• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Formula 1 2013-2014 Off-Season |OT| Powered by 1.6L V6 Turbo

It really is starting to look likely that we'll have a heavy dose of petulant Vettel to look forward to on top of everything else this season. That's his only entertaining mode.

Can't wait.

DBT85

After tha last few years, I can't help but feel that this must all be sandbagging on RBR's part.

Lol. They might be a strong team of engineers, but not so strong that they don't need to test properly. I think every team has probably done more laps than RBR by this point.

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
After tha last few years, I can't help but feel that this must all be sandbagging on RBR's part.

Of course. Cutting holes in your bodywork is all just a trick to lull the competition into security. Based Horner continues to be a genius.

Nevertheless, if the Renault engine itself is powerful enough and the current issues all "just" related to installation and software integration, they could be serious contenders again soon, but in Melbourne a finish would already be a success.

Shaneus

Of course. Cutting holes in your bodywork is all just a trick to lull the competition into security. Based Horner continues to be a genius.
tumblr_m3ud0ugSOO1qf6i04.jpg

Nicktendo86

I don't knowif its sandbagging or what but McLaren are slooooooow. Williams seems to have lot of pace, we know merc are good. The updates are just not coming for McLaren, are they behind schedule? Is the suspension causing problems? Are they holing back to not give to much away? Amazing that williams, on a much smaller budget, seem to be doing a better job. If Massa does better than either Ferrari it would be amazing.

FuturusX

So what's the official word on Red Bull. Why are they having so many issues? Surely we can't look to the Renault for the source of all the issues. They are the world champions I expected them to handle the transition much better than this.

Jibbed

Looks like Mclaren are indeed slower than the previous tests have suggested, Williams and Ferrari are now chasing Mercedes for the top spot. Force India are also impressing with their race pace (simulated obviously). Marussia surprisingly seem to have a foot solidly in the midfield door so to speak, and there is some decent pace hidden within that Red Bull. It just can't do more than a few laps at a time without catching fire. Yet.

Button re: Mclaren vs. other teams pace:
"Last week we felt we were pretty good on the race simulation. This week, not so much so far in the heat," says Button. "On low fuel I don't know, but on high fuel I would say we are lacking compared to a couple of teams out there, probably more than we expected.

"The last test I would have said the Mercedes is very strong on one-lap pace, but the Williams was quicker over a race distance. At this test the Mercedes is as quick as it was. I think the Williams is also. But now you have the Force India, which is competitive, and you also have the Red Bull that looks competitive, the Ferrari that looks a lot more competitive than last week as well, so it's changing all the time."

Revised pace/order predictions:

Tier 1:
Mercedes
Williams
Ferrari

Tier 2:
Force India
Mclaren
Red Bull

Tier 3:
Toro Rosso
Marussia
Sauber
Caterham

So what's the official word on Red Bull. Why are they having so many issues? Surely we can't look to the Renault for the source of all the issues. They are the world champions I expected them to handle the transition much better than this.

Cooling (or lack of) due to the tight packaging which Newey has produced.

Jibbed

Only significant thing to change at RBR from this year to last is Webber's absence. Bet the team's missing him now!

It seems like all the reliability issues that somehow 'missed' Vettel these past 4 years have decided to strike him down before the season has even began.

Webber's probably laughing from the cockpit of his shiny new Porsche.

Nicktendo86

Looks like Mclaren are indeed slower than the previous tests have suggested, Williams and Ferrari are now chasing Mercedes for the top spot. Force India are also impressing with their race pace (simulated obviously). Marussia surprisingly seem to have a foot solidly in the midfield door so to speak, and there is some decent pace hidden within that Red Bull. It just can't do more than a few laps at a time without catching fire. Yet.

Button re: Mclaren vs. other teams pace:

Revised pace/order predictions:

Tier 1:
Mercedes
Williams
Ferrari

Tier 2:
Force India
Mclaren
Red Bull

Tier 3:
Toro Rosso
Marussia
Sauber
Caterham

Cooling (or lack of) due to the tight packaging which Newey has produced.
Looks to me like Ferrari are slow as well, maybe slower than McLaren. Car looks a handfull.

I'd put it as:

RB (if car worked)

Mercedes
Williams

FI

McLaren
Ferrari
TR
Sauber
Marussia
Caterham

Lotus

RB (if car worked)

Mercedes

There's been precisely nothing that would indicate that could be the case. If there was a single Renault runner that had been within two seconds of the fastest run it would be one thing... but there hasn't been, so are you basing your guess on anything?

Nicktendo86

There's been precisely nothing that would indicate that could be the case. If there was a single Renault runner that had been within two seconds of the fastest run it would be one thing... but there hasn't been, so are you basing your guess on anything?
Just a hunch, and trackside reports say it LOOKS like it have down force to spare. I dunno.

McLaren and Ferrari are dogs though :(

FuturusX

Can't really judge the RB aero package, they have had no serious running. I expect them to struggle until they can develop the car rather than fix it.

DrM

Redmond's Baby
Mercedes with gearbox issue - looks like they did not replaced it yesterday and they are losing precious time today with change

Mastah

Oops, it broke again:

09:03 We have our first red flag of the day. There appears to be a car off at Turn 1.

09:04 It's the Red Bull of Vettel. The car has a hint of smoke, but the most bizarre thing is that the Red Bull - which appears to have gone straight on - is at 180 degrees to the direction of the track.

09:05 Fire extinguishers are in action, tending to the rear of the RB10.

Or not?

BBC F1 pit-lane reporter Tom Clarkson: "BBC cameraman Iain Smith was at Turn 1 to capture Sebastian Vettel's spectacular spin a few moments ago. The reigning champ locked up all four wheels, before spinning through 180 degrees in the asphalt run-off area. After getting out of the car, he took a fire extinguisher from the nearest marshal and put out a small fire at the back of the car. How serious is the damage and will Red Bull get out again today?"

Jibbed

I've been watching the lower half of the field the past few days and it seems like Caterham is finally getting somewhere, pace-wise them and Marussia seem to be within reaching distance of Sauber. Chilton has had an absolutely abysmal day today though (electrical issues apparently), looks like he's going to end the test with only 20 or so laps on the board and +5s off the Williams benchmark.

Up at the front, Williams again are looking very strong. Massa or Bottas on the podium wouldn't be a bad shout for Melbourne. I'll post some select excerpts from Autosport's final test write-up when it appears later today or tomorrow.

Hamilton vs Massa in 2014? :lol

Massa deserves another shot so yeah, I can get behind this!

Ferrari is by no means a tier 1 team. I'd root for Williams, though.

In Alonso's hands the Ferrari seems pretty good on long runs... it does seem to lack the outright pace of Mercedes and Williams though. I would currently consider Force India to be 'matched' with Ferrari.

Lotus finished for today with engine fire.

Mercedes evaluating different cooling solutions

Mercedes, Ferrari and Mclaren have been trying different engine covers for the past 2 tests now. A few journalists seem to think they'll be changing them on a race-by-race basis depending on ambient temperature.

DrM

Redmond's Baby
Looks like issues at Ferrari, they have been in garage for several hours now...

Red flag party started by Hulkenberg and followed by Alonso

NHale

If I was a betting person I would put money on Massa to win at Melbourne. The only thing that ruins my predictions is his ability to start seeing ghosts under pressure like in previous years. But I believe the change of scenery is going to fix that too.

DrM

Redmond's Baby
Caterham ends preseason test early due to clutch malfunction

Force India ends early - power unit trouble

Its only testing and has been seen many times in the past,you can look good in testing and then a total retard in the first race.

The biggest story is how Vettel takes his possible new position in the mid field. Like Alonso mused: Will he outperform the car and show how incredible he is, or will his 4 titles in a rocketship make him look bad.
He did outperform his STR once, but lets see.

Staab

I think those times we're getting from this afternoon are pretty close to barebones quali pace and you have to say that Williams look like the Lotus of 2014...
It would be great to see them back at the top, especially with the beautiful Martini livery, and what a story that would be for Massa !

Mastah

Ted Kravitz ‏@tedkravitz 7m

Stefano Domenicali says Ferrari are behind Mercedes and Williams on pace at present but cd change in Melbourne. McL & FIndia also up there

Yeah, it could change in Melbourne. For worse, lol.

Ted Kravitz ‏@tedkravitz 7m

Stefano Domenicali says Ferrari are behind Mercedes and Williams on pace at present but cd change in Melbourne. McL & FIndia also up there

8YnfWbj.gif

They've been in the same shit for 5 years now, nothing changes.

NHale

Williams also confirmed today problem was the only reliability reliability problem they had in the entire 12 days of testing.

Get ready for Massa WDC.

only to lose it on the last corner again

DrM

Redmond's Baby
Yeah, conflicting reports with Mercedes twitter post about supersofts, but Lewis managed that time several minutes before that Tweet..

Allen is reporting this:
A lap of 1:33.278 saw the 2008 World Champion snatch the fastest time away from Williams’ Bottas in that hour, taking 0.7s off the Finn’s time. Hamilton then returned to the pits for a set of Pirelli’s super soft tyres and the prospect of seeing Mercedes’ true pace in the final 30 minutes of the day.
If they are really on softs, this would mean that they are way ahead

Lewis is very satisfied with their car and he tried quite hard to downplay chances for Melbourne when talking to press.

John_B

Melbourne will be crazy.

I'm pretty sure "cool" and "controlled" won't be words used by commentators to describe Vettel this season. The meltdown will be spectacular. It will be interesting to see what he can do in suboptimal conditions though.

Hamilton is arguably the strongest (or second strongest) qualifier on the grid. Vettel grabbed many more poles, but he had a car that could do things in corners other cars could not. Rosberg showed he could hang with Hamilton last season, but that pole lap by Hamilton in Silverstone is a level of performance that Rosberg have not shown so far.

Already it would not be optimistic to say Hamilton should take the championship, but he has shown to dish out brilliance unevenly, and somehow manages to loose a step (sometimes a fumble) somewhere over a weekend. He does not deliver when the conditions allow him to as often as Vettel and Alonso has done. Maybe he just needs to avoid the pit entry gravel in China (he must still be haunted by that moment).

ramparter

Banned
I hope Ros gives hamilton a tough challenge and they end up ruing each other's race. Then Massa gets the title at last race with the double points. Kind of what happened in 2007.

Top Bottom