• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Flash S2 |OT2| Jays of Future Past - Tuesdays 8/7c

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joni

Could someone explain to me what shipping is exactly and why some people seem to take it so seriously? As far as I understand it it's fans making up their own couples with dumb cross-names. But what does it exactly mean when someone says "I ship X&Y so hard". I know it's tumblr speak but what does it actually mean?
It means they adore Arrow and rightly hate the flash. Because he caused Olicity to break up.

Imagine a world where CW got Marvel licences and Netflix DC licences.

Btw. How is HBO's standpoint for/against superhero series? Wasn't a Watchmen series planned?

strafer

Arrow-The-Huntress-returns.jpg

KonradLaw

Btw. How is HBO's standpoint for/against superhero series? Wasn't a Watchmen series planned?

I think the problem is that if cable comes to DC for license they will most likely look for something more ambitious, which means Vertigo imprint, not superhero one.
But yeah, I wish DC would do something superheroic on cable.
Azrael or Deathstroke on Cinemax for example :)

Joni

That would suck. Like almost all DC superheroes revolve around hope. As for HBO, they mess up too much to count on them. They pass on good shows and they suck at development. Like they passed on preacher and God knows when westworld is coming. Probably together with the end of George Martin S books.

Kyoufu

Huntress was the only one who understood what Oliver needed in order to be interesting.

Reboot Arrow, have Oliver kill again.

KonradLaw

You people realize all of these ships exist right? you're invoking a darkness here.

Yes, it would be foolish to think such darkness could be our ally. In the end at most we could merely adopt the dark. Meanwhile real tumbrl denizens were born in it and molded by it.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician

I think CW getting the DC licenses was the right move. Their style naturally lends to the slightly larger than life feel of the DC pantheon, Netflix makes more sense for something like Jessica Jones

MartyStu

I think CW getting the DC licenses was the right move. Their style naturally lends to the slightly larger than life feel of the DC pantheon, Netflix makes more sense for something like Jessica Jones

Ehh, I think it is all a tossup.

There is a version of Daredevil that could have easily been done on the CW. Hell, season 1 of Arrow is not that far from it.

Equally: Arrow, Flash and Gotham could have easily been done on Netflix.

In short: since the bigger heroes are mostly excluded, there is nothing about either Marvel's or DC's styles that would relegate either to one specific medium or network.

Ogodei

Could someone explain to me what shipping is exactly and why some people seem to take it so seriously? As far as I understand it it's fans making up their own couples with dumb cross-names. But what does it exactly mean when someone says "I ship X&Y so hard". I know it's tumblr speak but what does it actually mean?

Folks get invested in fictional relationships. It's not as weird as it sounds, given that things like Ross/Rachael or Sam/Diane are still household names in the US.

Crack shipping gets weirder, when folks just decide that two characters work well together so of course they should be together despite them having no romantic interaction on screen (or sometimes no interaction on screen period). Add slash (homo) into the mix, and now everyone's fair game for everyone else. This impacts some fandoms in some genres and mediums worse than others.

Of course, crack slash shipping and the show-creators being receptive to it was how we got Korra x Asami in The Legend of Korra. That shit was pure crack before season 3 when the writers started getting on board with it.

(part of me thinks this reads a little homophobic now. Going on record as being a big fan of Korrasami).

oti

Banned
Folks get invested in fictional relationships. It's not as weird as it sounds, given that things like Ross/Rachael or Sam/Diane are still household names in the US.

Crack shipping gets weirder, when folks just decide that two characters work well together so of course they should be together despite them having no romantic interaction on screen (or sometimes no interaction on screen period). Add slash (homo) into the mix, and now everyone's fair game for everyone else. This impacts some fandoms in some genres and mediums worse than others.

Of course, crack slash shipping and the show-creators being receptive to it was how we got Korra x Asami in The Legend of Korra. That shit was pure crack before season 3 when the writers started getting on board with it.

(part of me thinks this reads a little homophobic now. Going on record as being a big fan of Korrasami).

Korra and Asami are the two coolest characters of that show. They should be together.

Wait, that was a fan fantasy? I had no idea this whole Korrasami thing was a thing before the finale. I don't really like tumblr.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
I shipped Dr. Wells and a speed mirage of Reverse Flash.

Ogodei

Korra and Asami are the two coolest characters of that show. They should be together.

Wait, that was a fan fantasy? I had no idea this whole Korrasami thing was a thing before the finale. I don't really like tumblr.

Mostly Yuri fans initially, since they were the two main women characters. I'm pretty sure both were clearly meant to just be het before season 3, then the actual hints (and not just fan-imaginings) began to pile up.

Johndoey

Banned
Korrasami and Mako/Bolin were popular ships.
The actual in universe Korrasmai build up existed but was not particularly well executed imo.

Unfortunately we had precious little of the actual best ship, Bolin/Lin.

Please no
He drew back, shuddering as a sensual tremor passed along the taut muscles of his arm. He would delay release as long as possible.

So, Barry and Pied Piper are dating right?

That would be the best reveal, it'd make up for all this Jay fuckery.

DigtialT

Edit: I mean, that line PP dropped of "Barry, my parents." really strongly implies that he and Barry had plans to have dinner that night with PP parents. I hope next episode one of the plot points is PP getting angry at Barry for not showing up.

How about nobody dates anyone. Please.

No romance BS. Please. You saw what happened with Patty. Please.

Please
Welcome to the CW.
i really hope the don't try and push Iris and Barry together any time soon. It seems they actually found a good spot for her character on the show (dealing with Wally and the paper). It doesn't take up much time of an episode and can be a nice change of pace.
She's in a nice place because she's not in a relationship with the main character. That's how CW shows work.

His eyes are dead.

DeathyBoy

Banned
Ehh, I think it is all a tossup.

There is a version of Daredevil that could have easily been done on the CW. Hell, season 1 of Arrow is not that far from it.

Equally: Arrow, Flash and Gotham could have easily been done on Netflix.

In short: since the bigger heroes are mostly excluded, there is nothing about either Marvel's or DC's styles that would relegate either to one specific medium or network.

I can see Amazon Instant making a play for DC stuff soon.

abundant

I watched like two episodes of that show way back and thought it was awful.

He's talking about how Supernatural fanatics are obsessed with shipping the two brothers, Sam and Dean. Check out an episode titled "Fan Fiction" to get a better idea of how weird there fans can be.

oti

Banned
He's talking about how Supernatural fanatics are obsessed with shipping the two brothers, Sam and Dean. Check out an episode titled "Fan Fiction" to get a better idea of how weird there fans can be.

They made an episode about their fans?

LionPride

Banned

Edit: I mean, that line PP dropped of "Barry, my parents." really strongly implies that he and Barry had plans to have dinner that night with PP parents. I hope next episode one of the plot points is PP getting angry at Barry for not showing up.

I thought that was just me who thought that

Ehhh for Flash/Gotham just has a off screen "woosh" as papers and shit go flying with Gordon and others in the scene wonder "WTF just happened". Then on the Flash we see it from Barry's perspective who is hopping universes for some reason.

Gave Gotham a Rest half way through Season 1, does it get better? Im hearing good things about Season 2.

Gotham season two has given us great moments such as this.

zfAcPdo.gif

The SnowBarry shippers are going to kill Flash next season, anyway.

Thankfully whatever shippers that are out there don't seem to be as batshit crazy and vocal as the Olicity shit that the show panders to as the show runner and writers enable.

Supergirl is the worst DC show by far, and the best best DC show is Gotham.

Supergirl at least has some good, joy enduing moments and Benoist and bring the "feels", Arrow after this cross-over has been pretty much nothing but shit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom