing a bit ago I realized I can make my own arrows now - I had no idea it was included. My daughter has been lamenting how she can't make them for over a year now. I'm not going to tell her, just wait and see how long it takes her to notice. That's probably he most desired feature. :lol

Edit: and something new was attacking the horses at the stables. I love knowing there's a ton of new content and I'm just seeing the edges of it in the game. Not that Skyrim lacks it; I just did a new side quest and the related dungeon, one I'd never seen before. I figured it was part of Dawnguard, but looking it up, it's part of the main game. o_0

I'm putting off Dawnguard for a while, but I'm enjoying how the content it adds to the game is so seamlessly dropped in. I'm finding bolts for crossbows now, and a few other items. I noted a Dwemer device at a ruin I hadn't seen before. Got attacked by a vampire at night while thieving in Windhelm. So great.

Smithing a bit ago I realized I can make my own arrows now - I had no idea it was included. My daughter has been lamenting how she can't make them for over a year now. I'm not going to tell her, just wait and see how long it takes her to notice. That's probably he most desired feature. :lol

Edit: and something new was attacking the horses at the stables. I love knowing there's a ton of new content and I'm just seeing the edges of it in the game. Not that Skyrim lacks it; I just did a new side quest and the related dungeon, one I'd never seen before. I figured it was part of Dawnguard, but looking it up, it's part of the main game. o_0

You have to be careful about delaying dawnguard, because vamps will continue to attack townspeople, shopkeepers, etc untiil you start the quest. Hopefully you have the PC version and can start the game without loading it.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
Is Daedra stuff the best stuff you can get or are there something better? Also, what's everybody's opinion on joining the legion or stormcloaks? Benefits of one over the other? Both groups seem moronic to me. I could already tell the main problem lies elsewhere.

You have to be careful about delaying dawnguard, because vamps will continue to attack townspeople, shopkeepers, etc untiil you start the quest. Hopefully you have the PC version and can start the game without loading it.

He's on the 360. So am I, though, and I've never had any trouble. If Vampires attack, I can usually off them before they kill anyone.

Ghaleon might have it a bit tougher because he's playing on Master, but I think he'll like the challenge.

Slermy

They also only attack at night I think. So if you try to only visit cities during the day you should also be good.

GhaleonEB

He's on the 360. So am I, though, and I've never had any trouble. If Vampires attack, I can usually off them before they kill anyone.

Ghaleon might have it a bit tougher because he's playing on Master, but I think he'll like the challenge.

Correct on both. It was a master vampire that attacked, and I was able to take him down with little trouble, sword and board style. Hopefully I can intervene quickly enough in later attacks.

I don't know why I didn't try shifting play styles on a character before. It's been a lot of fun leveraging some of my other skills (such as crafting) to get a leg up on this new phase. I transitioned around level 35, so the world is filled with pretty rough stuff for someone with combat skills in the mid 20's. But marching in with a Nordic sword and shield with powerful enchantments and big improvements via smithing and Illusion in a good place gave me a leg up. Still got clobbered a lot, but I've slowly mounted the curve to the point where I can go one on one with Draugr Deathlords and come out on top.

Well, most of the time. The first one I took down sword and board was incredibly exhilarating. The melee combat is relatively simple, but there's a rhythm to it which when combine with the clanging brutality is quite enjoyable.

I love how master difficulty makes every perk matter, every bump in skill or better loot critical. I've got about five perks I want right now to augment my combat style. So even though I'm level 50, the game doesn't feel like a grind. The carrot still dangles.

I plan to restore the Thieves Guild, push the main quest along, build a house, finish up a couple of Dragonborn tasks and get through much of the main quest before tackling Dawnguard fully. Though I may start to dabble in it a bit along the way.
They also only attack at night I think. So if you try to only visit cities during the day you should also be good.

Thanks for the tip. I was thinking about doing just this, waiting some distance outside of towns so I arrive at night. Though I'll hit some towns at night due to my thieving career.

Correct on both. It was a master vampire that attacked, and I was able to take him down with little trouble, sword and board style. Hopefully I can intervene quickly enough in later attacks.

I don't know why I didn't try shifting play styles on a character before. It's been a lot of fun leveraging some of my other skills (such as crafting) to get a leg up on this new phase. I transitioned around level 35, so the world is filled with pretty rough stuff for someone with combat skills in the mid 20's. But marching in with a Nordic sword and shield with powerful enchantments and big improvements via smithing and Illusion in a good place gave me a leg up. Still got clobbered a lot, but I've slowly mounted the curve to the point where I can go one on one with Draugr Deathlords and come out on top.

Well, most of the time. The first one I took down sword and board was incredibly exhilarating. The melee combat is relatively simple, but there's a rhythm to it which when combine with the clanging brutality is quite enjoyable.

I love how master difficulty makes every perk matter, every bump in skill or better loot critical. I've got about five perks I want right now to augment my combat style. So even though I'm level 50, the game doesn't feel like a grind. The carrot still dangles.

I plan to restore the Thieves Guild, push the main quest along, build a house, finish up a couple of Dragonborn tasks and get through much of the main quest before tackling Dawnguard fully. Though I may start to dabble in it a bit along the way.

Thanks for the tip. I was thinking about doing just this, waiting some distance outside of towns so I arrive at night. Though I'll hit some towns at night due to my thieving career.

You'll love Dawnguard, I think. I still have fond memories of exploring the new areas added.

Sword and board is so OP. The game is over when you get shield charge.

Is Daedra stuff the best stuff you can get or are there something better? Also, what's everybody's opinion on joining the legion or stormcloaks? Benefits of one over the other? Both groups seem moronic to me. I could already tell the main problem lies elsewhere.

Dragon stuff is the best.

I always go Stormcloak, but in terms of material benefits, there's no benefit of one over the other. The only difference is your personal preference.

I'm pro Empire. They're not perfect, but in the face of a looming second Great War, Skyrim needs the Empire as much as the Empire needs Skyrim.

One of the fun little things about that is that
Ulfric realizes it too. If you kill him before 'Sovngarde' and encounter him in the mist, he'll flat-out say he regrets plunging Skyrim into civil war.

shiroryu

I'm pro Empire. They're not perfect, but in the face of a looming second Great War, Skyrim needs the Empire as much as the Empire needs Skyrim.

One of the fun little things about that is that
Ulfric realizes it too. If you kill him before 'Sovngarde' and encounter him in the mist, he'll flat-out say he regrets plunging Skyrim into civil war.

Except that with the Thalmor sinking their claws into Skyrim, they are probably already compromised. My mage character prevented the Thalmor from
gaining control of the all-powerful sphere
during the College guild quests. One wonders what else the Thalmor will have subverted if the present state of affairs continues, to use to their benefit in the second war.

I haven't come across any in-game notes of the Empire trying to actively counter any such Thalmor subterfuge (hidden knives against the Thalmor's hidden knives), so it's stupendously naive of the Empire to think that they could simply let the Thalmor in, bide their time, and boot them out when their strength is back.

To me, it's more a case of the Empire giving up Talos and Skyrim to survive. The Stormcloaks aren't any better, of course - Ulfric in particular is using parochial grandstanding to get himself some power.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Come on bring the PC version here. The sooner it gets released the sooner I can buy it on sale.

Except that with the Thalmor sinking their claws into Skyrim, they are probably already compromised. My mage character prevented the Thalmor from
gaining control of the all-powerful sphere
during the College guild quests. One wonders what else the Thalmor will have subverted if the present state of affairs continues, to use to their benefit in the second war.

I haven't come across any in-game notes of the Empire trying to actively counter any such Thalmor subterfuge (hidden knives against the Thalmor's hidden knives), so it's stupendously naive of the Empire to think that they could simply let the Thalmor in, bide their time, and boot them out when their strength is back.

To me, it's more a case of the Empire giving up Talos and Skyrim to survive. The Stormcloaks aren't any better, of course - Ulfric in particular is using parochial grandstanding to get himself some power.

And let's be honest, it's stupendously naive of the Stormcloaks to think they can defeat the Dominion by themselves. Even Hammerfell, the nation with the best combatants in all of Tamriel, couldn't do it and was forced to sign a treaty, eventually having to cede several large portions of land to the elves. The Thalmor are running around, blowing up districts in that country, too, and there's little the Redguards can do about it.

Basically, screw the Thalmor. :lol

shiroryu

And let's be honest, it's stupendously naive of the Stormcloaks to think they can defeat the Dominion by themselves. Even Hammerfell, the nation with the best combatants in all of Tamriel, couldn't do it and was forced to sign a treaty, eventually having to cede several large portions of land to the elves. The Thalmor are running around, blowing up districts in that country, too, and there's little the Redguards can do about it.

Basically, screw the Thalmor. :lol

Yeah, the Stormcloaks are basically rah-rah macho men/women rushing to suicide or proud Nords fighting to their deaths against subjugation, depending on the viewpoint. It's the Imperials' supposed pragmatism that rankles with me because they aren't keeping a close enough watch on the Thalmor(my reading, based on whatever quests I've played - this game is fucking huge).

I keep wondering whether it would've been feasible for the Dragonborns (Ulfric and you) to hold the Thalmor to some sort of concord for taking care of Alduin. I would've gotten a ton of leverage out of the fact that dragonslayers are a Skyrim product; stay the fuck out of Skyrim and the Empire if you don't want the world to end.

And yes, screw the Thalmor. Bethesda, I will pay for a Thalmor-killing DLC. A DLC where you ride dragons into Thalmor strongholds and fry the lot.

Yeah, the Stormcloaks are basically rah-rah macho men/women rushing to suicide or proud Nords fighting to their deaths against subjugation, depending on the viewpoint. It's the Imperials' supposed pragmatism that rankles with me because they aren't keeping a close enough watch on the Thalmor(my reading, based on whatever quests I've played - this game is fucking huge).

I keep wondering whether it would've been feasible for the Dragonborns (Ulfric and you) to hold the Thalmor to some sort of concord for taking care of Alduin. I would've gotten a ton of leverage out of the fact that dragonslayers are a Skyrim product; stay the fuck out of Skyrim and the Empire if you don't want the world to end.

And yes, screw the Thalmor. Bethesda, I will pay for a Thalmor-killing DLC. A DLC where you ride dragons into Thalmor strongholds and fry the lot.

Ulfric isn't Dragonborn.

lucius

I been playing Dawnguard right before my Dragonborn play, does the Husky dog Sceolang level up with you?

Dogmeat in Fallout 3 would I remember, but you had to do it a certain way, it seems like the Husky gets in trouble with some of the bosses, but I am playing on master and not sure if she is leveling up with me.

Balya

That dog is capped at 25 according to UESP. The only dog worth having after that is Vigilance, capped at 50.

Looks like I won't be able to buy the plot of land in Falkreath with this new character, damn. I got a letter from Jarl Siddgeir inviting me to visit him, but when I talk to him I only get two standard options, nothing about helping him out. I've done a crapton of quests in Falkreath already, but no dice.

Guess I'll have to head to Dawnstar instead.

GhaleonEB

Looks like I won't be able to buy the plot of land in Falkreath with this new character, damn. I got a letter from Jarl Siddgeir inviting me to visit him, but when I talk to him I only get two standard options, nothing about helping him out. I've done a crapton of quests in Falkreath already, but no dice.

Guess I'll have to head to Dawnstar instead.

The option might be leveled, so check back on it later.

lucius

That dog is capped at 25 according to UESP. The only dog worth having after that is Vigilance, capped at 50.

That kind of sucks but good to know thanks, I did one playthrough with Dogmeat in Fallout without him leveling with me, but I must have reloaded like 50 times because of him dying. I might just do that with this dog since I am in no rush to beat it I like this dog more than Vigilance.

JDdelphin

So the level cap is around 81 and there's no way to respec your perks is there?
(at least not without pc mods)

I have not had one playthrough where I didn't end up wanting to switch things around at least a little bit in hindsight.

I love the ability to alter the appearance, but even if a skill point switch was a one time item or cost an exorbitant amount of money (like they did in Dragonage I think) it would be nice.

The option might be leveled, so check back on it later.

I'm level 25 at this point, so I doubt it. I've done some research, and my issue seems to be caused by conflicting quests. Problem is, I don't have any of the conflicting quests open anymore, so it's probably another stupid glitch Bethesda can't be bothered to fix.

So the level cap is around 81 and there's no way to respec your perks is there?
(at least not without pc mods)

I have not had one playthrough where I didn't end up wanting to switch things around at least a little bit in hindsight.

I love the ability to alter the appearance, but even if a skill point switch was a one time item or cost an exorbitant amount of money (like they did in Dragonage I think) it would be nice.

The end of the Dragonborn DLC allows you to respec your perks.

GhaleonEB

I'm level 25 at this point, so I doubt it. I've done some research, and my issue seems to be caused by conflicting quests. Problem is, I don't have any of the conflicting quests open anymore, so it's probably another stupid glitch Bethesda can't be bothered to fix.
That sucks. Still, check back with him periodically. I ran into a similar issue with a Daedric quest (the Whispering Door, IIRC) where the inn keeper in Whiterun didn't offer me the correct rumor, since she stops offering up new ones after level 20, and I didn't talk to her until I was past it. But I kept talking to her, cycling through bandit bounties and such, and after a couple weeks she suddenly up and offers up the rumor and I start the quest. I have no idea what triggered it. But I got the achievement after all.

That sucks. Still, check back with him periodically. I ran into a similar issue with a Daedric quest (the Whispering Door, IIRC) where the inn keeper in Whiterun didn't offer me the correct rumor, since she stops offering up new ones after level 20, and I didn't talk to her until I was past it. But I kept talking to her, cycling through bandit bounties and such, and after a couple weeks she suddenly up and offers up the rumor and I start the quest. I have no idea what triggered it. But I got the achievement after all.

I'll keep that in mind.

It's pretty crazy how this game will just pull you in. I figured I'd focus on the main quest this time, but now I'm level 25 and I haven't even done the Horn of Jurgen Windcaller yet. Once I get a home to store my excess loot (and especially the crapton of books I have), I'll get going on saving the world again.

Top Bottom