• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The First Descendant's Microtransaction System Prompts Mixed Response From Players

Draugoth

Gold Member
GRMROw3XsAAN9I5

With the launch of The First Descendant, its microtransaction system has garnered mixed reactions from players. The game has also been experiencing some issues and developer Nexon is providing some in-game compensation.

The First Descendant has been compared to other multiplayer games, such as Warframe, which is also free-to-play game. One user on Reddit compared the microtransaction system in both games and claimed that The First Descendant was "20 times more expensive than Warframe."

Reddit user goompas used the example of character mods, which help improve character stats, such as increasing the amount of damage they do or reduce the amount of damage taken from enemies. In Warframe, players can buy Orokin Reactor's to increase character mod capacity for 20 premium currency, which comes out to about $1.50. In The First Descendant, however, a similar item costs 1,500 premium currency, which comes out to about $30. However, mods can still be earned through gameplay.

first-descendant-reviews.jpg
Other Descendants take time and resources to unlock, but they can be purchased immediately with premium currency. However, the issue here and with many of the microtransactions is that the bundles of premium currency don't line up with the cost of these new characters. Players are forced to purchase multiple currency bundles as they individually don't match up to the cost of characters, so players have leftover premium currency. There are also Ultimate Descendants, which are more powerful versions, and they require rarer materials to unlock. They cost even more premium currency to unlock right away, which has faced backlash by players.

Nexon is also offering in-game compensation for launch day issues in the form of a three-day 30% gold gain, Kyper Shard gain, EXP gain, and weapon mastery EXP gain boosts, as well as two matte red paints.

Source

Last edited:

Madflavor

Gold Member
I've been enjoying my time with it, but I took a peak at skins for some of the characters. Yeah it's stupid expensive. One skin for Bunny, which is just a white version of her armor, is $40. Some of the Ultimate Versions of characters are around $70. There's no good reason for skins and alt versions of characters to be that expensive. Of course some whales will buy it, but I can't see this as a good thing for the long term health of the game.

Kataploom

Gold Member
If it's just cosmetics why does it matter? People complaining about the price of these things are weird lol

Gojiira

GRMROw3XsAAN9I5

With the launch of The First Descendant, its microtransaction system has garnered mixed reactions from players. The game has also been experiencing some issues and developer Nexon is providing some in-game compensation.

The First Descendant has been compared to other multiplayer games, such as Warframe, which is also free-to-play game. One user on Reddit compared the microtransaction system in both games and claimed that The First Descendant was "20 times more expensive than Warframe."

Reddit user goompas used the example of character mods, which help improve character stats, such as increasing the amount of damage they do or reduce the amount of damage taken from enemies. In Warframe, players can buy Orokin Reactor's to increase character mod capacity for 20 premium currency, which comes out to about $1.50. In The First Descendant, however, a similar item costs 1,500 premium currency, which comes out to about $30. However, mods can still be earned through gameplay.

first-descendant-reviews.jpg
Other Descendants take time and resources to unlock, but they can be purchased immediately with premium currency. However, the issue here and with many of the microtransactions is that the bundles of premium currency don't line up with the cost of these new characters. Players are forced to purchase multiple currency bundles as they individually don't match up to the cost of characters, so players have leftover premium currency. There are also Ultimate Descendants, which are more powerful versions, and they require rarer materials to unlock. They cost even more premium currency to unlock right away, which has faced backlash by players.

Nexon is also offering in-game compensation for launch day issues in the form of a three-day 30% gold gain, Kyper Shard gain, EXP gain, and weapon mastery EXP gain boosts, as well as two matte red paints.

Source
Worth pointing out and something that ALWAYS is neglected to be mentioned is EVERYTHING in Warframe can be earned in-game including the premium currency.
The Orokin Reactors and Catalysts that double mod capacity are easily obtainable for free in game.
Warframe really is the fairest free to play game.

The First Descendant though, first impressions after grinding a bit is just that its a grind and not a particularly good shooter, its just ok. Shame because the waifus are top tier

MayauMiao

Its made from china so of course its shit and souless like chinese people

Umm..

Nexon Co., Ltd. is a South Korean video game publisher. It publishes titles including MapleStory, Dungeon & Fighter, Sudden Attack, and KartRider. Headquartered in Japan, the company has offices in South Korea, the United States, Taiwan and Thailand. Nexon was founded in Seoul, South Korea, in 1994 by Kim Jung-ju. In 2005, the company moved its headquarters to Tokyo, Japan.

MayauMiao

Would have been a good fix until Stellar Blade arrives but its F2P micro transaction nature kills it for me.

Hero_Select

Have you ever sat and thought why the chinese government pay people to go to university arbroad and force them to return to china? Its because they have 0 creativity and any imagination they had as children is pretty much beaten out of them
It's a South Korean developer you dunderhead.

Korean =/= Chinese

And even then.. what's wrong with you? lmao woke up on the wrong side of the bed?

PanzerCute

It's just cosmetics... and it's good they are expensive so the whales pay for f2p players
No its not just cosmetics: you can buy upgrades for your character too. Pure P2W bs.

And even if it was only cosmetics, people are right to complain for a 40 bucks minimalistic character skin...

ChorizoPicozo

Gold Member
I wonder.... if there are are already investing millions to make a live game.... why the fuck their story/story telling is so shiiitt? 🤷🏼‍♂️.

I think playing 10-20 hours you get to exhaust the game loop and it's systems....why pay money anyway?

Killjoy-NL

Bought Freyna, which required me to buy €9,99 worth of premium currency.
Doesn't seem to bad.

If people think MTX are overpriced, don't buy any.

wipeout364

It’s expensive but the characters are pretty great looking though. I was surprised the battle pass as far as I can tell contained no characters or skins, only weapon skins. I’ve played a few hours and I am not sold yet. I think I want it to be good and I’m trying to convince myself which honestly is not a good place to be.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
FUCK THE DEVS FUCK THEIR BOSSES FUCK THEIR FAMILIES FUCK THIS BRANCE.. no i don’t feel guilt. Same as dealing drugs to kids this is harming innocent kids and should be banned yesterday.

Thank god china is banhammering gacha sheit. Destroying an 80M market

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.
Lol should I get mad over €10?

I likely won't be buying anything outside of this, so who gives a fuck?
Yeah I know you have money, here's a scoop, I do too! 4k a month, I'm not rich but still it's very comfortable were I live (France) as it's better than 90% of the salaries. This has nothing to do with the amount you put.

It's your money, do whatever you want with it, even if I do think those 10 bucks could've been spent in a better game that at least deserves it. What's important is were it goes and rewarding stupid and predatory practice, especially for a mid game like this one.

And when you start saying stuff like "don't like it don't buy", that make my eyebrows raise because people like you exist thinking "I'm doing no arm", it's been years and now we are stuck with stupid practice like this one. So yeah I do think even 10€ is too much for this type of games.

We should all draw a line to those practice at least untill we played the game for a fair amount of time.

I know, I'm an idealistic.

Killjoy-NL

Yeah I know you have money, here's a scoop, I do too! 4k a month, I'm not rich but still it's very comfortable were I live (France) as it's better than 90% of the salaries. This has nothing to do with the amount you put.

It's your money, do whatever you want with it, even if I do think those 10 bucks could've been spent in a better game that at least deserves it. What's important is were it goes and rewarding stupid and predatory practice, especially for a mid game like this one.

And when you start saying stuff like "don't like it don't buy", that make my eyebrows raise because people like you exist thinking "I'm doing no arm", it's been years and now we are stuck with stupid practice like this one. So yeah I do think even 10€ is too much for this type of games.

We should all draw a line to those practice at least untill we played the game for a fair amount of time.

It's not about bragging about how much money I have. I don't even make much money. €10 is just negligible imo.

We also shouldn't do anything just because you object to something.
Since it's a free game and I kinda enjoy it, I think €10 is worth a character I want to play right now.
Shouldn't be of any concern to you.

And if people don't like it, don't pay or play the game. It's why I quit playing Warframe and why I'll eventually quit playing this game.

It's hard for me to complain because I'm getting a AAA game for free. Of course they are going to charge some crazy fees for extra stuff.

Sometimes I think gamers just have seriously unrealistic expectations. Not only do you want AAA games that are free but then you also want what you consider to be decent MTX. You can't have it all and when it comes to FTP games except it to be even more ridiculous than normal.

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.
Since it's a free game and I kinda enjoy it, I think €10 is worth a character I want to play right now.
Shouldn't be of any concern to you.
That's fair, better formulated and without a stupid statement about MTX.

Seth Meyers Reaction GIF by Late Night with Seth Meyers

It's hard for me to complain because I'm getting a AAA game for free. Of course they are going to charge some crazy fees for extra stuff.
Because you let them do this. Vote with your wallet.

Sometimes I think gamers just have seriously unrealistic expectations. Not only do you want AAA games that are free but then you also want what you consider to be decent MTX. You can't have it all and when it comes to FTP games except it to be even more ridiculous than normal.
Wo's that "gamers"? Not me, for sure. Who want's AAA F2P? Not to mention there is a lot of F2P with great practice.

That's fair, better formulated and without a stupid statement about MTX.

Seth Meyers Reaction GIF by Late Night with Seth Meyers

Because you let them do this. Vote with your wallet.

Wo's that "gamers"? Not me, for sure. Who want's AAA F2P? Not to mention there is a lot of F2P with great practice.
I do vote with my wallet. I never pay for the extra stuff and I just enjoy what's free. I personally think the F2P here is a great practice so I guess our opinions on what's great practice just differs.

Last edited:
I am impressed how long he survived after his first post…saw the hole in his dingy the moment I read that post 😂

Edit - Anywho, back on topic. I’m about to fire this game up momentarily on ps5. Hoping the performance isn’t as bad as people are saying.

Last edited:
Edit - Anywho, back on topic. I’m about to fire this game up momentarily on ps5. Hoping the performance isn’t as bad as people are saying.
I was having woeful performance issues in public games but last night I played in party of 4 in the sterile land and had no issues. Not sure if it was just Kingston area that sucks performance wise or if playing in public zones somehow messes up performance.

Top Bottom