• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim |OT2| Team Edward's Revenge

Just off the top of my head.

Duel wielding is fun.
Can cast spells from both hands and combine different spells.
Can use L or R hand for weapons and shields.
Archery is now worth a damn.
* Hunting is now about more than stalking prey and selling skins. Now you can tan those skins to create or upgrade armor.
* Mining and blacksmithing are great additions. Mine for ore, refine the ore into ingots, and use ingots to create or upgrade multiple armor types. You can even craft jewelry.
* No more item durability so no need to repair items.
* Ditched attributes except for Health/Magic/Stamina. Perks absolutely change the nature of progression. Instead of getting a +1 to this or a +4 to that, perks tend to invite new gameplay opportunities or at least increase your abilities in a tangible way.
* You don't have to spend your perk points when you level up. You can keep a few on hand to help out when needed.
* Enchanting doesn't use spells you know to work, but instead relies upon disenchanting other magical items to learn their effects. This means you don't have to be a caster to develop your enchanting.
* Sprint.
* Shout powers.
* Jumping no longer drains stamina.
* Dragons are more fun than Oblivion gates.
* Animations have been completely overhauled and look great. Third person view is also much, much better this time around.
* Dungeons feel hand crafted.
* In comparison to Oblivion draw distance and load times seem to be much better across the board.
* In comparison to Oblivion the world scaling actually works.
* Beautiful world map for a beautiful world.
* Better UI for managing items/equipment/map/quests.
* Better rewards for clearing dungeons and killing boss enemies.

My only actual gripes:

* The favorite item system is too clunky and limited. We need more presets and we need to be able to set what is equipped to both hands consistently.
* I preferred the Oblivion lock picking system. If you had the patience you could tackle master locks very early on. It felt more like its own mini-game than Skyrim's random lockpick breaking simulator.

SpudBud

Ran into a funny bug.

Meridia vs Frost Dragon
tesv.exe_2011-11-22-0768yv.jpg

tesv.exe_2011-11-22-0hc8xw.jpg

Khezu

SON OF A BITCH! It happened again!

Bethesda fix this shit.. Now I'm stuck with Rjorn's Drum. I thought the quest item bug only occurred if you got the item before starting the actual quest. However, this time I got stuck with the item despite taking on the quest properly.

I'm now stuck with more than 30 pounds of quest items that should be gone from my inventory.. Can't wait to see how the game screws me over with the 'Unusual Gem'. Hopefully that's not bugged. I'm tempted to skip all sidequests and finish the main story.. Thanks for ruining the game with this unforgivable bugs Bethesda.

I have heard quest items don't actually weigh anything, despite what they say.

okenny

Banned
SON OF A BITCH! It happened again!

Bethesda fix this shit.. Now I'm stuck with Rjorn's Drum. I thought the quest item bug only occurred if you got the item before starting the actual quest. However, this time I got stuck with the item despite taking on the quest properly.

I'm now stuck with more than 30 pounds of quest items that should be gone from my inventory.. Can't wait to see how the game screws me over with the 'Unusual Gem'. Hopefully that's not bugged. I'm tempted to skip all sidequests and finish the main story.. Thanks for ruining the game with this unforgivable bugs Bethesda.

I've been really confused about this but from what I can tell (still a little confused and too lazy to do a proper test) it seems that as long as something is identified as a quest item, its weight isn't added to your overall inventory weight.

nib95

Banned
Same way with smaller souls, except you need to kill bigger targets. Cast Soul Trap, either the spell or via an Enchanted weapon with Soul Trap on it, and then kill them. Their soul will go to the smallest container that can house it (i.e., if you have one Gem of each type and kill a Common enemy, it'll go to the Common Soul Gem). If you don't have their proper Soul Gem, it'll go to the next smallest (i.e., same Common enemy but no Common Soul Gem so it goes into a Greater).

How do I caste soul trap? I don't see it in my magic list anywhere.

Wallach

How do I caste soul trap? I don't see it in my magic list anywhere.

You would have to learn the spell first. You'll need to find and read a Spell Tome: Soul Trap, which you can get from one of the vendors at the College.

Alternatively, you can get a weapon enchanted with the ability to cast it on strike and use it to land the killing blow.

Boggles my mind
... how can a person play that way... bad genes perhaps :(

some games come preset like this. if you've played too many games with inverted controls, you'll have problems going back. it's strange that a 2011 blockbuster game doesn't have that option.

Luthos

What the hell is up with the frost cave to the east of Falkreath? I've crashed (to desktop) about 4 times in it, and it's not even a full-sized dungeon.

Now, every time I load the game, the split second it loads it crashes back to desktop.

Is this the cave of crashing?

Forkball

Argh, crash right as I landed the final blow on a dragon. COME ON BETHESDA. At least I can do cool stuff like this.

2FE983141F22C30B65EBF6464370C660C7CCF9A7

You know what happens next. I love it when it happens on boss characters. You can even pick up their head.

Also, has anyone run into some random bard called Talsmer the Wanderer or something? I've ran into him three times and every time he has been WRECKING bandits. He even joined me on a dragon fight once. When I stumbled upon him the second time, he was glowing as if from a spell and two dead bandits were next to him. I dare not enter battle with him.

My God. Each singular quest could be a game all to its own. The amount of data and detail and scope of each quest is insane.

I almost can't believe that they did this.

I think it's fair to say that, even with the glitches and bugs in the game currently, in a few months this game will be nearly perfect in all aspects.

Kaako

Felium Defensor
The main theme is so freaking beast. Every single time it would kick in with a dragon encounter I would get pumped as hell and ready to slay a dragon. So hype.

Vire

How could anyone pick the Imperials? They wanted to lop your head off at the start of the game! Not to mention one of their allies support the suppression of one of our most basic rights - the right to practice religion. Thalmor are like Nazi's.

Sure the alternative isn't great, but it's certainly the lesser of evils.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
My God. Each singular quest could be a game all to its own. The amount of data and detail and scope of each quest is insane.

I almost can't believe that they did this.

Playing skyrim really makes me realize what a daunting task oblivon was. Didn't they say ONE guy made the dungeons and stuff there? I can understand the copy paste now. The fact that everything here is different is seriously mindblowing.

Darkman M

How could anyone pick the Imperials? They wanted to lop your head off at the start of the game! Not to mention one of their allies support the suppression of one of our most basic rights - the right to practice religion. Thalmor are like Nazi's.

I play Redguard and Stormcloaks are racist, so i think im gonna roll with the imperials.

Forkball

Is there a neutral/kill 'em all option? I want to see the quest line but I don't particularly like either side.

Vire

Is there a neutral/kill 'em all option? I want to see the quest line but I don't particularly like either side.

Nope, they want you to make a tough choice. They made each side detestable on purpose.

That way we would argue on internet forums about which side is better.

ajf009

Also, has anyone run into some random bard called Talsmer the Wanderer or something? I've ran into him three times and every time he has been WRECKING bandits. He even joined me on a dragon fight once. When I stumbled upon him the second time, he was glowing as if from a spell and two dead bandits were next to him. I dare not enter battle with him.

I mentioned in the first OT that I ran across him. But when I did he had just killed about 3 bandits and was stuck in his fighting stance, so I couldn't talk to him at all

Mindlog

I've got an arrow stuck in my head. How do I get rid of it? It just won't go.
Stay in first person view and go get shot by more arrows. Worked for me.

There is an unmentioned crisis in, Skyrim. The great leek famine devastating the land. Every time I find grilled leeks I feel like killing the perpetrator. I can't make more stew without leeks. I will ruin the land with my hatred unless more leeks are produced.

Ulfric is Thalmor puppet. He will be eliminated in the great leek purges to come.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
I play Redguard and Stormcloaks are racist, so i think im gonna roll with the imperials.
Talk to a couple Thalmor and see how you like them. Make sure you do it near a Jarl so they don't try to kill you right then and there. Stormcloaks don't like anyone who could be a spy, but they aren't genocidal. There is a big difference between holding aggression as a defense mechanism and systematically subverting an empire to fall under your oppression.

hitmon

I mentioned in the first OT that I ran across him. But when I did he had just killed about 3 bandits and was stuck in his fighting stance, so I couldn't talk to him at all

He attacked
Rolaf (Referring to the prisoner that talks in the very beginning of the game) after a civil war mission for me. Rolaf and him were fighting after the Civil War mission and we ended up killing him.
That wanderer is now dead in my game..

The Empire abandoned Hammerfell to the Aldmeri Dominion and the Thalmor, Redguards are probably the only non Nord race that makes sense to join the Stormcloaks. The Stormcloaks only seem to distrust Elves and the Mer anyway.

Jtrizzy

Even though I've never played an rpg before, (I guess Zelda on NES counts) this game looks like it would awesome on my new pc. I have a 3dtv too and some say the 3d is good.

Also curious how good controller support is...I suck at kb/m.

DO NOT FORGET that if you leave your stuff in a container (such as that dorm room) for more than 72 ingame hours, it may vanish. According to forum people at least. You have to buy a house. :(

if you escape with the stormcloak dude at the start of the game you can store stuff in his sister's house. i had stuff in a barrel there for ages, some of it started getting marked red but taking it didn't trigger theft and it reverted back to white. that's where i was dumping all mine until i got a house.

Meier

Morekei is insanely tough. Yikes!

God dammit, I had the mother fucker but got hit with the shout bug twice. Sigh. He was at 15% tops, if it had let me slow time he was done for. Ugh, first time a bug has legitimately frustrated me.

calder

Just get shot by more arrows or other projectiles. I had an arrow stuck in my head for a long while.

I had some ice blast's stuck beside my head for a couple of hours. So annoying.

I think to get rid of any stuck projectiles just get shot by an arrow *while in first person view*. It's a bug that I think happens when you switch views while getting shot, at least that's what seemed to trigger it for me. I got bounced by a frost mage while sneaking around in third person view and went first person to land a spell and didn't realize the giant fucking icicle was stuck through my neck until later.

Jubs

It's pretty funny listening to the Stormcloaks talk shit about the elves, when I'm standing right there (I'm a high elf). I even joined their fucking uprising, at least give me some respect.

Wallach

The Thalmor are not really allies with the Imperials. The Imperials entered a treaty with the Thalmor to prevent their entire empire from being destroyed, which would have put Cyrodiil under the rule of the Aldmeri Dominion. The banning of Talos worship is one of the terms the Thalmor are using specifically because Talos (i.e. Tiber Septim) led to the conquering of the last great elven empire. The Imperials obviously object to the terms of the White-Gold Concordat, but to refuse the terms would be to put into jeopardy the entirety of the Imperial empire. The Thalmor know this, and knew that the terms would splinter the Imperial empire from their allies - proven first by the people of Hammerfell.

The Nords are shortsighted and foolish to fight a war with the Imperials; it works only to the benefit of the Thalmor and the Aldmeri Dominion. They want to protect their land but they will only leave her with fewer allies when the time comes to fight the real war. The Thalmor are simply looking to weaken the territories further so that they can conquer them individually rather than again lose a war to united armies of men.

* Hunting is now about more than stalking prey and selling skins. Now you can tan those skins to create or upgrade armor.
* Mining and blacksmithing are great additions. Mine for ore, refine the ore into ingots, and use ingots to create or upgrade multiple armor types. You can even craft jewelry.
* No more item durability so no need to repair items.
* Ditched attributes except for Health/Magic/Stamina. Perks absolutely change the nature of progression. Instead of getting a +1 to this or a +4 to that, perks tend to invite new gameplay opportunities or at least increase your abilities in a tangible way.
* You don't have to spend your perk points when you level up. You can keep a few on hand to help out when needed.
* Enchanting doesn't use spells you know to work, but instead relies upon disenchanting other magical items to learn their effects. This means you don't have to be a caster to develop your enchanting.
* Sprint.
* Shout powers.
* Jumping no longer drains stamina.
* Dragons are more fun than Oblivion gates.
* Animations have been completely overhauled and look great. Third person view is also much, much better this time around.
* Dungeons feel hand crafted.
* In comparison to Oblivion draw distance and load times seem to be much better across the board.
* In comparison to Oblivion the world scaling actually works.
* Beautiful world map for a beautiful world.
* Better UI for managing items/equipment/map/quests.
* Better rewards for clearing dungeons and killing boss enemies.

My only actual gripes:

* The favorite item system is too clunky and limited. We need more presets and we need to be able to set what is equipped to both hands consistently.
* I preferred the Oblivion lock picking system. If you had the patience you could tackle master locks very early on. It felt more like its own mini-game than Skyrim's random lockpick breaking simulator.

I agree with all of this. As far as the favorite item system; I'm guessing you're on console? Because for pc there are controller mods that allow for 8 hotkeys (4 d-pad buttons, and in combination with RB for 4 more).

Mothman91

So I'm duel wielding Daedric maces (Legendary). Same exact shit, no enchants. I'm fighting a Draugr Deathlord, he shouts me, disarming me. I equip two other weaker weapons in my inventory, then killing him. Now I look back into my inventory and only have one of my Daedric maces. I'm pretty pissed off now. Anyone know how to fix this?

Top Bottom