• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim |OT2| Team Edward's Revenge

LogicStep

So I just started playing this and I'm trying to get the feel of what I want to do. Would an Archer/Mage work well? Those two things are what interest me the most. Game is gorgeous.

GhaleonEB

So I just started playing this and I'm trying to get the feel of what I want to do. Would an Archer/Mage work well? Those two things are what interest me the most. Game is gorgeous.

Yup, that's a valid pairing. Though you may find yourself pushed toward archery more and more, as it's hugely powerful and will pull ahead of your destruction magic. Coupling it with Conjuration for side kicks and summoned weapons for close quarters fighting is fun as well.

My favorite combination was archery paired with Illusion (for calm/fear/frenzy spells). Really fun to toy with guys, turn them against each other, etc.

LogicStep

Yup, that's a valid pairing. Though you may find yourself pushed toward archery more and more, as it's hugely powerful and will pull ahead of your destruction magic. Coupling it with Conjuration for side kicks and summoned weapons for close quarters fighting is fun as well.

My favorite combination was archery paired with Illusion (for calm/fear/frenzy spells). Really fun to toy with guys, turn them against each other, etc.

Cool, thanks!

Quick question, is there a way to reset my skill points?

Also, is there a way to fast switch between weapons? Say, from my bow to my spells without having to go into the menu and equip them?

Cool, thanks!

Quick question, is there a way to reset my skill points?

Also, is there a way to fast switch between weapons? Say, from my bow to my spells without having to go into the menu and equip them?

Nope, sadly you can not reset any skill points. Hoping that Bethesda will allow that in the DLC.

If you're playing on a console, you can switch between weapons/spells by assigning them to the left and right d-pad.

MrBig

What about PC?

I'm on a PC using a 360 controller, but I believe it's the same process for a keyboard. Put whatever you want to hotkey into the favorites menu, and then from the favorites menu hold down on a 1-9 key on the item you want to hotkey.

OG Kush

What about PC? nvm got it, with favorites

On PC you can reset skill points. Pretty sure theres youtube videos out there. I play in 360 so I dont know all the details bit I for sure remember reading on GAF that you could reassingn skill points ON PC

LogicStep

I see, thanks, I will look that up. Another question, would archery go better with Sneak? I kinda see that having two main offensive things might not be too good. I mean, archery and destruction would be cool but having to switch between them seems like a hassle and if I'm going to concentrate more on archery, might want to go for something that supplements it? Any suggestions?

I see, thanks, I will look that up. Another question, would archery go better with Sneak? I kinda see that having two main offensive things might not be too good. I mean, archery and destruction would be cool but having to switch between them seems like a hassle and if I'm going to concentrate more on archery, might want to go for something that supplements it? Any suggestions?

Archery with sneak is godly. You can pretty much wipe out a whole army of bad guys standing next to each other without being detected.

1stStrike

Banned
I got annoyed and turned the difficulty down a notch. Now my interest in the game is flubbering a little.

In the
last companion quest
The
ghost guys
were taking 3/4ths of my 300 health in 1 or 2 hits. I've about a 240 armor rating with light armor. Maybe a little low since my light armor skill is only 40-50'ish at level 29, but blargh.

Also, snow bears are more deadly than dragons, ancient vampires, and the like.

Double fireball makes short work of them. And, well, everything else in the game. I've been thinking about trying out one of the magic balancing mods to make magic more normal. It's kind of easy mode right now when I can just stun lock everything with my magic.

GhaleonEB

It's as natural a pairing as a sword and shield. There's even an archery perk on the sneak perk tree. They go together perfectly. Playing a pure archer/sneak thief was so good.

shiroryu

It's as natural a pairing as a sword and shield. There's even an archery perk on the sneak perk tree. They go together perfectly. Playing a pure archer/sneak thief was so good.

Torn between going for an archer/sneak/poison Bosmer and a brutish mead-drinking warrior Nord for my next. Getting that new character itch and my Breton mage is still a ways to go.

GhaleonEB

Torn between going for an archer/sneak/poison Bosmer and a brutish mead-drinking warrior Nord for my next. Getting that new character itch and my Breton mage is still a ways to go.

I found that creating specific character builds for certain quest lines worked out very well. I played an archer/sneak/poison character for the Dark Brotherhood and Thieves Guild, and then a booze swigging, face-smashing Orc with a mace and shield for the Companions and Daedric quests.

1stStrike

Banned
I found that creating specific character builds for certain quest lines worked out very well. I played an archer/sneak/poison character for the Dark Brotherhood and Thieves Guild, and then a booze swigging, face-smashing Orc with a mace and shield for the Companions and Daedric quests.

With just a change of equipment and a couple points on the thief side of things (sneak/lock picking), you can adapt quite well without really needing to make a new character from what I've seen. Sure, there's a bunch of other perks you'll get if you make a specific character build, but I was able to sneak around just fine with my mage, pick locks, open chests, and the bow + poison combo was still pretty effective (I didn't always kill on the first shot, so would need to switch back to magic to finish 'em off).

That being said, I do want to create a new character. I just wish that there was a spell in this game that allowed you to open locks with magic like in Oblivion. I miss my magic vampire thief that could open locks with magic and see in the dark :|

OG Kush

Im level 39, and about 50 hours in and still feel I've done hardly anything. Only 5 main quests, and hardly any of the guild stuff. I've just been doing random misc and side mission stuff, explorring dungeons. I'm wondering that when I finally get to all the "meat" in this game, will it be too hard because of the level scaling system? Also wondering if I shoud save certain guilds for different chracters but I don't know if I should even consider that... I'd suck out all my free time.

shiroryu

Im level 39, and about 50 hours in and still feel I've done hardly anything. Only 5 main quests, and hardly any of the guild stuff. I've just been doing random misc and side mission stuff, explorring dungeons. I'm wondering that when I finally get to all the "meat" in this game, will it be too hard because of the level scaling system? Also wondering if I shoud save certain guilds for different chracters but I don't know if I should even consider that... I'd suck out all my free time.

As long as you've focused on some combat/magic skills, Level 39 means you're pretty much overpowered for any but the strongest enemies in the game, main quest or otherwise. It's when you've gotten there without improving combat skills that you need to worry.

I stopped playing after doing the major quest chains (main, dark brotherhood, civil war and so on..l.). I think i'll start playing when they release a major expansion, and then start over.

OG Kush

As long as you've focused on some combat/magic skills, Level 39 means you're pretty much overpowered for any but the strongest enemies in the game, main quest or otherwise. It's when you've gotten there without improving combat skills that you need to worry.
Ah ok cool, thanks.
And yeah I really wish they'dd release some type of DLC for this, something similar to Crackdown's keys to the city would be really cool.

Cromat

I'm 10 hours into the game and I've got to say it's really great. It looks amazing, the random dragon battles are great, the world seems really alive and well-crafted and there's so much content.

I'm a sneak-archer Khajit. Playing as the thief character is always the most fun when it's available IMO.

1stStrike

Banned
I'm loving the game! Only thing I hate is the long ass traveling I have to do to get anywhere new.

Quick travel to a spot nearby and then run from there. Or, if you don't want to quick travel (and you're on PC), there's a mod that improves the speed of horses (while not going over the top) as well as boosting the amount of stamina they have, so you can actually use the horse more realisticly.

Combine that with the horses for followers mod and traveling becomes fun.

GhaleonEB

With just a change of equipment and a couple points on the thief side of things (sneak/lock picking), you can adapt quite well without really needing to make a new character from what I've seen. Sure, there's a bunch of other perks you'll get if you make a specific character build, but I was able to sneak around just fine with my mage, pick locks, open chests, and the bow + poison combo was still pretty effective (I didn't always kill on the first shot, so would need to switch back to magic to finish 'em off).
It wasn't the need to make a new character, but rather the fun of it. I really enjoy the early arcs in RPGs when every level you go up has an outsized impact, where each perk (to make it specific to Skyrim) really matters, where gold is a precious commodity and loot matters. Once I get up to a certain level, and enemy levels have plateaued and I'm beastly, much of the interest in exploring and looting is gone.

Plus, I actually role play in my games, and my thief had a very different personality than my orc, who had a different personality to my Illusion/archery master. Doing my archer and then restarting as a melee brawler made it feel like a whole new game, especially since we covered mostly unique quests.

Himself

Hmm. I'm deep enough in the game now where I feel like taking sides with the storm cloaks or the empire, but I'm an elf and it doesn't seem like either side takes too kindly to elves. What to do...

shiroryu

I'm loving the game! Only thing I hate is the long ass traveling I have to do to get anywhere new.

If this is your first time through the game, I recommend walking everywhere - the experience is simply astounding, discovering the Skyrim landscape and points of interest as you go. Do the fast travel only when you've pretty much discovered everything along a route.

nHDR

Banned
Didn't know where else to post this. If anyone wants to see my epic Oblivion characters...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u8eY50mgVVQ

Going to post my Skyrim characters soon. :) Working on a dark brotherhood argonian currently. Also, I think I need to replay Morrowind. I was reading the huge guide in the bathroom and realized I MAY have skipped the Imperial Cult questline many years ago. REPLAY TIME!

Boss Man

NOOB QUESTION :(

how can i turn the camera to see my face? :O

pc version
On console, you can do it simply by adjusting the camera as you would expect (facing a nearby wall with your character allows you to get a closer look).

The "trick" is that you can't have your weapon unsheathed/be in combat mode.

Side note:
It's pretty lame that, while dual-wielding, it looks like you only have one weapon when they're sheathed. It's like this on console at least.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Camera seems to work differently on PS3. On Xbox (and PC), the camera is over the shoulder when you have your weapon sheathed. On PS3, it's way out in 3rd person no matter what.

LogicStep

If this is your first time through the game, I recommend walking everywhere - the experience is simply astounding, discovering the Skyrim landscape and points of interest as you go. Do the fast travel only when you've pretty much discovered everything along a route.

Yeah, I can see how that would be a good idea, but man does it take forever to get anywhere >_<. Even by horse.

1stStrike

Banned
Yeah, I can see how that would be a good idea, but man does it take forever to get anywhere >_<. Even by horse.

That's kind of the point. You can aimlessly wander around the game world with no particular goal in mind, and still find plenty to do, with no invisible walls and no real limitations on where you can go.

Being able to get from one location to another in a matter of seconds would kind of deat of the purpose of the game.

LogicStep

That's kind of the point. You can aimlessly wander around the game world with no particular goal in mind, and still find plenty to do, with no invisible walls and no real limitations on where you can go.

Being able to get from one location to another in a matter of seconds would kind of deat of the purpose of the game.

True, I am going around on my horse for now.

Question for those that playes sneak type characters. What did you do with your companion? I think Lydia is messing up my flow with the whole staying in the shadows thing.

1stStrike

Banned
True, I am going around on my horse for now.

Question for those that playes sneak type characters. What did you do with your companion? I think Lydia is messing up my flow with the whole staying in the shadows thing.

I dismissed my companion. They just return back to where you got them, and you can grab them again later, so you might as well dismiss them. With the sneak missions you're rarely in any combat situations where you'll actually need or want a companion anyway.

LogicStep

I dismissed my companion. They just return back to where you got them, and you can grab them again later, so you might as well dismiss them. With the sneak missions you're rarely in any combat situations where you'll actually need or want a companion anyway.

Yeah I know they go back to where you got them. I think I'll do that see how it plays out. What's a good backup when you are sneaking around but maybe you get detected or baddies are in your face? Right now I don't know what to go with, magic seems to work ok, but I'm not sure. It's hard to kill fast enough with arrows when they are all up in your face.

1stStrike

Banned
Yeah I know they go back to where you got them. I think I'll do that see how it plays out. What's a good backup when you are sneaking around but maybe you get detected or baddies are in your face? Right now I don't know what to go with, magic seems to work ok, but I'm not sure. It's hard to kill fast enough with arrows when they are all up in your face.

If they are in your face, I'd go with magic and a bound sword, personally. Something like fire wall, and change to healing when necessary. You can coat your bound sword in poison or whatever to boost its damage, as well.

You can also just fus ro dah them (fully charged fus ro dah) to send all the enemies flying across the room, and then continue shooting them with your bow while they're down too.

zaxon

There's a standing stone in The Rift that gives you the ability to go invisible. It's only once a day, but it's a nice tool to have for those "Oh shi-" moments when you're playing as a squishy stealther.

1stStrike

Banned
There's a standing stone in The Rift that gives you the ability to go invisible. It's only once a day, but it's a nice tool to have for those "Oh shi-" moments when you're playing as a squishy stealther.

The dark brotherhood quest line also gives you the choice between that and two other pretty rad abilities too at the end. I tried out the HP drain and stealth. Liked both, but the stealth was too good to resist. You're revealed when you interact with something, but crouch again and you return to being invisilble for the duration. Loved it.

teiresias

I've gotten fairly bored of playing my mage character. I can pretty much throw dual-wield adept anything at pretty much anything and kill it, and things I can't do that with kill you annoyingly fast with little recourse available (that I've found anyway). It also turns the game pretty much into a FPS, which is somewhat annoying. I'm thinking of speeding through the main quest line with this character then restarting a different character as just a "bum around" character - probably focused around archery and thievery - to just do side quests and more "evil" quest lines.

Then again, since I bought this in the bundle I could just move on and try Morrowind for the first time. Haven't decided yet.

LogicStep

Cool, killed my first dragon after like 6 tries! That was exciting! Had to spam some potions and heal spells but I got it done :D

So Lydia died, should I care? Can I get her back?

And wtf? My computer is freezing way too often all of a sudden...

the problem i had with walking everywhere was the fact that the map screen doesn't show roads at all. most of the time when i was trying to get up the side of the mountain to a destination i would end up taking the hard way instead of the path that was 50ft away. if it wasn't for the shitty map i would have rode my horse most of the game. 360 version btw

the problem i had with walking everywhere was the fact that the map screen doesn't show roads at all. most of the time when i was trying to get up the side of the mountain to a destination i would end up taking the hard way instead of the path that was 50ft away. if it wasn't for the shitty map i would have rode my horse most of the game. 360 version btw

You chose poorly. There's a great mod for PC that shows all the roads, large and small, on the map. And just spend more time on the roads, most locations have a path from a road so it's worth it to go down the road a bit more before turning into the wild just because your compass says so.

VALKYRAY

Banned
Cool, killed my first dragon after like 6 tries! That was exciting! Had to spam some potions and heal spells but I got it done :D

And wtf? My computer is freezing way too often all of a sudden...

she is not an essential NPC, once she dies, she will not return. there are is no quest related to her.

shiroryu

Yeah, I know. One of the many frustrations addressed by mods, and I chose the PC version knowing this would happen. Hope that Bethesda's plan to port some mods back to the X360/PS3 pans out, but I wouldn't hold my breath.

zaxon

You can't her get back except by reloading a save. Followers are easily replaced and eventually get obsoleted by the newer ones you meet, so whether to care or not is entirely dependent on if you felt any kind of bond with them as a character.

Yeah, I know. One of the many frustrations addressed by mods, and I chose the PC version knowing this would happen. Hope that Bethesda's plan to port some mods back to the X360/PS3 pans out, but I wouldn't hold my breath.

Skyrim really isn't a multi-platform game. There is Skyrim for the PC and Skyrim-Lite for consoles. Buying it for a console when you have a PC capable of running it is a bad decision, period.

On the 360, dragons are just dragons. On the PC, dragons are Macho Man Randy Savage.

1stStrike

Banned
You can't her get back except by reloading a save. Followers are easily replaced and eventually get obsoleted by the newer ones you meet, so whether to care or not is entirely dependent on if you felt any kind of bond with them as a character.

There's a mod (isn't there always?) that revamps followers and makes all of the housecarls useful. I was having quite a bit of fun changing between followers, as they each have different skills and the like.

http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/downloads/file.php?id=7554

Highly recommended if you want your followers to not suck.

LogicStep

she is not an essential NPC, once she dies, she will not return. there are is no quest related to her.

I see, thanks for the replies. No bond at all with her so whatever.

There's a mod (isn't there always?) that revamps followers and makes all of the housecarls useful. I was having quite a bit of fun changing between followers, as they each have different skills and the like.

http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/downloads/file.php?id=7554

Highly recommended if you want your followers to not suck.

Wouldn't that make them too good and jeopardize the difficulty of the game? It sounds like a neat idea but I just don't know. If you or anyone else here has used it, I would love some feedback on that.

I had the most amazing realization last night while playing, it might not be that big of a deal to some of you but, playing a sneak type of character is as close as I have ever gotten to the amazing experience that it was playing Thief back in the day, I'm loving it.

1stStrike

Banned
Wouldn't that make them too good and jeopardize the difficulty of the game? It sounds like a neat idea but I just don't know. If you or anyone else here has used it, I would love some feedback on that.

I had the most amazing realization last night while playing, it might not be that big of a deal to some of you but, playing a sneak type of character is as close as I have ever gotten to the amazing experience that it was playing Thief back in the day, I'm loving it.

Nah, it doesn't unbalance it. They just tweaked the followers to make them not suck. That doesn't equate to overpowered or easy mode. I also got the mod to boost the difficulty of dragons too, so everything was still hard as shit for me.

Also, I am kind of reminded of Thief's gameplay. I'm actually looking forward to "Thi4f". Just hoping it doesn't suck and does the series justice. And it better have grapling hooks!

Top Bottom