• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim |OT2| Team Edward's Revenge

Anything that I can do to keep freezing/crashing to a minimum on 360? I don't keep a very large save file. I've been careful to delete much older saves as I go...

Ugh, I can't advance in Dawnguard. Right after I
reach Castle Volkihar with Serana and speak with Lord Harkon, I accept his "gift" and when he bites me, the screen goes black for some time then, instead of the next area, I am right back at the Castle hall with everyone going their business and Harkon in Vampire Lord form just standing at the center, I have Vampire eyes and all powers but the transformation, and I can't do anything.

It's really frustrating, I thought it might've been a mod issue, but it seems many people are having problems around that scene and the Vampire Lord mode tutorial. I'm going to try and disable some of my mods but it's getting to my nerves, I don't want to use the console either because seemingly it causes problems with NPCS not recognizing you as a Vampire around the Castle.

If someone knows anything about how to fix this, I'd greatly appreciate the help.

Ugh, I can't advance in Dawnguard. Right after I
reach Castle Volkihar with Serana and speak with Lord Harkon, I accept his "gift" and when he bites me, the screen goes black for some time then, instead of the next area, I am right back at the Castle hall with everyone going their business and Harkon in Vampire Lord form just standing at the center, I have Vampire eyes and all powers but the transformation, and I can't do anything.

It's really frustrating, I thought it might've been a mod issue, but it seems many people are having problems around that scene and the Vampire Lord mode tutorial. I'm going to try and disable some of my mods but it's getting to my nerves, I don't want to use the console either because seemingly it causes problems with NPCS not recognizing you as a Vampire around the Castle.

If someone knows anything about how to fix this, I'd greatly appreciate the help.

PC or console?

I don't know what people mean by "start." You should always do a bit of it pretty early in the game just to get Unrelenting Force, and then depending on how many dragons show up, keep going nearly to the end so you can get Dragonrend. But if someone really played 135 hours without all three words of Unrelenting Force, that's just crazy. It's a free knockdown on whole groups of enemies, and it makes for all kinds of entertaining ragdoll.

And what were you doing for 135 hours anyway? 2 of my characters are nearly level 50 and I don't even have 130 hours of Skyrim across all of my characters.

I made an Altmer to do all magic, mostly Destruction, and Alteration partially for that sweet bear rolling. Of course it means I'm going to need enchanting yet again. My sneaky character made it almost to level 50 without smithing or enchanting because I used bound weapons, but I leveled enchanting anyway. Someday I'll try not to.

I'm one of those people who doesn't roll alts, I prefer to do everything on one character. To be fair, a good amount of time was probably spent messing around in-game with mods though. I can't say I was actually questing or whatever for 135 hours. But I have completed the Thieves Guild and Dark Brotherhood quest lines, I've gotten around halfway through the boring Companions and Mage's College quests, and I even knocked out the Bard's College stuff for fun. I'm the Thane of every Hold except Windhelm and I own every house except the one in Windhelm.

I don't know what the point of Unrelenting Force would be for me when I prefer to go in with swords swinging and slaughter groups of enemies. They can try and hit me back all they want, it's hard for me to care with my 802 armor rating wearing light armor and max magic resist. Knocking them down just means I don't get to watch delicious killmoves, since enemies have to be standing to trigger them!

GhaleonEB

So, I never did pick up Dawnguard, and I probably won't end up doing so.

I think I'm ready for some more Skyrim, but I want a new land to explore, so I can start a fresh character and begin anew. A new quest line with a few perk trees and the usual assortment of new enemies and such just doesn't have a lot of appeal for me. I hope the next bucket of DLC is a true expansion.

I think I'm ready for some more Skyrim, but I want a new land to explore, so I can start a fresh character and begin anew. A new quest line with a few perk trees and the usual assortment of new enemies and such just doesn't have a lot of appeal for me. I hope the next bucket of DLC is a true expansion.

You know, Ghal, I was in the same boat as you, but the stuff Dawnguard adds are, imo, really worth it. And I'll give you a tiny spoiler:
It does have some new areas. Really cool ones, too. Think Blackreach.

You can always wait until it's for sale, but I heavily recommend it anyway.

I wish they'd add Cyrodiil and Vvardenfell.

I mean, it's there! Kind of.

FDdYV.png

edSD9.png

GrTk0.jpg

And always seeing those gates is such a cocktease.

wibQb.png

Woorloog

Banned

As Blue Ninja said, Dawnguard has some cool stuff. Just wait till a sale...

Me, i want/need more landmass as well. And a lot of new spells. DOTs and debuffs especially, also more creatures to summon.

What was the name Bethesda registered sometime ago? Can't remember it anymore...

Why are you using TES wikia instead of UESP?

Gotta say it is impossible to make any guesses based on the name.

Convenience: it was the first one that came up on the omnibar. I usually use UESP, though I find them seriously lacking in the lore department. TES Wikia tries to fix that, but their quality's questionable at best.

Convenience: it was the first one that came up on the omnibar. I usually use UESP, though I find them seriously lacking in the lore department. TES Wikia tries to fix that, but their quality's questionable at best.

I find that TES Wikia has a much more comprehensive list of bugs for a certain quest and how to fix or bypass the bugs. I also like the listings of console commands there.

cdyhybrid

So I dumped 158 hours into the game after it came out, and haven't played it since. Getting the urge to start again because of Dawnguard. Would it be best to just uninstall the game to clear any lingering mod issues and re-mod? I have completely forgotten how all of that stuff works.

Alteration was pretty easy to max out. Wandering around towns using Detect Life.

And you can charge spells while ethereal. So now I can just Turn Ethereal, wander into a group of enemies and Mass Paralysis, then spam Fireball into them.

It's too bad Atronarchs resist Paralysis, or else I could just summon them and roll them down mountains all day.

Tom's Hardware and Reddit reporting a new DLC called Hearthfire coming?

Bethesda parent company Zenimax recently filed for a trademark under the Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim name called Hearthfire, which references the fictional name for the month of September in the universe's lore.

This filing reinforces a post made by Bethsoft forum user irishandargonian, who claims to have knowledge of Skyrim's DLC from Reddit user derptemp6698. Derptemp6698 was the Reddit user who (accurately) leaked all the Mass Effect 3 DLC. Derptemp6698 gave what seems to be a summary of the expansion, which irishandargonian made public: "Hearthfire™, the next official game-add on for The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim®, has arrived. For the first time in the Elder Scrolls universe, purchase land and build your own home from the ground up - from a simple one-room cottage to a sprawling compound complete with armory, alchemy laboratory, trophy room, and more! With Hearthfire, the possibilities of what you can build are endless."

While homebuilding might not exactly have been what most Elder Scrolls gamers were looking for in the next Skyrim mod, it's definitely a nice touch. Currently, house customization in the game is a nightmare. And who knows? Maybe setting books on a bookshelf will finally be less of a hair-tearing task.
It sounds more like a small little add-on patch rather than a full expansion at this point, along the lines of some of the previous content that Bethesda has been releasing as patches, but it still sounds like a pretty decent improvement. Hopefully there's some normal gameplay consequences for owning a Hearthfire house.

It sounds more like a small little add-on patch rather than a full expansion at this point, along the lines of some of the previous content that Bethesda has been releasing as patches, but it still sounds like a pretty decent improvement. Hopefully there's some normal gameplay consequences for owning a Hearthfire house.

Sounds like one more mode of their GameJam that finds its way into the game.

"Upon completing Skyrim, the team at Bethesda Game Studios took a week where everyone was given ONE task:

Do whatever you want and put it in the game."

The ideas shown include:

Spears

Kill cams for magic

Water arrows

Giant mud crabs

Paralysis runes

Seasonal foliage

Speedy water currents

Dragon mounts

Dark dungeons

Adoption of children

Advanced home building

Epic new mounts

Fast travel portals

Kinect dragon shouts

Enhanced water visuals

Ice and fire arrows

Lycanthrope perk tree

Vampire imp minions

Goblins

So I dumped 158 hours into the game after it came out, and haven't played it since. Getting the urge to start again because of Dawnguard. Would it be best to just uninstall the game to clear any lingering mod issues and re-mod? I have completely forgotten how all of that stuff works.

List all of your mods and most likely you do not have to.

If you have perk heavy, or script heavy mods (like sounds of Skyrim), then I'd do a clean re-install of Skyrim then remod it with your favorite mods. Make sure to read compatibility and look at the date of the update of the mod, to make sure its compatible with Dawnguard.

Sorry for double post! Quote-edit fail

So, pretty much it just sounds like this mod:

Build Your Own Home
http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/mods/18480

Woorloog

Banned
Sounds like something they can't possibly charge any more than 5 bucks for, right?

I hope there's a lot more to this DLC than just home building, if so, it can cost more than 5 bucks for all i care. Just no more 15 buck DLC please, unless something like the Shivering Isles.
That said, i like the idea. Just improve the marriage system while at it. Need, umm... *tries to think something that isn't potentially sexist* i give up. Just make it better.

cdyhybrid

Hmmm...did they implement finishing move cinematics for magic or is this part of a mod I'm using? Used Fire Hands to kill a wolf and got a mini-cinematic where it fell over and burned for a bit.

It was added in 1.5 along with archery killcams and horse combat.

Can be kind of annoying when the game wants you to watch a fireball fly 50 feet and blow up a wolf while another enemy keeps biting you. Then it rarely activates when you want it to, like when you do a two-handed fireball right into someone's face.

Loginius

Can be kind of annoying when the game wants you to watch a fireball fly 50 feet and blow up a wolf while another enemy keeps biting you. Then it rarely activates when you want it to, like when you do a two-handed fireball right into someone's face.

Sounds like the bolded part is a Problem that comes with a mod.
In Vanilla killmoves "should" only triger at the last enemy standing.

cdyhybrid

Crossbows are pretty cool. Started a female Dunmer character that will specialize in Sneak and Destruction, mainly killing from Stealth using magic, crossbows, and daggers/bound swords.

Getting a killcam while still fighting another enemy should only trigger because of a mod (like Dancing Death).

For console players or vanilla Skyrim players with no killcam mods, the cinematic should only trigger when the last enemy is killed, just fyi =)

Raptomex

Ever since the horse combat addition do the horses move differently now? I haven't played in a while but I remember the riding animation looking weird compared to before.

Getting a killcam while still fighting another enemy should only trigger because of a mod (like Dancing Death).

For console players or vanilla Skyrim players with no killcam mods, the cinematic should only trigger when the last enemy is killed, just fyi =)

If you throw a fireball at enemies who haven't detected you, it might activate the cinematic camera. And I've been hit by one wolf while using Fireball on a different one, so it can happen. Without mods. Not with melee, but with ranged attacks it seems possible.

Bucca

Fools are always so certain of themselves, but wiser men so full of doubts.
So how is the 1.06 update for PS3? Anything horribly breaking or is it ok to install?

GhaleonEB

You know, Ghal, I was in the same boat as you, but the stuff Dawnguard adds are, imo, really worth it. And I'll give you a tiny spoiler:
It does have some new areas. Really cool ones, too. Think Blackreach.

You can always wait until it's for sale, but I heavily recommend it anyway.
By new areas, I mean - new towns, new land, something akin to Shivering Isles. I know about the new locations in the add on.

That and to be honest, much of the new content doesn't really interest me. I thought the crossbows were meh when I tried them at my brother's house, and being stuck in 3rd person as a Vampire Lord is a deal breaker. I get that it's a new quest line, but I'm going to hold out for a true expansion.

By new areas, I mean - new towns, new land, something akin to Shivering Isles. I know about the new locations in the add on.

That and to be honest, much of the new content doesn't really interest me. I thought the crossbows were meh when I tried them at my brother's house, and being stuck in 3rd person as a Vampire Lord is a deal breaker. I get that it's a new quest line, but I'm going to hold out for a true expansion.

I hope one rolls around soon enough: the game's been out for almost a year. But, I'll say what I've said before: the way they implemented Skyrim-specific canon into gameplay (the dragon shouts and word walls) has pretty much painted them in a corner they can't get out of. If they add new lands, they'll risk breaking the canon by adding word walls to places that, logically, shouldn't have them. I dunno how they'll solve that.

I like Dawnguard because it expands upon what we have: adding in some interesting extras. But, yeah, I can understand it's off-putting for some people.

Top Bottom