• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim |OT2| Team Edward's Revenge

cdyhybrid

I don't think they necessarily NEED to include new words/shouts in a potential expansion. I'd be happy with new weapons (coughSPEARScough)/armor and spells along with new areas.

Volimar

wNHax.jpg

Custom Skyrim monopoly.

cdyhybrid

Bah, trying to find a mod that puts in some glaive-type weapons with a nice progression through the smithing ranks, but the only ones I can find are ridiculous, glowing, gigantic ripoffs of the Warglaives from WoW.

I don't think they necessarily NEED to include new words/shouts in a potential expansion. I'd be happy with new weapons (coughSPEARScough)/armor and spells along with new areas.

But that's the thing: they've made shouts such a big part of their gameplay, I dunno if they want to ditch that entire part of their game.

GhaleonEB

Next DLC announced: Hearthfire.

Build your own home, and adopt kids. Home construction and furnishing looks like fun. $5 or 400 space bucks.

I'll snag this one - my kids will love it and I might tinker a bit.

With Skyrim’s newest game add-on, Hearthfire, you can purchase land and build your own home from the ground up – from a simple one-room cottage to a sprawling compound complete with an armory, alchemy laboratory, stable, garden, and more. Use all-new tools like the drafting table and carpenter’s workbench to transform quarried stone, clay, and sawn logs into structures and furnishings. Even transform your house into a home by adopting children.

Hearthfire releases on Xbox LIVE next week (September 4th) for 400 Microsoft Points.

So how long do us PCers suffer for? :(

At least 30 days after release. I can't see any real problems in delaying longer than 30 days since the Hearthfire DLC looks pretty simple and already has a mod very similar too it (minus the adoption and things attacking your home part though).

Build Your Own Home
http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/mods/18480

I think the Hearthfire DLC is great, although for PC users it's kinda a joke.

I think a cool idea for Beth would be taking the top 5 house mods (or 3 or so) on the Nexus - and make them free, or maybe bundled with Hearthfire - that'd be cool

I thought Skyrim's ending was incredibly anti-climactic. The game doesn't really establish anything of interest in the main storyline. I know you don't really look to Elder Scrolls for deep or emotionally-invested stories, but I didn't have any personal reason to dislike Alduin any more than any other dragon, or bandit or evil wizard or anything.

My own house? You mean I can finally get a bedroom that doesn't have a horrific decapitated goat head on the wall?

Really, who chops off a goat's head and hangs it as a trophy? It's a GOAT.

Volimar

I thought Skyrim's ending was incredibly anti-climactic. The game doesn't really establish anything of interest in the main storyline. I know you don't really look to Elder Scrolls for deep or emotionally-invested stories, but I didn't have any personal reason to dislike Alduin any more than any other dragon, or bandit or evil wizard or anything.

My own house? You mean I can finally get a bedroom that doesn't have a horrific decapitated goat head on the wall?

Really, who chops off a goat's head and hangs it as a trophy? It's a GOAT.

Yeah, who needs goat heads when you can adorn your home with mudcrabs, the epitome of taste, the symbol of strength and vigor. You can't go wrong with dead crabs.

Roche

Hearthfire sounds pretty disappointing, I kind of thought all the DLC would be Dawnguard size. I dunno I guess since I've already done most of that stuff through mods there's no need for me to buy it.

cdyhybrid

I doubt anyone knows the answer, but will Hearthfire allow me to build a castle/fort type of building? Or does it have to be a regular house?

Either way I'm sure there will be a mod that will expand the features to include something like that.

Volimar

Hearthfire sounds pretty disappointing, I kind of thought all the DLC would be Dawnguard size. I dunno I guess since I've already done most of that stuff through mods there's no need for me to buy it.

On the other hand...I can afford it. So.....win! Another 20 dollar dlc would have had me on the outside looking in.

MrBig

I think it's mostly for the console guys, Bethesda bringing it over to them after liking the super popular mod that did the same thing, since MS refuses to allow any kind of mod support.

Eh...as a PC player I'm wondering whether to buy Hearthfire or not. I'm sure some new house mods (if not almost all new house mods) will maybe use some dependencies that belong only to Hearthfire.

In any case, hopefully this will be good for PC players in the long term since Bethesda only had to do 2 "exclusive 30day before PC" DLC releases, so maybe now (in my wildest dreams), PC Users can get DLC maybe quicker than console players =)

zethren

Banned
Building my own house to store my loot sounds great. I've actually only ever owned the house in Whiterun and never branched out to any of the other cities.

Eh...as a PC player I'm wondering whether to buy Hearthfire or not. I'm sure some new house mods (if not almost all new house mods) will maybe use some dependencies that belong only to Hearthfire.

In any case, hopefully this will be good for PC players in the long term since Bethesda only had to do 2 "exclusive 30day before PC" DLC releases, so maybe now (in my wildest dreams), PC Users can get DLC maybe quicker than console players =)

Those are some wild, wiiiiiiild dreams.

Well if you want to adopt children and raise them as a creep, Hearthfire is your way to go.

Volimar

Is it odd that I'm looking forward to crafting my own stuff?

I hope that house that they showed wasn't the biggest you can go. I want something akin to Battlehorn castle. I want to be a Lord of an estate, not just the owner of some house out in the middle of nowhere.

I'd love for some giant monsters to be in the game like that mudcrab.

GhaleonEB

So, I was watching the Game Jam video for fun, and to remind myself just how much has made it into the game (a LOT), when my kids come up. They'd seen the video before and were wondering why I was watching it.

I ask my older daughter if she remembers what was in it, and the first thing she says is, "My favorites were building your own house and adopting kids."

No joke.

Needless to say, watching her reaction as the Hearthfire video played was fun. I think it looks like $5 well spent.

Some things I'm wondering about.

Are all the houses the same, or are there multiple plans? Can we craft the shape/layout of the house, or is it just a matter of buying all the rooms/upgrades? Are there multiple locations we can pick from? It looks like the video shows a few.

I enjoy the combat/loot/sell loot/buy more stuff loop enough that I'll roll a new character for the house. It addresses one of my biggest issues in Skyrim, particularly for advanced characters: it's something to spend all my money on. Beyond say, level 20 the coin just piled up. I love having more to save for than I have money flowing in.

I'll use this character to knock off some of the last remaining Achievements, such as the one for getting a bounty in every hold.

Kinda weird that this house will get me back into Skyrim, but the Dawnguard quest line won't, but this one just scratches the itches I like to scratch, and Dawnguard doesn't.

Mastperf

This should have been included with Dawnguard. It was really lacking in content for how long we waited and for what they charged. I actually believed them when they said they wouldn't repeat what they did with Oblivion dlc but I can see now that they weren't being honest. Bethesda's my favorite dev but I'll readily admit that they can be full of the bulls shit.
Time for some ancient nord horse armor.

zethren

Banned
Personally, Dawnguard was very much worth the asking price to me. I only completed the quest line once, sided with the vampires, and that alone added 12 hours to my game. Plus, the quest line ended up being my absolute favorite in the entire game, with many of the new locales being some of my favorites in the game.

I can understand the price point deterring some people, absolutely, but it really was a great quest line and did add a good chunk of play time to it.

Yeah, that's probably my favorite thing from that video.

Dragon mounts. Pleeeeeeaaaaaaase.

Looks like some Heathfire screenshots were released:
http://bethsoft.com/en-us/games/hearthfire

Looks like there's only three locations you can build in: The Pale, Falkreath, or Hjaalmarch. Areas you couldn't buy player housing in before. Kind of disappointing, but I guess it was to be expected.

Here's Bethesda's developer diary on Hearthfire. So you don't have to go through that annoying age gate.

Skyrim Team Diary #6: Hearthfire

Welcome to the sixth installment of the Skyrim team diaries. Follow along as we get to know the Bethesda Game Studios team -- here and on the accompanying podcasts & videos -- with each entry bringing new details on the process of creating the most ambitious entry in The Elder Scrolls series to date.

With Skyrim's latest game add-on, players can build their own home from the ground up. Beginning with a small, one room cabin in The Pale, Falkreath, or Hjaalmarch, players can eventually construct a fully functioning home with more features than you could possibly expect.

In many ways, this house-building process is analogous to the evolution of Hearthfire's development.

Like Dawnguard, Hearthfire's inception came out of Bethesda Game Studios' first-ever "Game Jam", a weeklong exercise where members of the team shared in-game ideas for expanding Skyrim.

"When the Game Jam invitation arrived, I was looking for something different from what I'd traditionally do as a designer," lead designer, Bruce Nesmith recollected. "To make it a reality, I knew I needed an artist to tag team, so I approached Robert [Wisnewski] and we collaborated on the project that was presented to the team."

Wisnewski, an environmental artist for Skyrim, was inspired to expand upon the game's housing options in large part because of his enthusiasm for Skyrim's crafting systems.

"It started as a small idea to expand on the crafting element of the game because alchemy, smithing and enchanting were things I was interested in when we were playtesting the game," said Wisnewski.

Meanwhile Nesmith, a fan of the popular game Minecraft, wanted players to have more ways to create content in the game. "Being a fan of [Minecraft], I asked, ‘Why can't I build things in our game?'"

dqtdC.jpg

In its Game Jam reveal, the house-building feature was simple – a small cabin that included a forge for players to create objects that would then become part of the house. Even in a preliminary state, the concept was lauded by the team and became a clear candidate for future Skyrim content.

"Soon after the Game Jam, the [Skyrim] add-on ideas were being reviewed, and this was one that Todd definitely wanted to see put in the game somewhere," added Nesmith.

As 2011 came to a close, Nesmith's focus shifted to Dawnguard, and co-lead designer, Kurt Kuhlmann took an interest in further developing the project with Wisnewski.

"It was essentially the first thing I started working on for Skyrim after the Game Jam," recalls Kuhlmann. "I was actually working on it on my own time in December and throughout vacation. I just continued on with my own experimenting to see how elaborate we could get with this."

In the new year, Kuhlmann and Wisnewski continued to flesh out ways players could trick out the houses they were building: a greenhouse for growing new alchemy ingredients, mannequin displays to show off weapons and armor, and even the ability to add multiple porches to the home.

f2cym.jpg

"We even were able to add a wine cellar!" Wisnewski stated with excitement. "Anything you can think of that you'd want to have in a Skyrim house is here."

Like Wisnewski, Kuhlmann enthusiastically speaks about some of the content's features.

"I love the room with all the trophies that Robert made. He went a little nuts on that. The greenhouse is also cool, since you can grow plants inside your house, and little critters start to appear," continued Kuhlmann, "You can also get a bard. You can hire him and have him sing songs in your house. That is, until you get tired of him and then you can fire him."

Beyond creatures and crooners, Hearthfire presents players with the ability to adopt children – an idea demonstrated by level designer Steve Cornett during the Game Jam.

"The idea of adoption came to me after the Dark Brotherhood questline was presented," Cornett recalled. "After first seeing the [Innocence Lost] questline, I asked, ‘what happens to the kids? What happens to the orphanage after the quest is completed?'"

Hearthfire provided an opportunity to answer these questions, as the concept of adoption seemed a natural fit with the idea of creating a household.

"Build your own house lets you make a house and adoption lets you make it a home," explained Cornett.

DP5MZ.jpg

The end result of Cornett's work provides a new dimension of immersion to the game, as players can find various ways to interact with their children.

"Steve did a great job designing the adoption [system] and making kids in the game really come to life. Simple things like having them ask for money or playing a game with them. While these things don't necessarily have implications to my character's adventure, they do make the children feel so much more alive," added Nesmith.

The evolution of both house building and adoption through time has made Hearthfire a project the whole team is proud of.

"The actual scope of Hearthfire blows me away. It's one thing to say you're going to add these things, and it's another to see a small team build something that's so complex and rigorous and have all those pieces, " concluded Nesmith.

Lakitu

st5fu
Looking forward to this tomorrow, I'm all for more content -- however nimble it might be. Hopefully we get something meatier by the end of the year. I pray we do.

Looking forward to this tomorrow, I'm all for more content -- however nimble it might be. Hopefully we get something meatier by the end of the year. I pray we do.

In the same camp. This seems...kinda amusing. I'll wait to judge until I play with it tomorrow, but it's hard to not to look at this and think anything more than "meh."

Not surprised it has achievements and I'm hoping they are silly. You can't take this DLC too seriously. "You built a greenhouse!" doesn't seem quite as epic as "Dragonslayer."

In the same camp. This seems...kinda amusing. I'll wait to judge until I play with it tomorrow, but it's hard to not to look at this and think anything more than "meh."

Not surprised it has achievements and I'm hoping they are silly. You can't take this DLC too seriously. "You built a greenhouse!" doesn't seem quite as epic as "Dragonslayer."

It does if it plays the "ABSORBED DRAGON SOUL"-music when you unlock it.

cdyhybrid

I wonder if I should wait to pick it up until some mods come out building on it. I don't want to build a house, I want to build a castle/fortress.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
So I haven't played in months, I get the last patch, load my last game, and I'm in the menu with a book on screen and a message that says I can't put that many books in a shelf, and I'm stuck there. I can do nothing to exit the menu. Ugh.

edit: nm, somehow got out of it.

Top Bottom