• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls V: Dragonborn |OT| Did you think you were the only one?

Tawpgun

Once you get the zoom in, slow time and stagger perks, archery hits god-tier.

Have you ever played a character with archery/sneak as their primary? It feels amazing once you learn to start leading shots, and anticipate the firing arc. The kill cams are cherries on top. On many occasions I've nailed guys that were actually out of sight by using the arc to the arrow, firing a shot just up and over the lip of a wall. I loved it so much my first three characters were archers. :lol

This sounds amazing.

Fuck my sword then.

cory021

Neo Member
What kind of character would be best to experience Solstheim with? I'm thinking of creating a Dark Elf spellsword who dual wields an axe and lightning magic, maybe wearing light armor. Any suggestions from experienced Solstheim adventurers?

789shadow

Banned
Once you get the zoom in, slow time and stagger perks, archery hits god-tier.

Have you ever played a character with archery/sneak as their primary? It feels amazing once you learn to start leading shots, and anticipate the firing arc. The kill cams are cherries on top. On many occasions I've nailed guys that were actually out of sight by using the arc to the arrow, firing a shot just up and over the lip of a wall. I loved it so much my first three characters were archers. :lol
You know what I love? When you loose an arrow, the killcam starts, and it thunks into the rope in front of you.

Volimar

You know what I love? When you loose an arrow, the killcam starts, and it thunks into the rope in front of you.

The kill cam starts and you get to watch the troll walk out of the path of the arrow in stunning slow mo...

What kind of character would be best to experience Solstheim with? I'm thinking of creating a Dark Elf spellsword who dual wields an axe and lightning magic, maybe wearing light armor. Any suggestions from experienced Solstheim adventurers?

I haven't had any good feelings using magic in Solstheim, but ymmv. I really like how stahlrim armor looks. Also carved nordic armor...

789shadow

Banned
The kill cam starts and you get to watch the troll walk out of the path of the arrow in stunning slow mo...
The Steady Aim perks really let you see how the game cheats, as you can watch in slow motion as the enemy just *boop* slides out of the way of your arrow at light speed.

So I bought the Dragonborn DLC on Steam the first night it was available to purchase, but should I be able to see it anywhere in Steam prior to release? I don't think it pre-downloaded or anything.

Basically, my question is, what is going to happen on Tuesday?

GhaleonEB

Yeah. You also get to discover how often the physical geometry doesn't line up with visual modeling. Line up a perfect shot....*thunk* the arrow sticks to open air in front of you.

Still, archery and stealth go together like sword and board, for me at least. The 3x from sneak and the satisfaction of stirring up a hornets nest from afar, and then whittling down the hornets before they even get to you. So good.

God, Dawnguard sucks just for these fucking Vampire attacks.

I've never had any problem with them. Heck, the way they became more frequent as I'm progressing through the Dawnguard questline is pretty awesome, like these vampires are hunting me down. I just got ambushed by a few of them hiding behind the western watchtower, in a cool little mirror image of the first dragon attack.

Sure, people can get killed, but for me, it's almost never been someone important. I lost a few Bard's College members in Solitude a while back, but that's their own damn fault for not running and hiding.

GhaleonEB

I've never had any problem with them. Heck, the way they became more frequent as I'm progressing through the Dawnguard questline is pretty awesome, like these vampires are hunting me down. I just got ambushed by a few of them hiding behind the western watchtower, in a cool little mirror image of the first dragon attack.

Sure, people can get killed, but for me, it's almost never been someone important. I lost a few Bard's College members in Solitude a while back, but that's their own damn fault for not running and hiding.

Same. And the escalating attacks actually addresses one of the issues I had with both the main Skyrim quest, and Dragonborn's: the threat each antagonist presented to the world was kept conceptual, rather than actual. The gradually escalating attacks make it feel like there's something at stake as things move along.

Somehow, I only just now noticed that
the mage in the Blue Palace has glowing red eyes. Did she always have them? Explains her temperament.

789shadow

Banned
It makes it a chore to start a new character, as you can't fast travel inside of cities anymore, because the vampires are always there, and they always kill all the fucking shopkeepers who are there at the entrance for no reason other than to die and make me angry.

Stop killing NPC's Bethesda. Only I get to do that.

Atruvius

It makes it a chore to start a new character, as you can't fast travel inside of cities anymore, because the vampires are always there, and they always kill all the fucking shopkeepers who are there at the entrance for no reason other than to die and make me angry.

If you are on PC there's a mod that makes people flee during vampire attacks. It's pretty helpful.
http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/mods/28235

Volimar

God, Dawnguard sucks just for these fucking Vampire attacks.

Yeah it's annoying but it makes so much sense from a roleplaying perspective. My character knows he's hunted so he stays out of the cities at night. Sleeps in the stables and waits till daylight to enter town.

So you're saying it's Bethesda's way of discouraging Fast Travel. Can't disagree with their intentions.

the mage in the Blue Palace has glowing red eyes. Did she always have them? Explains her temperament.

Every vampire in the game gets red eyes after Dawnguard is installed.
Before the plugin she still subtly informs you she's a vampire like she does afterwards, but now you get the glowing red eyes as a giveaway. Try visiting Half-Moon Mill in Falkreath Hold while you're at it.

Volimar

Before the plugin she still subtly informs you she's a vampire like she does afterwards, but now you get the glowing red eyes as a giveaway. Try visiting Half-Moon Mill in Falkreath Hold while you're at it.

So is being a vampire suppose to be less stigmatized? Or are we to believe everyone is too oblivious to notice glowing eyes.

"Well she's a mage. Mages are weird."

So is being a vampire suppose to be less stigmatized? Or are we to believe everyone is too oblivious to notice glowing eyes.

"Well she's a mage. Mages are weird."

I suppose not many people in Skyrim know what a vampire looks like. That, and it's probably a public secret anyway, kinda like the count of Skingrad in Oblivion. He had been count for over a 100 years, and nobody really did anything about it.

I've never had any problem with them.
You're lucky. They are an absolute plague for me. Seems I can't turn around without "YOUR BLOOD IS MINE!". I've had them in every hold, every city; once they wiped out two-thirds of Riften.
Same. And the escalating attacks actually addresses one of the issues I had with both the main Skyrim quest, and Dragonborn's: the threat each antagonist presented to the world was kept conceptual, rather than actual. The gradually escalating attacks make it feel like there's something at stake as things move along.

Before Dawnguard came out, there was an open question as to whether Sybille Stentor was a vampire. It was a nebulous rumor, floating around the Blue Palace. Now, there's no doubt.

GhaleonEB

So you're saying it's Bethesda's way of discouraging Fast Travel. Can't disagree with their intentions.
Well played.

Yeah, I discovered that when I visited the mill on my last character, working the Dark Brotherhood. I might build a house down there and will need the lumber, so I'm looking the other way, for now.

I've started encountering
Vampire Assassins
which are pretty great. I love the note they leave behind;
they're basically just pointers to a normal dungeon, but it makes them feel like they have more of a purpose now. Working on my second revenge quest now. Nice detail in that the notes are sealed, as well.

Travelers
are fun to spot as well.

I only just now looked at the new achievements for Dawnguard. Looks like this character will be a werewolf, to knock those off, as my next will be a vampire lord. Already working on that questline now, which works out well considering how much content I'll need to consume to get to level 78. I think this whole training on every level will work out well, though it's a very cash-hungry strategy (which is another good reason to do lots of quest lines). Destruction is over 60 now and I've never cast a Destruction spell. :lol

Volimar

Grrrr. My final fight with Miraak is bugged. He goes ethereal and stays that way forever. None of the fixes listed on uesp seem to work, and reloading doesn't either. I don't have a recent save so it looks like I might be stuck.

GRRRRR!

Juice

Pre bought dragon born while it was 20% off on GMG.

I had no idea this DLC was already out for Xbox. I'm grateful if only because it encouraged me to finally beat Dawnguard tonight, which I did.

Really hope dragon born is good

Have any of you guys bought a physical/boxed copy of the Skyrim expansions, or have you just downloaded them from Steam etc?
I cant find physical copies of the expansions, here in Aus and I hate the idea of only having a virtual copy. If I get a new computer, then I have to re-download everything again.
Im mad :(

GhaleonEB

Have any of you guys bought a physical/boxed copy of the Skyrim expansions, or have you just downloaded them from Steam etc?
I cant find physical copies of the expansions, here in Aus and I hate the idea of only having a virtual copy. If I get a new computer, then I have to re-download everything again.

A physical (disc) copy with the expansions has not been released. After the next (and probably last) add-on, we'll likely see a GOTY edition with all of the DLC included. Probably n the summer time frame.

A physical (disc) copy with the expansions has not been released. After the next (and probably last) add-on, we'll likely see a GOTY edition with all of the DLC included. Probably n the summer time frame.

I did see (what I think) is a physical copy of Dawnguard on Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00ANPEERC/?tag=neogaf0e-20

I dont have a credit card, but it seems like I need one to obtain any Skyrim expansions (legitimately).

Volimar

Went to check out my bug at the official forums. I'm not alone in my problem of course. It may be caused by downloading the dlc before getting the update. People say to go back to a save from before you started the dlc, uninstall the dlc and clear your cache and it would work. But Jesus that's a lot of time to lose, and I don't have a save of my current character back before I got to Solstheim. God dammit Bethesda. There's a few other possible fixes to try, but I'm not optimistic.

Couldn't you just copy/paste the dlc to a flash drive or something?

Went to check out my bug at the official forums. I'm not alone in my problem of course. It may be caused by downloading the dlc before getting the update. People say to go back to a save from before you started the dlc, uninstall the dlc and clear your cache and it would work. But Jesus that's a lot of time to lose, and I don't have a save of my current character back before I got to Solstheim. God dammit Bethesda. There's a few other possible fixes to try, but I'm not optimistic.
I have a different bug. I open the book to teleport me to the last battle, but it does nothing. It's caused by the same thing though, and now I've lost all that progress...

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the fix I saw didn't need you to have a save before starting the DLC. You just had to travel back to Skyrim and then delete the dlc, etc. Still lost all your dlc items and progress.

GhaleonEB

I just rescued what's his face from Silent Moons Camp for the Companions quest line. Now Vilkas is following me around town with his sword drawn, desperate to make conversation. Any time he gets near me my perspective is forced to turn around to look at him, as if it's some urgent quest dialogue. But he just wants to chat.

If he follows me outside I'm going to throw him off a mountain.

Edit: I just tried waiting in town until the shops open. I'm told I cannot wait while I'm being pursued by guards. Then Vilkas runs up to chat again. I want to kill him.

Edit2: I threw him down the stairs leading to the lower district, but he was still chatty. I beat the hell out of him with my Nordic axe. While I did so he interrupted to chat four or five times. But after I depleted his health bar he fell to his knees and I could wait for shops to open. Then he left to go back to the mead hall. Seems I knocked some sense into him. Leveled one-handed up to boot. At least he's good for something.

If you really want the expansions on a disc, I'd just wait until the Game of the Year edition comes out.

Usually I wouldnt have the patience to wait, but because Im so overwhelmed by quests in the regular game at the moment, I might.
Flying around on a dragon sounds awesome though. Thats my main reason for wanting Dragonborn.
I wanna play Dawnguard too, but I dont wanna be a Were or Vamp permanently either.

Couldn't you just copy/paste the dlc to a flash drive or something?

I could try but Im not sure I have the know-how to get all those DLC files (that would be installed via a stream of some sort, I assume) into a tidy folder and onto a flash.

GhaleonEB

Usually I wouldnt have the patience to wait, but because Im so overwhelmed by quests in the regular game at the moment, I might.

Flying around on a dragon sounds awesome though. Thats my main reason for wanting Dragonborn.

I wanna play Dawnguard too, but I dont wanna be a Were or Vamp permanently either.
It will surely be improved with mods, very quickly, on PC. But dragon riding sucks big time in vanilla Dragonborn. Just want you to calibrate expectations accordingly, the design of it was clearly shackled by the hardware limitations on 360/PS3. You don't even control the dragon - he flies a loop in a small area, you can cycle targets you tell him to attack, tell him to land, and tell him to fast travel. And....that's it.

Dragonborn is an awesome expansion, but dragon riding is a lowlight.

It will surely be improved with mods, very quickly, on PC. But dragon riding sucks big time in vanilla Dragonborn. Just want you to calibrate expectations accordingly, the design of it was clearly shackled by the hardware limitations on 360/PS3. You don't even control the dragon - he flies a loop in a small area, you can cycle targets you tell him to attack, tell him to land, and tell him to fast travel. And....that's it.

Dragonborn is an awesome expansion, but dragon riding is a lowlight.

Ah. Interesting. Im glad Im playing on PC then (even if it is just on a GT 520).
I saw a mod today which allows players to fly around on a broomstick in regular Skyrim .lol
The version is only .40 IIRC, so I gonna wait for them to work out the kinks before I download it.

Im starting my second character now. My "evil" character.
Female Redguard. My plan is to hit them at range with the bow and arrow and then pull out my 2H sword when they get in close.
My paragon character was a female Nord using the sword and shield with alot of throat slitting/stealth kills. I actually enjoyed the combat more than I thought I would. Though, it can turn into a bit of a mash-fest if Ive got 2 or more enemies attacking me at once (on Master difficulty).
I wanna play my new character as differently as I can, but I heard magic is underwhelming offensively (namely Destruction) and even a bit dull when it does work well, so I think I'll stick with a warrior type. Dual-wielding seems a bit too "mashy" for me as well. I think I'll need to be able to block on higher diff's, so a 2-handed weapon seems good. Hammer and axe arent feminine enough, so 2-handed sword looks the go.

kidko

oh man can't wait to get off work. Probably gonna sneak out early and pick up some snacks n beer on the way home

<mybodyisready.gif>

Kurdel

Banned
Does the Dragonborn DLC use the HD textures? I tried turning them on and off, and i doesn't change anything, because everything looks so bad and muddy. I have only 2 mods intakled (water and flora), and they seemed to work...

I deleted the HD texture pack and I am redownloading it, fingers crossed!

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Dragonborn now downloading on steam! Oh how I have waited this day :D

Hopefully my mods won't conflict :|

lol they will.

GMG is sold out of Dragonborn. Wow.

I would get it with 20% off instead of waiting for the steam sale, but I'm sure this is going to fuck up a few mods.

Fiddled around with it for a few minutes (ended up being an hour) as a study break.

Didn't run into any clashes with any of my mods in that period.

Looking forward to being able to sink some time into it. Hopefully I'll find some soon.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Does the Dragonborn DLC use the HD textures? I tried turning them on and off, and i doesn't change anything, because everything looks so bad and muddy. I have only 2 mods intakled (water and flora), and they seemed to work...

It only uses HD textures where original Skyrim assets are used that have them. All the new textures are straight console ports and low-res.

Dawnguard has the same problem, but it reuses a lot more assets than Dragonborn so it's not as glaring.

I did see (what I think) is a physical copy of Dawnguard on Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00ANPEERC/?tag=neogaf0e-20

I dont have a credit card, but it seems like I need one to obtain any Skyrim expansions (legitimately).

I found physical copies of Dawnguard for sale a couple of days ago, but the boxes clearly state they only contain a Steam download-code.

9rSV3iol.jpg

It only uses HD textures where original Skyrim assets are used that have them. All the new textures are straight console ports and low-res.

Dawnguard has the same problem, but it reuses a lot more assets than Dragonborn so it's not as glaring.

Is the High Res Texture Pack 2 new or something that was included previously?

Slermy

I have some serious beefs with the story of the main quest, but that's for another day, I wand to see how it plays out first before I critique it too hard.

I'll be curious to see what you think once you complete it, the last half is vastly more interesting and better paced in my opinion.

I wanna play my new character as differently as I can, but I heard magic is underwhelming offensively (namely Destruction) and even a bit dull when it does work well, so I think I'll stick with a warrior type.

I think the people that believe magic is underwhelming, are going with a pure offensive Destruction setup. Start playing around with Illusion and Conjuration, Alteration, or even Runes, and magic become a lot more interesting. So many different options to handle different encounters, moreso when you find some of the more obscure spells
"Conjure Flaming Familiar"
from the base game, or
the assorted new Runes found at Tel Mythrin
on Solstheim.

GhaleonEB

I'll be curious to see what you think once you complete it, the last half is vastly more interesting and better paced in my opinion.
I'll be pushing it a bit further ahead tonight. I've been working on a lot of quest lines in tandem, but tonight I'll focus a bit on Dawnguard's main quest. I've done quite a few side quests working on the crossbow components and killing other vampires.

Right now
I'm meeting the female vampire - forgot her name, Serena? - at the castle to look for her mother.

My main issue was how
she just waltzes into the Dawnguard fort after it's been well established how much everyone there hates vampires. I saw bit of the quest from my daughter's game - she's a vampire lord - and decided I wanted nothing to do with her. I wanted to kill her. So I was baffled and disappointed that she just shows up in the fort and given free reign to roam. We're vampire hunters! The only good vampire is a dead one.
I'm giving them the benefit of the doubt for now, but I just hate the idea of being a vampire hunter that is
helping/being helped by a freaking vampire.
It screams that Bethesda didn't differentiate the two sides of the questline enough. At least it's not a carbon copy like the Civil War. :\

Kurdel

Banned
Wow the fact the DLC only has the lower res textures makes me regret giving this developper full price for this product.

I mean, why even bother with HD textures if it will be half assed and make your fresh content look like it was the actual textures from Morrowind?

I will still play this, but I am dissapointed.

Wow the fact the DLC only has the lower res textures makes me regret giving this developper full price for this product.

I mean, why even bother with HD textures if it will be half assed and make your fresh content look like it was the actual textures from Morrowind?

I will still play this, but I am dissapointed.

We aren't entitled to the higher resolution textures that they released for free months after the PC launch?

But yeah, hopefully they'll patch them in, but given we haven't seen them for Dawnguard yet...

Top Bottom