• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls V: Dragonborn |OT| Did you think you were the only one?

Does Dragonborn add anything to the game outside of Sostheim? Dawn Guard added stuff to the game like crossbows without doing the Dawn Guard quest right? Anything like that where Dragonborn adds stuff to the main game without going to Sostheim?

Not as much as Dawnguard, obviously. I can only think of the Ebony Warrior, and the Nordic Carved armor showing up on NPC's on the mainland.

If you guys haven't read, the High Resolution Texture Pack update also adds new high resolution textures to vanilla Skyrim as well.

I swear the update/Dragonborn made my performance better somehow, too. Everything is buttery smooth now, whereas before I would get a little bit of stuttering. Also, everything looks incredible now, at least on Solstheim. I think maybe everything is much more consistently high resolution after the update compared to before.

Woorloog

Banned
Re-spec? Did someone say respec? Did Dragonborn add that?

Actually, not sure why that would be so interesting, the perk system is still badly made...

GhaleonEB

Telvanni wizard? Lives in a giant mushroom? Goes with you into Dwarven Ruin to retrieve Black Book?

Did you kill a chicken?

Ah. To me he was just "that elven wizard". For most characters I don't even look at their names. :lol

Not as much as Dawnguard, obviously. I can only think of the Ebony Warrior, and the Nordic Carved armor showing up on NPC's on the mainland.

Cultists are added to the mix of random encounters on the mainland, so long as you haven't completed the main quest. And there are the four new classes of gear to smith, which you can do anywhere, but two require stuff from Solstheim. But yeah, that's about it.

I love how Darkfall cave actually is fucking dark. If you're not carrying something to light your path, you're not going to see shit.

1stStrike

Banned
I love how Darkfall cave actually is fucking dark. If you're not carrying something to light your path, you're not going to see shit.

I installed a mod to make nights actually dark. I need to use vampire vision, a torch or a magic spell to light my way on nights without a clear sky / moon otherwise it's pitch black and I'm blind as, well, a bat. Much prefer it like that.

tesv_2013_02_09_10_139rxqi.png

tesv_2013_02_09_10_144dbsr.png

When you're wandering around and something just pops out of the darkness it can make for a OH FUCK kind of moment - kind of like Dragon's Dogma in that respect.

phantomrejlc.gif

1stStrike

Banned
At first I was like wtf that is not Skyrim is it?

Yeah, that's from Dragon's Dogma. Using mods, you're able to get a similar feel from Skyrim, though. I love being able to strap the lantern to my waist and while I can't shoot arrows of light, I can use magelight or fire arrows for similar effects. Case in point:

skyrim_lantern57ko1.gif

skyrim_lantern25bzmp.gif

Little experience I'd like to share: while wandering around on Solstheim, I was attacked by two members of the Morag Tong. I killed one, and the other was taken out by some of my Riekling buddies that appeared out of nowhere (I did that quest for precisely this reason). Upon searching the bodies, it turned out that the Tong had been called on me for being a member of an "illegal and unsanctioned assassin's guild", read, the Dark Brotherhood.
Basically a little skirmish in a blood feud.

Little experience I'd like to share: while wandering around on Solstheim, I was attacked by two members of the Morag Tong. I killed one, and the other was taken out by some of my Riekling buddies that appeared out of nowhere (I did that quest for precisely this reason). Upon searching the bodies, it turned out that the Tong had been called on me for being a member of an "illegal and unsanctioned assassin's guild", read, the Dark Brotherhood.
Basically a little skirmish in a blood feud.

So cool. Dragonborn really is a big nod to Morrrowind.

The Thalmor sent a hit squad after me. Wulf's destiny has been completed.

1stStrike: Durnehviir is an actual summon, not like Odahviing. Aim your shout at the ground and you'll be able to summon him.

1stStrike

Banned
The Thalmor sent a hit squad after me. Wulf's destiny has been completed.

1stStrike: Durnehviir is an actual summon, not like Odahviing. Aim your shout at the ground and you'll be able to summon him.

Thanks, I google-fu'd that last night but didn't have the energy to go back and redo that part of the video by that point. I've since added an annotation and made a follow up video showing off Durnehviir and Soul Tear a bit.

GhaleonEB

Been doing the werewolf thing.

I had some fun with being a werewolf last night and today, and found a couple neat details along the way. I was doing the Imperial quest in the civil war story to regain The Rift, and helped (aka, did all the work) Hadvar take care of the guards around the broken down wagon. Before the battle we had a chat about his promotion, and how he feels about killing. I told him only a beast kills without feeling.

Which was perfect, since the battle for Fort Greenwall was up next. I descended from the hills as a werewolf and attacked the fort from the rear, so as to avoid crashing into my Imperial friends. I stayed up on the walls where I could manage the numbers better and ripped out nearly two dozen Stormcloak hearts. After the battle, I had a small buffet on the fleeing survivors outside of the fort.

Then I went on an extended rampage that lasted for two full day/night cycles, spanning Riften to Windhelm, before looping back and ending outside of Ivarstead. I ate damn near everything on the road (Thalmor, Imperial and Stormcloak soldiers, farmers, bandits, goats, bears, sabercats). But I didn't eat wolves - they don't attack when you are a werewolf. Which was a great detail.

I also ran into the jarl of Riften, hoofing it up to Windhelm, protected by a pack of mercenaries. I knew the deposed jarls in the war went there, but it was pretty neat that that they actually have to hoof it there, with armed guards, rather than just show up. (Her guards were tasty.)

My daughter has been tearing it up as a vampire lord, so I was curious to see what werewolves were like by comparison. The vampire lord is really powerful. She's floating around slamming area effect drain life spells, resurrecting corpses, summoning gargoyles. She's using a swarm of bats to feed on guys, when she's not turning into one herself. Just in total command of every battle. And she can toggle into a vampire lord to human and back at will.

The werewolf is a totally different experience. It's more like a rampage, where you are trying to extend the rampage by, well, rampaging. It's violent and fast and messy and nothing at all like being vampire. I thought the perk tree kind of sucked by comparison, but then I played it for a bit and realized they were all in the service of keeping that focused, violent rampage experience intact. Beth did a good job making the two beast forms totally different ways to play.

Volimar

I had some fun with being a werewolf last night and today, and found a couple neat details along the way. I was doing the Imperial quest in the civil war story to regain The Rift, and helped (aka, did all the work) Hadvar take care of the guards around the broken down wagon. Before the battle we had a chat about his promotion, and how he feels about killing. I told him only a beast kills without feeling.

Which was perfect, since the battle for Fort Greenwall was up next. I descended from the hills as a werewolf and attacked the fort from the rear, so as to avoid crashing into my Imperial friends. I stayed up on the walls where I could manage the numbers better and ripped out nearly two dozen Stormcloak hearts. After the battle, I had a small buffet on the fleeing survivors outside of the fort.

Then I went on an extended rampage that lasted for two full day/night cycles, spanning Riften to Windhelm, before looping back and ending outside of Ivarstead. I ate damn near everything on the road (Thalmor, Imperial and Stormcloak soldiers, farmers, bandits, goats, bears, sabercats). But I didn't eat wolves - they don't attack when you are a werewolf. Which was a great detail.

I also ran into the jarl of Riften, hoofing it up to Windhelm, protected by a pack of mercenaries. I knew the deposed jarls in the war went there, but it was pretty neat that that they actually have to hoof it there, with armed guards, rather than just show up. (Her guards were tasty.)

My daughter has been tearing it up as a vampire lord, so I was curious to see what werewolves were like by comparison. The vampire lord is really powerful. She's floating around slamming area effect drain life spells, resurrecting corpses, summoning gargoyles. She's using a swarm of bats to feed on guys, when she's not turning into one herself. Just in total command of every battle. And she can toggle into a vampire lord to human and back at will.

The werewolf is a totally different experience. It's more like a rampage, where you are trying to extend the rampage by, well, rampaging. It's violent and fast and messy and nothing at all like being vampire. I thought the perk tree kind of sucked by comparison, but then I played it for a bit and realized they were all in the service of keeping that focused, violent rampage experience intact. Beth did a good job making the two beast forms totally different ways to play.

I'd be so on board with both of those if they didn't force you to be in third person...

Should've been a Stormcloak, it's much more fun eating Imperials.

But yeah, being a werewolf is great fun. I tried out VL for the first time, heck, being a vampire for the first time ever, on one of my secondary characters, a pure mage, and...

I hate it. Sunlight weakness is infuriating, forcing me into dungeons I don't want to go into just to get out of the light. VL form is clunky, I can't even figure out how to bite, for god's sake. You're just a giant floating target when presented with a group of enemies, whereas a werewolf can shred everything.

Frea's voice acting is kind of terrible. I mean, it might just be the heavy accent thing going on, but I think she's also just kind of bad.

What kind of accent is it supposed to be, BTW? Obviously some kind of Scandinavian, but anyone know which specifically?

GhaleonEB

I'd be so on board with both of those if they didn't force you to be in third person...

This is my biggest issue. 3rd person does break the immersion, and adds a lot of sloppiness to the combat. But I have found it fun enough despite those issues. Still, I'd much rather play first person with 3rd person optional. Every reason that makes 1st person work better as the primary view when not a werewolf applies when you are one. A rather baffling decision there by Bethesda.

Should've been a Stormcloak, it's much more fun eating Imperials.

But yeah, being a werewolf is great fun. I tried out VL for the first time, heck, being a vampire for the first time ever, on one of my secondary characters, a pure mage, and...

I hate it. Sunlight weakness is infuriating, forcing me into dungeons I don't want to go into just to get out of the light. VL form is clunky, I can't even figure out how to bite, for god's sake. You're just a giant floating target when presented with a group of enemies, whereas a werewolf can shred everything.
I haven't been one myself, but Natalie has gotten a good handle on it. She tends to stay out of the fray and lob magic, resurrect dudes, summon gargoyles, etc. It's amazing in the way she appears to totally own each battle, just floating in and orchestrating the chaos, often almost untouched. She does drop down to claw dudes now and then, but she prefers just hanging back and wreaking havoc. Probably because it's so sloppy in 3rd person.

Edit: my daughter just discovered that becoming a werewolf has stripped her of being a vampire lord. That's pretty crappy, we're now debating going back to her last save.

Can you become a vampire lord after having lost it via the Companions?

Edit 2: seems not. Bummer.

GhaleonEB

So, I was checking out the Nexus mod site and curiosity led from one thing to another until... finally... I couldn't resist anymore and did this...

Dragonball Z vs My Little Pony in Skyrim - The Ultimate Showdown

I think I've gone too far.
Once you've gone that far, there's no going back. There's nothing to do but go further.

#####

I've been wondering how much the locations for the Ancient Technology series of quests was driven by the Radiant system. After searching my map for the location of the next schematic, I look it up on UESP.

Turns out Hrodulf's House is on Solstheim, which I have not yet been to. I'd say they're pretty Radiant.
If she's with the Volkihar, she needs to wait until the questline is over and then return to CV, and get Harkon/Serana to bite her again.
Thank you! She'll be thrilled.

Edit: my daughter just discovered that becoming a werewolf has stripped her of being a vampire lord. That's pretty crappy, we're now debating going back to her last save.

Can you become a vampire lord after having lost it via the Companions?

Edit 2: seems not. Bummer.

If she's with the Volkihar, she needs to wait until the questline is over and then return to CV, and get Harkon/Serana to bite her again.

I've been wondering how much the locations for the Ancient Technology series of quests was driven by the Radiant system. After searching my map for the location of the next schematic, I look it up on UESP.

Turns out Hrodulf's House is on Solstheim, which I have not yet been to. I'd say they're pretty Radiant.

Same thing happened to me, got an assignment to kill a vampire in Bloodskal Barrow long before I went to Solstheim.

Welp. My 223 hour bug-free Skyrim PC experience has seemingly come to an end. I would appreciate any help to fix this. In order to complete the main quest line in Dragonborn you have to use dragon souls to unlock the last two words of a shout. The problem is whenever I kill a dragon in Solthstiem, Miraak will steal the soul. No problem, I'll just go back to Skyrim and kill a few dragons there. Nope. When I kill a dragon in Skyrim, their corpses just stay there. There's no sould absorbtion. They don't even turn into skeletons. I read somewhere that if you save right before you kill a dragon and reload it fixes it. Anyone else experience this bug? As it stands right now, I can't complete Dragonborn if there's no fix.

1stStrike

Banned
Welp. My 223 hour bug-free Skyrim PC experience has seemingly come to an end. I would appreciate any help to fix this. In order to complete the main quest line in Dragonborn you have to use dragon souls to unlock the last two words of a shout. The problem is whenever I kill a dragon in Solthstiem, Miraak will steal the soul. No problem, I'll just go back to Skyrim and kill a few dragons there. Nope. When I kill a dragon in Skyrim, their corpses just stay there. There's no sould absorbtion. They don't even turn into skeletons. I read somewhere that if you save right before you kill a dragon and reload it fixes it. Anyone else experience this bug? As it stands right now, I can't complete Dragonborn if there's no fix.

Hrm, he stole two souls from me, but it was honestly never a problem as I have a surplus of dragon souls so I just used those to unlock it (though there were some he didn't steal). I guess if you're on PC you could always just spawn a couple dragons via the console, save, and then kill them until you get both souls. If you're on PS3/360, then sucks to be you.

I did notice the glitchy dragon deaths, though, even without Miraak stealing them. I had one dragon that I killed and its corpse and everything just vanished, so didn't even get the loot =\

Psi

player.modav dragonsouls x

I wouldn't call it a bug, you're probably just fast-travelling around to dragon lairs to find a dragon, correct? After a while those stop giving souls so you don't end up with millions of them.

Miraak stealing the soul every time is weird, though, he shouldn't do that. How many times has he done this?

Miraak stealing the soul every time is weird, though, he shouldn't do that. How many times has he done this?

The last four dragons in a row I believe. Maybe I'm being too premature, and, yeah, I figured out that if you fast travel to dragon spawn sites they won't give you souls. That was an oversight on my part. I'm just going to wander around for a little and see what happens. Maybe I jumped the gun.

"If you're looking for passage to Vvardenfell, you're out of luck. No ships are heading there anymore."

FUCK YOU REDORAN GUARD, I WILL DO AS I PLEASE

GhaleonEB

Really hope Elsweyr is on tap for the next ES game. Seeing what Bethesda did with a wintery mountain landscape this generation has me dreaming big things for what they could do with a desert. That concept art from the ES Online game a while back really flipped a switch in my brain; every time the Khajiit talk about their homeland in Skyrim, I want a quest to pop up and take me there. Mirages. Cities swallowed by the sand. Quicksand and sand monsters. Oh yes.

Edit: here's the concept art. I guess this is Hammerfell, but for some reason I imagined Elsweyr as being similar.

cdyhybrid

Really hope Elsweyr is on tap for the next ES game. Seeing what Bethesda did with a wintery mountain landscape this generation has me dreaming big things for what they could do with a desert. That concept art from the ES Online game a while back really flipped a switch in my brain; every time the Khajiit talk about their homeland in Skyrim, I want a quest to pop up and take me there. Mirages. Cities swallowed by the sand. Quicksand and sand monsters. Oh yes.

Hnnnnggghhhh do want!

Mr.Fresh

So my brother just randomly texted me a Games on Demand code for this and I decided to download it. It's downloading now. Any tips? Only WRPG I finished was Mass Effect and that's kind of a hybrid.

1stStrike

Banned
So my brother just randomly texted me a Games on Demand code for this and I decided to download it. It's downloading now. Any tips? Only WRPG I finished was Mass Effect and that's kind of a hybrid.

Umm... expect to be confused and most likely lost for a good while until you figure things out. Also, try and have some patience with the game. Expect to die fairly often to start off with if you're not used to Elder Scrolls combat.

Skyrim is a fun / gorgeous game and you can easily sink hundreds of hours into it, especially with the right mods (PC only), but it does take some acclimating (especially for someone that's never played a real WRPG).

I recommend just following the main storyline for the first few hours, at least. Once you get some of that done and you pass a certain point involving a dragon, you should be okay to do whatever you want.

Mr.Fresh

Umm... expect to be confused and most likely lost for a good while until you figure things out. Also, try and have some patience with the game. Expect to die fairly often to start off with if you're not used to Elder Scrolls combat.

Skyrim is a fun / gorgeous game and you can easily sink hundreds of hours into it, especially with the right mods (PC only), but it does take some acclimating (especially for someone that's never played a real WRPG).

I recommend just following the main storyline for the first few hours, at least. Once you get some of that done and you pass a certain point involving a dragon, you should be okay to do whatever you want.

Yea I heard its great (Everybody and their mother had it at my old job.) and that it's easy to forget about time with it. But that's as far as I know. Oh I finished Deus ex too if that counts. But yea is there a class better for beginners or is everything just up to my preference?

1stStrike

Banned
Yea I heard its great (Everybody and their mother had it at my old job.) and that it's easy to forget about time with it. But that's as far as I know. Oh I finished Deus ex too if that counts. But yea is there a class better for beginners or is everything just up to my preference?

Here's the thing about Elder Scrolls in comparison to Deus Ex and Mass Effect (and similar games) - From the moment the intro is over you can go anywhere and do anything in this huge fucking world with hundreds of quests. Deus Ex and Mass Effect are far more linear in comparison.

As far as classes, there are none. You have different races you can choose from, each with a racial ability that can be useful depending on where you want to focus. I'd say pick a general area you want to focus on - 2 handers, dual wielding, bow and arrow, magick, stealth, etc. and then build your character around that. You level up different skill trees for each character that makes you better at those things.

For example, I have a stealthy mage that uses destruction magic, bow and arrow, daggers and occasionally I change to a 2 handed weapon for the fun of it. You can pretty much build whatever you want, just know that there's always going to be something your character isn't as good at.

If you want to ease your way in, I'd recommend a high HP/armor build with some healing magic and a shield and 1 handed sword to start with. That way it's more forgiving if you take a hit. As a mage I often get 1 or 2 shotted if I'm not careful.

There are no classes, the game just levels up what you use the most, so if you do a lot of damage and kill a lot of people with a bow, you'll have a high bow level, if you make potions a lot you'll have a high alchemy skill etc.

That being said, I would say the easiest class to start off would just be a generic one-handed character with a healing spell or shield in the left hand. It provides quite a bit of survivability. Archery and Sneak is also very good, but that's after a certain level once you pick up some perks.

I'd recommend just fighting however you like (including not fighting if that's you're thing ;p) and leveling that up instead of forcing yourself in to a certain mold because that's someone said the "best build" was.

Play however you want. The important thing to remember about Skyrim is just about every build is OP if you stick with it and specialize, placing your perks into around 4-6 trees.

Stick with the main quest up until you beat Dragon Rising, then wander off and do what appeals to you.

Mr.Fresh

Damn! This game sounds amazing! I'm gonna start this bad boy on Thursday and I have all next week off its gonna be great. I'm surprised I never got into these type of games. That's for the info! I'm gonna be coming back to read these when I start playing and ill be posting some of my progress in here as well.

Edit: Friday forgot about valentines day .

GhaleonEB

Damn! This game sounds amazing! I'm gonna start this bad boy on Thursday and I have all next week off its gonna be great. I'm surprised I never got into these type of games. That's for the info! I'm gonna be coming back to read these when I start playing and ill be posting some of my progress in here as well.

Edit: Friday forgot about valentines day .

A couple other tips.

There are a lot of systems in the game, for things like leveling and crafting and questing and what not. There is a Help menu in the game that is actually helpful. Go there and it's a giant list of a ton of topics, which briefly explain how each one works. Since you're new to ES games it will help a lot. It took me a crazy long time in Oblivion (my first ES game) to figure some of the stuff out, but Skyrim has a good set of in-game tutorials and the Help menu.

And as others said - play the way you want. If you want be a sneaky archer, sneak a lot and use bows and arrows. Before long you'll be a stealthy badass one-shotting guys from range to slo-mo kill cams, and sneaking up on dudes and throat cutting left and right. Want to do the sword and shield warrior thing? Use a sword and shield, and before long you'll be lopping heads off and bashing with your shield so hard it becomes a second weapon.

Don't be a afraid to experiment and see what you like - that's basically the idea behind the entire game - but try to save the perks you use for skills you've settled on.

And my biggest piece of advice: resist the urge to fast travel, at least for a long while. Fast traveling is going to the world map, picking a location (you have to have visited it first), and just traveling there. An enormous part of what makes Skyrim so good is the game world itself, and the things that happen as you travel from place to place. Many of Skyrim's pleasures are in the journey, as much as the destination. Don't skip the journey.

The game can really feel like a grand adventure, and just hopping from quest to quest and skipping out on all that will make it start to feel like virtual connect the dots, dashing from quest to quest. Just spend some time in the world, explore, soak it in, and you'll find stuff you want to do and enjoy. At least, I hope so. :)

1stStrike

Banned
I felt that Dragonborn was worth full price. While Dawnguard was so-so on new content, Dragonborn was a completely new area with all new stuff, and there's a lot of content there. I don't think anyone should really feel upset for paying full price for it.

dubq

I felt that Dragonborn was worth full price. While Dawnguard was so-so on new content, Dragonborn was a completely new area with all new stuff, and there's a lot of content there. I don't think anyone should really feel upset for paying full price for it.

Well, DG had that entire plane of Oblivion.. but it definitely wasn't as big as all of DB. If anything the pricepoint for DG should've been $15 or lower.

1stStrike

Banned
Well, DG had that entire plane of Oblivion.. but it definitely wasn't as big as all of DB. If anything the pricepoint for DG should've been $15 or lower.

Don't get me wrong, I liked the Soul Cairn and the new with the giant ice lake at the end of Dawnguard, but yeah, there was so much backtracking to already existing content before that point in the DLC that it was not really worth $20.

dubq

Don't get me wrong, I liked the Soul Cairn and the new with the giant ice lake at the end of Dawnguard, but yeah, there was so much backtracking to already existing content before that point in the DLC that it was not really worth $20.

Yeah totally agree. I liked Dawnguard but the price was a bit high, IMO.

Rumor has it that the next DLC is named "Redguard" - hopefully that will take us out of province as well. ;)

Top Bottom