• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Formula 1 2013 Season |OT| End of the Webber Era

BlazeGaj

Neo Member
If the GPDA have said they'll boycott then all of them will do it. They won't ostracise themselves by going against the thing they will have all voted and agreed upon. Isn't Vettel the current king of the GPDA?
Pedro is the chairman of sort and Jenson and Vettel are the king so to speak.

Lewis and Kimi are not part of the GDPA or the lone wolfs.

Besides there is a rule that there has to a minimum drivers/teams on the track to race I think it was 12 or something.

Sloane

Banned
Doubt anything will happen to the tires this weekend, last week was probably the exception and even then they could work around it once they knew what was up. Well, except for Perez. Guess one tire can always explode but more than that would be a surprise.

Stupid weather, by the way, been raining for weeks in Germany but this weekend it's supposed to stay dry. Wouldn't have minded a wet race.

navanman

Crown Prince of Custom Firmware
Its being reported this morning that ex-Lotus designer James Allison is joining Ferrari.
Good move for both, very talented guy and the reason he left Lotus was due to money restrictions stopping him from developing car as he had envisioned.

Hammer24

Banned
I´m with Brundle regarding the boycott: "You hold a gun to someones head, better make sure its loaded".
- not all drivers are in the union
- pressure from teams and sponsors is extremely high, especially in this cash strapped times
- as soon as a team like, say WIL, who still don´t have any points, say they will drive, you could watch the united front crumble to dust

But in the end, I expect the tyres wont be a problem, so there is nothing to fear.

Hammer24

Banned
I'm not sure I understand the problem with the tyre switching. Scarbs wrote an article on it here.

According to that the tyre has no direction but WAS sided. The tyre swapping was more about tyre conservation (putting the more worn used tyre on the side that dealt less damage to the tyres) than it was about performance. So once the tyre was on the rim it doesn't matter what side you put it on, it's all still the right way around. And it was Pirelli that mount the tyres to the rims, not the teams.

The inner shoulder was still the inner shoulder, the outer was still the outer. Pirelli aren't even the ones that mark the direction on them, the teams do it themselves.

The tyres had the material layed out in a certain direction. Its true that the teams changed them to conserve them for the most part, but highspeed video showed, that tyres churned way more when put on in the "wrong" direction.

Its being reported this morning that ex-Lotus designer James Allison is joining Ferrari.
Good move for both, very talented guy and the reason he left Lotus was due to money restrictions stopping him from developing car as he had envisioned.

As expected. Good move for both.

navanman

Looks like Mercedes are going to try their Lotus style passive DRS device this weekend.
Only testing it I would guess during practice sessions to try and get it ready for Spa and Monza.

DBT85

The tyres had the material layed out in a certain direction. Its true that the teams changed them to conserve them for the most part, but highspeed video showed, that tyres churned way more when put on in the "wrong" direction.

But they are mounted by Pirelli without direction indicators... The teams add those however they want.

And I'm surprised some of you think the GPDA won't go through with a boycott.

navanman

Looks like the FIA are going to enforce Pirelli's tyre recommendations.
It could have a huge effect on car performance this weekend, no idea who will be the biggest winner and loser.

BOZPzNHCMAEVgYh.jpg:large

Looks like the FIA are going to enforce Pirelli's tyre recommendations.
It could have a huge effect on car performance this weekend, no idea who will be the biggest winner and loser.

BOZPzNHCMAEVgYh.jpg:large

I think RB was the first to discover swapping the tire sides over along with maybe Ferrari. Mercedes discovered that trick somewhere between Barcelona and Monaco, not that anything important happened in that period. I wouldn't be surprised if Lotus and Ferrari are the big winners out of this situation.

Sloane

Banned
I think RB was the first to discover swapping the tire sides over along with maybe Ferrari. Mercedes discovered that trick somewhere between Barcelona and Monaco, not that anything important happened in that period. I wouldn't be surprised if Lotus and Ferrari are the big winners out of this situation.
Doubt it will change much. P1 probably isn't the best tell but Mercs and RBR still look great so far.

Hammer24

Banned
But they are mounted by Pirelli without direction indicators... The teams add those however they want.

No, they came with markings indicating the recommended direction.

And I'm surprised some of you think the GPDA won't go through with a boycott.

Too many people would benefit from a boycott, so I can´t see it come through.

How have we still not seen a single picture of Kimi his hair!?

He´s actively hiding them.

Sloane

Banned
Alonso looks like he is out of FP1.
Electrical or ECU problem with his car.
Yeah, looks like another great weekend for him.

Mercedes a second ahead of everyone else. Guess Red Bull will be a bit closer to them in qualifying but Ferrari and Lotus won't matter.

Addnan

Anthony Davidsons voice for 90 minutes is too much too take. Ended up muting Sky and listening to 5Live. I hate Sky weekends :(

DBT85

No, they came with markings indicating the recommended direction..

While I don't doubt you, that article by Scarbs says the opposite, and he said he talked to several technical directors. Page 50 first paragraph
http://html5.motorsportmonday.com/d...=ff1cafce-73c0-401e-9d50-dc70d0a5b982&pnum=50

Though Hembry is saying again that the swapping was a big problem http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/108545

Whatever, I hope Mercedes win the race and I hope it is Hamilton.

Adamm

Really?

I completely missed that. I thought he just got himself a badass mohawk and he was just Kimi being Kimi. Good thing I didn't get a mohawk myself yet, to look like Kimi.

He said in an interview with Sky that we would see it if he is on the podium.

So hope he does well this weekend ;)

Ce-Lin

I'm fed up with Ferrari and their awful upgrades that never seem to work, what are they doing with all the Spanish money ALO brought from Santander ? Massa has not won back to back GPs in ages, heck not even a single one, ALO outdriving the car every season just to finish second with VET ahead, must be frustrating.

I'm fed up with Ferrari and their awful upgrades that never seem to work, what are they doing with all the Spanish money ALO brought from Santander ? Massa has not won back to back GPs in ages, heck not even a single one, ALO outdriving the car every season just to finish second with VET ahead, must be frustrating.

Time to blame the windtunnel again!

Ferrari is dealing with the same issues for 3 or 4 seasons now. Bad qualifying and upgrades that don't work. They always keep talking about how they need to work on it, yet nothing happens.

John_B

Let's try to keep a cool head here. Things are not set in stone, yet. Hell, I'm thinking about putting money on Mercedes for the constructors.

Alonso just needs to keep pulling those podiums out of his rear.

Nicktendo86

Yeah, looks like another great weekend for him.

Mercedes a second ahead of everyone else. Guess Red Bull will be a bit closer to them in qualifying but Ferrari and Lotus won't matter.

It would be so amazing to see Hamilton win his first race in a merc, I was one of the ones who thought he was crazy to leave McLaren and wouldn't see him on the podium at all for a looong time. So happy to see how wrong I was.

tHoMNZ

the laptimes they pulled out were ok.. but kimi looked like he was trying his hardest just to keep it on the road, whereas the mercs and redbulls looked hooked up and neutral

DrM

Redmond's Baby
Looks like RBR and Mercedes are quite close, similar to Silverstone. But we will see more tomorrow, because we do not know fuel loads.

Another prediction nightmare incoming. Will probably go for mixed RBR-Merc for top 4

Fantomex

They just plain suck when it comes to Aero. Has been that way for 3 years. If they had an average driver who constantly finished 7th or 8th it might shake things up. But I think they hide behind the mask of Alonso's race day finishes. It's almost like he's hurting the team by finishing so high.

Omiee

Looks like it will be between rbr and mercedes again sunday.

Will be interesting to see what effect the tires will have. I think mercedes will probaly gain a bit from it.

They just plain suck when it comes to Aero. Has been that way for 3 years. If they had an average driver who constantly finished 7th or 8th it might shake things up. But I think they hide behind the mask of Alonso's race day finishes. It's almost like he's hurting the team by finishing so high.

The race pace was still pretty good in Silverstone, even Massa was 6th and looked very fast although he was victim of Pirelli's shit tires.

Wasn't Massa already fourth or fifht before the blowout?

It would be stupid to talk Ferrari small, especially if it get hotter until sunday.

Addnan

It would be stupid to talk Ferrari small, especially if it get hotter until sunday.

Their qualifying is poor though. Massa was only fifth because of an insane start that no way he or anyone is likely repeat.

DrM

Redmond's Baby

They had some pace today on softer compound, but on harder were quite some margin behind RBR , Mercedes and Lotus. And teams are planning to race 3/4 of the race on harder compound. I think that we will see 2 stopper race,or maybe some teams will try 3 stops

There are rumors that DiResta fitness trainer had a fistfight with one of the mechanics in the garage in Canada.

I'm finally getting around to watch the British GP on the iPlayer. It was terrible missing the race and the discussion afterwards and the same thing is going to happen this weekend. :/

e: I've read about the exploding tyres, but already 2 tyres after 10 laps? What the hell.

Top Bottom