• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Formula 1 2013 Season |OT| End of the Webber Era

I doubt they are picking Ricciardo over Kimi. Maybe he just wants to see out the end of his career quietly :(

as mentioned new cars..engines may take a few seasons to get to grips with.....they may want to make a long term investment rather than a short one as kimi is approaching the golden ages.

If it were the same setup as 2012/2013 id say he was a shoe in but redbull do like to promote drivers who come through their rookie program and if memory serves me correct ...riccardo set times faster than webber and vettel in their cars at testing last year

Sloane

Banned
Yeah, the Calendar is awful this year. So many long breaks.
I'd be happy if they stopped the one week breaks if it means less 3 or 4 week ones :(
One week breaks often make sense though location-wise. If anything, they should end the season a month earlier.

dubc35

The calendar does suck this year, incredibly difficult to get in a rhythm and increase hype for the GP's. The only "good" thing is the summer break is only a week longer than all of the 3 week breaks we've had already, lol.

edit: I guess it's not bad for everyone lol
j2H6HRY.png

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
Yeah, either I have to rush to catch up on F1 in order to not be behind when the next race starts (with the back to back races) or it's such a long gap that my anticipation of the next race has dwindled away to next to nothing. Still enjoying actually watching it, but it does nothing for my excitement.

This is good thought - with all the changes I think that younger drivers will struggle much more compared to more experienced guys

It could be argued that the younger drivers actually have an advantage, as they're less entrenched in the current ways so it'll actually benefit next year's rookies more.But I expect it's just going to be the usual hit-and-miss down the grid as some drivers adapt faster than others.

Seanspeed

Banned
as mentioned new cars..engines may take a few seasons to get to grips with.....they may want to make a long term investment rather than a short one as kimi is approaching the golden ages.

If it were the same setup as 2012/2013 id say he was a shoe in but redbull do like to promote drivers who come through their rookie program and if memory serves me correct ...riccardo set times faster than webber and vettel in their cars at testing last year
He did, but it was on different days and testing programs rarely go for out and out times.

I will say this, though - Ricciardo may not be such a bad option. The problem with the current pairing at Toro Rosso is that they could both be really good, but that just means they both end up looking mediocre if the car isn't any good. Its a tough situation.

And Red Bull may like to promote from within, but only to a certain extent. They've shown in the past that they require a pretty hefty impression once at Toro Rosso before moving up to the top seat. Vettel is the only one in quite a while they've felt worthy of it, and the only reason there were any who have done it before was because they were new and weren't a top team.

Personally, I'd like to see Ricciardo at Red Bull, Da Costa at Toro Rosso to replace him, and have Kimi stay at Lotus. It keeps the amount of really good drivers spread out with different teams, which is good for the spectacle and also good for a possibly struggling(financially) team. I think it would also stop all the mayhem that would occur from diehard Kimi fans when he gets beaten soundly by Vettel..... ;)

Shaneus

And Red Bull may like to promote from within, but only to a certain extent. They've shown in the past that they require a pretty hefty impression once at Toro Rosso before moving up to the top seat. Vettel is the only one in quite a while they've felt worthy of it, and the only reason there were any who have done it before was because they were new and weren't a top team.
Pretty sure Vettel is the only one ever. Webber and Coulthard didn't come through from STR and that was the last pairing before the current one.

Unless you're talking about test drivers as well, in which case I guess you could consider Buemi.

DBT85

I think it would also stop all the mayhem that would occur from diehard Kimi fans when he gets beaten soundly by Vettel..... ;)

That swings both ways lol.

I've love to see Alonso/Hamilton in the same team again and Raikonnen and Vettel in the same team. Or all 4 in the same car.

RayStorm

It would be really nice to have some sort of all-star race with the top F1 drivers competing in the same cars. GP2 cars should suffice.

lol

Edit - That reminds me, I haven't been keeping up with that fake f1 chat thing. Probably had some gold to work with lately. :)

Hmm. Can't remember the site and google's not too helpful.

Juicy Bob

The F1 Slate should really be awful, but it's actually properly funny.

In other news, lol Bernie. Looking forward to seeing him get some jail ti- oh, wait.

Shaneus

Red Bull revised their test schedule following a clarification of the permitted programmes from Pirelli and the FIA. Guess who lost his chance to drive :D

Wednesday 17 July
All Day: Antonio Felix Da Costa

Thursday 18 July
Morning: Antonio Felix Da Costa
Afternoon: Daniel Ricciardo

Friday 19 July
Morning: Carlos Sainz Jr
Afternoon: Sebastian Vettel

http://www.f1fanatic.co.uk/2013/07/17/no-red-bull-test-for-webber-after-fia-clarification/
I still don't know how they get away with having Ricciardo on there. So odd.

Surprised to see another Carlos Sainz get into motor racing! Well, not surprised that he is, just surprised it's an open-wheeler.

Edit: Never mind, one *whole* day with non-rookie drivers, so I guess Webber was to go back-to-back with RIC.

I still don't know how they get away with having Ricciardo on there. So odd.

Shows how adhocly F1 is being ran. Bernie made this sport look more organised than it actually is.

He should live forever, and I hope this case doesn't take him away from the sport.. Not that I agree with his methods. .but they work

Shows how adhocly F1 is being ran. Bernie made this sport look more organised than it actually is.

It's pretty clear if you look at the rules.

As for Bernie, the quicker he fucks off the better. He was a force for good once upon a time, but that was a long, long time ago. Now he's all about making as much for his little princesses as possible.

paskowitz

I am going to put on my flame suit and predict this movie will be mediocre. Something about it, just seems off. The scenes where they aren't racing and the Luada and Hunt aren't interacting look pretty weak. Obviously, any F1 or racing fan should see it regardless, but my movie critic senses tell me this will be mediocre overall.

I am going to put on my flame suit and predict this movie will be mediocre. Something about it, just seems off. The scenes where they aren't racing and the Luada and Hunt aren't interacting look pretty weak. Obviously, any F1 or racing fan should see it regardless, but my movie critic senses tell me this will be mediocre overall.

Mediocre by your high standards, maybe.

Lauda himself likes the movie, so do other F1 folks and non F1 people who've seen the pre-screening.

"mediocre" seems a tad harsh dont you think?

Juicy Bob

Top Bottom