• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Flash S3 |OT| It was me, Barry.

I feel like Barry messing with time impacts things way more than when Legends of Tomorrow messes with time.

LoT doesn't have to worry about the Speed Force though. Barry has been time travelling while in the Speed Force. The way things are impacted are different because...

SPEED FORCE

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe Flash (and Supergirl, which doesn't matter at the moment) are roughly 3 months behind Arrow (and possibly Legends?).

Reverse Flash dropped Barry off at Joe's house at the same time he left at the end of season 2.

I feel like Barry messing with time impacts things way more than when Legends of Tomorrow messes with time.

It's been explained that speedsters are like taking a sledgehammer to time and the Legends/Time Masters are like using a scalpel.

Wingfan19

Unconfirmed Member
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe Flash (and Supergirl, which doesn't matter at the moment) are roughly 3 months behind Arrow (and possibly Legends?).

Reverse Flash dropped Barry off at Joe's house at the same time he left at the end of season 2.
You are correct. Arrow (so far) is the only show at our current time in 2016.

Da-Kid

Just watched episode 2. Not feeling this season so far. Feel like third seasons in the arrowverse may have a curse.
This Season is off to a better start than Season one and two. What are you not feeling?

EDIT: I don't know if I just haven't noticed.. but Flash doesn't seem to get budget cuts each season like Arrow. I'd argue it gets increased actually. Though, I have no proof of either.

Chase17

This Season is off to a better start than Season one and two. What are you not feeling?

EDIT: I don't know if I just haven't noticed.. but Flash doesn't seem to get budget cuts each season like Arrow. I'd argue it gets increased actually. Though, I have no proof of either.
I think I'm just bored of the different timelines/worlds.

But that's since it's usually all arbitrary, it looks like they are sticking with it here so maybe it will become more interesting. It can bounce back for sure. I think my general feeling for the later half of the second season is carrying over.

Barry's new lab partner is a nice addition so far.

Da-Kid

I think I'm just bored of the different timelines/worlds.

But that's since it's usually all arbitrary, it looks like they are sticking with it here so maybe it will become more interesting. It can bounce back for sure. I think my general feeling for the later half of the second season is carrying over.

Barry's new lab partner is a nice addition so far.
Oh, I feel you. I think this season isn't going to focus of that anymore other than seeing Wells and Jessie. I think these two episodes were just fixing what Season 2 ended on and that's it.

We're already making progress with the main antagonist not being a Speedster.

The only change that I really cared about is Emo Cisco. I don't care about everybody else but why have sad Cisco?

Sad Cisco is pretty much over already.

ZeroX03

Banned
I like how Rival straight up jobbed in two episodes back to back.

He beat Wally and Barry once each. That's not bad.

I don't think he did? Barry lived the three months of Flashpoint and was returned at an equal time later.

You haven't noticed anything. Budget isn't getting bigger, that's for sure.

Da-Kid

You haven't noticed anything. Budget isn't getting bigger, that's for sure.
Well in any case it seems like it at least is staying at the same amount. Season 2 did way more impressive CGI action than 1, and 3 looks like its on the same level, the fighting has seemed better thus far.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
I don't think he did? Barry lived the three months of Flashpoint and was returned at an equal time later.

I just double checked and it definitely looks like season 2's finale party that Barry left.

I think the Flashpoint months were basically erased.

Patryn

Shouldn't Barry also get the memories of a new timeline when he makes one? It happened like that in some other thing I watched or read.

He should eventually get the memories of the current timeline, but it took months for that to happen in the Flashpoint universe, although Thawne did suggest that how fast it happens is related to using speed so possibly it'll happen sooner rather than later.

Joni

Well in any case it seems like it at least is staying at the same amount. Season 2 did way more impressive CGI action than 1, and 3 looks like its on the same level, the fighting has seemed better thus far.

They reuse shots and effects where possible. It is not the level where we notice, but it saves them money.

/actually if you think about the episode of Legends of Tomorrow the future Green Arrow is John's SON

Future also had Diggle dead before Connor could know him. He felt like a second kid.

I don't understand why the current timeline is different than the original timeline. I mean, Barry as a kid couldn't have done something different to change the timeline. He was out of the house and Thawne killed his mother, he just said you aren't safe. Nobody saw this. So, Barry and everyone else would not be affected by this change. I remember Jay's explanation, but it doesn's seem logical to me. Any thoughts?

I don't understand why the current timeline is different than the original timeline. I mean, Barry as a kid couldn't have done something different to change the timeline. He was out of the house and Thawne killed his mother, he just said you aren't safe. Nobody saw this. So, Barry and everyone else would not be affected by this change. I remember Jay's explanation, but it doesn's seem logical to me. Any thoughts?

Did you remember what Thawne said at the end of episode 1 and the look on his face? It's pretty safe to assume that while in the Speed Force before or after killing Nora, he fucked with the timeline just enough not to attract the attention of the Time Wraith's and not to cause another Flashpoint.

Thawne is just that dude or dat boi.

Mariolee

Time travel through Speed Force: Sledgehammer
Time travel in literally any other way is more delicate and precise.

Did you remember what Thawne said at the end of episode 1 and the look on his face? It's pretty safe to assume that while in the Speed Force before or after killing Nora, he fucked with the timeline just enough not to attract the attention of the Time Wraith's and not to cause another Flashpoint.

Thawne is just that dude or dat boi.

Thawne could have done that, but if he knows everything about the new timeline and its future, he would know that Barry fixes the changes. If Thawne doesn't know everything, he wouldn't have made even the tiniest change, because he could have created a new flashpoint. So, I don't think he would have done something. However, he knows something changed. Still, I don't think he was the cause of the changes because of the reasons I listed above.

Of course he knows Barry will fix the timeline. With the changes he's made, he just wants Barry to have more complications along the way. Thawne just isn't going to go, "here Barry. Here is the timeline where everything is all happy and good. Everything is back to the way things were! Cheers ^_^"

Thawne just wants to watch Barry struggle and so far he's done just that.

CloudWolf

Well, technically it could be because Reverse Flash never got stuck in time now so none of the events of S01 happened the way we saw them, but the real explanation is: speedforce.

msv

Arrgh, it's so annoying when they hammer on that his mother dying is the 'way it should be'. It's not! The entire show is in an alternate timeline damnit.

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
Gah.

Reverse Flash came off as more sympathetic than Barry.

The Rival was a joke. I'm glad he exploded.

Fallout Boy isn't an especially interesting villain even if he's making alternate timeline pod people.

KonradLaw

Arrgh, it's so annoying when they hammer on that his mother dying is the 'way it should be'. It's not! The entire show is in an alternate timeline damnit.
Is it though? The set up makes sense if she was supposed to die anyway. Jus in different way. Thawne sped up him becoming the Flash, so it's possible with his mother he also just made it come faster.

That or it's the case of Legends of TOmorrow's time changes, where it's fluid only for some time and after a while the altered timeline sets in place so hard, it's get incredibly hardt to change successfuly.

Magwik

Banned
Casual loop. Reverse Flash only exists because of the Flash. Therefore he has to kill Barry's mother in order to keep the timeline correct. Shit we even saw the consequences of messing with it in the S1 finale, with no Thawme the world falls apart.

KonradLaw

How old was that actor? The episode took place in 2046, so Flashpoint having him replace Sara means that he's 31 there. Conner/Diggle jr came off as early to mid twenties to me.
He's living in CWverse though. Important people age slower there ;)
Remember.....father and son:
Malcolm_Merlyn_John_Barrowman_and_Tommy_Merlyn_Colin_Donnell-2.jpg
:D

msv

Also, shouldn't Barry be losing his memories from the other timeline - this is another alternate timeline after all.

Is it though? The set up makes sense if she was supposed to die anyway. Jus in different way. Thawne sped up him becoming the Flash, so it's possible with his mother he also just made it come faster.

That or it's the case of Legends of TOmorrow's time changes, where it's fluid only for some time and after a while the altered timeline sets in place so hard, it's get incredibly hardt to change successfuly.
If she was supposed to die, then she would have died in the other alternate timeline, but she was still alive. There were no time wraiths either. So I don't think that flies.

Either way, Thawne change the timeline, making the main timeline of the series an alternate timeline. It is by no means how it should be.

Casual loop. Reverse Flash only exists because of the Flash. Therefore he has to kill Barry's mother in order to keep the timeline correct. Shit we even saw the consequences of messing with it in the S1 finale, with no Thawme the world falls apart.
That just makes it even worse :p. Then the entire show is just them being trapped in a time loop.

Skux

I really liked the episode. The middle part where Barry admits he changed the timeline was a unique sort of emotional drama that you can only find on the Flash.

Can you imagine your friend telling you that one of your most loved family members is alive in another existence, and that they're only dead because they wrote them out of the timeline? How do you even begin to process that?

Joni

The alternate timeline only requires Barry to become The Flash, so for him to become a victim of Wells doing the particle accelerator. That can happen with or without mom.

Skux

There was so much stuff to enjoy about this episode.

- Cisco having a serious side
- The Killer Frost reveal and its potential consequences
- The mystery of Dr. Alchemy and the husks and how characters have gotten their powers
- The magic retconning of Diggle to have a son which makes sense when you consider the Legends of Tomorrow 2046 episode
- Julian showing up out of nowhere and being a total dick
- The comedic scene where Barry is planning dinner between Joe and Iris
- Jay Garrick taking no bullshit from Barry's screw-ups

The episode didn't even have Wells and I didn't even notice.

KonradLaw

Also, shouldn't Barry be losing his memories from the other timeline - this is another alternate timeline after all.

Well..it took three months before. Plus he was loosing speedforce, since he never became flash in that universe.

So...the answer to the question why he isn;t forgetting is the same as always:
4668425-9567555014-P8tJI.gif

Mario007

So now that RF didn't get stranded in the past, how are we explainining the first season not happening but everyone acting like it did.

He doesn't need to kill Barry's mother for him to exist. Barry still became the Flash in the original timeline, just later.

Good episode. I've only seen the animated movie but I think episodes 1 and 2 together make a nice flashpoint alternative. Barry aced that scene when he told the truth

What are the chances Jay is on Supergirl's earth and they don't know because he was captured by Zoom, timeline shenanigans SPEEDFORCE, and/or he's just laying low while in retirement. I'd love to see him pop up during the crossover

Regginator

Unmemorable episode. I swear, the moment they went all-out with the time travels and alternate universes is the moment the show started to slip off immensely. I could tolerate the Earth 2 stuff, because it was (both visually and narratively) still distinctly clear from Earth Prime which makes it a fresh change of pace, and Zoom was amazing, but after S2's finale and now the start to S3, they're spinning out of control to a point that it feels like a parody.

More often that not I feel it's largely due to how terribly written Barry is becoming. Whenever he does something stupid time-related, instead of just coming clean to his crew (who already knows he can time travel), he's just awkwardly trying to make sense of it all, and it's just infuriating to watch.

The worst part of it all is Iris' stupid reconciliation speech. Like, they've had years and years of problems and issues (because they experience their lives as unchanged, never aware of the time-change) but apparently a simple speech about "we're not like this in another time-line" is enough to make them good ol' buddies again. It doesn't make sense. That's like saying "yo, I killed your brother, but don't sweat it, there's a time-line where I didn't). Might as well have made Barry reset the time-line properly and then never use time-travel in the series again. Which would have been rather lazily done, but I'd prefer laziness above poorly written.

In short, speedforce bruh, we don't have to explain shit.

KonradLaw

The worst part of it all is Iris' stupid reconciliation speech. Like, they've had years and years of problems and issues (because they experience their lives as unchanged, never aware of the time-change) but apparently a simple speech about "we're not like this in another time-line" is enough to make them good ol' buddies again. It doesn't make sense.t.

I think it's because everything changed just a bit? So all the painful changes are fresh. Iris still spend 25+ years of pure love with her father and only recently learned that her mother is alive. And Cisco has been a friend of Barry for two seasons and Dante was killed only in the short 3 months period between seasons.

Top Bottom