• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Formula 1 2013 Season |OT| End of the Webber Era

moojito

According to f1.com we can expect the usual spot of damp in Malaysia.

raininsideways.png

I saw lots of them today. I don't think they were officially sanctioned ones ;)

Newey and Webber then ;)

I think it was more hoping that they could've cut it closer. But expecting 12 or so laps (or whatever it was) wasn't unrealistic. They just dropped off FAR earlier than expected. But I'm pretty sure the team noted just how well he performed vs. Di Resta.

According to f1.com we can expect the usual spot of damp in Malaysia.

raininsideways.png

Malaysian weather forecast is always rain. It almost rains on a daily basis there but when the sun is setting and the weather gets colder.

I hope it doesn't rain during F1 sessions this weekend

Shaneus

Awww, come on, he never looked too god in his home race. But:
- telemetry went bonkers. Same problems they had in winter testing. Could happen again (as they still haven´t found the problem), and could hit VET too.
- the car fell from the front carjack, thus costing them 2.65sec more on the first pit stop. This fall damaged the KERS.
- then he was behind BUT, couldn´t overtake him, ruined his tyres in trying, and came to the pits a 2nd time.
--> after this second pitstop he has been constantly quicker than VET on average, probably because his tyres held up much better the rest of the race
So the KERS was damaged during that pit stop and he actually had it at the start of the race?

I don't recall the word "telemetry" ever being used (at least, not that I can remember) as a reason to cause a bad start, so I'd like to know if it's happened before... and how it does affect it in the first place.

He's just has the debugging unit.
:(

Schumi is a great fitness role model. The health of these drivers sure has motivated me to hit the gym more often.
I have a feeling Webber is *super* fit as well (even compared to the other drivers). I saw him get out of the Infiniti demo area thing (they had two cars on dynos simulating a drag race, Mark did one against the head of Infiniti) and the guy is like a fucking rake. The size of his race suit compared to his actual body cannot be much unlike that of J. Villeneuve's:
BKY5jjy.jpg

Takes a special kind of guy to be 6'3" or whatever and weigh only 74kgs (though having said that, at my lightest a few years ago I was around the same).

Hammer24

Banned
So the KERS was damaged during that pit stop and he actually had it at the start of the race?

Thats what I heard.

I don't recall the word "telemetry" ever being used (at least, not that I can remember) as a reason to cause a bad start, so I'd like to know if it's happened before... and how it does affect it in the first place.

It didn´t cause the bad start, it just made it harder for the team to find out whats going on in the car. Let me put it that way... WEB is not especially famous for giving the greatest feedback on car behavior. ;)

Hammer24

Banned
Some statistical tidbits:
- SUT can get the record for longest wait for first podium, if he´d get one this year. He has now 91 races, thats how long it took Martin Brundle to get his first podium. Only four drivers (none of them active) have more races without a podium.
- SUT egalized Heidfelds record on the longest wait for first race lead, it took both 91 races. This means FI has now had race leads in consecutive races.
- SUT now 7th German with more than 100 points (101)
- BUT now the 4th pilot to get into 4 digits: his 1001 GP points is behind MSC 1566, ALO 1382 and VET 1069
- MCL now 59th consecutive race with GP points
- its the 2nd time VET got a pole on a Sunday. Last time was Suzuka 2010 - with the exact same top 3.
- we had 7 pilots with a race lead in Melbourne, just shy of a 42 year old record (8 in Italy 1972)
- the first 14 laps had 6 different race leaders - none of them won in the end
- 7 pilots qualified on the place of their car #
- RAI beating all odds:
--- now as many (20) race wins as Hakkinen
--- 70th podium, only ALO has more from the active drivers
--- first win for a car with #7 since Trulli in Monaco 2004
--- last time he led the WDC was may 2008 after finishing 3rd in the Turkey GP
--- 18th consecutive race with points, the 4th longest series ever (best MSC 24)
--- 38th fastest race lap, thats 3rd best alltime (Prost 41, MSC 77)
--- he won from grid #7, its just the 21st time this happened in 879 GP´s. BTW, his first win (Malaysia 2003) was also from #7.
--- the last pilot to win from #7 without the help of the safety car was MSC in USA 2003
- number of WDC titles was as the drivers finished: RAI 1, ALO 2, VET 3
- HUL 3rd race in Melbourne. He has zero race laps. (Twice kicked out at start, now DNS) This also means its the 4th consecutive year without all cars starting the season premiere (2010 Trulli, 2011+2012 the HRT´s)
- MAL hasn´t finished a Australia GP either, also in his 3rd try
- its now the fith consecutive year that different teams won the season premiere (Brawn, FER, RB, MCL, LOT)
- ALO statistical favorites: starting from #5 (25 times), and finishing 2nd (32 times). Also VET, WEB and MAS started were they do most often.
- PER had his 9th finish on P11. In 38 races.
- PER and ROS are now 7 consecutive races without points
- new F1 record for FER: MAS has now 68 consecutive races without a FER win. Alesi had 67.
- one more FER: its the 3rd consecutive quali ALO got beat by MAS

- SUT can get the record for longest wait for first podium, if he´d get one this year. He has now 91 races, thats how long it took Martin Brundle to get his first podium. Only four drivers (none of them active) have more races without a podium.
- SUT egalized Heidfelds record on the longest wait for first race lead, it took both 91 races. This means FI has now had race leads in consecutive races.
- BUT now the 4th pilot to get into 4 digits: his 1001 GP points is behind MSC 1566, ALO 1382 and VET 1069
- its the 2nd time VET got a pole on a Sunday. Last time was Suzuka 2010 - with the exact same top 3.
- we had 7 pilots with a race lead in Melbourne, just shy of a 42 year old record (8 in Italy 1972)
- RAI beating all odds:
--- 18th consecutive race with points, the 4th longest series ever (best MSC 24)
--- he won from grid #7, its just the 21st time this happened in 879 GP´s. BTW, his first win (Malaysia 2003) was also from #7.
--- the last pilot to win from #7 without the help of the safety car was MSC in USA 2003
- HUL 3rd race in Melbourne. He has zero race laps. (Twice kicked out at start, now DNS) This also means its the 4th consecutive year without all cars starting the season premiere (2010 Trulli, 2011+2012 the HRT´s)
- its now the fith consecutive year that different teams won the season premiere (Brawn, FER, RB, MCL, LOT)
- ALO statistical favorites: starting from #5 (25 times), and finishing 2nd (32 times). Also VET, WEB and MAS started were they do most often.
- new F1 record for FER: MAS has now 68 consecutive races without a FER win. Alesi had 67.

I love your posts.

Jezbollah

Morning all. Subbed to this thread. Loooove F1 (but for some bizarre reason hadnt jumped on F1-Gaf until now).

Enjoyed Australia, delighted for Kimi, but am concerned for McLaren. Very lethargic debut for Perez in the car - was expecting a little bit of magic but that never came. Happy that Ferrari have a better car this year - and hope Mercedes complete that step up (but wish for the love of god Nico or Lewis would change their helmet colours just a tiny bit to allow us to better tell the difference between them).

Cant wait for Malaysia. Should be fun in the wet (been there before, and boy does it rain down at 4pm in the afternoon)...

Joni

Because mandatory pit stops are close to the pinnacle of stupid rules.

Indeed, they should get rid of the mandatory tire switch too. You have this amount of tires for the weekend. How you get to the end of the race with them, is your choice.

- RAI beating all odds:

You checked this all yourself of found a website where they list this stuff?

Really cool either way.

McNum

Sprinklers? Um... as in make the tack wet on purpose? Am I understanding that right?

I mean, a good wet race is awesome, but there's something fundamentally broken if you need to resort to spraying the track with water to make a race interesting.

Sprinklers? Um... as in make the tack wet on purpose? Am I understanding that right?

I mean, a good wet race is awesome, but there's something fundamentally broken if you need to resort to spraying the track with water to make a race interesting.

It was Ecclestone's idea, not mine.

Bernie Ecclestone would like to see trackside sprinklers at Formula One circuits to artificially create the excitement of a wet circuit midway through grands prix.

The F1 CEO, who also sticks by his medal proposal, said it would be a sure-fire way to increase overtaking.

"Look at the races we have now," Ecclestone told Formula1.com. "Overtaking is almost impossible because in the dry there is only one line good for maximum speed because of the rubber on the track. You have a completely different picture when it is wet. We always had the most exciting races in the wet so let's think of making rain…

"There are race tracks that you can make artificially wet and it would be easy to have such systems at a number of tracks. Why not let it 'rain' in the middle of a race? For 20 minutes or the last ten laps? Maybe with a two-minute warning ahead of it. Suspense would be guaranteed and it would be the same for all."
http://en.espnf1.com/f1/motorsport/story/42110.html

Still better than shit tires.

Not only that, it is basically a mandatory pit stop rule.

McNum

Huh. That's weird. I mean, I like it when the races are close and all, but having sprinklers on track just seems to artificial. I want races to be close because the race IS close, not because someone turned on the sprinklers to add a hazard on the final ten laps. This isn't Mario Kart, it's Fomula One. Not that Mario Kart is bad, and yes, I know of F1 Race Stars...

RayStorm

Still better than shit tires.

Disagree. While ideally tires would degrade quickly due to several tire manufacturers competing for an extremely fast tire, I don't see quick and/or slightly arcane degradation as a troubling issue.

But I'm also someone who rues the current days reliability of the cars/engines in comparison to earlier years.

RayStorm

I contend that random wet tracks by artificial means is not that much different or even worse than DRS.

Quite contrary actually. You have to stop or risk losing time/retiring from the race, that's basically what a pit stop should be. A stop shouldn't be there just for the sake of it.

Juicy Bob

Indeed, they should get rid of the mandatory tire switch too. You have this amount of tires for the weekend. How you get to the end of the race with them, is your choice.
I support this idea.

I think the strategy and the mixed up racing we get from Pirelli tyres is superb. It's all the same for everyone and it's creating headaches for drivers and teams. Formula 1 should be challenging. Pirelli tyres, limited engines, zero in-season testing, no t-cars and all the other restrictions have made F1 more difficult than ever - and that's a good thing.

McNum

I'm not sure. The fun of F1 for me is the fusion of awesome engineering and awesome drivers. You need both, and a dash of luck, to win. The DRS is an engineering solution to a problem caused by engineering. That is the cars are so dependent of their aerodynamics that driving close to another car becomes a problem. Which means we get less wheel-to-wheel racing and fewer overtakes.

DRS doesn't help much with the racing, but it does help with overtaking. It's not an elegant solution, but with regulations that are piles upon piles of changes, you end up with some weird, but technically legal, solutions. DRS, KERS, blown diffusers, and so on. The Formula One rules have painted themselves further and further into a corner as is.

Which is why I'm a little hopeful for the 2014 season. While it's not a completely clean slate, the V6 and turbochargers will definitely change things up. Ideally, I'd like to se the cars get less dependent on aerodynamics so they can driver closer together, and by all means, keep KERS, it's like a videogame boost button, only for real racing without being a silly advantage.

RayStorm

I'm not sure. The fun of F1 for me is the fusion of awesome engineering and awesome drivers. You need both, and a dash of luck, to win.

The Formula One rules have painted themselves further and further into a corner as is.

The problem for me is that due to the strict rules innovation is blocked out in large parts. Sure, you get clever and even innovative solutions to circumvent certain rules before they get banned faster than you can say "FIA", but on a grander scheme F1 to me sometimes feels like a spec car series due to the rigid rules on how you may develop your cars.

As such I welcome things that still push the limits in a way I can easily understand and see when watching.

Bernie Ecclestone would like to see trackside sprinklers at Formula One circuits to artificially create the excitement of a wet circuit midway through grands prix.

The F1 CEO, who also sticks by his medal proposal, said it would be a sure-fire way to increase overtaking.

"Look at the races we have now," Ecclestone told Formula1.com. "Overtaking is almost impossible because in the dry there is only one line good for maximum speed because of the rubber on the track. You have a completely different picture when it is wet. We always had the most exciting races in the wet so let's think of making rain…

"There are race tracks that you can make artificially wet and it would be easy to have such systems at a number of tracks. Why not let it 'rain' in the middle of a race? For 20 minutes or the last ten laps? Maybe with a two-minute warning ahead of it. Suspense would be guaranteed and it would be the same for all."

umm.....what??
dean-what-gif.gif

Chris R

Make the tires better and bring back refueling. Tada, races with similar number of stops, but for real reasons instead of terrible tires.

acm2000

so mclaren went from outright denial that it was their fault, to blaming red bulls garage for the error, to accepting it was their fault and apologising

great work

Shaneus

McLaren apologises to Webber for ECU issue... FUCKERS!! %$#@%$#%

http://www.gpupdate.net/en/f1-news/291966/mclaren-apologises-to-webber-for-ecu-issue/

sorry if already posted
A coworker said that this morning. If everyone is using the same system, how come no-one else had the same fault?

Fucking hell, he could well have been on track for a podium finish if it wasn't for that fucking fault. God fucking damnit, that pisses me off.

I'm assuming there's no ramifications for McLaren or any consolation given to RBR for the problem if it was caused by another team? I'm not sure how any of this would work at all (or if there's any precedence for it).

Mark must be fucking fuming by now, especially after they tried to deny responsibility. Hell, I'm fucking pissed that it happened... could've been his first (and potentially only) home podium :/

"That disrupted his preparations for the start of the race, for which Mark and the team has our apology. We are working together with them to prevent any recurrence." Sounds just like any apology for anything that goes wrong without accepting responsibility, just like when my trains run late. "V/Line apologises for this delay (but you know damn well that this problem could happen again and there's nothing you can do about it)".

FUCKING CUNTS.

A coworker said that this morning. If everyone is using the same system, how come no-one else had the same fault?

Fucking hell, he could well have been on track for a podium finish if it wasn't for that fucking fault. God fucking damnit, that pisses me off.

I'm assuming there's no ramifications for McLaren or any consolation given to RBR for the problem if it was caused by another team? I'm not sure how any of this would work at all (or if there's any precedence for it).

Mark must be fucking fuming by now, especially after they tried to deny responsibility. Hell, I'm fucking pissed that it happened... could've been his first (and potentially only) home podium :/

Technical faults are technical faults. You never saw teams compensated when their fuel rigs (all supplied by the same company) failed for the umpteenth time.

Ark

For the same reason that you and I could both buy exactly the same model phone, from exactly the same batch of production, from exactly the same retailer, only to have one of them break and the other not.

That's just how engineering/production/life works.

Obviously not. The ECU is supplied by McLaren Electronics, not the racing squad. They've supplied ECU's to the grid for quite some time now, and as of last year (or 2011) they've been supplying a bunch of stuff for NASCAR too.

All the teams would have signed a 'if it breaks, we can't sue you' agreement anyway.

If suppliers were liable for faults with the end product (within reason), then we wouldn't have any suppliers.

Shaneus

Yeah, I just wasn't sure on the specifics. Obviously I'm a little over-emotional about the whole thing :(

I figured that McLaren Electronic Systems was basically a separate entity to McLaren themselves anyway, but wasn't 100% sure.

Edit: The KERS problem was a direct result of that as well, not of the +2s stop and the jack being dropped (or whatever):
Team Principal Horner pointed the finger squarely at the Vodafone-backed squad, whose sister company McLaren Electronic Systems supply a standard Electronic Control Unit (ECU) to the entire Formula 1 field.

"Today had nothing to do with Mark," Horner told Sky Sports. "You need to go and ask McLaren why the ECU didn't work. That totally messed up his preparation.

"Mark's problems were hugely frustrating because it was an ECU issue that's obviously supplied by a third party. We lost all telemetry on the formation lap, so you can't do the preparation you need to for the start.

"That ECU issue shut the KERS down as well. So by the time we'd reset the system, he'd lost the start and lost early ground.

"It's something they need to get on top of because there's been a lot of issues in early-season testing."
Still don't know how he has all the fucking luck :/

Top Bottom