• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Formula 1 2013-2014 Off-Season |OT| Powered by 1.6L V6 Turbo

Nicktendo86

Yeah, Ferrari reminds me of Nintendo lately, it's all hype, hype, hype and then nothing :p

Na man, Nintendo have given me Mario 3D World, Pikmin and fucking Donky Kong lately. Ferrari are more like Rare, had former glory like no other, most of the people who made them who they were are gone, hardly any output nowadays that nobody wants.

Melbourne will be crazy.

I'm pretty sure "cool" and "controlled" won't be words used by commentators to describe Vettel this season. The meltdown will be spectacular. It will be interesting to see what he can do in suboptimal conditions though.

Hamilton is arguably the strongest (or second strongest) qualifier on the grid. Vettel grabbed many more poles, but he had a car that could do things in corners other cars could not. Rosberg showed he could hang with Hamilton last season, but that pole lap by Hamilton in Silverstone is a level of performance that Rosberg have not shown so far.

Already it would not be optimistic to say Hamilton should take the championship, but he has shown to dish out brilliance unevenly, and somehow manages to loose a step (sometimes a fumble) somewhere over a weekend. He does not deliver when the conditions allow him to as often as Vettel and Alonso has done. Maybe he just needs to avoid the pit entry gravel in China (he must still be haunted by that moment).

I see what you mean, but he hasn't been in these conditions since, arguably, 2010 (and even then the WDC started slipping away as they reached Asia in the last third of the season). He was error-free in 2012 and still finished 100 points behind the WDC contenders.

In 2010, the machinery was ultimately not adequate enough (McLaren did not adapt to the EBD as well as Ferrari) - he had a near error-free season (aside from his accident with Webber in SIN / Massa in ITA) and was much less erratic than VET and ALO (in terms of pure driving).

Going to be very interesting to see what he can do with a fast car (2007, 2008, 2012) and a very fast teammate (in both qualifying and race).

Hamilton's just as likely to crack under pressure and throw it all away as he is to deliver stunning drives that blow everyone else out of the water.

Rosberg's performances range from calculated brilliance to middling mediocrity. Lately it seems experience has brought more of the former, and he was more than a match for Lewis last year.

This season is going to be fucking glorious.

Senna vs Prost: round 2. Massa and Bottas crashing the party!

When was that, btw?

Rosberg finished the season well, but to be honest, never seemed (aside from his run of poles in Spring) to be a threat to Hamilton on pace, until Hamilton bowed out after Spa. If Hamilton has a huge weakness, it is motivation; once WDC is all but in the bag (not for him), he tends to lose motivation, which may have contributed to him fading away late last year. In 2012 he didn't fade away, I think, because he wanted to show McLaren what they would miss the following year.

Hammer24

Banned
Rosberg finished the season well, but to be honest, never seemed (aside from his run of poles in Spring) to be a threat to Hamilton on pace.

IMO you mistake a different (read: gentle) driving style with a lack of pace.
The great thing about ROS and HAM is, that both are on so close a level, that they are able to constantly challenge and motivate each other, especially as they get along so well.
But given that reliability and a gentle approach to the car will be a key to this season, I´d give ROS a slight edge right now.

IMO you mistake a different (read: gentle) driving style with a lack of pace.
The great thing about ROS and HAM is, that both are on so close a level, that they are able to constantly challenge and motivate each other, especially as they get along so well.
But given that reliability and a gentle approach to the car will be a key to this season, I´d give ROS a slight edge right now.

HAM came in a totally new environment, had to deal with nonoptimal brakes and suspension system (FRIC-suspension doesn't mesh well with his style) and still outqualified Rosberg, who is thought to be among the very best.

Given that the cars are harder to drive, more tail happy and that the tyres are overall harder this year, I could actually see HAM being the faster of the two by a more convincing margin.

I am not saying Rosberg is lacking pace. He started off the season very well, when it was clear that Lewis had more difficulty settling in, but by the time they went to Canada, Lewis was firmly on top, only to fade away in Asia as a result of Vettel dominating (and also we saw a resurgence from Rosberg, there's no denying).

It's a close pairing, but I would expect Hamilton to edge away further as he comes to grips with the FRIC system/brake-by-wire (which affects him probably the most as he relies on precise late braking for pace/overtaking - and you could see how tentative Lewis was on the brakes in races (although unrelated to BBW).

F1-GAF, if you guys are organising a league, please let me know; I would very much like to join as well!

Osiris

I permanently banned my 6 year old daughter from using the PS4 for mistakenly sending grief reports as it's too hard to watch or talk to her
just asked myself who on earth would think that this shit is funny at all.

English football fans are fully aware of our terrible history with penalty shootouts, and find most jokes referencing that quite funny.

Hammer24

Banned
ksharp, lets agree they are close.
Last years car had so many problems, that both weren´t really able to show their full potential. Lets hope this years car is really great and reliable, and have them fight it out on the track. I´m obviously rooting for ROS, but I take a HAM win in a heartbeat! :)

Every season does have it's own dynamics. Trying to make a point with 5 years old stuff is a little childish.

Though I would say it would be a big joke if the next WDC isn't a driver who drives a Mercedes powered car.

Why exactly would that be a joke? Just curious. I mean, whoever does the best job, earns the WDC. And no champ has ever been crowned in winter testing. :)

When was e last time when the gap between the engine suppliers was so big in the winter testings?
It would be a miracle if Red Bull could beat a handful Mercedes powered cars in the first races.

Hammer24

Banned
Well, the overheating problems IMO point more to car design flaws, then to engine problems per se. Even the less hp than Merc doesn´t have to mean much.
If the FER and REN engines would consume less gas and thus enable the drivers to push more than Merc, just to make one example, it would be far from impossible to fight for wins.
And the reliability of this totally new tech makes it even more of a lottery.

Well, the overheating problems IMO point more to car design flaws, then to engine problems per se.

If there was a single Renault car in the top ten I'd say you'd have a point... the reality looks somewhat different though.

If it was just Red Bull having issues, then sure... packaging problem, but when you have the Caterham and the Lotus bursting into flames (hardly the most tightly packaged cars) then I'd suggest that the real source of the problem is pretty obvious.

Hammer24

Banned
Well, RBR make it look like it would "only" be a problem of the power unit software. That's why they set up a taskforce which they sent to REN to sort it out. If that's really all there is to it...

Will be an exciting season! :)

Zeknurn

@alo_oficial: Not sure who did this, just found here on twitter, but it's epic..
Bh0JJWQCcAAyuln.jpg:large

Perfect.

Addnan

In all seriousness I will do it. Won't be as fancy as yours but it won't be stupid either heh. May be copying your style of calendar.

8PIeajV.png

DrM

Redmond's Baby
Williams made deal of the life going with Mercedes engine. Also they are the team that switched to 2014 development very early and this can be seen. Plus they have lots of new sponsors this year, so money will not be an issue.

Williams made deal of the life going with Mercedes engine. Also they are the team that switched to 2014 development very early and this can be seen. Plus they have lots of new sponsors this year, so money will not be an issue.

I'm sure Pat Symonds has also been a great asset for them.

TCRS

Banned
let's think of titles for the new thread. I can't think of any right now but then I'm the most uncreative person on earth.

Scottify

Formula 1 2014 Season |OT| Even Ron Jeremy is Jealous
Formula 1 2014 Season |OT| 9" of Speed
Formula 1 2014 Season |OT| Adults Only, Not Safe for Underage Viewing

Meh, funnier in my head methinks.

Massa did that time on SS no?

Top 3 were all on the supersoft tyre.

MERCEDES AMG F1 @MercedesAMGF1

Hi all.. just to confirm, it was the supersoft tyre that Lewis used to set the fastest time yesterday.

1 - Massa 1m33.258s
2 - Hamilton + 0.020
3 - Rosberg + 0.025
4 - Bottas + 0.029 - (supersoft time corrected, 7 tenths faster than soft according to Pirelli)

Shit is tight!

All Merc powered cars and Ferrari will be spread by 5 tenths when they're going full ham in qualifying.

malyce

Top 3 were all on the supersoft tyre.

1 - Massa 1m33.258s
2 - Hamilton + 0.020
3 - Rosberg + 0.025
4 - Bottas + 0.029 - (supersoft time corrected, 7 tenths faster than soft according to Pirelli)

Shit is tight!

All Merc powered cars and Ferrari will be spread by 5 tenths when they're going full ham in qualifying.

If I'm not mistaken, Ham ran that time on a set of used softs. He had 2 attempts on the super-soft tire and couldn't better his time. He blamed it on the setup, while admitting that Merc has a bit more in the tank.

If I'm not mistaken, Ham ran that time on a set of used softs. He had 2 attempts on the super-soft tire and couldn't better his time. He blamed it on the setup, while admitting that Merc has a bit more in the tank.

Obviously Mercedes is lying about the tires in their tweet

malyce

Obviously Mercedes is lying about the tires in their tweet

Unless it was a dream, I'm pretty sure I read an article yesterday with quotes from Ham saying he ran on softs, then switched to ss and couldn't better his time. Or maybe I'm beginning to lose my mind. Maybe I it was indeed a dream as I can't seem to find it in my history.

Top Bottom