• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Formula 1 2013 Season |OT| End of the Webber Era

"It is a big, big technical challenge next year. Both drivers have to put a lot into that and I don't think Fernando will be too happy if it is all one sided.' -Mark Webber

damn straight, get in the simulator kimi

http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/news/formula-1-webber-says-raikkonen-good-alonso-095100542--f1.html?

Former McLaren and Lotus (old) engineer Steve Hallam was on Peter Windsor's Racer's Edge a little while ago. He spoke mostly about working with Senna ("the best"), but also mentioned Mika and Kimi as standouts as far as dedication and speed. For what it's worth, he worked with Alonso in 2007 although it would be understandable if he wasn't too impressed.

Webber's comments sound more like he's taking a shot at buddy's new enemy, which I find kind of bush league to be honest.

NHale

I'm gonna miss Lotus' twitter feed..

TWITTER-LOTUS-2267123.jpg

Come to think of it.. I won't.. they'll still be around lol

If they replace Kimi with Maldonado, I'm sure that Twitter account will get even better.

Well with all the tabloid nonsense going on with 'baby Alonso vs Iceman' and other bullshit, the main reason why Kimi was hired has been lost.

Ferrari needed another consistant driver, anyone could see that Massa was not doing it for 4 years. Kimi mark 2 was bringing points in nearly every race bar 1 or 2, just like Alonso.

Massa's time was over, another top driver was available. Hulk looks really interesting, flashes of brilliance but there is a question of is it the car or is it him with the up and down form.
Kimi is a known quantity and will be there for 2 years. Binachi could be a shark by then.

'Ferrari only have a clear number one policy' is garbage too. Why did Massa and Kimi coexist in the same team and both have shots at the WDC and were helped by their number 2 in their challenges?
Alonso is number one there because he stamped it with consistency and pace. Massa had no consistency therefore he found himself out of the running very fast.

Lately Ferrari have been under threat in the WCC from Mercedes and it is really only Alonso's results and form that are keeping them up there, something had to change.

So they will start the 2014 rule reset with two very consistent and fast drivers, the perfect line up for a possibly chaotic season of learning and unknowns. They have removed the driver from the possible problems.
They would not have had that with Massa.

The hiring makes perfect sense, and makes Ferrari the strongest driver line up next season.

Hiring Kimi to 'piss off Alonso, remove his power, have a driver who can actually win a WDC' is just tabloid garbage and makes no sense.

Hammer24

Banned
...and thus the war goes on: after RAI, Allison and de Beer go LOT->FER, now Hennel goes FER->LOT
...and thus the tyre war was won: Pirelli has now contracts with all 18 teams and with Bernie each over the next five years, the contract with the FIA is ready as well and to be signed very soon. Only question remaining is for how long. Michelin thus out for sure.

Well with all the tabloid nonsense going on with 'baby Alonso vs Iceman' and other bullshit, the main reason why Kimi was hired has been lost.

Ferrari needed another consistant driver, anyone could see that Massa was not doing it for 4 years. Kimi mark 2 was bringing points in nearly every race bar 1 or 2, just like Alonso.

Massa's time was over, another top driver was available. Hulk looks really interesting, flashes of brilliance but there is a question of is it the car or is it him with the up and down form.
Kimi is a known quantity and will be there for 2 years. Binachi could be a shark by then.

'Ferrari only have a clear number one policy' is garbage too. Why did Massa and Kimi coexist in the same team and both have shots at the WDC and were helped by their number 2 in their challenges?
Alonso is number one there because he stamped it with consistency and pace. Massa had no consistency therefore he found himself out of the running very fast.

Lately Ferrari have been under threat in the WCC from Mercedes and it is really only Alonso's results and form that are keeping them up there, something had to change.

So they will start the 2014 rule reset with two very consistent and fast drivers, the perfect line up for a possibly chaotic season of learning and unknowns. They have removed the driver from the possible problems.
They would not have had that with Massa.

The hiring makes perfect sense, and makes Ferrari the strongest driver line up next season.

Hiring Kimi to 'piss off Alonso, remove his power, have a driver who can actually win a WDC' is just tabloid garbage and makes no sense.

Although I agree with most of what you said. It's can also be arguable, as Ferrari have done it before (hiring a driver to diminish the other). Schumi decided to leave instead of facing the wave. Alonso is still young and has so much ambitions and unfinished business yet and pribably got caught off-guard by the hiring that he didn't have enough time to get a better or an equivalent seat .. If things go his way he'll stay, if not, I very much expect Alonso to be in a different team in 2015

DD

Massa elects Alonso as his strongest teammate ever.

"I've always had very strong team-mates. I always learnt that you need to be perfect because if you're not perfect they will be in front of you.

"For sure I've had some tough times as well with strong team-mates. The one was suffering more [against] was Alonso. I think maybe he's more complete.

"Schumacher was very, very good. He was amazing and a very complete driver as well. But I think maybe Alonso is even more perfect."

http://www1.skysports.com/formula-1...-says-fernando-alonso-most-complete-team-mate

NHale

Massa elects Alonso as his strongest teammate ever.

"I've always had very strong team-mates. I always learnt that you need to be perfect because if you're not perfect they will be in front of you.

"For sure I've had some tough times as well with strong team-mates. The one was suffering more [against] was Alonso. I think maybe he's more complete.

"Schumacher was very, very good. He was amazing and a very complete driver as well. But I think maybe Alonso is even more perfect."

http://www1.skysports.com/formula-1...-says-fernando-alonso-most-complete-team-mate

Or maybe Massa is not as stronger as he was in the past. And this is the way he has to justify what happened in the last couple of years.

Quite frankly he doesn't have anything to be ashamed. He was a couple of inches away from being killed because of an unbelievable incident. Panis, Wendlinger were never the same after their accidents too.

Is that the extent of their historic mode? A bunch of cars from different eras evened out in performance and racing against each other. Full grids from specific years with different handling characteristics would have been much more interesting.

The licensing for that would be nightmarish. They almost certainly would have trouble getting around the tobacco branding on the older McLarens (as well as the cost ... McLaren is not cheap), and licensing the Senna name is probably going to cost them a pretty penny, too. I don't think it's reasonable to see that unless this turns into something on the level of Madden or Forza/Gran Turismo, and it's still really a niche product.

Or maybe Massa is not as stronger as he was in the past. And this is the way he has to justify what happened in the last couple of years.

Quite frankly he doesn't have anything to be ashamed. He was a couple of inches away from being killed because of an unbelievable incident. Panis, Wendlinger were never the same after their accidents too.

I agree, that can only be the most reasonable reason for his statement... NOT

Massa was able to string a few good races together, was this when he was suffering from light brain damage and not the full damage he had on most weekends?

I don't think it really comes down to brain damage, but fear. So many racers have had problems after a brush with their mortality over the years (not just after crashes on track, but in helicopters, planes etc).

It only takes a sketchy moment to put it right back in your head and suddenly you're operating at 95% instead of 100%.

Road

Saw Rush today.

I liked it a lot. It's not perfect, obviously, but I think it's my favorite movie of the year so far. (that might be a little biased...).

Is there a thread for it? I couldn't find one.

I don't know, I think we're going to see a few good races. I imagine if you're only interested in the championship rather than the racing then there's a good chance the rest of the season will be a washout for you.

I concur, there will be entertaining races to come, but for 2nd and 3rd. Vettel will disappear into the distance and we wont see much of him.

I am at Suzuka this year and it BETTER be a wildcard race.... even if the track suits the RBR perfectly :(

Just take a look at the old layout of the Red Bull ring, lots of medium to fast speed corners on a tight track.

It didnt make for too many exciting races, mostly its remembered for the clashes between drivers who tangled while passing, JPM Schmacher etc...
first corner was like a demolition derby.

LeBoef

I wish F1 tracks could be like this...

Forgive my DS3 driving but this is honestly the best course maker track ever created in GT5.

http://youtu.be/CgJBDigws-Y

wow... thats just boring. maybe it ll be fun to watch a nascar race on such a track.
one of the amazing things of F1, at least for me, is how they re able to take tight turns or how they perform on tracks like suzuka.

a comparable real life track is monza. if it wasnt for the history, i think mostpeople would not appreciate the track.

/edit
i still dont know what "radio pitlane" is. google isnt really a help.

paskowitz

Well it is definitely more fun to drive than to watch. With other cars on track it becomes very technical. There are at least 3-4 overtaking corners which is more than can be said for many current F1 circuits.

Mastah

Panis was exactly the same driver as before. In 2001 and 2002 driving for BAR Villeneuve and Panis were pretty evenly matched in qualifying. Same goes for 1998 and 1999 with Trulli in Prost. The only thing that changed between 1997 and following seasons was quality of the cars driven by Panis. Same thing applies to Massa.

The myth about Panis was created when he had awful teammate and car equipped with superior tyres to top teams. It's not a coincidence that in France, when Trulli debuted in Prost replacing injured Panis, he qualified in 6th place. This car on Bridgestone tyres was just incredibly quick.

1997 was really crazy season, very similar to 2012, with 15 (!) different drivers standing on the podium. I'm absolutely sure if Schumacher was driving for Jordan, Prost or Benetton, he would be fighting for title. It's the same feeling I have about 2012, when Alonso and Hamilton, only basing on their driving last year, would be fighting for title and wins in Williams, Sauber or Lotus.

Oh Massa:

Luca di Montezemolo rebuffed the claim in an interview for La Gazzetta dello Sport: “They say he won’t help Fernando? Please!”
“He will definitely do so, giving us a hand for the constructors’ and Alonso for the drivers’”

Massa: “I will not race for Alonso from now on, right from Friday at Singapore I’ll be working for myself.
“I will attack all the time, every lap. It’s come the time to look after myself,”

http://www.f1fanatic.co.uk/2013/09/17/massa-will-definitely-help-alonso-in-the-championship/

Oh Massa:

Luca di Montezemolo rebuffed the claim in an interview for La Gazzetta dello Sport: “They say he won’t help Fernando? Please!”
“He will definitely do so, giving us a hand for the constructors’ and Alonso for the drivers’”

Massa: “I will not race for Alonso from now on, right from Friday at Singapore I’ll be working for myself.
“I will attack all the time, every lap. It’s come the time to look after myself,”

http://www.f1fanatic.co.uk/2013/09/17/massa-will-definitely-help-alonso-in-the-championship/

Stupid Massa. You don't say that publicly!! Now if he doesn't get very close or beat Alonso there won't be this tiny doubt there that "Ferrari is not allowing him to"

Well, if Massa get blasted in the ass by Alonso over the remaining races he will look even more like a 2nd rate pilot.
The misconception now is that 'Santander is holding him back', he wont be able to hide now.

Anytime Massa overdrives the car it turns into a ballet... for him... spinning out.

Massa

Can you tell us more please? :)

It wasn't a serious "interview" at all. It was just the biggest clown from Globo's TV network blowing smoke up Massa's ass for 10 minutes (at Massa's home, next to his wife and kid). It was basically them trying to make him look good so people don't stop watching F1 next year. The way the international press is reporting it makes it look like a serious statement, it was closer to banter and it will amount to nothing in the actual races.

Well, if Massa get blasted in the ass by Alonso over the remaining races he will look even more like a 2nd rate pilot.
The misconception now is that 'Santander is holding him back', he wont be able to hide now.

I don't think Massa ever claimed to be hold back by Ferrari or Alonso.

Pimpwerx

Oh Massa:

This would mean something if he was actually good and could actually take the attack to Fonso. As it stands...empty rhetoric.

image.php

"Felipe, your arms are too short to box with god." PEACE.

Massa

This would mean something if he was actually good and could actually take the attack to Fonso. As it stands...empty rhetoric.

image.php

"Felipe, your arms are too short to box with god." PEACE.

When you drive for Ferrari you never know whose help you're gonna need. Even a Petrov might stand in your way, for instance.

Drivers conference will be funny today, Kimi is in it, I wonder if he is sick.

Thursday, September 19, 1800 hours local time (1000 GMT)
Valtteri Bottas (Williams), Nico Hulkenberg (Sauber), Sergio Perez (McLaren), Kimi Raikkonen (Lotus), Nico Rosberg (Mercedes), Adrian Sutil (Force India).

Wrong choices for drivers.

They should add Massa and Alonso instead of Bottas and Sergio S. Perez (S for Shit)

pappe

Caption this

16343786.JPG

Massa is thinking Thank God! I am leaving. Who knows what they will make me do next

The guy on the left end and right end are thinking , " We asked for Alonso... Why did they send the mechanic?"

The guy in the center is thinking, "I cant believe these morons fell for that 1"

Straight to the point about why he left, wasn't getting paid.

For the people who couldn't watch it.

Kimi Räikkönen says the reasons behind his impending Lotus departure are purely financial, revealing that he has not received his salary from the outfit.

Following weeks of relentless speculation, it was confirmed last Wednesday that Räikkönen is to make a return to former employers Ferrari next season, teaming up with fellow World Champion Fernando Alonso on an initial two-year agreement.

And with the Finn previously outlining certain assurances if he was to remain with Lotus in 2014, he has now made clear that monetary obligations have not been met.

"I like to race, that's the only reason I'm here," Räikkönen explained during Thursday evening's press conference ahead of the Singapore Grand Prix. "The reasons I left the team are purely on the money side. I haven't had my salary – it's unfortunate."

Moving on to discuss his return to Ferrari, with whom he raced from 2007-2009, Räikkönen stated that he does not foresee any tension with new team-mate Alonso.

"I don't see why it wouldn't work," the 33-year-old commented. "We are old enough to know what we are doing. If there is something I'm sure we can talk it through. It's not like we're 20 years old or so. I might be wrong, but I'm pretty sure it will be fine."

http://www.gpupdate.net/en/f1-news/300464/raikkonen-lotus-exit-due-to-money/

Staab

Hmmm, thought Lotus put the rumors to rest when they said they had no financial problems but if their main driver hasn't even been paid... yeah.. sucks for them :/

Top Bottom