• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Formula 1 2013-2014 Off-Season |OT| Powered by 1.6L V6 Turbo

John_B

Rather Magnussen than another championship for Button. He belongs in the same tier as Massa.

Hamilton was much faster than Button. He was murdered in qualifying (always 3-4 tenths). Somehow Button managed to qualify evenly or a bit better than Perez last season, but I sorta expect Magnussen to gain the upper hand in qualifying after a handful of races.

Though Button has been pretty stable at grinding points and podiums.

Nicktendo86

Rather Magnussen than another championship for Button. He belongs in the same tier as Massa.

Hamilton was much faster than Button. He was murdered in qualifying (always 3-4 tenths). Somehow Button managed to qualify evenly or a bit better than Perez last season, but I sorta expect Magnussen to gain the upper hand in qualifying after a handful of races.

Tweeted magnussen to wish him luck earlier and he favoured my tweet! Lol

Kworn

Banned

Over the three seasons they were team mates they more or less scored the same points as each other. They even got the same wins as each other over the 3 seasons.

Hamilton is the better driver, but Button is more consistent and does not tend to crash into things as much.

Magnussen will not beat Button just like Perez did not come close to Button points wise.

Nicktendo86

So apparently red bull have two problems, the energy store one which is a Renault thing that they will fix tonight, the other is a packaging problem which causes the heat/smoke. In have a feeling they are fucked.

jambo

Just read on Twitter (James Allen) 2 McLaren employees have died today outside their base in Woking.

Very sad news.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-surrey-25950611

Two people were killed when their car collided with a transit van near to the McLaren headquarters in Surrey.

The driver of the van, a man in his 60s, was taken to hospital with serious injuries following the crash on the A320 at 12:10 GMT.

Two people who were travelling in a Subaru Impreza died at the scene.

Surrey Police said the road between the McLaren roundabout, through to the Otter Roundabout, would remain closed for several hours.

http://www.northwichguardian.co.uk/news/national/news/10972943.McLaren_employees_killed_in_crash/

McLaren confirmed that the two staff worked for McLaren Automotive which produces road cars and is based at the same site as the McLaren Formula 1 team.

Mike Flewitt, chief executive officer of McLaren Automotive, said: "We have been informed that we have sadly lost two hard working and extremely well-liked employees of McLaren Automotive.

=[

DBT85

So apparently red bull have two problems, the energy store one which is a Renault thing that they will fix tonight, the other is a packaging problem which causes the heat/smoke. In have a feeling they are fucked.

okwiththis.png

itsgreen

Yeah. Saw his helmet. I really feel for him.

His dad was always there for him as far as I can tell. This year won't be the same for him.

acm2000

Mercedes powered teams working together, to gather as much data as possible, Jenson Button revealed this for Sky

I imagine all the engine manufacturers are doing this as no one knows shit about their engines and it's the only way they can all learn enough in time.

Juicy Bob

Hearing rumblings that cooling is proving to be an even bigger problem for some teams than was expected and a lot more complex to try and sort out. And it's relatively cold here...

cilonen

I wouldn't say Button was in the same tier as Massa, he's better than that. massa's never had a day like Canada 2011. I do think that he's more sensitive to car setup than most - if he has the car balanced to his liking however, he's ridiculously smooth and near unbeatable.

On a different note. I'm not a fan of the look or the sound of the new cars :-(

I'm more excited about seeing the new Le Mans LMP1 machines, the Porsche especially.

DBT85

"Blue skies and shining sun. Jean-Eric Vergne's Toro Rosso has done 10 laps thus far but it is circulating slowly (1m45s best) and popping, burbling and misfiring as it comes down the main straight. Reserve driver Robin Frijns has just gone out in the Caterham but stopped coming back into the pit lane. The Caterham guys just set off down the pit lane with blowers to cool the car. No sign of Red Bull yet. The Ferrari is running cleanly, with Fernando Alonso into the 1:26s already."

The GPupdate live chat thing says Button exited his box to have the car break down after 2 meters with a loud hissing sound.

Gonna be an interesting year to say the least.

mclem

Jenson Button was unable to drive at all on the first day after McLaren ran into a series of problems, but was pretty positive after his run on Wednesday, about both the general characteristics of the new generation of cars and those of his McLaren in particular. 'I enjoy driving this car. It doesn't sound as good from the outside, but when you're driving it is quite a nice change and the power of the engine is also nice. It is very torque; it feels the most powerful engine I've driven. It obviously isn't in terms of outright power, but as a racing driver you feel the torque and so much torque is exciting. There is a lot to improve, but I know exactly how we can.' Button gets to continue his work this morning, before handing over to new team-mate Kevin Magnussen for the final day and a half.

If you ask me...

he's all torque.

Hammer24

Banned
Mercedes powered teams working together, to gather as much data as possible, Jenson Button revealed this for Sky

See, sometimes loyalty pays off, even if it only comes from a paint job... ;-)

This makes a whole lot of sense, and I imagine it has been done before.

Way less than you might think.

Windtunnels are for losers.

Oh come on guys, can´t we finally put those "FER has a bad wind tunnel" bs put to rest? We know its bogus.

Zeknurn

It does seem like Mercedes have managed to make a reliable engine. Hamilton just started the 19th lap of his stint when Alonso broke down. It will be interesting to see if the increased heat at Bahrain will effect their engine in any way.

Staab

They're having heating issues at 10°C ambient temperatures... I can't even begin to imagine how tough it will be on some of those cars in Bahrain :/

Really, really not looking good for Renault / Red Bull.

10:58 Red Bull is out. Daniel Ricciardo takes to the track for the first time in the RB10, which has completed just 11 laps so far in 2014 testing.

11:00 Red flag. We're not sure what the cause is yet.

11:00 It's the Red Bull...

navanman

Crown Prince of Custom Firmware
Combination of unreliable Renault engine and RBR extremely tight packaging is going to really hurt them this year.
It wasn't too bad when you had 3-sec lap KERS fail but if the ERS fails this year you are toast.

This year when we see Vettel waving his finger it might refer to the number of laps his car has completed

Top Bottom