• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Formula 1 2013-2014 Off-Season |OT| Powered by 1.6L V6 Turbo

Bernie's wet dream is coming true!

2AiIAtd.png

oipic

Boullier appointed as McLaren's Racing Director

The announcement of the management restructure and the resultant CEO position is probably the most interesting news from the statement... as is the decision to announce that now alongside the Boullier appointment. What's Uncle Ron up to?

I wonder if Honda will have (or have had) much influence regarding all of this? Is Ross Brawn too technical for this role, or might that be just the type they're after? Seems to be a surplus of chiefs at the moment - need to see an org chart to make sense of it.

Mastah

Does that mean Ross Brawn CEO?

Ross Brawn wanted to remain at Mercedes in Team Principal role, but they removed this position from their management structure. Given that now McLaren is following their steps, I don't think Brawn would be interested.

chadskin

AMuS reported if Hamilton had been three km/h faster right before the accident yesterday the chassis would've been damaged and they would've been done with testing in Jerez.

Quite lucky!

Lucius86

Banned
AMuS reported if Hamilton had been three km/h faster right before the accident yesterday the chassis would've been damaged and they would've been done with testing in Jerez.

Quite lucky!

How the hell can they predict that? During a crash there are so many variables at play you don't know what could have happened if he was travelling just a tiny bit faster.

Hammer24

Banned
How the hell can they predict that? During a crash there are so many variables at play you don't know what could have happened if he was travelling just a tiny bit faster.

You know the structural strength of the monocoque, as this is extensively tested.

How the hell can they predict that? During a crash there are so many variables at play you don't know what could have happened if he was traveling just a tiny bit faster.

I suspect they have just set an amount of crash energy that if it exceeds it, they replace the tub. How they measure that, be it impact G-force, speed of accident or some sort of strain gauge to measure deformation, I don't know.

You're right about it being an approximate, hence the level where a tub is declared unusable or at least needing to be reconditioned, Webber and Vettel anyone(!), is probably quite conservative. The tubs are still hand laid and as consistent as they try to be, there will always be some variation in how all the carbon, kevlar and resins go down.

cmr-94

Tobias Grüner F1 ‏@tgruener 27m
#F1 Ecclestone sent a letter to the teams. His latest plan: double points for last 3 races.

Ok, so, introduce double points plan for last race, so teams carry on development longer and more competition, therefore making fans happy. Fans outcry. Right, lets make that 3 races

Lucius86

Banned
#F1 Ecclestone sent a letter to the teams. His latest plan: double points for last 3 races.

Ok, so, introduce double points plan for last race, so teams carry on development longer and more competition, therefore making fans happy. Fans outcry. Right, lets make that 3 races

At this rate, the entire F1 season will have double points. Problem solved, everyone happy, points change heralded a success.

NHale

We are not far from the introduction of blue shells in F1.

At least its spreads the risk of a mechanical failure ruining the championship. But still al stupid rule

Osiris

I permanently banned my 6 year old daughter from using the PS4 for mistakenly sending grief reports as it's too hard to watch or talk to her
I find double point for the last 3 races a lot more acceptable than just the last race personally.

I support the attempt to reduce the likelyhood of stale championship finishes due to WDC's being won too early, the "new" points structure hasn't been providing that, and it obviously does need a fix, double-points for just the last race wouldn't be effective at achieving this, but last few races helps a lot more.

Even better would be to re-look at the points structure overall and come up with a system that works to provide a compelling championship from the first race to the last.

This was his original plan, but it got shot down and managed to get one race in its place. Can't really see him managing to convince them a second time with the same plan.

ramparter

Banned
Each driver should have a joker card. Double points for a GP of his choice.
Also before every race the drivers are randomly given RaceDay cards. Some of them are result points multipliers, 2x, 3x, other are bonus points for meeting certain critera (+3 points if you finish higher than your closest championship rival, +5 points for pissing your team race director...) other are just rules to make your day more challenging (can't pit before lap 20, can't overtake on even laps, backmarker will ignore blue flags when in front of you etc)

Hammer24

Banned
Each driver should have a joker card. Double points for a GP of his choice.
Also before every race the drivers are randomly given RaceDay cards. Some of them are result points multipliers, 2x, 3x, other are bonus points for meeting certain critera (+3 points if you finish higher than your closest championship rival, +5 points for pissing your team race director...) other are just rules to make your day more challenging (can't pit before lap 20, can't overtake on even laps, backmarker will ignore blue flags when in front of you etc)

Don´t forget that each driver gets bananas to throw out of the car during the race to distract competitors.

Yen

Random thought: All these noses make me think of the late 70s*, where there were big differences between every car, with some backmarkers doing something particularly odd. I think they should just let Marussia have a 6 wheeler, why not?

*I have limited knowledge of late 70s F1

acm2000

Quite lucky!

i wish my monocoque was extensively tested :(

the lack of Renault running, and especially Red Bull, suggests they have a lot to hide from the other teams.

Nicktendo86

From the lack of running of Renault cars I'd say they aer having problems, Seb said yesterday that the back of the car was overheating. I'd put money on that they did not expect them to heat so much and have not packaged accordingly.

Nicktendo86

Amus reporting that there is a burning smell coming from the Red Bull garage. Renault have fucked up haven't they, they will fix the ppobs I am sure (fauly crnk shaft batch is the rumour) bu tthe testing days lost are really important.

Omiee

i dont mind RBR not having it easy and having to work for it. That will make the season much more exciting. What i dont like is if they are on the backfoot. That would be sad =(

Nicktendo86

Like I said much earlier, FER is said to be ~ a week ahead of Merc.

Drive train is but one part of the equation, no one can call the aerodynamics yet. So: too soon to say, I´d say.

Indeed but without testing RB won't know about their aero. While the others are working on making their cars to faster RB will be making sure the engine doesn't blow up. As yuo say very early days here but I really wouldn't be shocked if RB is a litle behind in Oz.

Top Bottom