• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Formula 1 2013 Season |OT| End of the Webber Era

Mohonky

Guiteraiiizzizizziz or however its spelt had a blinder, didnt he have a few others earlier this year also?

Perez in no mans land, that guy really isnt going to go anywhere, If Carlos Slim wasnt bankrolling him i honestly dont believe he would be there, or at least would not be there for long, between him and no grip, Macca are going to go no where fast.

Riciardo going strong again, he is confirmed at Redbull now isnt he? I believe he will be a better candidate to follow Vettel than Webber ever was as he is still young and showing good promise.

I just hope next years rules square all the cars up again, no doubt Newey will come out with another bullshit fast package but maybe at least they might even some out. Its interesting that Redbull come out with a great car at the start of the season but as it progresses their development just seems to get exponentially better as the season goes on where the others progress more slowly.

Great job by Perez.

Perez in no mans land, that guy really isnt going to go anywhere, If Carlos Slim wasnt bankrolling him i honestly dont believe he would be there, or at least would not be there for long, between him and no grip, Macca are going to go no where fast.

McLaren don't need Slim's money if we go by what Whitmarsh said about the Honda partnership, their budget is secured for the next 10 years. Perez needs to go.

Mohonky

Disappointing Hamilton time to be honest, good one from Crashjean though. Wonder if he can rocket into Vettel on the first corner?

Also Massa ahead of Alonso again lol. He has outdone him a few times now.

TCRS

Banned
ah, what the hell is wrong with me... I knew I'm forgetting something... THE FUCKING QUALIFYING! totally missed it.

edit: 6 and 7. jesus christ.

olore

Have to wonder why I`ve centered my saturday around this. Hard to even bother watching the race tomorrow. Hope that he gets some proper competition next year

Dead Man

Yeah, that was dull, and it will be dull tomorrow as well. Good to see Danny Ricky qualify well.

I asked last race weekend. He got fed up with the sometimes yobbish atmosphere around here and simply left. Or so I wastold

Yeah, doesn't surprise me :(

Lach

Interesting to see Sauber tomorrow.

They could have had both cars in Q3 but Hulk's KERS didn't work in Q2. That would have definitely made up the 0.05s difference to Button.

Good to see GUT overcome his Quali drought. Time after Time he was great in P2 & P3 only to disappoint in Quali.

DrM

Redmond's Baby
About 2014 calendar:
1) Races in China and Korea are switched
2) There is chance for New Jersey race in 2014 on 1st of June, but there is main logistical question (from Monaco to New Jersey and right into Montreal). 15th of June is out of question, because that is the date of Le Mans endurance race.

Provisional 2014 calendar (Korea and Mexico are written in italic, because they are not confirmed)

March 16 - Australia (Melbourne)
March 23 - Malaysia (Sepang)
April 6 - Korea (Korea International Circuit)
April 13 – China (Shanghai)
April 27 – Bahrain (Sakhir)
May 11 – Spain (Barcelona)
May 25 – Monaco (Monaco)
June 1 – TO BE CONFIRMED
June 8 – Canada (Montreal)
June 22 – Austria (Spielberg)
July 6 – Britain (Silverstone)
July 20 – Germany (Hockenheim)
July 27 – Hungary (Budapest)
August 24 – Belgium (Spa)
September 7 – Italy (Monza)
September 21 – Singapore (Marina Bay)
October 5 - Japan (Suzuka)
October 19 – Russia (Sochi)
October 26 – Abu Dhabi (Yas Marina)
November 9 – Mexico (Mexico City)*
November 16 – USA (Austin)
November 30 – Brazil (Interlagos)

FIA WMSC will discuss about this on their meeting next week in Croatia.

Hammer, anything new about 2014 engines on Radio?

Chris R

Any point in watching qualifying later? NBC didn't show it at all today due to EPL but will have it on in 9 hours or something.

Also, that schedule doesn't look so bad, going to try to get back to Austin at least, but maybe even hit up Montreal as well (if I can land a new job that pays well!).

Addnan

So what happened to Raikkonen's back? I was out all day so I missed it if anything happened.

Apparently it's a known problem he's had for a while and it just flared up this weekend. Couldn't drive properly in FP3 and got pain injections before qualiy will do same tomorrow.

Another pole position for Vettel. Yawn. I hope he has a bad start or blows his gearbox in the race. Nothing against him as a driver or a person, but his dominance is sucking the life out these weekends

Wes

venison crêpe
Have to wonder why I`ve centered my saturday around this. Hard to even bother watching the race tomorrow. Hope that he gets some proper competition next year

Unfortunately I have to agree. It's almost completely pedestrian. Credit to him for achieving this success but as a spectacle the sport is just as stale as when Schumacher was in his prime for me.

Leunam

Ib8AtLU.png

DrM said:
On Singapore - starting the autumn leg of the season, night race in Singapore will be different this year, with that dreadful chicane gone. It is RBR hunting ground and without gearbox issues, I predict RBR car on top. We will see about weather, rain would be welcome for entertainment factor.

2012 Race Summary

Hamilton lead lap 1 with Maldonado falling to 4th with Vettel and Button overtaking into P2 and P3 respectively. On lap 23, Hamilton's gearbox failed forcing him to retire allowing Vettel to take P1 which continued until the end of the race. It was noted to be the 2nd mechanical retirement for the Briton.

On lap 30, Karthikeyan crashed at turn 18 causing yellow flags and a safety car to be deployed. Maldonado retired with hydraulic issues before the safety car came in. He had a call 1 lap before he came to the pits and retired. 2 laps later, Schumacher and Vergne collided, with Schumacher failing to brake properly, and consequently crashing into the back of Vergne's Toro Rosso, resulting in their retirement. After the crash, Michael Schumacher climbed out of his car and went over to apologise to Vergne. Paul di Resta managed to keep Mercedes driver Nico Rosberg at bay to claim his career-best finish of P4, gaining him two places in the Driver's Championship to stand 11th.

The race finished two laps early as the two-hour limit was reached, the first time this had happened since the 2008 Monaco Grand Prix.

o4As8jm.png

[Click for Onboard]

Most Wins (Drivers)
Fernando Alonso & Sebastian Vettel (2)​
Most Wins (Constructors)
Red Bull Renault (2)​

Previous Winners & Pole Positions

2012 - Winner: Sebastian Vettel - Red Bull Renault
Pole: Lewis Hamilton - McLaren Mercedes - 1:46.362​
2011 - Winner: Sebastian Vettel - Red Bull Renault
Pole: Sebastian Vettel - Red Bull Renault - 1:44.381​
2010 - Winner: Fernando Alonso - Ferrari
Pole: Fernando Alonso - Ferrari - 1:45.390​
2009 - Winner: Lewis Hamilton - McLaren Mercedes
Pole: Lewis Hamilton - McLaren Mercedes - 1:47.891​
2008 - Winner: Fernando Alonso - Renault
Pole: Felipe Massa - Ferrari - 1:44.801​

Video Highlights

Highlights from the 2008 Singapore Grand Prix

Highlights from the 2012 Singapore Grand Prix

Changes from 2012

-Various small sections of track have been resurfaced.

-The steel kerbs installed for 2012 now have additional rear sections, removing the need to back-fill with asphalt (except the apex of Turn 18).

-The kerb on the exit of Turn Seven has been extended by 10m.

-Turn 10 has been re-aligned with the second and third apexes of the corner removed.

-The TecPro barrier on the exit of Turn 10 has been extended by 24m.

GP Facts

-The Singapore Grand Prix has always ran close to the two-hour maximum race time. The shortest Singapore Grand Prix to date was the 2009 race, won by Lewis Hamilton for McLaren in a time of 1:56:06.337. Fernando Alonso’s victories in 2008 and 2010 were both completed in 1h57m and Sebastian Vettel’s triumph in 2011 pushed that out to 1h59m. The 2012 race was the slowest to date with Vettel’s winning time recorded as 2:00:26.144. Having gone beyond the two-hour cut-off point, the chequered flag was waved after 59 laps on this occasion instead of the scheduled 61. This was the first time since 2008 a grand prix had been completed by duration rather than distance.

- In common with Monaco, Singapore is a maximum downforce circuit (and therefore sits at the opposite end of the scale to Monza). Other notable setup factors are necessitated by the uneven nature of the street surfaces and the need to attack kerbs through the tight right-angle street junctions. To address these issues, teams raise their ride-height and also set up with maximum suspension travel.

-The Formula One race is the second iteration of the Singapore Grand Prix. Its predecessor is a Formula Libre race which, having previously been called the Malaysian Grand Prix, became the Singapore Grand Prix after the city-state gained independence. The original incarnation of the Singapore Grand Prix ran from 1966-1973.

-Over the five-race history of the modern Singapore Grand Prix, Sebastian Vettel, Fernando Alonso and Jenson Button are the only drivers to have completed every lap of every race.

-Despite the ever-present threat of rain in the tropics, and the frequent showers and thunderstorms that have preceded and followed the race, the Singapore Grand Prix has, to date, always been a dry race.

nLiirjJ.png

Drivers Championship Standings

6nO0bQy.png

Constructors Championship Standings

XPkQ0JM.png

Fantasy Championship Standings

KDmqmxL.png

Pimpwerx

Looks like another Seb win tomorrow. I'm no longer mad at NBC for fucking up the tv schedule. This is not a race worth waking up early for. PEACE.

FuturusX

Questions:

Is Vettel that good or is the car just a match made in heaven?
Is webber on holiday until he departs F1?
Anybody feel sorry for Massa?
Alonso and Kimi - the strongest driver pairing next season?

Pimpwerx

Questions:

Mix of both. Seb is really damn good, as shown by how he continues to destroy Webber. The car is also really good, as shown by its impressive pace everywhere. PEACE.

Questions:

Personally, I think Massa is not bad and if he was given the attention he can match Alonso and they can form a very strong pair. But when it comes to reality, Massa is a walkover and allowed Alonso to have it his way.

Ferrari need someone who would perform at his best and with a performance that's not linked to his emotions. That will push Alonso to perform even better and hopefully the intention from Ferrari is to help Kimi with his issues and not wait for him to "ask" for help. If that happens, I think next year's pairing will be extremely hard to beat if they have a decent car

Questions:

Is Vettel that good or is the car just a match made in heaven? Yes and Yes
Is webber on holiday until he departs F1? Yes and No
Anybody feel sorry for Massa? Hasn't been the same since the accident.
Alonso and Kimi - the strongest driver pairing next season? Probably, but they are both getting older.

Webber has never been comfortable banging the car over kerbs. His talent is precision, particularly at high speed. I don't know if it is a function of age and reaction time or just driving style, but his use of kerbs is a main difference in lap speed on the modern tilkedromes to Seb.

I read something a while ago that suggest, against all evidence, that Webber was fantastically fast at the Canadian GP. He was as good if not better than Vettel everywhere apart from the final chicane where he would lose at least 3 tenths every lap as he stayed off the kerbs. Twitchy drivers like Vettel and Hamilton just seem to be able to more out of modern circuits in modern cars.

Shaneus

Webber has never been comfortable banging the car over kerbs. His talent is precision, particularly at high speed. I don't know if it is a function of age and reaction time or just driving style, but his use of kerbs is a main difference in lap speed on the modern tilkedromes to Seb.

I read something a while ago that suggest, against all evidence, that Webber was fantastically fast at the Canadian GP. He was as good if not better than Vettel everywhere apart from the final chicane where he would lose at least 3 tenths every lap as he stayed off the kerbs. Twitchy drivers like Vettel and Hamilton just seem to be able to more out of modern circuits in modern cars.
I like the sound of that theory. It makes sense when you think about it, as I've always attributed Webber as being one of the last of a generation who slogged it through all sorts of motoring disciplines before hitting F1 (as opposed to newer drivers who typically come in via GP2).

Mohonky

Questions:

1: he is very good but he is also in a dominant car. I think this will skew the record books as while Vettel has dominated, I think there are a number of other drivers in his seat would have had just as much if not more success. F1 now has 4 WDC drivers competing yet not 1 can even contest Vettel. He is good but good enough to dominate them had he been in any other seat? Highly unlikely.

2: pretty much. His sole reason to even show up would be to upset Vettel in any way he can at this point. Redbull still have the WCC to compete in but for Webber beating Vettel would be just about his only motivation to get up on a Sunday.

3: yes. Great driver, heavily shaken by his accident a few years ago and has never been the same. Relegated to number 2 driver in all respects driving a car built around Alonso. He is making do with Alonsos scraps. He has shown on occasion he can match Alonso, even better him at times. But he hasnt been as consistent or as hungry as he needs to be. He is by no means a bad driver at all.

4: in terms of experience by far. If Ferrari have a car that is remotely capable Ferrari will be a force in the world constructors championships.

Apparently there are two pubs near me which say they're showing the F1... but I've got a horrible feeling that neither actually will be (at least live).

Will try them first and then likely have to end up watching it on a stream. God I hate Sky race weekends.

dalin80

Banned
Questions:

1, decent driver in the best car on the tyres red bull choose when they vetoed the others.
2, he probably just doesn't give a stuff at the moment.
3, not really
4, may produce fireworks.

I forgot there was even a race this weekend, my F1 apathy has reached legendary status.

Top Bottom