• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Flash S3 |OT| It was me, Barry.

Unmemorable episode. I swear, the moment they went all-out with the time travels and alternate universes is the moment the show started to slip off immensely. I could tolerate the Earth 2 stuff, because it was (both visually and narratively) still distinctly clear from Earth Prime which makes it a fresh change of pace, and Zoom was amazing, but after S2's finale and now the start to S3, they're spinning out of control to a point that it feels like a parody.

More often that not I feel it's largely due to how terribly written Barry is becoming. Whenever he does something stupid time-related, instead of just coming clean to his crew (who already knows he can time travel), he's just awkwardly trying to make sense of it all, and it's just infuriating to watch.

The worst part of it all is Iris' stupid reconciliation speech. Like, they've had years and years of problems and issues (because they experience their lives as unchanged, never aware of the time-change) but apparently a simple speech about "we're not like this in another time-line" is enough to make them good ol' buddies again. It doesn't make sense. That's like saying "yo, I killed your brother, but don't sweat it, there's a time-line where I didn't). Might as well have made Barry reset the time-line properly and then never use time-travel in the series again. Which would have been rather lazily done, but I'd prefer laziness above poorly written.

In short, speedforce bruh, we don't have to explain shit.

The Iris stuff isn't lazy writing. First of all she just found out about her mom she would naturally get over it. Second it's likely her original feelings would blend with her new ones.

I think it's because everything changed just a bit? So all the painful changes are fresh. Iris still spend 25+ years of pure love with her father and only recently learned that her mother is alive. And Cisco has been a friend of Barry for two seasons and Dante was killed only in the short 3 months period between seasons.
Although Draco Malfoy has been around for some time in this timeline. I wonder if memories of him will "return" to Barry.

ZeroX03

Banned
#3.05 "Monster" Synopsis
CAITLIN CALLS ON HER MOTHER FOR HELP WITH HER GROWING META POWERS — Desperate to understand what is happening to her, Caitlin (Danielle Panabaker) visits her mother, Dr. Tannhauser (guest star Susan Walters), a renowned biomedical researcher, in the hopes that her mother can provide some answers about Caitlin’s growing meta-human powers. However, when Dr. Tannhauser treats her daughter like a test subject, Caitlin grows cold and brings up past wounds causing the two to have a major blowout. Meanwhile, after a mysterious new meta-human attacks Central City, Barry (Grant Gustin) tries to convince Julian (Tom Felton) to let him assist on the case. Kim Miles directed the episode written by Zack Stentz.
Stay frosty, GAF.

Part of me for some dumb reason expects some out of left field twist and Felton to turn out to be an older Bart Allen or some nonsense like that but I can't imagine they'd actually be that dumb to introduce the character as anything other than a teenager... Played by someone in their early to mid 20s of course.

Part of me for some dumb reason expects some out of left field twist and Felton to turn out to be an older Bart Allen or some nonsense like that but I can't imagine they'd actually be that dumb to introduce the character as anything other than a teenager... Played by someone in their early to mid 20s of course.

If Bart travelled back in time to meet Barry (he can't be there in any other way, because Bart is Barry's grandson), he has no reason to hate or be suspicious of Barry.

ZeroX03

Banned
Part of me half expects Felton to turn out to be an older Bart Allen or some nonsense but I can't imagine they'd actually be that dumb to introduce the character as anything other than a teenager... Play by someone in their early to mid 20s of course.

Considering the name, I'm going to stick with him being Doctor Alchemy. Although Eddie...

Wally is already playing a few years younger. They just need to find an actor who looks perpetually 14. Madison McLaughlin is playing four years younger on Arrow. Find an 18 or 19 year old who's tiny for Bart.

So she looks like she wants to keep it secret as long as possible. I think that might blow up in her face with the winter finale.

Episode 7's title is
Killer Frost
, go figure.

GulAtiCa

I think it shouldn't alter them since it could be said that the flashpoint ripples through time can't cross universes.

I'd assume Jay wasn't affected

ZeroX03

Banned
Jay doesn't appear to be affected, although he is a speedster and they could easily speed force an explanation.

By the preview,
it appears Harry has lightened up at least.

Like, he's just a giant dumbass. I don't get it.

Something something Speed Force something something ain't gotta explain shit?

Honestly if we had a competent Barry Allen, the show would be over in about 5-7 episodes. Actually, I wouldn't mind seeing a short season where Barry just Speed Forces his way through his problems and doing all of that competently.

randome

I hate this time wonkyness nonsense. It's so annoying. And Wally seems to be like, expressionless. And it's kind of silly how there are so many speedsters.

Joni

Something something Speed Force something something ain't gotta explain shit?

Honestly if we had a competent Barry Allen, the show would be over in about 5-7 episodes. Actually, I wouldn't mind seeing a short season where Barry just Speed Forces his way through his problems and doing all of that competently.

Season 16, the year Flash got a wrap-up season before cancellation.

caliph95

I hate this time wonkyness nonsense. It's so annoying. And Wally seems to be like, expressionless. And it's kind of silly how there are so many speedsters.

Even Arrow archer nonsense wasn't this bad. Though most of the cast is a vigilante now, which is even dumber.

EYEL1NER

Can't wait for the new episode this week. I watched the first five or six episodes of season 2 on AFN during the week they would air but some schedule changes and a move made me miss half the season so I gave up and waited for a physical release. Then the Blu Ray came out and I said "Ah, I can wait for Black Friday." But it went up on Netflix already, so over the last week my wife, daughter, and I watched it. We downloaded the CW app on my Xbone yesterday and watched the first two episodes of S3 on there too. So we are completely caught up on Flash and the crossover episodes with Arrow, and I am starting Legends of Tomorrow by myself in a few moments since I just finished my marathon of Sons of Anarchy that lasted a few weeks.

TVexperto

So why doesnt Barry catch flames when he is running without his suit?! His clothes did that in the first season but now they dont even care..

Xanathus

So why doesnt Barry catch flames when he is running without his suit?! His clothes did that in the first season but now they dont even care..
Why doesn't he have to eat a lot of high calorie food anymore? Why don't the metahuman cells have toilets? Why do they only feed their prisoners junk food? Why doesn't Barry immediately be honest to his friends when he has acknowledged it was the right thing to do multiple times? Why does he keep fucking the timeline up despite already knowing not to?

Mariolee

If you want logic explanations for time travel, it's time to quickly abandon watching DC shows.

There's a certain degree to which I'll allow suspension of disbelief as long as they work relatively within the realm of their own self established rules.

However, Thawne not getting stuck in the last is too blatant a plot hole to not resolve. I sincerely hope they come back to it later.

ZeroX03

Banned
There's a certain degree to which I'll allow suspension of disbelief as long as they work relatively within the realm of their own self established rules.

However, Thawne not getting stuck in the last is too blatant a plot hole to not resolve. I sincerely hope they come back to it later.

He siphons the remaining Speed Force from Barry

Done

Joni

Why doesn't he have to eat a lot of high calorie food anymore? Why don't the metahuman cells have toilets? Why do they only feed their prisoners junk food? Why doesn't Barry immediately be honest to his friends when he has acknowledged it was the right thing to do multiple times? Why does he keep fucking the timeline up despite already knowing not to?

XenaWizards.jpg

Skux

Legends of Tomorrow has the Temporal Zone, where the consequences of timeline alterations don't affect anyone. It's quite literally:

DPLHiXo.gif

I suppose it wouldn't take too much to bring up the idea of a "Speedforce Sanctuary".

24K7F5.gif

But replace oil with whatever is suitable for Barry Allen lol. Matter of fact, Dave Chappelle's Black Bush skit is pretty comparable to the questions we have about the show :p and the questions can be implemented into the skit.

Joni

Because they had him much earlier in this timeline. It's actually a really clever way of the show to avoid the prematurely aging baby disease when going from infant -> older child actor.

But they don't really need to show the kid. He just needs to be 25-ish when Legends happens, and he should be young enough not to have known Diggle if he died in 2016.

ZeroX03

Banned
Diggle Jr currently doesn't make a lot of sense with what we know from Legends - he's a bit too old - but w/e speed force or recasting can fix that.

Zalasta

Caught up for the new season. Can't believe they are doing yet another plot line with multiple speedsters. This show is really running out of ideas.

Maybe this has already been mentioned, but I have problems with how Barry acts toward Iris. He still knows her even if she does not in this timeline, yet he still has problems talking to her? What gives? The whole awkwardness is not cute, just a completely retread of season 1 Barry.

Joni

Maybe this has already been mentioned, but I have problems with how Barry acts toward Iris. He still knows her even if she does not in this timeline, yet he still has problems talking to her? What gives? The whole awkwardness is not cute, just a completely retread of season 1 Barry.

He was still awkward in the real timeline, and he keeps erasing his romances.

Top Bottom