• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim |OT| Het Kos Dovahhe

Status
Not open for further replies.

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
Just break the street date Bethesda. If something goes wrong you get to fix it during the week rather than next weekend, and such.

*cartman freeze pic*

AlimNassor said:
I hope the Falmer are in the game and we get to see what truly happened to them.

The Falmer are indeed in the game (and have some really cool looking armour and weapons), but I have yet to find any NPC or text that can further elaborate on the Falmer

Bootaaay said:
The Falmer are indeed in the game (and have some really cool looking armour and weapons), but I have yet to find any NPC or text that can further elaborate on the Falmer

Lame if true. I was hoping Bethesda wouldn't just place them and would give them some relevance. I've been looking forward to hearing about them.

Owzers

sdornan said:
If that's true and the whole game on the 360 is actually 3.8GB, then what I don't understand is why the PS3 install size is so much larger.

Is the ps3 version supposed to have better textures? Uncompressed audio?

Made some tiny adjustments to the OP: I added in a "Patches"-section and changed the term "premium cloth map" to just "premium map".

CyReN

Here some pictures (click to make bigger), I'll be back later, I have a previous engagement then I'm off to play!

Zeliard said:
Dunmer's characteristic high fire resistance should come particularly in handy in Skyrim, with the dragons and such.
There's also the Frost Dragons, and apparently something called "World Dragons", too.

CyReN said:

Wallach

Zeliard said:
Dunmer's characteristic high fire resistance should come particularly in handy in Skyrim, with the dragons and such.

Some of them at least. It's a substantial amount of resist, which is nice.

I'm still curious if Breton Dragonskin will absorb dragon magic.

Edit - That map is cool. It's more of an in-game representation; you can see some locations just mysteriously marked with "X", neat touch.

Drazgul

Zeliard said:

Orcs get that (all damage halved) AND do double damage with their greater power (which will be even more insane if it works with spells/dragon shouts), I'd say they're the winners here. :p

cluto

CyReN said:
Not really cloth at all, just canvas paper. I'm not complaining it looks good imo and doesn't feel cheap.
Yeah, I'm happy it's paper because it will look great framed next to my Oblivion map (which is also paper).

Pollux

MrBig said:
Art direction and design are two different things.
The game looks great, but the IQ, polycount, and texture variety is on par with games from 5 years ago.
Those resources are used for building a larger environment with huge draw distances rather than a densely populated and detailed area.
i.e. the game focuses on macro detail rather than micro, much, in fact, like a painting does.
The Daedric Armor looks GLORIOUS

6286610172_43501c4c39.jpg

Unicorn

zmoney said:
The Daedric Armor looks GLORIOUS

6286610172_43501c4c39.jpg
Dear Lord.

Morrowind Armor looked cool, then Oblivion's sucked. So glad to see good looking armor again. Here's hoping glass armor is more stained glass and less fruit bowl.

Unicorn

EviLore said:
See, I recently spent a whole day (around 9 hours) modding Oblivion trying to get it looking spiffy and up to date, but just ended up with a game with invisible clothing and giant yellow triangles everywhere. Fucking felt like a wasted day.

I did the same with Morrowind and got better results, but still had yellow triangles for missing models or w/e it means. Sucks that modding is such a mess when you have to juggle 100+ downloads and folder replacements. Perhaps I just need to find someone that can throw their folder online and I can just download their hard work and replace my folders.

Zeliard

Most mods should tell you what they are and aren't compatible with. You have to make sure you're not putting some conflicting mods in there.

Esch

Banned
I really wish Bethesda would put in some Aedric light and heavy armor as final equipment in their games. Same goes for weapons.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Unicorn said:
See, I recently spent a whole day (around 9 hours) modding Oblivion trying to get it looking spiffy and up to date, but just ended up with a game with invisible clothing and giant yellow triangles everywhere. Fucking felt like a wasted day.

I did the same with Morrowind and got better results, but still had yellow triangles for missing models or w/e it means. Sucks that modding is such a mess when you have to juggle 100+ downloads and folder replacements. Perhaps I just need to find someone that can throw their folder online and I can just download their hard work and replace my folders.

Yeah it's unfortunate that the mod community is so aggressive when it comes to prepackaged configurations done without the express permission, because it creates a barrier to entry and a lot more individual troubleshooting, instead of someone doing all the work and then everyone being able to benefit from a functional config.

Arment

Zeliard said:
Most mods should tell you what they are and aren't compatible with. You have to make sure you're not putting some conflicting mods in there.

Load order (in obmm) is important too. Learned that the hard way.

Unicorn

EviLore said:
FCOM isn't worth the effort last i tried. OOO is much more stable and straightforward to install, and is feature-complete and internally consistent rather than being a third party attempt to reconcile several overlapping overhauls.
Yeah, well at this point in time I feel like overhauls in general aren't worth the effort.

Vanilla Morrowind kept me satisfied for a good 2 years. Skyrim should be the same and after I do a vanilla playthrough perhaps I'll just get a couple mods to correct things in the game that I don't like. Like the psychic guard fix in Oblivion. Going much further than that just proves to be a huge headache for me.

Funny thing though, FO3 modding resulted in no problems and was actually pretty easy, making my game look and play better in the process. THAT was a nice reward for hours of downloading and folder swapping.

95% in this months Atomic magazine.

*Ahem* of the review can be found on certain sites.

A quote from the end of the review,

"Ultimately, Skyrim is a lot like Fallout New Vegas - there are some flaws but they pale into insignificance compared to the sheer scope of the game. Despite the many, many hours we put in, it felt like we barely scratched the surface at times, and our quest log was always full. It's a beautiful sprawling world that's incredibly fun to be in, and the gameplay lets you make the most out of it.

It's a fantastic game in its own right, but also manages to be a very worthy addition to the Elders Scroll family. A must play."

Mordeccai

Would anybody recommend the books in the OP? I'm actually between books right now and am considering picking those two up to increase hype levels for the game.

Additionally, Oblivion had an OST, right? Even Morrowinds would do. Need to buy one of those somewheres.

Zeliard

Unicorn said:
I followed this, or tried to, but I felt like at the end of it that I had just gotten trolled.

http://www.somethingfornobody.com/2011/oblivion-modding-guide/

The info seems solid enough though as EviLore mentioned, it's much better to use something more basic and functional like OOO.

It definitely can get tricky especially as you keep adding in more mods. The best way to do it is to just start with a couple and work your way up from there, adding one or two mods at a time so you can more easily troubleshoot which one is affecting the rest.

Arment said:
Load order (in obmm) is important too. Learned that the hard way.

And this too. Readmes of the more competent mods should tell you where in the order it's best to put them in, as well as other mods they may be incompatible with or require some sort of additional step for.

Dennis

Banned
Speedymanic said:
95% in this months Atomic magazine.

*Ahem* of the review can be found on certain sites.

A quote from the end of the review,

"Ultimately, Skyrim is a lot like Fallout New Vegas - there are some flaws but they pale into insignificance compared to the sheer scope of the game. Despite the many, many hours we put in, it felt like we barely scratched the surface at times, and our quest log was always full. It's a beautiful sprawling world that's incredibly fun to be in, and the gameplay lets you make the most out of it.

It's a fantastic game in its own right, but also manages to be a very worthy addition to the Elders Scroll family. A must play."
There is your money quote.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom