• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Formula 1 2013 Season |OT| End of the Webber Era

kharma45

Excited for the return of the Austrian GP! The circuit itself is pretty interesting, but goddamn does it have a gorgeous backdrop. Photos from that GP always look amazing.

Not a great photo but still

deh0203de07.jpg

I love how it's looks like it's been designed with the topography in mind just like Spa.

paskowitz

Ooooo... my cousin's house is only 2 hours away! Ironically, it is right next to Dietrich Mateschitz's house (IDK if he is still there) in Salzburg. This is tempting.

Cool story, when I was a little kid I used to get semmels at the local bread shop in town and Mateschitz was a common customer. I never realized who he was until I was older.

I'd love to know exactly what Red Bull had to do to get that deal. Only a few months ago it was looking more likely that they'd invest in a new track as the 'ring was such a non-starter.

raindoc

I'd love to know exactly what Red Bull had to do to get that deal. Only a few months ago it was looking more likely that they'd invest in a new track as the 'ring was such a non-starter.

In january Bernie had declared that the lack of hotel rooms in the region was the "only issue"... no idea how one could address that problem in just one year.

DrM

Redmond's Baby
C'mon bring the butter

Friday: Clear. 33 degrees Celsius, few wind gusts
Saturday: Clear, 34 degrees Celsius, almost no wind
Sunday: Clear, 37 degrees Celsius, weak wind

There is great chance that Sunday will be even hotter.

C'mon bring the butter

I'm guessing that's just the predicted air temp, imagine how hot the actual track will be!

navanman

Crown Prince of Custom Firmware
C'mon bring the butter

Chance it'll be one of the top 5 hottest race weekends on record according to reports.
Bound to see tyre life issues and reliability issues as cars overheat especially those following others.

Massa

In january Bernie had declared that the lack of hotel rooms in the region was the "only issue"... no idea how one could address that problem in just one year.

You pay Bernie some more money and suddenly the hotels are in the area are just fine!

Leunam

Unless the driver jumps out of the box before being released then I don't see how a loose wheel could be their fault. Release procedures and signalling is all down to the pit crew.

Unless the driver jumps out of the box before being released then I don't see how a loose wheel could be their fault. Release procedures and signalling is all down to the pit crew.
It wouldn't be their fault, but it puts great pressure on the teams to get their shit together, which can only be a good thing.

I'm all in favour of it.

NHale

So losing a wheel results in a 10-grid penalty but unsafe release from pits is only a penalty for the team not the driver.

Someone explain me how this makes sense?

kharma45

James Allison confirmed to Ferrari. That's a great sign for them. Not sure what happened with that Honda testing deal though...

Pretty amazing videos, Wax. Such a cool idea.

Pimpwerx

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wKhu42yWLXY

Some great info on next years engine courtesy of The Racers Edge. I'll be honest, most of it went over my head

Some good stuff. I only skimmed it, but fuel supply is regulated at different rpms. Fuel economy might be the new war. Hopefully not ala CART. The turbo has a motor, so lag is gonna be low. The lack of regulation of the location of the turbo compressor inlet makes me think teams are going to use that as some aero device.

On a slightly off topic note, I finally got a good look at a the difuser on one of the latest Ferrari road cars while on my scooter the other day. I didn't realize they're using double-difusers now. That's what it looked like anyway. Pretty cool. PEACE.

navanman

Crown Prince of Custom Firmware
Looks like RBR will announce Webber's successor at either Spa or Monza.
Based on reports this morning, its not going to be Vergne, so its likely to be Ricciardio.

Addnan

Every question in the drivers conference is for Kimi lol. His answers are the same for everything. There's no guarantee, no way of knowing, etc. why do they bother lol.

Dead Man

I can't agree with this. Just seems wrong to punish the driver for the teams mess up.

Martin Brundle ‏@MBrundleF1 40s
Seems that any driver who loses a wheel in a GP weekend will now incur a 10 place grid penalty, concept of minimum pit stop time rejected

https://twitter.com/MBrundleF1/status/360437809682714624

It is a team sport. The driver is part of the team. Harsh, but short of massive fines or constructors points deductions there is no meaningful punishment that can be done without impacting the driver.

Top Bottom