• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Formula 1 2013 Season |OT| End of the Webber Era

Juicy Bob

Webber was the first driver to take the chequered flag in Q3 both here and in Melbourne, apparently. With a drying track, he was at a disadvantage.

Shaneus

Might just be cursing his bad luck. I hope the team are not fucking him that blatantly.

Edit: God I love that gif.
That's what I'm thinking. I doubt he'd make it that obvious over the radio that he was pissed with whatever decision they made. Though I don't recall hearing over Webber's radio what he wanted to do with his tyres... but it's not like we hear everyone's radios all the time anyway, so who knows?

Edit: Maybe it's the chequered flag thing. Ah fuck, Vettel's speaking, there goes my internet quota.

Edit #2: Felipe's look on his face says "Fuck, Fernando's going to kill me".

ramparter

Banned
I hope the team are not fucking him that blatantly.
Are kidding me? It started as pure speculation back in 2010 but then it became so obvious. Remember Abu Dhabi? They screwed him to have Vettel as champion despite his clear points advantage. It went only worst after that, for me they are favouring Vettel 10 times more that Ferrari favours Nando. At least Ferrari were struggling to have one driver on top so it's kind of expectable from them, RedBull is like they are trolling Mark, I feel sorry for they guy, I think he's only staying on RBR because no other top team would want to have him now.

Shaneus

Are kidding me? It started as pure speculation back in 2010 but then it became so obvious. Remember Abu Dhabi? They screwed him to have Vettel as champion despite his clear points advantage. It went only worst after that, for me they are favouring Vettel 10 times more that Ferrari favours Nando. At least Ferrari were struggling to have one driver on top so it's kind of expectable from them, RedBull is like they are trolling Mark, I feel sorry for they guy, I think he's only staying on RBR because no other top team would want to have him now.
I like you. You have spunk.

Fuck. HE JUST KEEPS FUCKING TALKING.

That's the explanation then, Webber fucked up his timing for the last lap. Just hit the chequered flag.

Webber confirms (making the tinfoil hat brigade look a little silly).

Shaneus

That's the explanation then, Webber fucked up his timing for the last lap. Just hit the chequered flag.

Webber confirms (making the tinfoil hat brigade look a little silly).
Eh, it was all speculation anyway. I didn't know about the potential strategies as I only just caught Q3 *just* after the start. Sounds like everyone who missed out did so because of choosing to stay out. Again, Vettel gets pole because of a lucky choice :/

Next time, Webber should just say "What's Seb doing?".

Kimi fans should wake up now.. the dream is over

It's sooo hard to be a Kimi fan.. he's the most unlucky creature in the universe
Most unlucky? Ahem.

And Webber still accepted a new contract for this year.
It's like Red Bull loves to waste many millions just to troll Webber.

He is just an average driver with some highlights. Webber reminds me on Barrichello in his Farrari years.

Any time you doubt Kimi, rewatch Japan 2005. As long as he has a car to start with and it doesn't fall apart during the race I think he'll do well.

That was a superhuman-like weasel there, tiger. Bravo.

yess.jpg

It's Kimi, he knows what he's doing.

I hope so.. I just wish its a dry race tomorrow. He won't beat the Ferrari's for sure and whenever its raining I can't help but remember Spa 2008. Most painful race for any Kimi fan

John_B

That was pretty random, yet still the order was not a big shock. Red Bull and Vettel nearly always keeps their cool in qualifying and somehow manages to grab that first spot.

I'm thinking those Ferraris will eat Vettel before the first corner. They have incredible starts.

Rosberg and Perez down 0-2 in qualifying so far. Though Rosberg does look very quick.

DrM

Redmond's Baby
Wow, interesting quolies. Race will be intense.

Enjoying loong ski flights in Planica, crowd is incredible (around 25.000) and currently on my 3rd beer of the day in sunny weather (leeching Wi-Fi from nearby food stall) :D

Xun

I doubt I'll bother watching the quali, but I'm happy Massa is ahead of Alonso.

I think Alonso is a great driver, but I have quite a low opinion of the guy.

Dead Man

So I'm trying to get into F1, what are the consensus best tracks other than Monaco? I do like Vettel, but not crazy about Webber.

Good tracks are few and far between these days. The only ones I would call great are Canada, Belgium, Italy, Japan, and maybe Brazil.

Edit: 9 tracks are from tilke this year? :(

Zeknurn

3 place grid drop for Kimi

That's such a shame. Any clip of the incident?

I'm still holding out for a dry and very hot race tomorrow for the possibility of Lotus and Force India outsmarting and outlasting Red Bull and Ferrari in terms of tyre degradation and strategy. If it's pouring down tomorrow I don't think much will happen in the top 6 other than Webber dropping in placements.

Good tracks are few and far between these days. The only ones I would call great are Canada, Belgium, Italy, Japan, and maybe Brazil.

Edit: 9 tracks are from tilke this year? :(

I think you have all the great tracks here.

Spa and Montreal are by far my personal favorites.

Dead Man

So I'm trying to get into F1, what are the consensus best tracks other than Monaco? I do like Vettel, but not crazy about Webber.
Less negative answer! Most of the tracks have decent racing with the KERS and DRS systems in place, Hungaroring is still generally a snoozefest.

Be careful saying you don't like Webber around here, especially if you do like Vettel :)

And hang around for the race this weekend, it should be a good one.

TCRS

Banned
The Ferrari is really quick this year. Yeah Vettel gonna vettel, but 2 and 3 is really good. Seeing Massa in front is quite surprising though.

Nice, Ferrari up in 2nd and 3rd. Good to see Massa up there as well, hopefully that means he's able to finish on the podium, should give Ferrari a good chance at the constructors title if both drivers stay consistent, unlike the last few years.

Less negative answer! Most of the tracks have decent racing with the KERS and DRS systems in place, Hungaroring is still generally a snoozefest.

Be careful saying you don't like Webber around here, especially if you do like Vettel :)

And hang around for the race this weekend, it should be a good one.

Appreciate it :) I dunno about Webber, I'll give the guy a chance, I do love my Red Bulll. haha.

Dead Man

More like :) because that's 2 less than last year.
Hockenheim and Valencia aren't on the calendar this year.

Next year, we'll have 4 (!) more: Hockenheim, Valencia, Sochi and New Jersey.
Oh god. That makes it only 8 this year then since I thought Hokenheim was this year. I guess we are truly living in the last of the golden age of F1 :(
Forgetting your homeland there, sir?

While the race is not held on the Adelaide street circuit it can never be great.

DrM

Redmond's Baby
Yay, me back me wasted as fck

what's with info that merc did not change tyres for last attempt? Ar they true?

Most interesting thing to come out of qualifying was that Hekki rumour at the start of the BBC show. If true (and with him in the garage, you'd have to assume that it's at least being considered), it really shows just what a desperate position Caterham are in as getting Pic in the first place was a bit of a coup.

Hackbert

wow.. does anyone visits jalopnik? oh my what a hate article...
I had to laugh. I am no big Hamilton Fan, also i like his attitude this year starting with Merc. But i think he has to be all smiley.. and why not, they are up there fighting (hopefully).
ah read for yourself :
http://jalopnik.com/the-haters-guide-to-2008-formula-one-champion-lewis-ha-458368227

Hamilton had the backing of one of the most prestigious teams in motorsports when you were sucking at the Trombone in your Junior High band. The story goes that at age 10, the ever precocious Hamilton walked up to McLaren boss Ron Dennis after a big karting win and told him he wanted to race for his team someday. In three years, Hamilton was signed to McLaren. Hamilton was incredibly talented before he took his gifts to McLaren, but having a huge organization behind you at the karting level is just annoying.

Like any motorsport, money is a big part of karting. As someone who raced karts for years when I was younger, I can tell you that being able to afford multiple motors, clutches, and new tires every week makes a massive difference in speed. I can only imagine the difference having one of the greatest F1 teams of all time behind you makes.

This qoutes are actually points i find accurate to a degree..
Nothing is his fault, ever. As far as I can tell, Hamilton has barely done anything wrong. In motorsports, you win and lose as a team. In Hamilton's view, it seems he is clear of any fault when he loses.

Here are just a few examples:

I didn’t contest it, I think you always have to have a balanced view with the engineers, but I didn’t take into account – and I know the engineers didn’t – that in Monaco you can’t take risks and leave it right to the end, you have to get out and get a banker [lap] in, like everyone else did.

To sum up the race I think I probably had one of the drives of my life and unfortunately, due to the strategy, I was put further back and then I got taken out by Mark Webber.

It was while we were waiting for the stewards that I was misled and was instructed by my team manager to withhold information. That's what I did. I felt awkward and uncomfortable, and I think the stewards could see that.

Then the wrong tyres were put on. I had the option instead of the prime. For the last stint I had an old prime which didn't last and I had to pit. It was very poor strategy but there's nothing I can do.

We need to look into this very seriously. There has to be an investigation because we gave away a lot of points again today, that's how championships are lost. We have to try and make sure we pick up on the next race because we can't afford to lose points like we did today.
Occasionally, the team is to blame for a poor strategy. But the way Hamilton plays it, it's as if he doesn't have free will to question the strategy. His idea of a "balanced view" is complaining when he listens to the engineers. Speak up!

Top Bottom