• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim |OT2| Team Edward's Revenge

Semblance

shhh Graham I'm still compiling this Radiant map
Wrapped up the Thieves Guild chain tonight. Gotta say, nothing about that entire chain synced up for me. I felt nothing for the characters.
I could never sympathize with Karliah and Mercer was a lousy villain.
On top of that as you progress it quickly becomes
less about thievin' and more about revenge, with Nightingale yawnage thrown on top of that.
I dunno. Not really what I expected, so perhaps that's why I'm disappointed, but damn.

Drazgul

I've found the shouts to be quite underwhelming in general. Every time you'd actually have a use for the disarm one, for example, the enemy is too strong for it. Don't use anything else except the sprint and seldom the crowd control ice one.

okenny

Banned
So I'm duel wielding Daedric maces (Legendary). Same exact shit, no enchants. I'm fighting a Draugr Deathlord, he shouts me, disarming me. I equip two other weaker weapons in my inventory, then killing him. Now I look back into my inventory and only have one of my Daedric maces. I'm pretty pissed off now. Anyone know how to fix this?

I'm not sure if you trying to say if it's a bug or not but I don't believe it needs fixing. There are powerful enemies with shouts that'll knock weapons out of your hands (hence out of your inventory). Believe me, I know how much it sucks having to look for the weapon afterwords. The same thing happen to me when I was doing the Forbidden Legends quest-line
where I had to fight two of three very powerful spirits at the end. Th second boss had an Unrelenting Voice shout that hit me so hard that it it knocked me into 3rd person view and left me stunned on the ground for a moment. When I came to, my war ax was gone from my right had. I had to search a pile of like 10 dead Draugr bodies in a shallow pool for 20 minutes before I found my ax again. I had to use my own shout to re-scatter the bodies a couple of times before finding the ax under a Draugr's body

Gila

This looks so sick

yj67U.jpg

Gila

What bow is that, and does the mask come with the set? Mm can't wait.

Not my character, but this is apparently the setup

Name: Lilith
Race: Nord
Armor: Nightingale set (awarded during thieves guild questline near the end)
Weapon: (glass bow + glass arrows)
Notable plugins: None.
Nightingale Skull Mask texture + glass weaponset - obsidan complete (changes green glass to black)

okenny

Banned
Wrapped up the Thieves Guild chain tonight. Gotta say, nothing about that entire chain synced up for me. I felt nothing for the characters.
less about thievin' and more about revenge, with Nightingale yawnage thrown on top of that.
I dunno. Not really what I expected, so perhaps that's why I'm disappointed, but damn.

I figured as much... I think that quest-line will be my least favorite. I had a bad feeling about it. My only hopes are that the acheivement description that states "Restore the thiefs guild to its former glory" allows me a chance to be a cheiverous thief like the Gray Mask (remember him :D) and that maybe if I go in with lower expectations then I may fair better than you :/

I'm still trying to find a way to finish some quest without hurting people I've befriended already... I'm still holding off on the whole reverse-picking starting quest

Compared to Cyrodille, Skyrim has some really shitty towns and even shittier people! One of the Jarls wanted me to go kill a random giant just to let them know whose boss and not because they were causing him problems. It's the first mission form a Jarl I've declined.

Mindlog

Compared to Cyrodille, Skyrim has some really shitty towns and even shittier people! One of the Jarls wanted me to go kill a random giant just to let them know whose boss and not because they were causing him problems. It's the first mission form a Jarl I've declined.
When you go to that site it's pretty easy to spot why that bounty was put into effect.
Morekei is insanely tough. Yikes!

God dammit, I had the mother fucker but got hit with the shout bug twice. Sigh. He was at 15% tops, if it had let me slow time he was done for. Ugh, first time a bug has legitimately frustrated me.
!

Aaron

I've found the shouts to be quite underwhelming in general. Every time you'd actually have a use for the disarm one, for example, the enemy is too strong for it. Don't use anything else except the sprint and seldom the crowd control ice one.
Slowing down time works on all enemies so far. Calming animals is pretty good when you just don't want to deal with them. Going intangible is good for getting out quick to heal yourself from a distance... actually, I like most of them.

Derrick01

Banned

Yup I was disappointed by it too. Nothing like the last mission of the Oblivion thieves guild and you didn't get any fun items like the super jump and no fall damage boots. In fact the 3 guilds I did on my first playthrough were not as good as their Oblivion counterparts, but I haven't done the mages yet and I'd be surprised if they could make the questline worse than Oblivion's.

Rookie

Neo Member

I disagree, even unrelenting shout can knock and stagger a dragon. As a sneaky Wood elf the aura whisper for sneaking around a dungeon has been exceptionally useful.

Jintor

I still hold that freezing people who are leaping at you is the most consistantly amusing Shout as they fly past you into walls or off cliffs.

Demon Ice

Banned
Pretty sure I have my game breaking bug here.

Quest is Diplomatic Immunity. The contact you are supposed to meet in
Solitude
is not spawning. His quest marker has also disappeared. Before I quit the game last time, the quest marker was there.

Also, I've noticed that if I try to load any other save while in game, the game locks up. Any advice?

matt05891

Pretty sure I have my game breaking bug here.

Quest is Diplomatic Immunity. The contact you are supposed to meet in
Solitude
is not spawning. His quest marker has also disappeared. Before I quit the game last time, the quest marker was there.

Also, I've noticed that if I try to load any other save while in game, the game locks up. Any advice?

What platform are you playing on? If you're on 360; try clearing the cache. Maybe it will work to at least load an older save.

GhaleonEB

There's no surer way to get killed in Skyrim than to say some variation of, "I've been hunting and fishing in this place for years!"

Not any longer, old man.

Demon Ice

Banned
What platform are you playing on? If you're on 360; try clearing the cache. Maybe it will work to at least load an older save.

It's on PC. I'm validating the cache files through Steam right now. No idea what could be causing it, the game was playing fine when I saved and quit earlier. I've tried every auto save and quick save during that quest, no go. My next closest save is a couple hours and 2 levels back :/

Kind of funny that this is a huge battle yet Im running around with a couple of dudes at most on some missions, I dont know I wish I could see these epic battles, even if were in the background or something.

Dragnet

Ha, fought an invisible Dragon today, named one too, and won :D

Saw him for a split second then his texture just disappeared, kept ice blasting me so I knew he was still around. Waited til he was ice blasting from the ground and kept slashing away until the glorious kill animation. Looked so cool, jumping around and repeatedly stabbing the invisible dragon >:D

Had my first big WTF moment in this game today when I fast traveled somewhere and got immediately set upon by THREE dragons at once.

I took them all out since they took turns circling without attacking but it was pretty manic for a little while.

This is a great game, I'm liking it more than Oblivion and I spent 100 hours with that game in 2006.

Echoplx

It's on PC. I'm validating the cache files through Steam right now. No idea what could be causing it, the game was playing fine when I saved and quit earlier. I've tried every auto save and quick save during that quest, no go. My next closest save is a couple hours and 2 levels back :/

You're in luck then, what's the contacts name? If you can find his ID on the wiki than you can use a console command to place him at you.

Drazgul

I disagree, even unrelenting shout can knock and stagger a dragon. As a sneaky Wood elf the aura whisper for sneaking around a dungeon has been exceptionally useful.

True, they're probably much better for that type of playstyle. My approach in the first playthtough has been of the HULK SMASH! variety, dishing out as much damage as quickly as possible. Most fights are over in seconds.

Jintor

My colleague has taken to teleporting to Whiterun, enabling godmode, and spawning hundreds of dragons.

/edit and by hundreds I mean 20 before the game crashes

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
Enchanted a set of 4 items that give me 28% increase in my Alchemic ability (with maxed out base Enchantment perk and a potion that raises my Enchanting ability by 30%). That with most of the perks chosen for Alchemy (mainly the base Alchemy skill) I can make a potion that heals me for 198 Health, a One-Handed ability potion that raises my skill by 120%, a poison that can paralyze someone for 24 seconds etc. Shit's awesome. On average each potion I make at this level will yield a potion that can sell for 800 gold, a couple of good ones at 1.1K and the really good ones at 3K gold.

Morokh

There is a really neat thing about the bounty system, and that is if you kill all the witnesses of your crime, your bounty is canceled :D

Happened to me in the wilds when I came across two guys fighting, I wanted to help, took a swing at the bad guy but hit the wrong guy, the games indicates a bounty for the reach, I end up killing both, and the game indicates that my bounty disappeared because I killed every witness.

dalin80

Banned
Have now finished the mage, main and fighters quest lines.

As a whole I found them to be very short and lacking in story and interesting events, all 3 also suffered from weak endings and poor rewards.

As fun as the game is when it isn't crashing the storylines have been utterly neglected.

Wallach

As a whole I found them to be very short and lacking in story and interesting events, all 3 also suffered from weak endings and poor rewards.

As fun as the game is when it isn't crashing the storylines have been utterly neglected.

I haven't done the main or Companions quest lines, but I quite liked the College line. It certainly does not have poor rewards, in either case.

eek5

I'm finding the journey to be a lot of fun for all of the factions but the endings are kind of weak. Most of the NPCs don't even acknowledge that you've reached the end afterwards and still treat your like a new recruit.

dalin80

Banned
I haven't done the main or Companions quest lines, but I quite liked the College line. It certainly does not have poor rewards, in either case.

you get handed the college in a utterly uninspired way, the college itself is no where near as detailed or fulfilling as oblivions mages guild, in many ways its quite a unpleasant place to be, you gain a few generic spells on the way but nothing interesting and the main reward is a jack of all trades robe which would be very useful for a full mage character if it didn't look utterly appalling. Oblivions mage questline was much more fun and involving with nice unique rewards and bonuses.

I'm finding the journey to be a lot of fun for all of the factions but the endings are kind of weak. Most of the NPCs don't even acknowledge that you've reached the end afterwards and still treat your like a new recruit.

Nothing is more disappointing than the main quests in this regard.
It had no real ending or closure at all. It felt like I had just completed any random side quest.

I really like this game, but the writing and story design isn't very good, even when compared to past Bethesda games.

Log4Girlz

God damn does this game piss me off sometimes. Just fought some boss in the Labyrinthian who could two shot me with a lightning attack. I had to sit on a perch and waste over 70 arrows on the bastard. Is there a specific level I'm supposed to be doing this at? I can't imagine anyone other than a thief being able to take him down easily. Not to mention the tons of ice mages I had to fight to get to him. Why is everyone in this game an ice mage? It wouldn't bother me if they didn't slow you every time they peg you with one of those damn ice spikes so I feel like I'm trudging through molasses just to get close enough to hack them to death.

I beat the shit out of him...I'm level 32 with smithing at 100 and a full daedric set and a daedric mace of awesome.

eek5

you get handed the college in a utterly uninspired way, the college itself is no where near as detailed or fulfilling as oblivions mages guild, in many ways its quite a unpleasant place to be, you gain a few generic spells on the way but nothing interesting and the main reward is a jack of all trades robe which would be very useful for a full mage character if it didn't look utterly appalling. Oblivions mage questline was much more fun and involving with nice unique rewards and bonuses.

I think we had a trade off: better side quests/dungeons in return for weaker faction quests. The sidequests/dungeons in Oblivion were awful in comparison. I think it was worth it but still kind of disappointing when faction quests just dead end and don't really feel that rewarding.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Damn this game and it's bugs. Windhelm/Stormcloaks/Property stuff...

I won the right to buy the house and did so before I solved the murder mystery. Now there is blood and bones and shit in my house. Now I am going through the two Stormcloak missions to win the right to buying the house again AFTER having completed the murder mystery again, just to see if I will have a clean house if I do it in that order. If I don't... WTF Bethesda I get the blood & guts house of the town slasher?

Edit: Aaaand it didn't fix it.

Wallach

I don't like how the line actually ends either, but I quite like the path of events leading up to the ending. Mainly because the Staff of Magnus is a recurring artifact and it was interesting to see other relics of Magnus still influencing the world. I imagine most people probably don't know a lot about the lore though, which is fair.

The robe at the end is probably the best chest piece in the game for pure mages, and along the way you get the Staff of Magnus and the Morokei mask. Can't say I agree with you on the looks, but that's a bit of an aside really.

I definitely think the Oblivion line was quite a bit longer and involved more variety, but also had a pretty shitty ending because of the way Mannimarco was handled. I do think they should have implemented more spells to gain; with the lack of the ability to create spells it was more important here than it was in Oblivion (where I really didn't give a shit).

dalin80

Banned
I think we had a trade off: better side quests/dungeons in return for weaker faction quests. The sidequests/dungeons in Oblivion were awful in comparison. I think it was worth it but still kind of disappointing when faction quests just dead end and don't really feel that rewarding.

Agreed, the side-quests as a whole are much more involving, out of all I have done 'The forbidden legend' was one of the most interesting thanks to the backstory given in the various books and journals along the way.

GlamFM

Banned
Got the nightingale armor yesterday. So awesome.

Don´t think I´m going to use anything else for the rest of this epic game.

Mik2121

Man, every time I go to the Companions building and that girl says "Oh, hey there. I killed a bear today, did you kill anything?" it makes me want to tell her "not yet, but you might as well be my first victim". So annoying. I mean, yeah, bears are strong but I just came from killing a bunch of witches or whatever, a bear is some serious easy cake.

The Thieves Guild and College of Winterhold have pretty good gear rewards, the problem is that any unique armor is useless late game when you can smith/enchant stuff on your own that's vastly better in every way. Do those quest lines early enough and they have stuff worth using.

Top Bottom