• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Formula 1 2013 Season |OT| End of the Webber Era

Shaneus

A small aside: Found this in a random gifs thread, anyone know when it's from?
L3aDe.gif

Almost certain it's just after the main straight at Monza, but I'm not sure which year it could be. Must be only a few years old at most?

Great job by Vettel. He put on an awesome performance in those conditions. A really dominating one actually. Gapped 2nd place by almost a second.

Congrats to Massa but Ferrari won't give him equal footing.

I predicted Vettel on pole, an Alonso victory tomorrow, Vettel second, and Massa third.

I think anyone who didn't predict Massa near the top hasn't been paying attention. Dude has turned a corner.

I've got stung by Raikkonen big time it seems, although if there's rain anything could happen.

1. RAI
2. VET
3. ALO
4. MAS
5. WEB
6. GRO
7. HAM
8. ROS
9. BUT
10. PER

POLE: VET
F.LAP: RAI
P.GAINED: HUL

pants

I have Rosberg 4th and Hamilton 5th iirc. I'll likely have Rosberg ahead of Hamilton all season as I believe him to be the better driver (unless Hamilton shows he has a track advantage). Will be interesting to see over the next few seasons if my supposition was correct

AcridMeat

Banned
Had quali on in the background but wasn't paying much attention to Q3. I saw the results, not sure how I feel about it. Would be excellent if Massa can get ahead of Vettel though.

Chris R

Watched qualifying this morning, decent stuff.

Race should be good as long as the rain doesn't cause it to be stopped. The heavy rains then sunny stuff that has happened the past two days would be great for racing.

Adamm

Had quali on in the background but wasn't paying much attention to Q3. I saw the results, not sure how I feel about it. Would be excellent if Massa can get ahead of Vettel though.

If its like last weekend then I cant see any way that the Ferrari's wont catch & overtake Vettel.
Vettel was on pole last weekend with the Ferrari's 4th & 5th, and they were closing in on Vettel before the first round of pit stops.

kharma45

Really disappointed with Sauber, I had expected their radical design to pay off. Very pleased for Marussia, Bianchi doing a fantastic job for them.

D_prOdigy

Really disappointed with Sauber, I had expected their radical design to pay off. Very pleased for Marussia, Bianchi doing a fantastic job for them.

I'm sort of glad I don't have to care about Sauber now they got rid of Kamui-chan, seeing as how that upward-curve over the past three seasons is now veering downwards. Gutierrez might come good, but I really struggle to care about Hulkenburg.

Pretty much all the mid-field teams apart from Force India look pretty naff this season, which is a shame.

But yes, Bianchi looks really, really good.

DrM

Redmond's Baby
so how is weather forcast for the race?

still cannot belive that some teams were so stupid and not go for fresh inters...

Addnan

Vettel is usually a decent starter, but Ferraris are better. I think we could see Massa getting past Vettel, but I don't think Alonso will. Vettels not Webber
sorry

Ferrari got the race in the bag.. I'm hoping for a wet race to shuffle things up.. Kimi's only hope is a monstrous start and be 4th or something by first lap.. otherwise his race is over..

DrM

Redmond's Baby
Ferrari got the race in the bag.. I'm hoping for a wet race to shuffle things up.. Kimi's only hope is a monstrous start and be 4th or something by first lap.. otherwise his race is over..

Nobody has this in the bag, too unpredictable tyre behavior + weather factor

guys, who will make popcorn?
Red Bull only has itself to blame for the tyre degradation issues it is facing, says defiant Lotus boss Eric Boullier, as the champion team lobbies for changes to the 2013 Pirellis.

AUTOSPORT understands that Red Bull has begun secretly lobbying Pirelli about changing the design of this year's tyres because of the difficulties the Milton Keynes squad has faced at the first two events.

jey_16

Banned
Fuck red bull....they had winter testing to find out about the tyres, if they change them now it screws over the other teams

DrM

Redmond's Baby
Some other teams are pointing out that there could be some problems with 2013 tyre construction.

Like i said, we will see tomorrow. But in a dry race, i predict big mess with tyres for all teams.

I think it's not a good thing for the F1 if teams need to design cars with less downforce (a ka slower cars) because the tyres can't stand too much downforce.

Tires should absolutely be changed. Tires that tear themselves apart in 10 laps are a joke. I also have to wonder what kind of image a casual viewer gets of Pirelli when they see their product fall apart so badly.

f0rk

Tires should absolutely be changed. Tires that tear themselves apart in 10 laps are a joke. I also have to wonder what kind of image a casual viewer gets of Pirelli when they see their product fall apart so badly.

What casual viewer cares about what tires they have on their car?

FuturusX

McLaren principal Martin Whitmarsh takes blame for uncompetitive car

McLaren's team leader, Martin Whitmarsh, has admitted responsibility for going into the new Formula One season with an uncompetitive car. Asked whether he had made the decision to ditch last year's car – which won seven races and should have secured the world championship – in favour of the struggling MP4-28, Whitmarsh said on Saturday: "Yes, I did."

McLaren opted for a radical redesign of this year's car, even though most teams tweaked their 2012 models in readiness for the changes of regulation set for 2014. In Australia last Sunday, Button finished ninth, two places ahead of Pérez and here in Malaysia the McLarens again looked a long way behind the Red Bulls and Ferraris.

Whitmarsh, 54, has not won a trophy since replacing Ron Dennis as team leader in 2009, and unless he manages to turn the car around in the next month or so his position will come under greater scrutiny. "When the car is not successful, then a lot of the focus will inevitably be on me," he said. "When the car is successful then there is normally credit elsewhere. But that's the job.

"I am relaxed about that. I have been around in the sport long enough. I have been involved in over 100 grand prix victories, so I know what it's like to win and that's fun, but I also know what it is like not to do a good enough job for the team. I know that if you are going to be the team principal, I have to stand there and accept responsibility for it."

The fearless leader is relaxed. Bodes well.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2013/mar/23/mclaren-martin-whitmarsh-blame

Massa

Vettel is usually a decent starter, but Ferraris are better. I think we could see Massa getting past Vettel, but I don't think Alonso will. Vettels not Webber
sorry

I think Vettel will try to block Massa leaving Alonso to pass both.

I think Vettel's starts are usually flattered by how many people have to swerve out of the way of Webber. He'll be third into turn 1 almost certainly.

Shaneus

You have to wonder how all the teams could manage to get ~30+ laps out of the mediums last weekend, but this weekend struggle to get 10 on the hards. I assume there's not some massive point I'm missing, but that ain't right, is it?

kharma45

I'm sort of glad I don't have to care about Sauber now they got rid of Kamui-chan, seeing as how that upward-curve over the past three seasons is now veering downwards. Gutierrez might come good, but I really struggle to care about Hulkenburg.

Pretty much all the mid-field teams apart from Force India look pretty naff this season, which is a shame.

But yes, Bianchi looks really, really good.

If only Marussia had KERS last year too, would've wiped the floor with Caterham.

Yeah FI looks good too, really pleased for Sutil after a year out as he looks sharper than ever. He gets a lot of flak (and rightly so) but people in this thread making out that he was a poor driver, he always had potential to do decently well and now that he has a good FI it seems he might get a decent points haul this year.

Top Bottom