• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Formula 1 2013-2014 Off-Season |OT| Powered by 1.6L V6 Turbo

Zeknurn

@iGPManager
Meanwhile, at Red Bull, they found out what happens when you spend the last four seasons on 100%....
BhvMtMLCEAEEXLz.jpg:large

Jibbed

Newey's face in that is perfect, wouldn't make a bad avatar either haha.

Interestingly enough, Hamilton's been quoted today saying he doesn't doubt Red Bull have a 'stunning' car and they'll be fighting for wins from the beginning.

Yeah, conflicting reports with Mercedes twitter post about supersofts, but Lewis managed that time several minutes before that Tweet..

Allen is reporting this:

Ahh, fair enough. Meaty time then. We could even see qualifying times faster than last year.

DrM

Redmond's Baby
Ahh, fair enough. Meaty time then. We could even see qualifying times faster than last year.
Sky is reporting opposite, but it is just not possible looking on timeframe and opposite from Lewis statement on Sky (two supersoft attempts, both bad)

Mercedes completed 4973 km , Mercedes powered teams 17993 km during testing

Lewis had huge grin on his face today when he approached the media, this is good sign for Mercedes.

navanman

Crown Prince of Custom Firmware
Rosberg is my outside bet for WDC.
He has the Lauda like brains and skills to not just win races but settle for whats good enough in the long season to win the championship.

olore

He has the Lauda like brains and skills to not just win races but settle for whats good enough in the long season to win the championship.

Unfortunately you might be right. I just wish that no 44 has learned that too. Even though Hamilton is older(=wiser?), I`m afraid too much of Sennas do-or-die mentality consisting of if-you-do-not-go-for-a-gap-then-you`re-not-a-racing-driver still is Lewis`s modus operandi. If he just learns to back of a fraction of a percent perhaps it would gain him more in the long run. Then, hindsight from the armchair is 20/20, he is in the cockpit making the split-second decisions etc etc...

My usual favourites aside, Rosberg is who I'd like to see win this year's championship. Maybe Massa just to further compound Alonso's torment. :D

Fastest laps Bahrain 1 / 2

Drivers:

1 - Massa 1m33.258s
2 - Hamilton + 0.020
3 - Rosberg + 0.025
4 - Bottas + 0.729
5 - Alonso + 1.022
6 - Magnussen + 1.652
7 - Button + 1.699
8 - Perez + 2.032
9 - Raikkonen + 2.168
10 - Hulkenberg + 2.319
11 - Vergne + 2.443
12 - Ricciardo + 2.487
13 - Kvyat + 2.855
14 - Sutil + 3.209
15 - Chilton + 3.577
16 - Bianchi + 3.829
17 - Gutierrez + 3.922
18 - Vettel + 4.210
19 - Ericsson + 4.825
20 - Kobayashi + 5.133
21 - Maldonado + 5.449
22 - Grosjean + 8.412

Teams:

1 - Williams
2 - Mercedes
3 - Ferrari
4 - McLaren
5 - Force India
6 - Toro Rosso
7 - Red Bull
8 - Sauber
9 - Marussia
10 - Caterham
11 - Lotus

Engine:

1 - Mercedes
2 - Mercedes
3 - Mercedes
4 - Mercedes
5 - Ferrari
6 - Mercedes
7 - Mercedes
8 - Mercedes
9 - Ferrari
10 - Mercedes
11 - Renault
12 - Renault
13 - Renault
14 - Ferrari
15 - Ferrari
16 - Ferrari
17 - Ferrari
18 - Renault
19 - Renault
20 - Renault
21 - Renault
22 - Renault

Combined winter testing laps:

1 - Rosberg 554 laps
2 - Alonso 529 laps
3 - Magnussen 486 laps
4 - Bottas 449 laps
5 - Hamilton 421 laps
6 - Gutierrez 403 laps
7 - Massa 400 laps
8 - Sutil 372 laps
9 - Raikkonen 344 laps
10 - Hulkenberg 343 laps
11 - Perez 337 laps
12 - Button 326 laps
13 - Ericsson 286 laps
14 - Kobayashi 262 laps
15 - Vergne 257 laps
16 - Kvyat 207 laps
17 - Bianchi 184 laps
18 - Vettel 161 laps
19 - Ricciardo 158 laps
20 - Maldonado 147 laps
21 - Chilton 131 laps
22 - Grosjean 91 laps
23 - Nasr 87 laps
24 - Juncadella 81 laps
25 - Frijns 78 laps

Teams:

1 - Mercedes 975 laps
2 - Williams 936 laps
3 - Ferrari 873 laps
4 - McLaren 812 laps
5 - Sauber 775 laps
6 - Force India 761 laps
7 - Caterham 626 laps
8 - Toro Rosso 464 laps
9 - Red Bull Racing 319 laps
10 - Marussia 315 laps
11 - Lotus 238 laps

Engines:

1 - Mercedes 3484 (871 laps per team average)
2 - Ferrari 1963 (654.33 laps per team average)
3 - Renault 1647 (411.75 laps per team average)

R.I.P Lotus

Nicktendo86

Massa did that time on SS no?
Edit: got days mixed up, but here was today
1. L Hamilton Mercedes 1m33.278s Soft Used
2. V Bottas Williams 1m33.987s Soft New
3. F Alonso Ferrari 1m34.280s Supersoft New
4. N Hulkenberg Force India 1m35.577s Supersoft New
5. J-E Vergne Toro Rosso 1m35.701s Supersoft New
6. A Sutil Sauber 1m36.467s Supersoft New
7. M Chilton Marussia 1m36.835s Supersoft New
8. E Gutierrez Sauber 1m37.303s Supersoft New
9. S Vettel Red Bull 1m37.468s Soft Used
10. J Button McLaren 1m38.111s Medium New
11. K Kobayashi Caterham 1m38.391s Soft New
12. R Grosjean Lotus 1m39.302s Soft New

Ark

The real question is whether Rosberg can handle the pressure. Hamilton's probably in his prime now. If we're assuming a Mercedes win I'd give it to Hamilton purely based on that I haven't seen anything from Rosberg that made me go "oh, shit, look at that" whereas Hamilton, Vettel, Alonso, and Kimi have.

I'm not saying he doesn't have the potential, or the speed. He's definitely got both of those in the bag, it's just question of if he has that little bit more. Either way Hamilton won't win, he's got a similar curse to Alonso :p

The real question is whether Rosberg can handle the pressure. Hamilton's probably in his prime now. If we're assuming a Mercedes win I'd give it to Hamilton purely based on that I haven't seen anything from Rosberg that made me go "oh, shit, look at that" whereas Hamilton, Vettel, Alonso, and Kimi have.

I'm not saying he doesn't have the potential, or the speed. He's definitely got both of those in the bag, it's just question of if he has that little bit more. Either way Hamilton won't win, he's got a similar curse to Alonso :p
when has Nico Rosberg given us a legendary drive like Hamilton did at Silverstone in 08. when has Nico Rosberg shown us an iron will like Hamilton did that same year in Hockenheim.

when has Nico Rosberg given us a legendary drive like Hamilton did at Silverstone in 08. when has Nico Rosberg shown us an iron will like Hamilton did that same year in Hockenheim.

Give him a car capable of regularly winning races (rather than just qualifying) and we may yet see.

Jibbed

Hamilton's just as likely to crack under pressure and throw it all away as he is to deliver stunning drives that blow everyone else out of the water.

Rosberg's performances range from calculated brilliance to middling mediocrity. Lately it seems experience has brought more of the former, and he was more than a match for Lewis last year.

This season is going to be fucking glorious.

Senna vs Prost: round 2. Massa and Bottas crashing the party!

malyce

Not that Lewis drove the perfect season or anything, but I still say had McLaren not fuck up so badly in '12 the outcome would've been different. That was probably the only year of the last 4 that he had a car good enough to challenge RBR. Lewis is gonna outdrive Nico, sure Nico has good pace and with a good car he'll definitely do some damage, but I still don't put him up there with Ham/Kimi/Vet*/Alonso. I also see a lot of people sleeping on Hulk, he had a great fucking season in that Sauber last year. I expect him to be a contender for podiums this year with FI.

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
Could we see the rise of Williams once again?

I hated Williams back in the days when Shuey and Dill where fighting for the championship. *g* But I would love to see them succeed consistently again. Their average performance over the last (almost) ten years has been a shame for a team with William's pedigree.

Shaneus

I hated Williams back in the days when Shuey and Dill where fighting for the championship. *g* But I would love to see them succeed consistently again. Their average performance over the last (almost) ten years has been a shame for a team with William's pedigree.
Seemed to start (or was at least underway) around the time Webber joined. I think he let his love for the name cloud his judgement when he chose them over (I think?) Renault. Plus, Massa getting a podium or two would always be welcomed.

I've not seen/noticed much of Bottas as far as performance in a competitive car goes, but they could well be a manufacturer to look out for if they both consistently finish in the top 6 (which is entirely possible, depending on Renault's performance/reliability obv).

If Williams are competitive it would redeem the whole season for me.
I reckon it would too. I think Frank deserves it. Plus, dat Martini livery. I think like Caterham a few years back, Williams will be my underdog(ish) team this year.

At least the merch should look slick ;)

Staab

I'll be pleased if anyone wins the championship... anyone but Vettel and Maldonado.
So things are looking up this season :p

I love how some people of the press are talking about how 'Ferrari is much faster than it looks, and just playing the underdog role, sandbagging yadayadayada'.

No they are not. The car just isn't good enough once again. I'm not getting my hopes up this season.

Nicktendo86

I love how some people of the press are talking about how 'Ferrari is much faster than it looks, and just playing the underdog role, sandbagging yadayadayada'.

No they are not. The car just isn't good enough once again. I'm not getting my hopes up this season.
Yeah, no way are they sandbagging. The car will improve befofrw Melbourne, but so will the others. They and McLaren have not done a good enough job. Merc, Williams, Force India have.

ramparter

Banned

Yeah, Ferrari reminds me of Nintendo lately, it's all hype, hype, hype and then nothing :p

Ark

Give him a car capable of regularly winning races (rather than just qualifying) and we may yet see.

Absolutely. We need to see what he can accomplish on a consistent-winning platform.

Not that Lewis drove the perfect season or anything, but I still say had McLaren not fuck up so badly in '12 the outcome would've been different. That was probably the only year of the last 4 that he had a car good enough to challenge RBR. Lewis is gonna outdrive Nico, sure Nico has good pace and with a good car he'll definitely do some damage, but I still don't put him up there with Ham/Kimi/Vet*/Alonso. I also see a lot of people sleeping on Hulk, he had a great fucking season in that Sauber last year. I expect him to be a contender for podiums this year with FI.

Feel free to do the math yourself, but if McLaren hadn't fucked over Hamilton (and if he'd had just a tiny, tiny amount of luck) he'd have won the 2012 title by a reputable margin.

Hamilton's just as likely to crack under pressure and throw it all away as he is to deliver stunning drives that blow everyone else out of the water.

Rosberg's performances range from calculated brilliance to middling mediocrity. Lately it seems experience has brought more of the former, and he was more than a match for Lewis last year.

I couldn't disagree more. If you're going to say that about Hamilton, then you have to say the same about Alonso and Kimi. They're on the same level now.

I realise I always sound like a Hamilton fanboy but I promise you I'm not.

Hammer24

Banned
Small tidbit:
WIL engine failure shortly before the end of the test was exactly at the predicted eol by Merc. While WIL of course had hoped that it´d last longer, its still impressive Merc understands the power unit already so much they can predict its eol.

In other news, ROS did an interview with German newspaper Die Welt, I´ll do a quick´n´dirty translation:

Its rocket science in the cockpit
Just a couple more days until the Formula 1 season starts down under, and I´m especially looking forward to it. Many things are new. And that's why it´ll be a special challenge, for the Merc team and for me as a driver.

New engine, new hybrid, a turbo, one third less fuel consumption. That really adds up - especially for the races. By now its rocket science what we are doing in the cockpit.

By the way, we aren´t talking only about engine, we now call it the power unit. Our highest authority, the FIA, said three years ago that all teams have to change from a V8 engines to a 1.6 liter V6 engine. Now we have a turbo, just like my dad Keke did in the 80s. Because of that we now have almost as much power as in 2013.

The noise in the car is now somewhat down, its the first year I can actually hear the tires squealing in the corners. Its even down when the car stands, now its even bearable in the pits without ear plugs. But all in all, I think the sound is really cool - some kind of deep hum combined with the piping of the turbo...

The power unit is very complex. When breaking the batteries will be loaded by two electrical engines, that is called a hybrid. Those electrical engines offer for 33.3 seconds per lap additional 161 extra hp. When you crashed those out, its over for the rest of the lap. So you always gotta think in every situation: Am I going to overtake the car in front? or not - and save some fuel behind him, even if I could take him?

We spent a lot of hours in the simulator over the winter, I literally had steam coming outta my head. You have to really internalize all the new things, everything has to come to you aotumated - like a robot. Because we as drivers have to make all decisions in milliseconds. I like that, and that brings me fun. But everything added up, its of course a totally new Formula 1.

I really loved sitting down with the engineers and think everything through. Where we are going to make decisions concerning the development steps, what tactics we are going to use in races. We had to think of new code words and short words for pit orders.

The cars all got heavier, because the power unit consists of many more parts. That's why I had to literally go hungry over the winter, to get down to the team imposed weight limit. Every gram on your body costs real time per lap. In the race you have to do with 100 kgs of gas, that's a third less than the 150 up to now. All teams have to really drive economically, and it could really be that some teams wont finish in Melbourne if they choose the wrong tactics.

Our cars are still a little slower than the old ones, because there is less aerodynamics. The cars slip more in the corners. Last year we simply had more downforce. But for the 2014 cars its banned to use exhaust gases for downforce. But we are still going to get a lot quicker, as our engineers are going to do some magic. That's what I love about Formula 1, whoever is creative is also fast.

A big talking point this year will be to even finish at the beginning of the season. It could really be, that not the fastest but the most reliable car is going to win. The new systems are really complicated, the cars are prototypes. And if the new hybrid, called ERS, fails, you have zero chance. The you are out of 33 seconds of extra hp. The you´re going to be a snail on track.

A closing word concerning the noses: Some teams really came to very ugly solutions, oh my! Our Merc nose is really the nicest. But in the ends looks don´t count, your nose has to simply be the fastest.

Unbelievable, but the season will start very soon. I´m really happy with my situation, because the project Silver Arrow is really exciting. I´m here since day one, four years ago, and have a really good insight on the positive development the team has taken. A lot has been done, and a lot has changed, on every level.

We´ve been through hard times, and I really hope we did a good job over the winter, so we can take the next step and win more reaces this year than last year. Just like last winter, when we were able to shave off several seconds towards Sebastian Vettel and RBR, and in the end were even able to finish second in the constructors.

I´m flying down to Melbourne this Friday, so I got a couple of days to get over the jetlag. That's always a concern.

But when the lights go out at the start, it´ll hopefully take off!

PS: Every mistake made in translation is purely my inability!

Shaneus

Small tidbit:
WIL engine failure shortly before the end of the test was exactly at the predicted eol by Merc. While WIL of course had hoped that it´d last longer, its still impressive Merc understands the power unit already so much they can predict its eol.
This is really, really good news. Sounds like WIL have a lot of things tuned fairly well. I say that having not seen the times they're pulling, but reliability wise they should be somewhat safe.

Hasney

This is really, really good news. Sounds like WIL have a lot of things tuned fairly well. I say that having not seen the times they're pulling, but reliability wise they should be somewhat safe.

Massa is pulling some damn good times out of the car too, so will be interesting to see how they qualify.

Hammer24

Banned
I think the worth of qualifying (and tires, for that matter) will greatly diminish this year. Reliability, tactics, gas consumption will play a much bigger role I´d say. Oh, and with the ERS it should get easier to overtake.

Hasney

Oh, he is? I hadn't seen any times. That's really good to know. And Bottas being competitive with him?

In terms of the fastest laps in Bahrain, it was:

1. Massa
2. Hamilton
3. Rosberg
4. Bottas

In the last day, Bottas was second fastest behind Hamilton, but was 0.7 seconds offon new softs compared to Hamiltons scrubbed softs.

Qualifying is going to be really interesting either way.

Top Bottom