• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Formula 1 2013 Season |OT| End of the Webber Era

Hammer24

Banned
You checked this all yourself of found a website where they list this stuff?

Auto Motor & Sport has nice statistical updates after every race worth checking out.

Now for Sepang:
- FI brings new parts, especially a new resonator. They are still expected to not look as good as in Australia, Sauber should be quicker.
- LOT brings a bunch of new parts, want to try a complete new exhaust system and hood in FP
- most other teams plan the next bigger updates for China
- FER very happy with the old Toyota wind tunnel in Cologne, Germany; but think the ways from Cologne - Maranello are too long, thus everything feels a bit to slow
- MCL expected to bounce back, as the track layout should favor the new car
- MCL sponsor speculation running rampant, its said to be Gillette and not Telmex (for Vodafone)
- Horner told Lauda that he thinks he´s so often at the RBR Pavillon, Lauda should pay for meals. Lauda answered if all journalists get treated like that at RBR... ;)
- More and more F1 retirees work as journos: Jones (Channel 10), Villeneuve (Sky Italia), Montagny and Prost (Canal +), Danner and Lauda (RTL), Surer (Sky Germany), Brundle and Hill (Sky GB), Coulthard (BBC), Gene (RAI)
- Hill and Prost not going to return as ex-drivers in the race commission. Both found it to hard to judge fairly in short time.
- HAM is said to become much easier going, he joked on several sponsor events like never before
- to stop racing after Q1 in Melbourne is said to be a powerplay, race control wanted to show Bernie that the times are too late (too close to darkness)

Shaneus

Ooooh, that's interesting about the Q1 Melbourne thing. REALLY interesting.

Glad to hear about Hamilton as well. Whoever mentioned in here that it was due to having a mentor figure again (vs. not having one at McL) I think is bang-on. I'm surprised to hear myself say I'm happy for him, but I am. Good stuff.

Okay, given what we know about what happened with Webber's start in Melbourne, what's the consensus of how he performed given the situation? Did he do well considering, or could he have placed higher had he shown more effort? I didn't see him elsewhere on the track so I honestly don't know, but I'd love to hear everyone else's opinions. The media seems to think he did a great job, but that doesn't say much TBH.

Can I ask where you heard otherwise, Hammer? Just curious :)

Hammer24

Banned
Glad to hear about Hamilton as well. Whoever mentioned in here that it was due to having a mentor figure again (vs. not having one at McL) I think is bang-on. I'm surprised to hear myself say I'm happy for him, but I am. Good stuff.

This made me think:
What does GAF think about the HAM-ROS relationship, especially compared to HAM-BUT?

Okay, given what we know about what happened with Webber's start in Melbourne, what's the consensus of how he performed given the situation? Did he do well considering, or could he have placed higher had he shown more effort? I didn't see him elsewhere on the track so I honestly don't know, but I'd love to hear everyone else's opinions. The media seems to think he did a great job, but that doesn't say much TBH.

Melbourne has never been his favorite track, I think he did as was to be expected.

DBT85

This made me think:
What does GAF think about the HAM-ROS relationship, especially compared to HAM-BUT?

They have been friends since they were 12 years old in karts, I think they are more likely to get on than Button and Hamilton were ever going to.

I found this on the Guardian website from a few days ago

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2013/mar/15/lewis-hamilton-nico-rosberg-rivalry-mercedes

"We played table tennis once and he beat me. He is pretty good but I am getting better." Hamilton added: "Probably the first bit of real competition we had was when Nico used to ride a unicycle everywhere. So I thought I've got to learn to ride this unicycle, I've got to be better than him. I spent all my time outside the go-kart learning to ride this unicycle. We always had great competition, whether on the racetrack or computer games or playing football.

"We always had that. It was a really good period of time in my career and in my life and I look forward to making some more great memories." According to Rosberg, it took Hamilton only two hours to master the unicycle. "We had the finest times," Hamilton recalled. "I have never laughed so much than when we were racing together. Nico was kicking everyone's butt at that time. We had some great races together and built a great relationship.

"But we are grown men now. He is almost married. You could say the same about me, probably.With his competitiveness, he wants to beat me and I'm not here to mess around. I want to do the same."

But Hamilton says he is sharing all his information with Rosberg. "When we were in testing I wrote a map on how my car was feeling that day. Nico was there and said: 'Can I have your map, please?' I said: 'No, no one has ever asked to see my map before.' But then I was like: 'Go for it.' It's transparent. He can have all my settings and vice versa."

Rosberg, too, sounds up for the battles ahead. "To be up against Lewis is one of the best experiences out there, for sure. There was always big fighting in go-karting between the two of us. We need to reduce that a little bit and focus more on the track and the driving now."

F12013GP01AUS_HZ4747.jpg

Amazing picture.

dubc35

Hmm, DRS zones on the back straight and pit straight. I wonder how many drivers will get passed on back straight, then undo the pass on the pit straight.

DBT85

Hmm, DRS zones on the back straight and pit straight. I wonder how many drivers will get passed on back straight, then undo the pass on the pit straight.

If that happens to be possible than a bright driver would use the first to get close and the second to blitz past.

dubc35

If that happens to be possible than a bright driver would use the first to get close and the second to blitz past.

Yeah I figured that would be the case, but then it kind of defeats the purpose of two DRS zones. The second zone should be somewhere else on the circuit.

DBT85

Yeah I figured that would be the case, but then it kind of defeats the purpose of two DRS zones. The second zone should be somewhere else on the circuit.

Well you are assuming that it is possible for the overtake to be made on the first DRS zone.

This race will have two detection points, but Melbourne only had the one, also the first detection point is in the middle of T12 and T13, a high speed section of track that means if anyone is close enough it's likely to be just on the cusp as they cannot follow as close through fast corners.

The second detection point is in the middle of the hairpin rather than at the end of the back straight as it has been previously.

I think most tracks are supposed to have double DRS zones this year because they remove free use of it during Qualifying so teams wanted it used more in the race to warrant bothering with it.

Dead Man

Because mandatory pit stops are close to the pinnacle of stupid rules.
Yup.
McLaren apologises to Webber for ECU issue... FUCKERS!! %$#@%$#%

http://www.gpupdate.net/en/f1-news/291966/mclaren-apologises-to-webber-for-ecu-issue/

sorry if already posted
Motherfuckers. Motherfuckers. Just... motherfuckers.
Better solution - ban pit stops! :D

Yeah, either that or reduce the personnel used in a pitstop to make them slow enough that there will be less of an advantage to stopping for new tyres and get rid of the two tyre requirement.

TCRS

Banned
finally watched the race today. dat ferrari. what a sexy car and fast as well. this could be the year! go alonso!

Addnan

Wet Friday, Saturday and Sunday?

I think I am one of the few people that just prefers a normal dry race, even if it means Vettel pole and win :/.

Ark

I think I am one of the few people that just prefers a normal dry race, even if it means Vettel pole and win :/.

The beginning of the season is the only time of the year I really wish for a dry race, just to get a rough idea of the pecking order in optimal conditions.

Europe is too far away :(

Shaneus

I wouldn't say I prefer it, but now we're back from a LONG break, a "normal" race would be great. But the preference for a dry race would be on a "normal" track, not a Tilke monstrosity (though having said that, Malaysia isn't his worst).

Edit: Basically what Ark said.

Marussia have confirmed they held discussions with Caterham over the winter following Bernie Ecclestone's bombshell disclosure the two outfits considered a merger which would have reduced the 2013 grid to just ten teams.

Which one will bail out at the end of the season?

Ark

I wouldn't say I prefer it, but now we're back from a LONG break, a "normal" race would be great. But the preference for a dry race would be on a "normal" track, not a Tilke monstrosity (though having said that, Malaysia isn't his worst).

Edit: Basically what Ark said.

To be fair I think Malaysia and China are relatively decent tracks. Same goes for Austin too.

The rest of his tracks though..

Business

Too many safety cars for proper wet races these days.

I disagree. I admit it is disappointing when you get a wet race start under safety car, although you'd probably appreciate it if you were the one in the car. For the rest I don't remember many unreasonable safety cars due to wet conditions. Does anybody have a statistic of safety cars per wet race?

Fuzz Rez

Banned
I still prefer a wet race any day.

Last season most of the wet races were boring as hell. Little to non overtakes and slow speeds all around the track. ZZZzzzzzZZzzzzzzz. Little rain doesn't hurt since it mixes the race good bit but rain during most of the race is just boring as hell.

dubc35

Last season most of the wet races were boring as hell. Little to non overtakes and slow speeds all around the track. ZZZzzzzzZZzzzzzzz. Little rain doesn't hurt since it mixes the race good bit but rain during most of the race is just boring as hell.

Plus there's no chance of bird watching with Brundle and Coulthard during red flag sessions. :(

DBT85

Hamilton talking about Q3 in Australia, and car setup. Also talks about life at Merc but it's the same stuff we've heard

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/106207

When asked if he too was frightened by the Red Bull form, Hamilton said: "I don't think they had frightening pace in qualifying.

"I think if I was out at the same time and as late as they had gone out, I think I could have matched their time.

"So I don't think it was frightening pace. It was a circuit that was drying up."

Hamilton says that Mercedes has learned plenty of lessons about race tyre management from Australia, and has revealed that the outfit will focus more on set-up in Malaysian Grand Prix practice than it did last weekend.

Reflecting on what happened in Australia, he said: "We did something with the tyres which put the car more into understeer [on the super soft compound] and unfortunately when we made the change to new tyres it went too far the other way.

"So I went from massive understeer to massive oversteer. We just generally struggled with the balance.

"We didn't spend a lot of Friday setting up the car because we were testing a lot of components - which was perhaps the wrong way to go.

"This weekend for example we are going to focus on the set-up - we will make sure we do that."

I've just managed to watch the race, been really busy lately. I kept myself in a media blackout for it so I had no idea who won.

Really glad Kimi won. He's one of my favourite drivers on the grid and he drove a great race from 7th. Also happy with Ferrari's performance which was a lot better than last year, they're now leading constructors which is great.

Will be watching this weekend's race live though, I'm a lot less busy now!

Business

Out of curiosity, which wet race exactly last season? I remember Malaysia and Brazil with water last year and they were pretty exciting and sure not short of overtakes. It seems to me your Little to non overtakes is just a massive hyperbole.

Omiee

Wsup everybody.

Man been swamped by work and my new house. I finally bought my dream house. Its going to be finished in 4 weeks. Lovely house and my first one.

Finally had time to watch the race. Man the ferraris are quick this part of the season compared to last year. Massa and alonso had really great starts.

Good pace by lotus as well or should i say kimi as grosjean was not able to get his car to same performance as kimi was doing.

Happy for kimi that he won. Was a huge fan of him when he used to drive for mclaren before vettel was in the sport.

I think RBR will be quick next few races but the pack is much closer to each other than last year.

Kind of glad this race proved all the stupid posts about RBR running away with it on the first race.

Very curious to see if they manage to challange for the win next race. Loved the vettel helmet design.

Also hamilton should be excited as fuck that he left mclaren at the most perfect time. They were horrible.

BTW webber should just quit. No way rbr are winning the constructors this year with him as their number two driver. Hope di resta or maybe some other guy gets a drive at RBR next year.

also wanted to share this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JGItMTxvbpc

Top Bottom