• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim |OT2| Team Edward's Revenge

Himself

I have a paladin type character that I've really enjoyed. I found it quite rewarding for example when the Dark Brotherhood tried to initiate me. I also have plenty of quests that i have no intention of finishing on him because of what it tries to make you do. Just remember, even if it's a big quest or main quest trying to get you to do something you don't want your character doing, you can just not do it. There's nothing wrong with just not finishing those quests.

Yeah i think i just need to be a bit more mindful. This is my first time going through an RPG with a certain character type in mind instead of just going off and doing whatever the heck I felt like.

Mxrz

Vokun is blasting my ass all over the place. Grr.

I spent a lot of time getting smithing high enough to make full glass. This has put me up around level 26.I go on this quest, and now guy is just mudering me. My poisons are all resisted. I'm using 2 (epic) glass swords, and only the double power attack seems to do any damage. Also have 2 companions with me. I've been chugging healing potions, and come close a couple of times.

Does he ever run out of mana? Between him and the way Anksa was nuking down stuff, I can't see why folks consider mages weak this time.

Antagon

For difficulty, how many of the games have selectable difficulties? And how hard is the hardest difficulty compared to Dark Souls (if you played it)? Outside of the five main games, aren't there two spin-offs? I'm one of those nerds that if I give one game a try, I aim to try other games in that franchise. That's how and why I played King's Field in the first place: I fell in love with Demon's Souls, which was considered to be a spiritual successor to that series.

This is not a game that you should play for combat. The combat is simply not good enough for that, it lacks all the finesse of a souls game. The main strength of the Elder Scrolls is the world and the freedom it presents.

Ricker

Ok so I think I finished this game lol...even though I know you can keep on playing after,wasn't I suppose to get the credits roll at some point? just want to make sure,maybe there is someone I need to talk to after the ending stuff(asking without details,i'll spoil what I did if it helps later)

The only way to make melee combat enjoyable is to go sword and board. Any other combat style is button-mashing, sword and board is actually very engaging.

I tried playing a dual-wielder and it was abyssmal, I don't know how people can stand that boredom. Using a two-hander was a little better but blocking wasn't good enough to quite warrant strategic fighting over smashing.

Somebody just needs to fix the game so stamina use, regen and blocking mimic Demon's Souls' combat mechanics. Then Skyrim would be perfect.

Boss Man

Honestly, it doesn't even need to be as good as Demon's Souls. I just wish the combat felt like...anything.

Thankfully the game itself is so engaging that it doesn't matter, but I can only imagine how much more enjoyable it would be if combat had anything going for it. It's just lifeless.

Archery doesn't suffer as much, but then again shooting someone in the foot, hand, and head are all the same thing.

Ricker

Credits don't roll. You will have to manually view them from the start screen.

Simple reason: The game is endless.

Ok cool,just wanted to make sure,I will try another way to finish the game now,probably harder then the way I did it the first time,but I think I will wait for the DLC...clocked in close to 120 hours,might play a bit to get the level 50 achievement,I finished the game at 49 1/2.

OG Kush

Honestly, it doesn't even need to be as good as Demon's Souls. I just wish the combat felt like...anything.

Thankfully the game itself is so engaging that it doesn't matter, but I can only imagine how much more enjoyable it would be if combat had anything going for it. It's just lifeless.

Archery doesn't suffer as much, but then again shooting someone in the foot, hand, and head are all the same thing.

Wait.. theres no headshot bonus?!

Gazzawa

Havent played this since January.
One of the best descriptions I've heard is "its an ok game with lots to do"
Not as good as Morrowind but still well worth playing. Roll on the DLC!

ronito

Man, being my companion is apparently a risky proposition.

My first companion got accidently killed when I got in a fight in a tight corridor and they got in the way.

Then my second one just died from a bug. I went and got into a fight. After I was done I turned around I see a bow just floating out there a few feet away from the battle. I click on it and it says "Search Lydia" (my companion's name).

Now there was no action what so ever around where the bow was, I didn't do any shouts or AoE spells There was no body whatsoever. Just a floating bow.

Pissed me off.

Somebody just needs to fix the game so stamina use, regen and blocking mimic Demon's Souls' combat mechanics. Then Skyrim would be perfect.
2-handed gets pretty close once you get the power-move perks. I do a lot of stun moves coupled with Ice Form, and in group fights, even at high level (particularly against ranged magic), I have to pay some attention to my stamina.

TronLight

Everybody is Mikkelsexual
So... I was wandering about the ENB Mod for Skyrim... I hope there isn't another thread just for Skyrim's modding. :)

Anyway, I was wandering if even the Skyrim version of the ENB could overheat the nVdia VGA like the GTA4 versione... Do you know anything about it?

Download the 1.5 Beta Update on Steam

If you’d like to download the 1.5 Beta Update on Steam, you’ll need to follow these steps:

Click on Steam in the upper menu
Select Settings
Under the Account tab, go to the Beta Participation section and select Change.
A drop down menu will appear. Select Skyrim Beta.
Select OK.
Steam will now restart. After Steam restarts, Skyrim will be updated to the Beta version currently available.
--

1.5 beta update details and video : http://www.bethblog.com/2012/03/15/new-features-highlight-1-5-update/

I'm sure I saw someone getting DDT'd in that video. Edit: Actually, I think it was a suplex.

OG Kush

I'm on the mission "diplomatic immunity" where you sneak into the
thalmor embassy
Is this meant to be a stealth mission? i'm doing the main missions a bit late, so I'm already level 82 in stealth and it just seems hard as hell to sneak around, keep getting caught, and I'm not sure if I'm meant to be stealthy or if I can go all out. I thought it was stealth misssion so I only took my frickin dagger!

thalmor embassy
Is this meant to be a stealth mission? i'm doing the main missions a bit late, so I'm already level 82 in stealth and it just seems hard as hell to sneak around, keep getting caught, and I'm not sure if I'm meant to be stealthy or if I can go all out. I thought it was stealth misssion so I only took my frickin dagger!
That's what I thought, but I'm also an orc specializing in 2-handed and heavy armor. So I had Voldustraang (the Orc God warhammer) smuggled in and just started beating on things when they saw me. Worked fine. How much of a conversation you hear near the end of the mission has a small effect on dialogue choices during the mission, so if you're really roleplaying a type of character that may matter, but just barely and I wouldn't worry about it.

Himself

thalmor embassy

I quickly changed my strategy from trying to not get caught to playing it like any other dungeon. Not sure if you're expected to be able to stealth the whole thing. Brought up unpleasant memories about how broken the stealth in Uncharted 3 is.

GhaleonEB

Glad to hear of the next update, the new kill cams sound great. New melee animations?!

Also:

Smithing skill increases now factor in the created item’s value​

Why on earth wasn't this rolled out sooner. 0_o

Boss Man

Glad to hear of the next update, the new kill cams sound great. New melee animations?!

Also:

Smithing skill increases now factor in the created item’s value​

Why on earth wasn't this rolled out sooner. 0_o

StateofMind's (level 100) blacksmith shop:

Looking to defend yourself or deal some damage?
-I need something for defense.
Oh. Well how about an Iron Dagger? We've got plenty of those.
-Um...I was thinking a shield might be nice.
You know, an Iron Dagger is basically just a small pointy shield. You should buy a few.
-But how...
We actually have them on sale now. If you buy a dozen you get the second dozen free.
-But I don't need...
HERE IS YOUR IRON DAGGER SIR. THANK YOU COME AGAIN.

*(37) Iron Daggers removed.*
*You are carrying too much to be able to run.*

UFRA

Just beat the game today finally.

133 hrs at Level 50. I completed all quest lines except for the Daedra line. I intentionally killed one of the people since I didn't agree with eating human flesh! lol

Now to explore the few places I haven't been to yet.

What a great game.

mileS

High res texture update for PC and this new patch with ranged kill cams.... WOW I'm really happy I took a long long break from this game. Can't wait to get back into this now

shiroryu

Can't wait for the beta to be a full part of the game...don't want to touch my Skyrim installation right now. Those ranged killcams look good, but the melee ones look awesome. Though I'm not sure about suplexes :p

Happened upon Blackreach yesterday via Alftand, and was amazed...Bethesda built a huge cave system underneath Skyrim...the upper world isn't all there is! Wiki says it's 4 square miles of in-game land.

I wish the Dwemer were still around, or that another race (not inimical like the Falmer) took up residence there. It'd be a great faction hideout. Exploring underground cave systems is awesome, but it'd be nice to see a friendly face now and then.

GhaleonEB

Can't wait for the beta to be a full part of the game...don't want to touch my Skyrim installation right now. Those ranged killcams look good, but the melee ones look awesome. Though I'm not sure about suplexes :p

Happened upon Blackreach yesterday via Alftand, and was amazed...Bethesda built a huge cave system underneath Skyrim...the upper world isn't all there is! Wiki says it's 4 square miles of in-game land.

I wish the Dwemer were still around, or that another race (not inimical like the Falmer) took up residence there. It'd be a great faction hideout. Exploring underground cave systems is awesome, but it'd be nice to see a friendly face now and then.

I spent three solid days doing nothing but exploring Blackreach. Amazing, unexpected place.

shiroryu

I spent three solid days doing nothing but exploring Blackreach. Amazing, unexpected place.

I just went straight through it for my Breton mage who's very focused on becoming the best mage in the land and so wanted only the scroll. My second thief character will explore it thoroughly for loot :)

SteveWD40

So what the hell is wrong with the Steam Community / Workshop right now?

I re-installed Skyrim after a break, when I opened the launcher it re-downloaded the 11 mods I was using, but I wanted to start a clean game and browse for perhaps better mods now.

I go into the workshop and when I select my subscribed mods it shows none, I try and browse the workshop and it keeps hanging then crashing to the "Steam Community unavailable"... So now I can't seem to unsub from mods I have and can't get new ones, joy.

Frustrating POS.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Blackreach fulfilled a gap that was missing in my gaming experiences ever since Wrath of the Lich King launched. It was promised that Ajzol'Nerub (underground insect kingdom) would be an explorable area, but due to time constraints, it became a small linear dungeon with invisible walls up the ying yang. What made it worse is that you could see how incredibly detailed and large the environment was - you just could not go there.

If I were to list the things that instantly get a smile from me in games, they'd be sharks/dangerous waters, large alien caverns, and space. Still waiting for a good underwater combat mod for Skyrim, but they did the caverns just right.

shiroryu

Blackreach fulfilled a gap that was missing in my gaming experiences ever since Wrath of the Lich King launched. It was promised that Ajzol'Nerub (underground insect kingdom) would be an explorable area, but due to time constraints, it became a small linear dungeon with invisible walls up the ying yang. What made it worse is that you could see how incredibly detailed and large the environment was - you just could go there.

If I were to list the things that instantly get a smile from me in games, they'd be sharks/dangerous waters, large alien caverns, and space. Still waiting for a good underwater combat mod for Skyrim, but they did the caverns just right.

Since ME went off the rails in ME2, I keep wondering if Bethesda ever wants to get into the space RPG genre. You wouldn't get any epic stories, but the exploration would be out of this world.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
I would be completely on board with that - I actually started playing Mass Effect a few days ago on Xbox in a silent protest against the rest of the series.

GhaleonEB

I still have no idea where or what Blackreach is after 145 hours. I dont want to know, really. I'd rather discover it on my own.

I didn't go there until well into my 3rd character, after a good 200 hours of play. I found that satisfying, as it's such a hugely unique place, it came right when I wanted to find one.

MrBig

Started my second playthrough today after collecting a few mods, including: more ambient travelers/hostiles, disabling the terrible non-real (ambient) light, ambient critters and more animals, the Jasmine ENB mod, and (the thing that has the biggest impact to me personally) both current ambient sound mods for dungeons and the wild. Dungeons now feel alive and can be terrifying with the light and sound mod. I've stayed away from all texture mods because I feel that they detract from the original textures and create an uneven experience.
Feels like a brand new game, and I'll be playing it on and off again, in contrast to my initial playthrough, in preparation for any DLC that comes out.

shiroryu

I still have no idea where or what Blackreach is after 145 hours. I dont want to know, really. I'd rather discover it on my own.

There's a fairly good chance of finding it because it interconnects three different large dungeons.

And more importantly, it's part of the main quest. So I'm surprised you guys haven't found it, unless you've stayed away from the main quest this long.

Started my second playthrough today after collecting a few mods, including: more ambient travelers/hostiles, disabling the terrible non-real (ambient) light, ambient critters and more animals, the Jasmine ENB mod, and (the thing that has the biggest impact to me personally) both current ambient sound mods for dungeons and the wild. Dungeons now feel alive and can be terrifying with the light and sound mod. I've stayed away from all texture mods because I feel that they detract from the original textures and create an uneven experience.
Feels like a brand new game, and I'll be playing it on and off again, in contrast to my initial playthrough, in preparation for any DLC that comes out.

Get the horses for followers and oblivious horses mods. Should make travelling much more bearable.

Mxrz

I got annoyed and turned the difficulty down a notch. Now my interest in the game is flubbering a little.

In the
last companion quest
The
ghost guys
were taking 3/4ths of my 300 health in 1 or 2 hits. I've about a 240 armor rating with light armor. Maybe a little low since my light armor skill is only 40-50'ish at level 29, but blargh.

Also, snow bears are more deadly than dragons, ancient vampires, and the like.

Top Bottom