• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Flash S3 |OT| It was me, Barry.

JSevere

Wells is back :D

if Alchemy ends up giving Wally his Flashpoint powers back I wonder how they're gonna balance Barry having two sidekicks between Kid Flash and Jessie Quick

So how does S.T.A.R. Labs receive their income again? Is E1 Wells just that rich?

Probably one of the best episode of Flash S3. Next week might take that spot.

But again, why did Barry just leave Iris all alone at that place? What a dick.

Wells is back :D

if Alchemy ends up giving Wally his Flashpoint powers back I wonder how they're gonna balance Barry having two sidekicks between Kid Flash and Jessie Quick

I'd imagine Jessie will go back to Earth 2

Earth 3 has Jay

Wally will eventually leave to start his own path

Was that supposed to be romantic? Came across like both admitting that without speed to talk about there is nothing between them.

The Speed Force.... Romantic? Ew. Barry has superspeed and he just takes her to a place with a decent view?! I'm disappointed in Barry.

I can just imagine their sex talk......

LotusHD

Banned
Was that supposed to be romantic? Came across like both admitting that without speed to talk about there is nothing between them.

It's more like Iris doesn't want him to use speed, but Barry realizes this is an extremely easy way to make him more appealing to her. But hey when you put like that, I see your point. This is the first time I really noticed that their chemistry is truly lacking at times.

I miss Patty...

MartyStu

It's more like Iris doesn't want him to use speed, but Barry realizes this is an extremely easy way to make him more appealing to her. But hey when you put like that, I see your point. This is the first time I really noticed that their chemistry is truly lacking at times.

I miss Patty...

The odd part? I think Barry is the wet blanket on their chemistry.

Tamanon

Banned
I wouldn't be surprised if they realize it really doesn't work this season. I mean, half of the beginning of a romance is learning about the other person. Here they know almost everything about each other. It basically means they're relegated to the relatively boring "So, how was your day?" conversations, not a good starter!

ZeroX03

Banned
They've bailed out of other romantic relationships that haven't worked, just look at Supergirl literally giving them less than an episode before splitting up the shipped couple. Oliver and Laurel got canned. They kicked out the Hawks when they didn't work as characters let alone a couple.

They sort of wrote themselves in a corner with the whole destined to be married couple thing. Yeah the timeline has changed but they still seem pretty committed to it for whatever reason.

LotusHD

Banned
The odd part? I think Barry is the wet blanket on their chemistry.

True. When Barry himself said he was boring, I honestly couldn't help but to agree.

But then again, Iris isn't exactly the most interesting character either, especially compared to the rest of the ladies in the DCU. Just look back on her relationship with Eddie and that one black dude for example.

The only relationship I could definitively see working is any relationship that involves Sara Lance.

I say they forget about Flashpoint, Iris x Barry, Jesse Quick, Wally getting fast, The Rogues, and we continue finding a nude Dr. Light. Who's with me?

LionPride

Banned
True. When Barry himself said he was boring, I honestly couldn't help but to agree.

But then again, Iris isn't exactly the most interesting character either, especially compared to the rest of the ladies in the DCU. Just look back on her relationship with Eddie and that one black dude for example.

The only relationship I could definitively see working is any relationship that involves Sara Lance.

But Caity Lotz is a wet blanket

Also Iris and Fake-Drake was a whole bunch of nothin

MartyStu

Yeah, the character is dull, but the actress puts in a lot of genuine effort.

Earth 2 Iris and Barry seem to actually work quite well actually. She was aggressive as fuck. Almost as if she was written as male instead of what the writers think a female love interest should be written like.

Flashpoint really should have made her into her father's partner.

ZeroX03

Banned
Caity Lotz plays a good sexual presence (I don't mean this in a creepy way, her strength in acting comes from body language). But emotional depth isn't her strong point. Her sexing her way through time makes sense.

Also CW superhero shows just struggle hard with main character love interests in general. They aren't willing to commit. Now the non-superhero CW shows? They get it.

LionPride

Banned
Caity Lotz plays a good sexual presence (I don't mean this in a creepy way, her strength in acting comes from body language). But emotional depth isn't her strong point. Her sexing her way through time makes sense.

Wha, nah man, she's awesome imo

She has the emotional depth of plywood

Also like Zero siad, it seems the superhero shows have love interest issues, male or female. While Jane the Virgin and Crazy Ex-Girlfriend made me interested in every love interest that a character has come across

Chase17

They've bailed out of other romantic relationships that haven't worked, just look at Supergirl literally giving them less than an episode before splitting up the shipped couple. Oliver and Laurel got canned. They kicked out the Hawks when they didn't work as characters let alone a couple.

They sort of wrote themselves in a corner with the whole destined to be married couple thing. Yeah the timeline has changed but they still seem pretty committed to it for whatever reason.

Wait a minute... is Olicity the best relationship in the arrowverse

LotusHD

Banned
Yeah, the character is dull, but the actress puts in a lot of genuine effort.

Earth 2 Iris and Barry seem to actually work quite well actually. She was aggressive as fuck. Almost as if she was written as male instead of what the writers think a female love interest should be written like.

Yea, I agree, the actress herself is fine, it's just Iris as a character that really isn't working for me. I totally agree though that Earth 2 Iris is a completely different entity however in terms of appeal.

MartyStu

Yeah, she has a ton of intensity in her demeaner. She can work well as long as the writers do not expect her to carry the emotional weight of an episode.

Again, at her best, White Canary is essentially written like a male lead.

LotusHD

Banned
Yeah, she has a ton of intensity in her demeaner. She can work well as long as the writers do not expect her to carry the emotional weight of an episode.

Again, at her best, White Canary is essentially written like a male lead.

I guess that's why I like her so much, since she clearly breaks the mold of how the rest of women normally act. I dunno, I see the valid complaints of her being wooden at times. But at the same time, it feels refreshing as fuck to see a girl on a CW doing far more than being the one to give emotional speeches/monologues.

ZeroX03

Banned
If you guys want to see women, relationship drama and love triangles done properly, go watch Jane and Crazy Ex. You'll be like "oh this is actually really good, the fuck are the superhero shows doing".

The poor love interest thing isn't as much a gender thing as it is who's in the dominant role. Look at Supergirl, she's fine, him not so much. The shows really struggle at creating two equal humans in a show with a lead.

If they didn't keep breaking up for the sake of drama and lies, then yes, it almost certainly would be.

LionPride

Banned

I honestly liked Olicity as a concept. Lot more than Laurel and Oliver. But then the problem that the Arrow writers can't write love interests popped up and it went to hell. I hated Laurel when she was possibly going to get with Oliver, moment they just wrote her for her, I loved her.

MartyStu

I guess that's why I like her so much, since she clearly breaks the mold of how the rest of women normally act. I dunno, I see the valid complaints of her being wooden at times. But at the same time, it feels refreshing as fuck to see a girl on a CW doing far more than being the one to give emotional speeches/monologues.

Yup. Sara is essentially Oliver, but slightly sexier.

If they didn't keep breaking up for the sake of drama and lies, then yes, it almost certainly would be.

Yup. I love their relationship. The writers just should have accepted it as the status quo and stopped fucking with it.

Many modern comedies (Parks and Rec, Brooklyn Nine-Nine) and even some modern shipper-bait (Bones, Castle) have longed since realized it is much better for everyone if they cut the bullshit.

Superhero shows are still behind on this.

Chase17

Yeah, I'd say that's the biggest problem with it. Felicity doesn't bug me nearly as much as she does other people fortunately.

Snart's sister needs to come back so she and Cisco can be the powerhouse couple.

MartyStu

Yeah, I'd say that's the biggest problem with it. Felicity doesn't bug me nearly as much as she does other people fortunately.

Snart's sister needs to come back so she and Cisco can be the powerhouse couple.

The woman that Cisco made out with during Flashpoint needs to come back.

ZeroX03

Banned
The woman that Cisco made out with during Flashpoint needs to come back.

kisskopspkf.gif

Also CW superhero shows just struggle hard with main character love interests in general. They aren't willing to commit. Now the non-superhero CW shows? They get it.

I said this before. It's a problem for all CW shows. They don't know how to handle them. These are dramas, so the writers aim for conflict. Outside of the romantic chase, which is a conflict in and of itself, they assume the relationship can't just be. They have to introduce secrets and false reasons to fight. See also: Sam and Dean on Supernatural.

That's why Laurel was annoying in the first season, because she was the love interest and that demands drama. When did she improve? When you drop the romantic conflict and just let things happen. That's why Olicity bottomed out; not because there's anything wrong with the characters being together, but because they have to be in a relationship full of conflict. They just can't be two great characters who happen to be dating.

Iris and Barry will work if they just let it happen. Barry doesn't have to keep secrets from her. Iris doesn't have to have a problem with Barry being the Flash. They can have conflicts and those conflicts don't have to be with each other. You have a whole supporting cast. Let them have romantic problems. Or hell, avoid those types of issues altogether. Vampire Dairies had a moment in the sun where they finally said "Fuck it" and just let Elena/Damon ride.

Top Bottom