• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Formula 1 2013 Season |OT| End of the Webber Era

Leunam

Put him in the Safety Car, if it came out he would lead every lap! Doesn't get more competitive than that.

But then the whole field passes him by in just one corner. :(

Kovalainen revisited.

Perez is a mediocre driver who should be nowhere near a McLaren racing car. Whitmarsh out!!!

I disagree.

It's not a good year for either driver with such a shit car. You could probably look at Button as well and say he's also Kovalainen revisited if this was his first year at McLaren (had he never won in 2009).

I can't tell if you're joking or not.

He very nearly won two races in a Sauber, if McLaren gave him a competitive car I think he'd be very competitive.

I'm not joking, he's garbage. He only nearly won in a Sauber because he lucked out with Pirelli's cheese tyres, like Maldonado did at Barcelona, when he didn't win the tyre lottery he was at the back crashing.

The Hulk has a worse car and has done a much better job this season is more deserving of that McLaren seat. Whitmarsh out!!!

dubc35

I'm not a huge PER fan. I thought the signing was a bad move. I also wish they would have signed HUL. That said, the team has a shit car this year. They also started 2011 & 2012 behind the pack and had to catch up (maybe years prior to that too, didn't follow F1 much until '11). That falls on Whitmarsh IMO. If they're shit next year it's time for Whitmarsh to go. I have nothing personal against him but if you're not performing, it's time to go.

If they're shit next year it's time for Whitmarsh to go. I have nothing personal against him but if you're not performing, it's time to go.

I don't really agree with that at all, if all you're taking into account is a team's performance on the track. That's part of football's problem, and makes a total joke of the roll (although the jobs aren't directly comparable).

By that metric, you'd have to say that Christian Horner is the best team principle in the sport, but is he? What would happen if you dropped him into Williams and gave him four years, how could he turn the team around? Considering he wouldn't suddenly have Red Bull's mountains of cash and might not be able to coax over Adrian Newey and other key personnel, what could he really do?

F1 is so complex that it's only really a bizarre perfect storm of talent and money that can grant you true success (lolz, Toyota). To pin all that on the shoulders of one person is rather short-sighted I feel.

Of course, that's not to say that you can't have a shit team principle that can make decisions that can completely fuck up a team, I just don't think that Whitmarsh is one of those.

I think Perez deserves a chance in a competitive car. If McLaren have one next year and he still doesn't deliver then he should go. If Eddie Jordan is right then it would be Alonso replacing him, though I'm not so sure he would go back to McLaren.

dubc35

D'oh! My mistake.

I don't really agree with that at all, if all you're taking into account is a team's performance on the track. That's part of football's problem, and makes a total joke of the roll (although the jobs aren't directly comparable).

By that metric, you'd have to say that Christian Horner is the best team principle in the sport, but is he? What would happen if you dropped him into Williams and gave him four years, how could he turn the team around? Considering he wouldn't suddenly have Red Bull's mountains of cash and might not be able to coax over Adrian Newey and other key personnel, what could he really do?

F1 is so complex that it's only really a bizarre perfect storm of talent and money that can grant you true success (lolz, Toyota). To pin all that on the shoulders of one person is rather short-sighted I feel.

Of course, that's not to say that you can't have a shit team principle that can make decisions that can completely fuck up a team, I just don't think that Whitmarsh is one of those.

I definitely agree it takes more than one person. It's a team sport more than most think. That said, if the team, football club, business, etc isn't making it up to their standards the highest person will take the heat.

e*
New turn 10 @ Singapore - https://twitter.com/jwrracing/status/380255599771910144/photo/1
mkE6N7P.jpg

Addnan

Weather shows wet weekend, but after the last 2 races not getting any hopes up.

Kimi on BBC 5Live, wow he is talking a lot. Madness.

McLaren have just been under performing the last few years. Button has been consistently on the lower end of the midfield.

Compare that to Mercedes, who has progressed some.

dubc35

Yeah, next year should be really interesting with a kind of reset of the rules, how teams come out and who is able to react and develop. It's kind of sad I'm looking forward to next year already. Some great GP's left this year though, hopefully some good battles....behind vettel lol.

Bloody hell, should never post on my phone again. So many edits lol

Hammer24

Banned
- rule proposal to the FIA World Council: make FP1 half an hour longer for young drivers
- WEB admits problems to motivate himself for the rest of the season, can´t wait for it to be over
- HUL talking about his time in F3 as teammate of GRO
- ALO saying he´s got no problem with RAI, that´d be only other teams stirring up shit

Addnan

Whitmarsh would take Alonso back.

McLaren want Fernando Alonso to rejoin them next season and have made the Ferrari driver their prime target.

The Spaniard is unsettled at Ferrari and McLaren hope to persuade him to return to a team he drove for in 2007.

Asked if he wanted the double world champion, McLaren team principal Martin Whitmarsh said: "Yes - any team would. He's the best driver.

"I don't know his contractual situation. I assume he's under contract," he told BBC Sport.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula-one/24171278

The quote doesn't really say what the headline of the article says though.

Hammer24

Banned
Wow didn't know that, apparently they also were teammate with Kobayashi the same year.

Was a very interesting pairing. HUL came from A1 series and had serious problems getting used to the F3 cars. But in the second half of the season he gave GRO a real hard fight and beat him several times. They know each other well, and seem to respect each other.

BTW, Merc using the same setup and car as in Hungary.

cmr-94

Anyone watching? webber looks on it so far. nice change to see him actually give vettel a good challenge in terms of raw pace.

As usual, singapore looking great

Is it true Whitmarsh confirmed Button for next year and not Perez on Sky?

Honda please!

Shitty Perez tried to take Alonso out in the pitlane, has he had some bad news?

Perez said ahead of the Singapore Grand Prix that his deal was done for next season, barring a few final details.

However, McLaren says that matters are not quite as close as that - and Whitmarsh has made it clear that he still wants to see better form from the Mexican.

"Sergio has a tremendous benchmark in Jenson, who is consistent, a great quality driver, a great team player and who brings a tremendous amount of benefits to our team," said Whitmarsh.

The other possibility is for McLaren to take a gamble and promote one of its young drivers – Kevin Magnussen or Stoffel Vandoorne – to race alongside Button.

The return of in-season testing means taking a rookie for 2014 is not as difficult as it has been in recent years.

"They are in the frame," admitted Whitmarsh. "We are very fortunate at the moment that we have some fantastic young talent coming through and they deserve to be in F1.

"We have in Kevin and Stoffel two of the hottest talents not in F1, and certainly it is our ambition to get them into F1."

The perfect time to right his wrong. Perez out, Magnussen in.

Jenson+Button+Kevin+Magnussen+F1+Grand+Prix+GaCtZPtMy74x.jpg

Motorsport Total report that Lotus engineers are looking to abandon the sinking ship, at least 20 have put their CVs about.

Jarrod Murphy (CFD chief) has already gone and will join Mercedes.

Lopez in desperate need of money, will offer investors 75% of shares in team, trying to get Maldonado and PDVSA money.

Rumours that Renault/Nissan will take over.

R.I.P - The Demon Headmaster will soon get his 10 team championship wish granted.

DrM

Redmond's Baby
Other teams must be happy, a lot of skilled engineers will be available.

Lotus is looking like Titanic right now.

NHale

Motorsport Total report that Lotus engineers are looking to abandon the sinking ship, at least 20 have put their CVs about.

Jarrod Murphy (CFD chief) has already gone and will join Mercedes.

Lopez in desperate need of money, will offer investors 75% of shares in team, trying to get Maldonado and PDVSA money.

Rumours that Renault/Nissan will take over.

R.I.P - The Demon Headmaster will soon get his 10 team championship wish granted.

PDVSA deal with Williams is still valid for next year, so unless they spend to put Maldonado in another place while still paying that absurd amount to Williams for absolutely nothing in return, it's not going to happen especially considering the political scene on Venezuela is a little different than a couple of years ago.

Pimpwerx

Hey guys. No comments on the thorough domination by RBR today? I only watched the first half of FP2, but that car looks quick. How the hell is Vettel a full second clear of the nearest competitor? If that's the kind of weekend it's gonna be, I'm not going to complain about NBC completely fucking up the weekend schedule. Qualies won't be shown until Sunday morning. Fucking criminal. I don't think SPEED ever did that to us. PEACE.

Pimpwerx

McLaren have just been under performing the last few years. Button has been consistently on the lower end of the midfield.

Compare that to Mercedes, who has progressed some.

Mac always improved over the course of the season. They haven't this season. Merc always faded over the course of a season. This year they're improving. The one constant in this equation is Lewis Hamilton. My boy brings the winning with him. :D PEACE.

Mohonky

Hey guys. No comments on the thorough domination by RBR today? I only watched the first half of FP2, but that car looks quick. How the hell is Vettel a full second clear of the nearest competitor? If that's the kind of weekend it's gonna be, I'm not going to complain about NBC completely fucking up the weekend schedule. Qualies won't be shown until Sunday morning. Fucking criminal. I don't think SPEED ever did that to us. PEACE.

Eh, another week the Newey / Vettel show rolls on. Not even worth discussing anymore.

The action is happening for the minor places.

Top Bottom