• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The "Fable 3 PC comes out on May 17th and nobody cares" thread |OT|

Zimbardo

its good to see Microsoft releasing it on platforms like Steam and Direct2Drive. its the first smart thing i've seen them do in a long time when it comes to PC gaming. the Microsoft games marketplace is pretty terrible ...its pretty low key, with terrible selection and terrible prices.

i hope MS release all their games on Steam, D2D, etc. they'll be doing themselves a favor by doing so.

anyway, of the Fable series, i only played thru Fable 2 and enjoyed it enough to be interested in playing part 3. i'll get it someday, but right now there's just too many other games that interest me more.

by the time i get around to caring about Fable 3, its regular price will probably be $19. i'll get it then.

Huff

Banned
boundedseven said:
I'm 6 hours into Fable 2 (GOTY edition) and not really feeling the love. Story seems slow and the jobs seem kinda annoying. Tell me it gets better.

Not really. Story for all the Fable games are pretty meh and the job system doesn't get any less annoying and tedious. I don't remember it being a very long game, so I finished it despite being bored. Maybe thats the good part of it being easy, you can breeze through it and beat the game after the enjoyment of the world/setting/humor wears off.

vocab

Exuro said:
Yeah why in the world are they releasing it the same day as TW2? Makes absolutely no sense.

thumb463x_petermolyneuxhandpicsad.jpg

I'll be grabbing the PC revision, eventually. In defense of Fable 3, the core gameplay is miles better than the ice skating pukefest that was Fable 2. A little light on content but it's still my favorite Fable.

The funny thing is Fable 3 could easily end up outselling The Witcher 2 in the long run. Remember that GAF's reception is not indicative of the broader market and Fable has always been popular with female gamers and The Sims crowd. Also, the first Fable is still being sold.

dc89

Hmm and people wonder why theres a lack of faith with Fable games.

Here are two of my favourite fibs from the Fable series and they come from the first game:

Plant an acorn as a kid, go back when your an adult and it will be a oak tree.

Engrave your name into a tree, it will stay there forever.

Exuro said:
Yeah why in the world are they releasing it the same day as TW2? Makes absolutely no sense.
Microsoft juggernaut will crush Polish mediocrity. PC Gamers are begging for our games.

**Don Mattrick Grin**
What the hell are they really thinking over there? Is it one small group begging them to pay attention to PC Gaming and this is a higher-ups attempt to shut them up?

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
How did Fable:TLC sell on PC? I know TW1 sold more than 1.5 million. I wouldn't be surprised if TW2 does much better, especially considering there is alot more hype for the sequel.

Haint

They want the port to fail financially so they can use it as an excuse to kill future 360 ports and probably to bitch about piracy.

Zzoram

So MS chooses to release their mediocre console port on the same day as the PC RPG of the year? It's probably so they can say that PC gaming is dead when Fable 3 doesn't sell well.

1-D_FTW

Zzoram said:
So MS chooses to release their mediocre console port on the same day as the PC RPG of the year? It's probably so they can say that PC gaming is dead when Fable 3 doesn't sell well.

Honestly, I doubt it needs any help in the sabotage department. Is there any day on the calander when this would sell well? If it was the latest Halo or Forza and sold badly, they'd have a point. This is going to bomb. Personally, I won't even buy when it inevitably hits 5 dollars in some sale.

Albion is always a fun, daft world with its exaggerated Britishness. In terms of pure game play, Fable III is the worst in the series. It’s awful that the hero requires many seals to use dyes, expressions among other functions. That’s a lot of work so you can learn to fart. Additionally the sanctuary interface slows down the game. In comparison I really enjoyed Fable II because it allows the player to experiment more.

Huff

Banned
REMEMBER CITADEL said:
The funny thing is Fable 3 could easily end up outselling The Witcher 2 in the long run. Remember that GAF's reception is not indicative of the broader market and Fable has always been popular with female gamers and The Sims crowd. Also, the first Fable is still being sold.

Considering its on both console and PC, no doubt.

PC only, Witcher 2 by a landslide.

BroHuffman said:
Considering its on both console and PC, no doubt.

PC only, Witcher 2 by a landslide.

I meant on PC only, of course. Not saying it will happen, mind you, but it's possible and it would be funny if it did.

Huff

Banned
REMEMBER CITADEL said:
I meant on PC only, of course. Not saying it will happen, mind you, but it's possible and it would be funny if it did.

Funny or sad and depressing?

wit3tyg3r

Castor Krieg said:
I think we already established that Microsoft doesn't give crap about PC gaming.

Which is funny because the vast majority of PC gaming is done on Windows...I think they should care a lot bit.

wit3tyg3r said:
Which is funny because the vast majority of PC gaming is done on Windows...I think they should care a lot bit.
Some of them do, but the Xbox division got a little bit bigger and therefore more important for Mattrick, who runs the thing.

donmattrickxuh3.gif

1-D_FTW

REMEMBER CITADEL said:

Not seeing it. Even if you were to go purely by sales #s and not revenue, that ignores the fact Witcher 2 will have a huge tail when it comes to Steam sales in the coming years. It's not like Witcher 1 was some cult hit. It shifted major units.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Honestly, it isn't the release date that kills my enthusiasm, it is all the DRM stuffed into the Steam release.

1-D_FTW said:
Not seeing it. Even if you were to go purely by sales #s and not revenue, that ignores the fact Witcher 2 will have a huge tail when it comes to Steam sales in the coming years. It's not like Witcher 1 was some cult hit. It shifted major units.

This is just as potentially true for Fable 3 as it is The Witcher 2, nevermind that both are available on their own respective DD services, GFWL and GoG.

ArjanN

Hylian7 said:

On a side note, why is Fable 1 not on Steam yet?

Well, you get Fable 1 if you pre-order Fable 3 but I'm not sure if that version of Fable 1 will be on steam.

I think the PC version of Fable 3 will be a substantial upgrade compared to the console version though.

I wish someone would do a behind-the-scenes writeup on what actually happened during Fable's development.

All those years making the game, then it came out and seemed like it was thrown together at the last second. Most of the areas they showed off in screenshots were either completely missing or had bits and pieces plucked out and stitched together, like they were just trying to salvage what they could to scrape together a full game.

Confidence Man said:
I wish someone would do a behind-the-scenes writeup on what actually happened during Fable's development.

All those years making the game, then it came out and seemed like it was thrown together at the last second. Most of the areas they showed off in screenshots were either completely missing or had bits and pieces plucked out and stitched together, like they were just trying to salvage what they could to scrape together a full game.

There you go.

Fable III is such a great game. Too bad so many of you like to shit on it. I'm sure a good portion of you haven't even played it and just listen to way-too-loud people on GAF.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
SalsaShark said:
cant wait for that 5 bucks sale
I will do the same but may get it at 10. The Witcher 2 is a valid point, it's miles and miles better than Fable III (from the look of things).

I would buy Fable 2 for a good 20 though, loved that one.

FateBreaker said:
Fable III is such a great game. Too bad so many of you like to shit on it. I'm sure a good portion of you haven't even played it and just listen to way-too-loud people on GAF.
I've played it and I didn't like it as much as Fable II. It wasn't finished when they released the game and you could see that.

AEREC

Complistic said:
lol releasing it the same day as The Witcher 2. They probably want $60 for it too, when TW2 is $45.

I really dont see the big deal...it's not like the Witcher is some huge AAA PC release on par with Half Life or Battlefield...but it seems everyone is treating it like it is.

I love the Witcher but it seems like a very hardcore game, whereas Fable has more mainstream appeal...I really dont get the "oh no it's going up against the Witcher" vibe this forum is throwing out.

Also Fable 3 is $50 on PC, pretty standard.

REMEMBER CITADEL said:

That doesn't really tell us anything at all about what happened during development. Not only that, some of the conclusions are pretty questionable. For example:

"True to Big Blue Box's intentions, the world of Albion was huge and allowed the player to go anywhere and do anything."

What game did they play? The world in Fable was fucking tiny, made up of a bunch of narrow paths. That was not their original intention. Look through the older screenshots, as late as April 2003 there was an entirely different game they were showing off.

brotkasten said:
I've played it and I didn't like it as much as Fable II. It wasn't finished when they released the game and you could see that.

OK, but despite that, it is still a good game. Of course, this is subjective, but some of you talk about it as a disaster. I don't see how it's any worse (technically) than Fallout or TES.

I think people just get pissed at how less and less it is "hardcore." It makes genuine attempts to appeal to other audiences -- and it succeeds.

JimboJones

Recently played through the game, was a big fan of fable 2 and I really enjoyed fable 3.

I don't really get what people are on about gameplay changes near the end of the game though. There was none.

Only thing that buged me is they managed to make it even more buggier experiance than fable 2, weird random slow motion and it gets pretty bad when in a coop game.
Sometimes the charachter animation just stops so i end up skating around the world or parts of the hud vanish.

Despite that i still had fun with it always enjoy the atmosphere and the charchters in the fable world.

Confidence Man said:
What game did they play? The world in Fable was fucking tiny, made up of a bunch of narrow paths. That was not their original intention. Look through the older screenshots, as late as April 2003 there was an entirely different game they were showing off.

I don't know about it being tiny, but it's true that the inability to stray off the path was infuriating. That and the fact that each area was very small with loading screens in between were the only two things I hated about it.

1-D_FTW

jaundicejuice said:
This is just as potentially true for Fable 3 as it is The Witcher 2, nevermind that both are available on their own respective DD services, GFWL and GoG.

Yeah. I know. He was talking about how Fable would win the tortoise and the hare race because how popular it was with casuals. Just pointing out that Witcher 2 wasn't going to blow its load at release and drop off the map.

bengraven

Seriously, why are people even trying to compared Witcher and Fable. They're not even in the same genre: Witcher is an action-CRPG. Fable is an action-sim game.

FateBreaker said:

As someone who patiently and impatiently waited for the first Fable, seriously planning on having one of the greatest games in my hand, and then later buying Fable 2 while very disappointed, but later actually ended up liking it, I was really really not excited for Fable 3.

I finally picked it up on Gamefly and had it for 2 months.

In that two months, I played exactly 2 hours.

bengraven said:
Seriously, why are people even trying to compared Witcher and Fable. They're not even in the same genre: Witcher is an action-CRPG. Fable is an action-sim game.

As someone who patiently and impatiently waited for the first Fable, seriously planning on having one of the greatest games in my hand, and then later buying Fable 2 while very disappointed, but later actually ended up liking it, I was really really not excited for Fable 3.

I finally picked it up on Gamefly and had it for 2 months.

In that two months, I played exactly 2 hours.

Well then I guess you should continue playing it? I mean, you were initially disappointed with F2, just like F3. But you ended up liking F2.

kamspy

I rented this game on 360. Please, don't buy it. Go with the theme of the thread. It's probably worth it at $5. Even if they fix all the shit in the 360 version.

The only reason people are mentioning The Witcher 2 is because Microsoft decided to release Fable 3 on what ended up being the same day.

bengraven

FateBreaker said:
Well then I guess you should continue playing it? I mean, you were initially disappointed with F2, just like F3. But you ended up liking F2.

Fable 2 was pretty awesome at the beginning.

I take it back, it wasn't two hours, btw. I got to the underground tram area. That's like 3 or 4 maybe?

Regardless, there's a reason I call this game "UI: The Game".

Blueblur1

FateBreaker said:
No, I played it and encountered every single documented bug. Oh, I endured the terrible design decisions. Trust me, it's shit.

Top Bottom