• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Formula 1 2013 Season |OT| End of the Webber Era

Wow! An F1 thread on GAF. Watching free practice 2 now and searched for Kimi. Hoping it doesn't rain tomorrow (for Kimi's sake) while at the same time hoping for rain (to spice up the race).

Went to the Barcelona GP and can't get enough F1 this year.

DrM

Redmond's Baby
Lots of lawn mowing action in Fp2

LOL at Rosberg's radio - Rear tyres a bit too hot, front ones are too cold :D

Hammer24, any new spicy info from the pit lane?

Addnan

Jon Noble Jon Noble ‏@NobleF1

Paul Hembery will not be taking part in FIA press conference later today, following legal advice from Pirelli's lawyers...

Jon Noble Jon Noble ‏@NobleF1

Paul Hembery will not be taking part in FIA press conference later today, following legal advice from Pirelli's lawyers...

Well, I don't think he'd be invited if they were tossing them, but he is taking legal advice, so that must mean a huge fine coming their way.

Leunam

Wow! An F1 thread on GAF. Watching free practice 2 now and searched for Kimi. Hoping it doesn't rain tomorrow (for Kimi's sake) while at the same time hoping for rain (to spice up the race).

Welcome to the thread. :)

Another Kimi fan! ,,

Cheers!

Leunam

Evenin' guys. Don't have a lot of time but I wanted to make a request. Normally I'd PM a few people and ask for quote for the preview. I don't have time to make individual PM's tonight so if anyone would like to submit a quote like the ones in this post I'd really appreciate it and I'm sure some other posters would, too. Thanks in advance.

dubc35

vkkGxHE.png

I'm 70th in the league :(

Seanspeed

Banned
Well, I don't think he'd be invited if they were tossing them, but he is taking legal advice, so that must mean a huge fine coming their way.
I dont want them fined. I want them to pay for every single other team on the grid to test with their 2013 cars with the 2014 tires to even the playing field.

No fine is going to erase the advantage that Mercedes has with knowledge of the new regulation tires. Thats seriously such a massive boost for them over everybody else.

I dont want them fined. I want them to pay for every single other team on the grid to test with their 2013 cars with the 2014 tires to even the playing field.

No fine is going to erase the advantage that Mercedes has with knowledge of the new regulation tires. Thats seriously such a massive boost for them over everybody else.

That would be a reasonable penalty. Expensive, but reasonable. Either way Pirelli will have to open their wallet. Merc could pay cash at that point for their involvement. Maybe vacate Monaco points as well.

Shaneus

That would be a reasonable penalty. Expensive, but reasonable. Either way Pirelli will have to open their wallet. Merc could pay cash at that point for their involvement. Maybe vacate Monaco points as well.
They'd have to do it soon though... obviously the best time for this would be the mid-season break, and there's only one race after Montreal before that happens, yes?

DBT85

That's fine, so long as everyone also gets unmarked tyres like Merc did.

Hammer24

Banned
Radio Pitlane:
- longruns show FER in the low 18´s, RBR in the high 18´s to be the fastest cars - but its known that FER uses less fuel on Fridays than RBR, so expect them to change places in the race
- LOT very slow on longruns, so everybody expects them to go for one stop
- GRO tested new tyres and is happy with them: no difference in feel, takes a little longer to get on temperature - but it was the harder compound so no real comparison, wont give a final verdict until he tried them in hotter conditions
- VET didn´t try the new tyres, said it was too cold to get any useful data
- Hembery said the tyres were on average 8 to 10° cooler, which is exactly what Pirelli hoped for
- MCL wants three answers from the new tyres: average temp, changes in aerodynamics and does the tyre hit the brakes or undercarriage - so far they are pleased with what they found
- FI signals cooperation: Szafnauer said they´d accept the new tyres if they don´t change the driving characteristics
- But: LOT signaled to Pirelli they are going to veto the new tyres no matter what. Hembery was frustrated, said they´ll have to scrap the development and use the old tyres for the rest of the season ("So we´ll have a couple more four stop races - but what can we do? Teams will never find common ground!")
- Pirelli will still change the current tyres, but only using more glue, and not changing the sidewalls
- Merc tribunal will be held on June 20th
- Pirelli will not be judged there, as they are no competitor in the championship
- Pirelli could only be fined by FIA directly for breach of contract, and FIA didn´t find a clause to do so
- case stands as follows:
When Merc asked FIA to hold said test, FIA told them they have to offer this test to other teams too. This would have to be done by Pirelli. Merc was responsible to ask Pirelli, if they did this. Merc wrote an eMail to Pirelli, asking Pirelli if they did. But Pirelli didn´t answer this eMail. So in the end the judges will have to decide, if writing the eMail was enough, or if Merc would have had to follow up on Pirelli not answering.
RBR signaled, that they will appeal the judges decision (so they think that Merc will walk free?), they want to make sure that Merc gets a financial fine and points docked in the constructors championship. They say its about principles...
If someone (read: RBR) appeals the judges decision, the process would be back with FIA to decide.
- so now the rumor mill is in full swing:
-- everyone knows Brawn is a goner by the end of the season. If Merc would get a fine, it´d be a nice excuse to get rid of him even earlier
-- has Todt pulled the strings in the back, basically creating this mess, to get rid of Pirelli? No one believes, Charlie Whiting was the only one at FIA knowing about the goings on
-- did Merc themselves muddy up the water to find a way to get rid of Brawn?
-- ROS and HAM are save, btw: the RBR and FER protest is "only" against the Merc team, and expressly not against the drivers - which doesn´t make sense, juristically, as the drivers did the test and thus fully participated

ramparter

Banned
and expressly not against the drivers - which doesn´t make sense, juristically, as the drivers did the test and thus fully participated
Teams expect drivers to do their job. It would be hipocritical for Ferrari and RBR to expect the drivers to do differently than what they were told. This whole issue has to do with the Mercedes team administration, not Ros or Ham and I'm glad to know they aren't going to be punished in any way.

Dead Man

- But: LOT signaled to Pirelli they are going to veto the new tyres no matter what. Hembery was frustrated, said they´ll have to scrap the development and use the old tyres for the rest of the season ("So we´ll have a couple more four stop races - but what can we do? Teams will never find common ground!")
- Pirelli will still change the current tyres, but only using more glue, and not changing the sidewalls
Good.
RBR signaled, that they will appeal the judges decision (so they think that Merc will walk free?), they want to make sure that Merc gets a financial fine and points docked in the constructors championship. They say its about principles...

Not exactly a great look to say you will appeal before a decision has even been made.

Hammer24

Banned
Teams expect drivers to do their job. It would be hipocritical for Ferrari and RBR to expect the drivers to do differently than what they were told

It was one of the fallouts of the MCL-spy-gate, that FIA said drivers are not mere "order-takers", but have to think for themselves. FIA said back then, they´ll always hold drivers responsible. That's why it makes no sense - from a pure juristical point of view.

Well, they could have made that expressly clear from the beginning, so Pirelli wouldn´t have had to sink money into a development that´ll never bear fruit. And with "they" I mean FIA. FIA´s inaction is, IMHO, inexcusable.
The vote on the new tyres will, btw, happen on next Monday.

Not exactly a great look to say you will appeal before a decision has even been made.

Makes one wonder, doesn´t it?

Dead Man

Well, they could have made that expressly clear from the beginning, so Pirelli wouldn´t have had to sink money into a development that´ll never bear fruit. And with "they" I mean FIA. FIA´s inaction is, IMHO, inexcusable.
The vote on the new tyres will, btw, happen on next Monday.

Makes one wonder, doesn´t it?

True enough. Still, any development done before a vote was taken was alays going to be at risk. But yeah, the FIA have acted like utter clowns in all this so far. No real change really ;)

Hammer24

Banned
If the drivers knowingly aided in breaking a rule then well they should be punished..

Fun fact: both drivers used neutral black helmets for the test. Now get your tinfoil hat on, everyone! ;)

But yeah, the FIA have acted like utter clowns in all this so far.

Compared to how quick they acted in other instances, no wonder the Pitlane is abuzz in rumors about a hidden agenda.

navanman

Crown Prince of Custom Firmware
Saturday update:
More rain is expected throughout today, not high intensity but quite persistent. Temperatures will stay cool with a high of around 17C. Qualifying looks likely to be wet. During practice yesterday Toro Rosso advised their drivers they would most likely end up qualifying on intermediate tyres.

Conditions for tomorrow are still set to improve with sunshine breaking through, warmer conditions and a reduced risk of rain.

Dead Man

Saturday update:
More rain is expected throughout today, not high intensity but quite persistent. Temperatures will stay cool with a high of around 17C. Qualifying looks likely to be wet. During practice yesterday Toro Rosso advised their drivers they would most likely end up qualifying on intermediate tyres.

Conditions for tomorrow are still set to improve with sunshine breaking through, warmer conditions and a reduced risk of rain.

Sounds like it's going to be a good race, I think I will have to suck it up and stay up for it.

DrM

Redmond's Baby
Ok, this will be chaotic today. I will stick with usual suspects for predictor, minus both Merc drivers

Shaneus

mqeWiAN.png

Ugh, why do I do this to myself? Again, hoping for Vettel DNF.

My prediction: I get less than 10 points this weekend. BUT... I might get way, way more.

Bahahaha

Top Bottom