• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Final Fantasy 16 PC Trailer fucking slabs

TheAssist

I've already played it last year, but man. This trailer makes me hyped again haha. Probably better than any of the old trailers (and those were still really cool).

Yeah yeah I know side quests suck, its not an rpg, something something, no one is allowed to have fun and like games anymore on here.

BUT DID YOU LISTEN TO THE FUCKING MUSIC THO?!

brb, gotta punch Bahamuts face...in space.

Nankatsu

piano-piano-on-fire.gif

This game's OST will never cease to impress me. Right there with you OP.

As for the game, well...

Last edited:

decisions

Easiest double-dip of my life, hopefully the PC release helps this game get the recognition it deserves. The demo was amazing with the increased graphical fidelity.

Last edited:

Mercador

If I can play only the main quest, is it just padding as well? I like what I play on the demo but player reviews are concerning to say the least. I did 100% FFXV if it's any indication but only played the first FFXIII. I know the FF golden age is elsewhere (BD, OT) but I don't mind a linear action game and I'm a big lover of epic soundtracks.

BossLackey

Gold Member
Question for those that love it.

Are you a JRPG/FF fan or action/character action game fan primarily?

I need to give it another go, there was just a lot out at the time.

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
If I can play only the main quest, is it just padding as well? I like what I play on the demo but player reviews are concerning to say the least. I did 100% FFXV if it's any indication but only played the first FFXIII. I know the FF golden age is elsewhere (BD, OT) but I don't mind a linear action game and I'm a big lover of epic soundtracks.
I mostly mainlined it myself. With the biggest diversion being the hunts. I feel like the mainquest was paced pretty well. I beat it and I hardly ever beat games these days so for what that's worth. It's a great action game with a banger soundtrack and great boss fights. Mostly good characterization as well.

TheAssist

get out peasant
Bearer
If an play only the main quest, is it just padding as well? I like what I play on the demo but player reviews are concerning to say the least. I did 100% FFXV if it's any indication but only played the first FFXIII. I know the FF golden age is elsewhere (BD, OT) but I don't mind a linear action game and I'm a big lover of epic souI cndtracks.

The best way to play is to ignore all sidequests. At the very end there are actually some good ones, but then again you might just want to fight the final battle and not do like 10 sidequests for the next 4 hours.
The main story has SOME pacing issues, but they really are not as bad as so many people want you to believe, the game only gets dragged down by the sidequests.

And if you like epic OST's especially during completely over the top boss fights...boy are you in for a treat. This game has some of the most bad ass crazy boss fights in video game history.

Go_Ly_Dow

I think you'd enjoy it a lot. There are slow paced segments that some dislike, but I enjoyed those moments for the world building and for a break between the rollercoaster big spectacle moments dotted throughout the game. The game design is fairly simple and streamlined. But not to the extent 13 was.

You might also like FF7 Remake (part 1 since you like linear games) and then if that clicks FF7 Rebirth (part 2) as it's like FF15 on steroids in terms of being a massive world map.

Last edited:

Fbh

Was really underwhelmed by the game, but they sure know how to make exciting trailers.

Sticking with the main story you can avoid some of the bloat (and some of the worst sidequests in any major RPG I've played), but not all of them.
The game has a handful of A tier main missions which are really fun and well produced and with a lot of visual spectacle. But it basically makes you earn those by playing through what essentially feels like mandatory side quests (many of them boring fetch quests)

FFXVI is essentially what could have been a cool 15-20 hours action adventure game that for some reason got merged with a 30 hours, mediocre 3/10 "RPG"

Last edited:

Mercador

I think you'd enjoy it a lot. There are slow paced segments that some dislike, but I enjoyed those moments for the world building and for a break between the rollercoaster big spectacle moments dotted throughout the game. The game design is fairly simple and streamlined. But not to the extent 13 was.

You might also like FF7 Remake (part 1 since you like linear games) and then if that clicks FF7 Rebirth (part 2) as it's like FF15 on steroids in terms of being a massive world map.
Yeah, well I'm hoping to have FF7 Remake free by preordering Rebirth on PC (like on the PS5), so I expect that might happens next winter.

When I was a teenager, I used to tape the OST on cassette tape to listen to them so yeah, I really love those. The last one from FF I really liked was 10. But man, Nobuo Uematsu is such a great composer, I was lucky enough to talk to him twice and see the first concert at LA but that's me bragging now...

IAmRei

This ff is one of the best FF i played recent years beside type-0 and 15. And one of two goty beside ToTK last year. The gameplay is full blast, the graphic and artstyle is 13/10 stars, and the story are interesting. Yes, i am aware there are flaws, but still damn fine game tho.

If i got the chance to build new pc later on, i will buy it again and maybe with mods that time.

Last edited:

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Can't wait to actually beat this with a trainer lol

Got it on day 1 on PS5 and preferred playing other games at the time.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Find The Flame OST cutscene is legit the best fucking moment this gen. Nothing comes close.

i dont want to post it here because PC gamers need to experience it themselves. Game peaked there.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Must be one of the most divisive games this gen so far, can't wait to try it and check out what's up with it.

Valonquar

Jelly of people that get to exp this for the 1st time, esp with DLCs included. Such a fun ride. Soken delivered for sure.

I'm excited that I'll be able to finally play it even though I know I won't buy until I see a 50% off. I guess people like me are why publishers treat PC players like second class citizens.

Madflavor

that game was 70% padding/filler.
I´ve rarely ever seen a game`s pacing fall off a cliff so hard after a strong opening.

FFXVI is the only time I've ever seen a game completely killed by it's pacing. It did have other problems such as the barebones RPG mechanics, bad side quests, severe lack of exploration and activities, and piss easy difficulty. However the pacing imo is what utterly fucked the quality of the overall game to oblivion. For what FFXVI is and what it set out to be, it had no business being over 20 hours long. If they had made a tight 15-20 hour game, trimmed the fat out, and just made a character action Final Fantasy game, it would've worked a lot better.

It's a shame because FFXVI could've been a fantastic game. It had the right ingredients, but a bad chef.

Last edited:

sigmaZ

FFXVI is the only time I've ever seen a game completely killed by it's pacing. It did have other problems such as the barebones RPG mechanics, bad side quests, severe lack of exploration and activities, and piss easy difficulty. However the pacing imo is what utterly fucked the quality of the overall game to oblivion. For what FFXVI is and what it set out to be, it had no business being over 20 hours long. If they had made a tight 15-20 hour game, trimmed the fat out, and just made a character action Final Fantasy game, it would've worked a lot better.

It's a shame because FFXVI could've been a fantastic game. It had the right ingredients, but a bad chef.
Yeah agree. I feel like DMCV was the same, but they got the pacing right. Just long enough to be enjoyable but not too long to outstay its welcome.

I feel like FF16's story doesn't really know what it's doing half the time. It's a whole bunch of conflicts thrown together with mediocre resolutions. It's like it's going more for cool points and flashy ideas than actually constructing a coherent narrative. Dion's arc is the only time I felt the game had something going for it, but it ended all too quickly.

Madflavor

Yeah agree. I feel like DMCV was the same, but they got the pacing right. Just long enough to be enjoyable but not too long to outstay its welcome.

I feel like FF16's story doesn't really know what it's doing half the time. It's a whole bunch of conflicts thrown together with mediocre resolutions. It's like it's going more for cool points and flashy ideas than actually constructing a coherent narrative. Dion's arc is the only time I felt the game had something going for it, but it ended all too quickly.

It should’ve just followed up properly on the Prologue and have it be a revenge story. It could’ve been Game of Thrones with Kaiju’s, and at the center of it is a revenge story about Clive cutting his way across Valisthea. Plus Clive is at his most interesting when he’s pissed off and being a badass. It would’ve been a welcome departure from the typical “go kill god” story that plagues the Jrpg genre. This would also set up Jill to have an actual important and meaningful role, as she tries to save Clive from himself and turn him away from the dark bloody path he’s walking.

Anyway no sense in talking about what could’ve been. We got what we got. It sucked, but it’s what it is.

DaciaJC

Gold Member
It should’ve just followed up properly on the Prologue and have it be a revenge story. It could’ve been Game of Thrones with Kaiju’s, and at the center of it is a revenge story about Clive cutting his way across Valisthea. Plus Clive is at his most interesting when he’s pissed off and being a badass. It would’ve been a welcome departure from the typical “go kill god” story that plagues the Jrpg genre. This would also set up Jill to have an actual important and meaningful role, as she tries to save Clive from himself and turn him away from the dark bloody path he’s walking.

Anyway no sense in talking about what could’ve been. We got what we got. It sucked, but it’s what it is.

I've not played FF16 myself, but I was interested in it because of the comparisons to GoT and promises of a grittier story. Did the game not actually turn out that way?

Freeman76

that game was 70% padding/filler.
I´ve rarely ever seen a game`s pacing fall off a cliff so hard after a strong opening.
Not to mention its not even a proper FF game in the slightest. Playing the series since way back when FF5 came out is crazy to see how they have changed over the generations, and how nowadays they can release a DmC reskin and todays generation lap it up without realising how far removed from the series heritage this game was.

I've not played FF16 myself, but I was interested in it because of the comparisons to GoT and promises of a grittier story. Did the game not actually turn out that way?

Its still that way but it veers a little too magical/fantasy/anime

It doesn’t mean it sucks like he claims though, it’s still a really awesome story and world

The first third of the game is arguably the best part of it and has shades of GoT and Witcher. There were even some disturbing and mature sidequests. The pacing falls off of a cliff after you finally accomplish a big goal the protagonist sets out to do.

The second third is dealing with the aftermath of that goal being accomplished and a new goal being set.

The last third is where we take that new goal and stretch it’s pacing out to it’s absolute maximum length, to where you’re really wanting things to end already.

A modded ‘abridged’ version would at least fix the game’s pacing, but unfortunately it can’t fix where the story went and the important characters you meet later on, which I was personally okay with even though I understand why people don’t like that aspect either.

The best thing about FF 16’s existence is that I can bet someone out there will try and successfully attempt a magic-based GoT style action rpg or action adventure, with intrigue, betrayals, revenge plots, etc.

The seed for this new idea has been planted somewhere, somehow. I just feel it.

Edit: Also the second seed has been planted, which is the idea that a mature, grounded story for modern FF is a viable option. It might take a bit longer than expected, but I think it’s possible.

Last edited:
Top Bottom