• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim |OT2| Team Edward's Revenge

Lakitu

st5fu
It's not my fault. It was quite clearly caused by everyone's mad rush to download Hearthfire.

Hurry up :( I want to build a house for my family.

So any clues on how to start this? I've had no prompt nor have been able to activate through other means.

I just got approached by a Courier in Windhelm, carrying a letter from the steward of the jarl of Whiterun. Apparently you can upgrade your regular houses a bit too, at least by adding a children's bedroom. I'm guessing you'll need to become Thane of a hold before you can buy property.

Lakitu

st5fu
I just got approached by a Courier in Windhelm, carrying a letter from the steward of the jarl of Whiterun. Apparently you can upgrade your regular houses a bit too, at least by adding a children's bedroom. I'm guessing you'll need to become Thane of a hold before you can buy property.

Yeah got that letter and spoke to Dawnstar's steward. I'm building my house right now, it's quite addictive I must admit.

789shadow

Banned
What level are you? Also, I've seen a few reports where people had to restart the Xbox to get the DLC to load.
43, but I'm going to try it with my higher leveled character.

EDIT: Each of the 3 new houses comes with a new Housecarl, and you can fast travel directly to them.

EDIT: Each of the 3 new houses comes with a new Housecarl, and you can fast travel directly to them.

3 new houses ? In cities or houses you build yourself? Just dowloaded it, it was super small. Can't wait to play after work tonight :).

How do you choose land ? Can you really build it anywhere you want ?

789shadow

Banned
3 new houses ? In cities or houses you build yourself? Just dowloaded it, it was super small. Can't wait to play after work tonight :).

How do you choose land ? Can you really build it anywhere you want ?
There are specific plots of land available for purchase in Falkreath, The Pale, and Hjallmarch. You build them yourself with materials you can mine, craft, or buy. Each new house comes with a Housecarl. You can fast travel directly to all 3. You can also add a child's room to the 5 existing houses. Also, it seems like it's not possible to put every single thing on one house, although you combined across all 3 it is possible.

cdyhybrid

There are specific plots of land available for purchase in Falkreath, The Pale, and Hjallmarch. You build them yourself with materials you can mine, craft, or buy. Each new house comes with a Housecarl. You can fast travel directly to all 3. You can also add a child's room to the 5 existing houses. Also, it seems like it's not possible to put every single thing on one house, although you combined across all 3 it is possible.

Sounds pretty underwhelming. Guess I'll hold off on getting it and see what mods come out of it.

Lakitu

st5fu
Do you get any idea how big/"epic" the houses can get?

I'm still building my first home, I've had the main hall and an armory. I'm going to add two more upgrades but as it stands it's pretty big. More of a manor than a house. Certainly bigger than anything in the cities.

Screw plastic flamingos, you got a dragon skeleton in your yard.

It's not even just the skeleton, bastard still has his skin and everything. He didn't even have any gold or bones/scales I could loot, just a shit pair of leather gauntlets. One time I came out of the house and the dragon had loaded so that only it's head was sticking out of the ground but it reloads every time I fast-travel there or come out of the house.

It's not even just the skeleton, bastard still has his skin and everything. He didn't even have any gold or bones/scales I could loot, just a shit pair of leather gauntlets. One time I came out of the house and the dragon had loaded so that only it's head was sticking out of the ground but it reloads every time I fast-travel there or come out of the house.

Can't you use a resurrect spell on him to push him out of the way? Added bonus benefit of being funny as hell.

Volimar

I was hoping that each house would be of a different style, but all in all I'm still enjoying it. Finally a library that fits all my books.

Oh, but the iron...to think of all the times I went by a vein of iron ore or ingots in a dungeon and never grabbed em...

All that precious iron that I transmuted into worthless gold ore. How could I have known? HOW COULD I HAVE KNOWN?!?!

<sob>

Also, where do I find clay? I looked all over the Falkreach house area, but didn't see anything. I finally just bought it from the steward..

789shadow

Banned
I was hoping that each house would be of a different style, but all in all I'm still enjoying it. Finally a library that fits all my books.

Oh, but the iron...to think of all the times I went by a vein of iron ore or ingots in a dungeon and never grabbed em...

All that precious iron that I transmuted into worthless gold ore. How could I have known? HOW COULD I HAVE KNOWN?!?!

<sob>

Also, where do I find clay? I looked all over the Falkreach house area, but didn't see anything. I finally just bought it from the steward..
Brown spots on the ground.

There are reddish/brown spots on the ground near each house. There are also light grey spots where you can mine stone. Took me so long to figure that out lol.

Oh, and it also took me forever to find out how to get more logs. In my frustration, I finally decided to read the instruction book that you're given and it clearly explains how to get more logs :lol

Lakitu

st5fu
After a long day of work, Odin built his manor in the Pale yesterday. The 3 extensions consisted of the armory, the trophy room and the bedrooms for the children. He also really wanted a library and a kitchen but did not find the space.

Still, as nice as it looks right now the place still needs some furnishings but he was able to move Ysolda in and adopt Runa from the orphanage. She loves pa. Things are definitely rosy, everyone is happy and he has a housecarl looking after the place when when Odin goes adventuring.

Odin hired a new bard to play music at his command. But it ended too quickly.

It was morning time, Odin just got up from a night's rest after a long day of carrying loot to his armory. As you'd expect he was naked. Runa and Ysolda did not say anything, they know how hard papa works but the bard, as she ate her breakfast chimed in with a snidey comment akin to 'put some clothes on, jeez.' Odin has since relinquished her services. He will not be told what to do in his own home by a lowly bard, no less.

After a long day of work, Odin built his manor in the Pale yesterday. The 3 extensions consisted of the armory, the trophy room and the bedrooms for the children. He also really wanted a library and a kitchen but did not find the space.

Still, as nice as it looks right now the place still needs some furnishings but he was able to move Ysolda in and adopt Runa from the orphanage. She loves pa. Things are definitely rosy, everyone is happy and he has a housecarl looking after the place when when Odin goes adventuring.

Odin hired a new bard to play music at his command. But it ended too quickly.

It was morning time, Odin just got up from a night's rest after a long day of carrying loot to his armory. As you'd expect he was naked. Runa and Ysolda did not say anything, they know how hard papa works but the bard, as she ate her breakfast chimed in with a snidey comment akin to 'put some clothes on, jeez.' Odin has since relinquished her services. He will not be told what to do in his own home by a lowly bard, no less.

I can't help but feel a little creepy every time the adoption-option comes up during dialogue with kids. :lol

"Your life's shit, huh? Well, I'll take you to my mansion, show you a good time."

One thing I'm disappointed with: you can't add whichever wing you want to whatever part of the house. I mean, why can't I just build a library on the other side of the house, if the west wing is taken? Seems really lazy to me.

Volimar

I can't help but feel a little creepy every time the adoption-option comes up during dialogue with kids. :lol

"Your life's shit, huh? Well, I'll take you to my mansion, show you a good time."

One thing I'm disappointed with: you can't add whichever wing you want to whatever part of the house. I mean, why can't I just build a library on the other side of the house, if the west wing is taken? Seems really lazy to me.

Yep. I had to reload an earlier save after I made something else instead of the library. I really should have read that book first...

I adopted the girl from Whiterun. Lucia I think is her name. First gift I ever gave her was an Elven Dagger. It's a rough world, kid. Gotta protect yourself. Especially since I've been attacked by bandits and dragons at my house now...

Have to say, I'm not really feeling it. Started building a house in the Pale, but the cottage is too small and the mansion is way too big. Way too cluttered, too: I have no idea where to put everything.

Guess I'll stick to my plan to finish the Imperial Questline and buy Hjerim, and finish this for Achievement purposes only.

Lakitu

st5fu
Have to say, I'm not really feeling it. Started building a house in the Pale, but the cottage is too small and the mansion is way too big. Way too cluttered, too: I have no idea where to put everything.

Guess I'll stick to my plan to finish the Imperial Questline and buy Hjerim, and finish this for Achievement purposes only.

I'm quite curious about something, I built everything and then used the workbench in each area to add furniture. I'm still missing some things but when I hired a steward he said he could furnish the whole house for me. Does that mean he can add everything himself without us having put that work in? If so, I wasted a couple of hours.

Saying that, I don't think I can be too bothered to build 3 houses. The Odin household is quite comfortable where it is right now. The only reason would be for achievement purposes.

Volimar

I'm quite curious about something, I built everything and then used the workbench in each area to add furniture. I'm still missing some things but when I hired a steward he said he could furnish the whole house for me. Does that mean he can add everything himself without us having put that work in? If so, I wasted a couple of hours.

Saying that, I don't think I can be too bothered to build 3 houses. The Odin household is quite comfortable where it is right now. The only reason would be for achievement purposes.

It'd be pretty cool if you could rent out the other places. Though at this point, money is pretty useless to me. And I prefer to do as much of the work myself as I can as a point of pride.

Slermy

I cannot get a fucking mill owner to sell me logs. Fuck you Bethesda you piece of shit.

Which plot are you trying to build on? I've read people who are trying to buy wood for the Falkreath location but have killed the owners at Half-Moon Mill have had luck at the Solitude mill.

I asked him, but nothing happened. When I came back my main hall suddenly had an alchemy table, but it still didn't have everything.

Gahiggidy

My aunt & uncle run a Mom & Pop store, "The Gamecube Hut", and sold 80k WiiU within minutes of opening.
A friend I know owns this game (console version). He's played around 100+ hours of the game but suddenly his character has become bugged where he is way shorter than anyone else in the game, besides children. The model has literally shrunk down for no reason. Even the armor seems ill-fitting and it looks like the size of a 14 year old kid. Unfortunately, the save file that is still normal is from way back in the game progress (over 50 hours).

Is there a fix for this? The worst part is it makes it hard to see stuff high on shelves.

Volimar

You know it feels like they lost a huge opportunity here. Imagine this scenario.

The Dovahkiin goes back to adventuring after building a manor for his family. In his absence, he fails to learn that the speed and skill with which he built his home has attracted a lot of attention. After selling some loot in town, he is approached by a courier. Once again, the Jarl of Falkreath summons you. The Jarl and a group of merchants and property owners who were until recently residents of Helgen have heard of your abilities. To be blunt, they want the Dovahkiin to rid Helgen of the bandits and then rebuild Helgen from scratch. You could choose from a number of styles of various costs and complexities. You could have an open and inviting town, or awalled up fort to protect the people from further dragon attacks. You could even put in special structures to attract individuals like yourself that could protect the town in times of need. Perhaps an Arcane tower that works in concert with the College of Winterhold. Or a barracks for new initiates to the Blades or Companions to train and spread their influence. I could even see an underground fighting arena with skylights for the citizens to view the combat. So many possibilities.

Maybe I'm still bitter about not being able to rebuild Kvatch.

A friend I know owns this game (console version). He's played around 100+ hours of the game but suddenly his character has become bugged where he is way shorter than anyone else in the game, besides children. The model has literally shrunk down for no reason. Even the armor seems ill-fitting and it looks like the size of a 14 year old kid. Unfortunately, the save file that is still normal is from way back in the game progress (over 50 hours).

Is there a fix for this? The worst part is it makes it hard to see stuff high on shelves.

The only thing that comes close to this for me is that sometimes after crouching for stealth, if I do something like use an arcane enchanter or smithing, my character stays crouched down in first person mode even though it shows me standing up. But simply crouching and standing again fixes it. I've never heard of your friend's problem...

Angst

I finally bought Skyrim last week.

I've been doing the Stormcloak rebellion (up to the second fort now) and a few other quests, but nothing major. But it just doesn't feel like I'm progressing at all. I'm still using the steel armor I found one hour into the game, still using the steel greatsword. I'm currently at lvl 14 I think.

Any tips on how I should progress? Any specific quests I should do to make me feel like I'm actually doing something?

Top Bottom