• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Flash S3 |OT| It was me, Barry.

man, finished S2 and what a disappointment felt like that Twilight ending. Zoom probably is my most liked villain. and when does the Flash becomes cool? such a little bitch.

Ithil

Guess they just sort of forgot the reason Barry even has a costume in the first place. Jessie running all over the place without her regular clothes catching fire.

Shaanyboi

Banned
Guess they just sort of forgot the reason Barry even has a costume in the first place. Jessie running all over the place without her regular clothes catching fire.
Barry does it too. Sometimes his shoes catch fire, sometimes not. Because Speedforce.

WedgeX

Banned
I'm curious if they'll ever play with the fact that Barry, Wells and Jessie's memories of the past year are different than everybody else's. Maybe minorly different, but all three remember the original universe.

When it was just Barry who knew the original timeline, whatever. But now you have three characters who all remember that timeline.

Hopefully Harry starts probing about what has changed. Barry only asks other people "what has changed" when...how would they even know?

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that

Its like the time slowing down for the speedster thing. They only use it for comedic effect. Otherwise it never comes into play because the speedsters should have ages to dodge simple punches.

NeonBlack

Its like the time slowing down for the speedster thing. They only use it for comedic effect. Otherwise it never comes into play because the speedsters should have ages to dodge simple punches.

This was the hardest thing to get past when I first started watching.

"You have the power of speed, how are these people hitting you?!"

ZeroX03

Banned
I'm fine with there being lots of speedsters. It's the same in the comics. Max and Bart are great, I don't want a show without them. Savitar is nothing special though. I'd love to see how dirtbag they'd go with Inertia.

What I'd like to see them do - and they never would - to get around the speedsters are broken conundrum, is lower the stakes. Stop trying to push the will he win angle and just accept the inevitable. There were plenty of good issues where things weren't life or death. Less fights where he has to job. Hell, that was basically the point of the Impulse books. Wally having a public identity meant he was constantly dealing with the ramifications of Flash in his personal life, lots of stories there. But I guess a story about Barry needing to find a new home because Central City's insurance won't cover him anymore isn't compelling television.

louiedog

This was the hardest thing to get past when I first started watching.

"You have the power of speed, how are these people hitting you?!"

Or running away at normal speed?

"Where'd Magneta go in the three seconds I was taking care of that wall? I guess she got away even though I could just pop my head out that door instantly and look both ways down the hallway and see her."

TreIII

I'm fine with there being lots of speedsters. It's the same in the comics. Max and Bart are great, I don't want a show without them. Savitar is nothing special though. I'd love to see how dirtbag they'd go with Inertia.

What I'd like to see them do - and they never would - to get around the speedsters are broken conundrum, is lower the stakes. Stop trying to push the will he win angle and just accept the inevitable. There were plenty of good issues where things weren't life or death. Less fights where he has to job. Hell, that was basically the point of the Impulse books. Wally having a public identity meant he was constantly dealing with the ramifications of Flash in his personal life, lots of stories there. But I guess a story about Barry needing to find a new home because Central City's insurance won't cover him anymore isn't compelling television.

Lower the stakes, go for a more character-driven angle a la the various Gotham suggestions in this topic...they're all there, and could still make for very good television.

And I think they'll eventually have to consider it because, let's face it, Supergirl would pretty much face the same type of problems, eventually. The showrunners are going to do something else to make these shows compelling, even with the fact that Kryptonians and Speedsters are inherently broken chars.

Joni

And I think they'll eventually have to consider it because, let's face it, Supergirl would pretty much face the same type of problems, eventually. The showrunners are going to do something else to make these shows compelling, even with the fact that Kryptonians and Speedsters are inherently broken chars.

You can do a lot of superpowered characters on Supergirl. Just do aliens with completely different powers every time. Flash is just broken in one way, which makes it harder. His powerset is also smaller.

TheOMan

Tagged as I see fit
Or running away at normal speed?

"Where'd Magneta go in the three seconds I was taking care of that wall? I guess she got away even though I could just pop my head out that door instantly and look both ways down the hallway and see her."

Exactly, I was like, "Oh Magenta is Magneto + Quiksilver now? How OP is that?"

So, do we think Wally will actually be the villain speedster this season for a while? Like, it feels like that's what they're setting in motion with The Rival and Magenta, where they get their Flashpoint powers, are evil, and then can be turned good. So we're going to have Wally as the bad speedster, and then Barry and Jessie will calm him down, and we'll have Kid Flash.

I bet he'll be faster than Barry, too, when he's the bad guy, but he'll get nerfed once he's good.

Joni

So, do we think Wally will actually be the villain speedster this season for a while? Like, it feels like that's what they're setting in motion with The Rival and Magenta, where they get their Flashpoint powers, are evil, and then can be turned good. So we're going to have Wally as the bad speedster, and then Barry and Jessie will calm him down, and we'll have Kid Flash.

I bet he'll be faster than Barry, too, when he's the bad guy, but he'll get nerfed once he's good.
I don't think he will be. More like a subboss for Alchemy team.

Nah. Wally's dumbass will probably try to recreate what happened to Barry but without the explosion. He's going to talk to Barry again about how Barry got his powers and then he's going to try and replicate it. Wally disappears in the Speed Force, Barry goes into the Speed Force and get's Wally out. After being in the Speed Force, Wally learns stuff and things, his ass is now alot more mature. Kid Flash born on Earth-Prime.

So wait, is Alchemy invisible or something? Or maybe he only appears to those involved in Flashpoint?

No. It's either the powers of Savitar or Mirror Master. I'm leaning towards Savitar based on the gauntlets they showed when Clariss died.

TreIII

You can do a lot of superpowered characters on Supergirl. Just do aliens with completely different powers every time. Flash is just broken in one way, which makes it harder. His powerset is also smaller.

But I guess my thing is, depending on how far they're willing to let the Kryptonians, Martians and Daxomites level up (and giving the Donner-isms that were hinted at during Superman's appearances, it looks like the sky's the limit), they pretty much can have these super-powered aliens and their allies do whatever they want/need in order to save the day, which isn't that much better off than "Speedforce, lol" on Flash.

That's the reason why I'm hoping that they'll go for something more compelling for both of these shows, because it just shows a weakness if they continue to rely on "baddies of the week", when we could be exploring the characters themselves more.

Are loads of examples of this happening or not. Remember Felecity's top burning up? Yet Iris dress didn't burn up when he whizzed her away near the end. In Flashpoint he sped about a bunch with no suit and no burning.

Also, fuck yeah, Harry is back.

Xenoboy

What a spoopy ending, might that have been a ghost?
Sign me up for Alchemy is Caitlin's brother and Draco is Savitar.
You heard it here first.
Just imagine the midseason break ending with Caitlin face to face with Alchemy and him removing his mask and saying "Long time no see sister".

Substituting in Dante and Cisco could also work.

Regarding the next episode -
Isn't Cold supposed to show up?

While i want Jessie to stay, i really don´t want the show to spend time of seeing her training , because we went with the same thing with Barry, unless she gets different techniques.

I have no doubt that Wally will get his speed, but I think it won't be from Alchemy. I bet he'll just keep trying things until it happens. Him going into traffic was funny though

Joni

What a spoopy ending, might that have been a ghost?
Sign me up for Alchemy is Caitlin's brother and Draco is Savitar.
You heard it here first.
Just imagine the midseason break ending with Caitlin face to face with Alchemy and him removing his mask and saying "Long time no see sister".

Substituting in Dante and Cisco could also work.

Regarding the next episode -
Isn't Cold supposed to show up?

She needs a boyfriend who can turn out to be Alchemy and that is then killed by Barry.

Majin Wally and Dr Draco Alchemy are def coming. Did they ever explain what happened to Earth 1 Harrison Wells since Reverse Flash never had to kill him because he wasn't stuck in the 80s anymore. I imagine the Legends of Tomorrow could rectify this but they won't.

Joni

Majin Wally and Dr Draco Alchemy are def coming. Did they ever explain what happened to Earth 1 Harrison Wells since Reverse Flash never had to kill him because he wasn't stuck in the 80s anymore. I imagine the Legends of Tomorrow could rectify this but they won't.

He actually still had to kill Wells, to take his place and cause the particle accelerator explosion. Season 1 and 2 happened just like we saw despite Flashpoint.

Tabby

I have no doubt that Wally will get his speed, but I think it won't be from Alchemy. I bet he'll just keep trying things until it happens. Him going into traffic was funny though
I'd love it if every episode just had him doing increasingly stupid things to get powers.

mirror master really gonna be just a monster of the week?
Cold started out as a monster of the week too, didn't he?

Xenoboy

She needs a boyfriend who can turn out to be Alchemy and that is then killed by Barry.

Or they'll make it so we see brother Snow before he's revealed as Alchemy and they engage in a romantic relationship because they don't know, except for brother Snow's other personality...
Omg, what am I doing?

He actually still had to kill Wells, to take his place and cause the particle accelerator explosion. Season 1 and 2 happened just like we saw despite Flashpoint.

Ok, so I get reverse flash has to kill wells to complete the loop but I just don't see when he can when he is running around the 1940s. Season 1 and 2 def had to be very similar to the original based on this weeks episode but like for instance did Caitlyn get powers this season or always have them since the particle explosion in this new timeline.

GulAtiCa

I now imagine that the Reverse Flash left a Time Remnant behind to have the events of S1 still unfold. So I can now see the Reverse Flash popping up again and confusing the hell out of Barry.

Joni

Ok, so I get reverse flash has to kill wells to complete the loop but I just don't see when he can when he is running around the 1940s. Season 1 and 2 def had to be very similar to the original based on this weeks episode but like for instance did Caitlyn get powers this season or always have them since the particle explosion in this new timeline.

He is a time traveller. We don't even know if the Reverse Flash seen in Legends of Tomorrow has already faced young Barry or if he is the Flashpoint surviving Eobard, who might have used a time remnant to actually die in the first season.

Cafeman

Disappointing episode. We had a really hard time with the poor CW app too. It locked up, and to get back to the place we were at 30 minutes, had to watch all the commercial breaks in order again. Maybe I should just stream from the CW site again. So I'm feeling like sour grapes, here comes my moaning.

Anyway, the show teases us with Flashpoint and with the appearance of Wally/Kid Flash in the Flashpoint universe for only 1 episode, and now we have to tolerate the Jessie Quick-gets-her-powers-but-dad-is-worried episode, while Wally is depressed because he's still slow. Lame D-grade enemy in Magenta. Why is Magenta's hair highlighted in magenta?

It's the lack of attention to the Flash universe rules that is killing the fun for me, and also focusing on crap and not giving us more of the main/liked characters. Several of you mention the inconsistencies above. For example, just *some* consistency in the speed rules please writers? Jessie's dainty necklace and top didn't even rip off from the 700 MPH winds. At least they could invent a 'speed force aura' type of explanation, after having showed several times that clothes burn up / fall off at that speed. Oh, and Flash just leaves Iris at the waterfront, he can't zip her back? (How does she get home?) .

Ithil

It is quite a shame they're getting really loose and even lazy with the rules, given they were so on-point and detailed with them early in the show's run.

This sort of thing just happens as a show goes on, but still, some of these are really basic things they laid down early on. You could easily have made a gag of Jessie's clothes being on fire and Barry having to put them out with his windmill arms after they prevent the ship falling at the end, instead it's just a gaff.

Eh the episode was good, magenta was fine. I like the whole setup this season. It feels like from this episode Barry is finally realizing how much he can mess peoples lives up because of time travel

Top Bottom