• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Formula 1 2013 Season |OT| End of the Webber Era

Shaneus

Ahaha, you wouldn't have been far off! I'm n ot sure when that walk is though... I guess that was the Sunday one? I wasn't up there that early :/

Only got 18 on that GPPredictor thing... 2 points a pop for guessing Raikkonen, Hamilton, Grosjean and Massa in the top 10, Vettel 5 points for tipping him fourth and 5 points for Kimi fastest lap.

At least I know how the scoring works, but of course it's all guesswork. I wish they gave more points so you could have more accurate scoring (as in, rather than just having 2 points for tipping someone but not having their correct position, give points based on how far off you were).

Chris R

Ahaha, you wouldn't have been far off! I'm n ot sure when that walk is though... I guess that was the Sunday one? I wasn't up there that early :/

Only got 18 on that GPPredictor thing... 2 points a pop for guessing Raikkonen, Hamilton, Grosjean and Massa in the top 10, Vettel 5 points for tipping him fourth and 5 points for Kimi fastest lap.

At least I know how the scoring works, but of course it's all guesswork. I wish they gave more points so you could have more accurate scoring (as in, rather than just having 2 points for tipping someone but not having their correct position, give points based on how far off you were).

The points are more for getting close/exact. I got 10 points for placing Fernando second, 2 for placing Vettel first, but zero points for saying Webber would be 3rd.

So I think it is 10 for exact/5 1 position off/2 2 positions off.

dubc35

It was post race on Sunday.

pants

GOTTA GO PANTS

jhFsr2D.png

Lach

Oh god....

19 points - 17% prediction accuracy - Rank 76 / 89

I suck at this! At least you get points if you've closely mispredicted (one or two positions of)

I've not checked the site yet, but according to that screen grab, I'm not even in the top 20 (I was usually top 5-10 on F1M). This is going to be fun.

edit: #33, nowhere near as bad as I expected

Hammer24

Banned
Amazing drive by Kimi. Always had reserves to control every facet of the race.
Amazing drive by Sutil. To think just three months ago all he drove was a bobby car.

Shame on Merc that their rain setup gamble didn´t work out (see highspeed ranking).
Shame on Merc for the slipped cable on Rosbergs car. Something that just simply can´t happen.

RBR and FER look to have some good cars, but I guess we´ll know more after next weekend.

Fuzz Rez

Banned
Amazing drive by Kimi. Always had reserves to control every facet of the race.
Amazing drive by Sutil. To think just three months ago all he drove was a bobby car.

Shame on Merc that their rain setup gamble didn´t work out (see highspeed ranking).
Shame on Merc for the slipped cable on Rosbergs car. Something that just simply can´t happen.

RBR and FER look to have some good cars, but I guess we´ll know more after next weekend.

Next week might be another win for Lotus. Seems like they again have amazing tyre management and hot climate seems to suite them and their tires even more. There is also a big chance for rain and then the win is everyones game.

Hammer24

Banned
Next week might be another win for Lotus. Seems like they again have amazing tyre management and hot climate seems to suite them and their tires even more. There is also a big chance for rain and then the win is everyones game.

With rain, Merc has a good chance to surpise.
Without rain, I like their chances as well. If they hadn´t used this stupid rain setup in dry conditions, they would have been close to Lotus tyre degredation wise (what a difference from last year!). Rears looked pretty good, just the front tyres degraded sharply due to too much wing.
But after all, yes I can see Kimi repeat.

PS: Hot climate may favor other teams more than Lotus. Its much harder to manage your tyres on a cold surface this year, so problems exponentiate. In the heat, thats less so.

Well, it would be not the first time that rain will turn the race into a lottery.

And I wouldn't be surprise if Red Bull and Mercedes had just the wrong setup, the gap between Q3 and race was imo too big.

Ark

Well, it would be not the first time that rain will turn the race into a lottery.

And I wouldn't be surprise if Red Bull and Mercedes had just the wrong setup, the gap between Q3 and race was imo too big.

I agree, if Mercedes had stuck the dry setup on and committed to a 3-stop (maybe the 2-stop would have worked with a dry setup, who knows) they might have been able to grab 3rd or 4th at best.

Red Bull are the same as they've always been. Deathly quick in clean air, and struggle to overtake because they have no straight-line speed.

Didn't have KERS for the first half of the race. I don't know whether that can 100% account for his start, it has to be a massive contributor. That 60kW disadvantage at the start would've killed him.

According to Martin Brundle's Sky column, he had a telemetry glitch that caused the clutch to not be optimally calibrated for the start, which would explain his poor start along with the lack of KERS.

---

Last year to this

Every year, I compile statistics detailing the relative performance of the cars, using the fastest lap time set over a weekend by each driver.

The fastest car gives you a baseline, from which you can compare the performance of the rest.

Using that formula, only three teams have gone forward compared to last year. Mercedes have improved the most - 0.375% - followed by Red Bull (0.359%) and Lotus (0.131%).

Everyone else has gone backwards to one degree or another - Marussia by 0.224%, Ferrari by 0.236%, then Force India, Toro Rosso, Caterham, Sauber and Williams. McLaren - who were the baseline last year - have lost the most at 2.602%.

These lap times also give a picture of the absolute performance of the cars and after Australia the competitive order is Red Bull, Mercedes, Lotus, Ferrari, Force India, Toro Rosso, Sauber, McLaren, Williams, Marussia and Caterham. Tyre usage then alters that in the race.

It's far from a definitive list at this stage because it's based only on one race weekend in mixed wet/dry conditions, but it's the first clue.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula1/21821853

Shaneus

"Glitch" aka "Fuck, Mark is dangerously close to actually overtaking Seb at the start of this race. Think of something, quick!".

I wonder if that extra 2s on his first stop was trying to fix either the glitch or the KERS as well? But you're right about the straight-line speed of the RBR. DRS did shit for Vettel when trying to overtake... anyone.

Thanks for the update, Ark :)

Hammer24

Banned
(maybe the 2-stop would have worked with a dry setup, who knows)

It would have. They had the race planned on two stops, but had to change as the front tyres had more than expected degredation. Rear tyres were fine. Just look at the speed trap classification, and you see what they did wrong...
Even more interesting: Merc did extremely well on the supersofts. No team drove longer on them. The heavy downforce frontwing setup helped getting them into working window. But quite contrary on the mediums, they went way earlier than expected. Again, the front ones moreso than the rear.

"Glitch" aka "Fuck, Mark is dangerously close to actually overtaking Seb at the start of this race. Think of something, quick!".

I wonder if that extra 2s on his first stop was trying to fix either the glitch or the KERS as well?

Awww, come on, he never looked too god in his home race. But:
- telemetry went bonkers. Same problems they had in winter testing. Could happen again (as they still haven´t found the problem), and could hit VET too.
- the car fell from the front carjack, thus costing them 2.65sec more on the first pit stop. This fall damaged the KERS.
- then he was behind BUT, couldn´t overtake him, ruined his tyres in trying, and came to the pits a 2nd time.
--> after this second pitstop he has been constantly quicker than VET on average, probably because his tyres held up much better the rest of the race

PS: MCL is thinking about using last years car. The MP4-28 only works when set very low, which is not possible on a street track like Melbourne. They expect to be better in Sepang, but will decide if to scrap the car after the first four races.

Ark

I wonder if that extra 2s on his first stop was trying to fix either the glitch or the KERS as well? But you're right about the straight-line speed of the RBR. DRS did shit for Vettel when trying to overtake... anyone.

Thanks for the update, Ark :)

As Hammer said, his car fell from the front-jack during that stop costing him the extra couple of seconds.

If Webber didn't have bad luck, he wouldn't have any luck at all :p

Having said that, it would be nice to see Webber winning some races that aren't Monaco or Silverstone this year, aha.

gugGuDP.jpg

I was actually hoping Malaysia would be a 'boring' super sunny Friday-Sunday so that we'd have a better idea of the pecking order, but that doesn't look like the case just yet.

PS: MCL is thinking about using last years car. The MP4-28 only works when set very low, which is not possible on a street track like Melbourne. They expect to be better in Sepang, but will decide if to scrap the car after the first four races.

I don't see why they shouldn't. It's the last year of these regulations and they actually understood last years car. Even if they manage to pull a 2009-esque turnaround, that won't be until the latter half of the season, which would just be wasted development budget.

Hammer24

Banned
I don't see why they shouldn't. It's the last year of these regulations and they actually understood last years car. Even if they manage to pull a 2009-esque turnaround, that won't be until the latter half of the season, which would just be wasted development budget.

Thats perfectly true. Yet still tantamount to creative bankruptcy.

I hope they have Whitmarsh on suicide watch. The whole team is completely miserable and it's depressing to watch. Really like McLaren and hope they don't go the way of Williams. Button is no Alonso but he deserves better than fighting for a point.

Scottify

Checking in with a whopping 11 points! 5280 Racing sitting in 84th place. Man, was I way off. I had 1) Alonso, 2) Webber and 3) Hamilton. Now begins my comeback.

Dead Man

As Hammer said, his car fell from the front-jack during that stop costing him the extra couple of seconds.

If Webber didn't have bad luck, he wouldn't have any luck at all :p

Having said that, it would be nice to see Webber winning some races that aren't Monaco or Silverstone this year, aha.

gugGuDP.jpg

I was actually hoping Malaysia would be a 'boring' super sunny Friday-Sunday so that we'd have a better idea of the pecking order, but that doesn't look like the case just yet.
We'll have plenty of time to learn the pecking order, I imagine we'll be sick of it come seasons end. I like confusing beginnings to the season. Keeps me more interested rather than just hoping for a failure from whatever team is out in front.

pants

I shall remember this post next week when you drop down about 30 places :D

Im just jealous :(

I'm watching you number 6, your days are numbered :c

I totally expect to drop during the next few races, but I do have a goal of finishing top 20 and I think I can make it :D

IISANDERII

They were taking about everyone in the field and he said "Oh yeah, sorry that he isn't going to be here." or words to that effect, while they showed his crashes last year, and his crashes against DC
Heheh. I'm a big Schuey fan but poor Coulthard is such a nice dude and never deserved all that hate tossed his way so I'm glad to hear about this.

dubc35

The ring is officially for sale. Should GAF1 pool our resources?

http://www.autoweek.com/article/20130318/CARNEWS/130319813

The legendary Nürburgring racetrack in Germany is up for sale. The track complex could be broken into pieces or sold as a single entity. Jens Lieser, a state-appointed liquidator, confirmed the sale on Monday.

The North Loop (Nordshcleife) was built in the 1920s around the village of Nürburg in the Eifel Mountains. The track eventually featured four configurations including the 17.5-mile Gesamtstrecke (Whole Course), the 12.9-mile Nordschleife, the Südschleife (South Loop) and the Zielschleife (Finish Loop). A new grand prix circuit was added in 1982; it is now used for all major events at the track.

In addition to the circuit, the Nürburgring complex now includes hotels, amusement rides, restaurants and other exhibits attracting thousands of tourists per year.

Initially there were about 50 buyers interested in the track at a selling price of 125 million Euros ($161 million), but now there are only between five and 10. Lieser assured the public that none of the buyers are “oligarchs or sheiks” who may make the track private.

Mike Frison, a vocal supporter of the 'Ring, has launched savethering.org and maintains a Facebook page and Twitter account dedicated to the track. He recently did an interview on bridgetogantry.com explaining why he's nervous about the possible sale.

“The highest bidder buys the 'Ring and maximizes his profits to justify the investment. Grassroots motorsport will disappear (it's not earning real money) as well as local companies. Their services will be routed through the new 'Ring owner's monopoly,” Frison told bridgetogantry.com. “We have seen clear tendency of that in the Richter/Lindner era over the last two years. Accessibility and track time will only be a question of money. All events we know today are at risk, especially the tourist drives, which are an old dinosaur from the past. From day one to be precise, and it would be such a loss. You couldn't blame a private host to turn away from that, but for the atmosphere and the region it would be a disaster.”

Check out the rest of the interview at bridgetogantry.com.

On Tuesday, March 19 a “Yes to the Nürburgring” parade and protest will head from Nürburg to Mainz, the state capital of Rhineland-Palatinate, Germany, where the 'Ring is located. According to the Facebook invite, more than 500 people are going already, with more than 4,500 yet to respond.

We're deeply saddened by this news because, like you, most of us have yet to visit the legendary track. At the same time, we have some notion of the implications of an all-out track that anyone with a license can pay to drive on. That business model would fly for about two seconds here in the litigious United States.

We'll continue to follow this story, and hope the 'Ring stays in public hands long enough for us to get over there. We'd like to see that Karussell before it becomes just a carousel.

Shaneus

We'll have plenty of time to learn the pecking order, I imagine we'll be sick of it come seasons end. I like confusing beginnings to the season. Keeps me more interested rather than just hoping for a failure from whatever team is out in front.
We did get a failure from a team out in front. KERS, car dropped, telemetry problem... and that's just Webber! In fact... that's only Webber :/

We did get a failure from a team out in front. KERS, car dropped, telemetry problem... and that's just Webber! In fact... that's only Webber :/

He's just has the debugging unit.

Schumi is a great fitness role model. The health of these drivers sure has motivated me to hit the gym more often.

Top Bottom