• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Formula 1 2013 Season |OT| End of the Webber Era

Mercedes are not going to get in the top 3 I suspect.

I see Webber a favourite tomorrow over Vettel too. No way he can keep it up all this year's in a row, he's not that good.

Adamm

Just catching up with FP2

Rob Smedley (to massa) - "So at the minute the pace is ummm... well compared to other people on this tyre its not good... its Incredible!"

Massa looking good this weekend!

MrKaepora

Guys, GMG has a promo going on and I was thinking of maybe buying one of the F1 games. Haven't touched an F1 simulator in years so I don't know what to get (2010,2011 or 2012). What do you recommend?

Adamm

Guys, GMG has a promo going on and I was thinking of maybe buying one of the F1 games. Haven't touched an F1 simulator in years so I don't know what to get (2010,2011 or 2012). What do you recommend?

I asked about this a few pages back (not about GMG, just the games in general)

I think the consensus was that 2011 is probably the best of the F1codemaster games

DrM

Redmond's Baby
Grosjean is haunted by gremlins - they are stealing his downforce

Romain Grosjean claims to have been hit with a recurrence of the mystery car problem which held him back during the Australian and Malaysian Grand Prix weekends.

The Lotus driver battled the problem of a lack of the expected downforce during the race in Australia, Friday practice in Malaysia and again today.

Grosjean first hit the problem during Friday morning practice when running the new exhaust design used by team-mate Kimi Raikkonen in Malaysia and, despite reverting to the previous specification in the afternoon, continued to struggle.

This is despite the problem initially appearing to be solved ahead of Saturday practice in Malaysia.
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/106667

I will bomb hard again at predictor, simply impossible to guess with so many variables in place - track will be more rubbery, temps will be wee bit higher....

I'd be surprised if Vettel comes out on top this weekend out of the two.

Either Red Bull will have him move over for Mark (doubt it) or he'll mess it up because of all the pressure he's been putting on himself.

Personally, I hope he gets another DNF. Best races last year were not involving him, Valancia was boring until he retired.

Omiee

Ferrari seem pretty quick so does mercedes. Hope RBR can do something to the car to make it competitive for the race tomorrow.

Really hope rbr find a way to get their team spirit high again. All this shit the last few weeks is bad for team moral.

ramparter

Banned
Just catching up with FP2

Rob Smedley (to massa) - "So at the minute the pace is ummm... well compared to other people on this tyre its not good... its Incredible!"

Massa looking good this weekend!
I always hoped for the last three years that a day would come that we would see the good old Massa. I think he gets really close. Only thing that scares me is what will happen between him and Alonso if he starts outperforming him in the races.

f0rk

Really? For their F1 team? Awesome if so, congrats, good luck!

Thanks, it is. It's a graduate position as a systems engineer and I'm not sure I have the right background (maths rather than engineering) but I already have a job I'm happy with lined up so have nothing to lose!

Ferrari seem pretty quick so does mercedes. Hope RBR can do something to the car to make it competitive for the race tomorrow.

Really hope rbr find a way to get their team spirit high again. All this shit the last few weeks is bad for team moral.

Doubt they can do butch in less than 24, if there's anything is going to happen to RBR it's downhill from now. Hopefully take Vettel with them.

Fantomex

Vettel always saves good half second for Qualifying. I see him being 3-5 on the starting grid. And from then on we know he can't pass anyone. So he might still end up on the podium.

Omiee

Doubt they can do butch in less than 24, if there's anything is going to happen to RBR it's downhill from now. Hopefully take Vettel with them.

Thats not necessarily true. It has happened as lot of times in the past that RBR would be slow during practice only for their team to do some overnight work and make the car fast again.

Shaneus

Really hope rbr find a way to get their team spirit high again.
Funny guy.

All this shit the last few weeks is bad for team moral.
WFG0PN0.jpg

PS.
JUfEazM.png

And from then on we know he can't pass anyone. So he might still end up on the podium.

Still? After his performances last year I'd have thought that reputation would be long dead.

Edit - Some horrible pictures in there. Were they trying to make everyone look like freaks?

NHale

So I'm feeling the Massa grand chelem coming on this weekend. Who's with me?!

...guys?

Anyone?

Bueller?

:<

If he doesn't get it this weekend, it will probably be at Bahrain. He was always very quick in that track, so if Ferrari keeps this fast pace and not 0.5 sec slower than 1 team, I would bet Massa wins it there. And it's very deserving, because after the atrocious 1st half of last year he bounced back and is showing a mental toughness that everyone thought he didn't had.

As hard as I was on Massa at the start of last year I'd love to see him bounce back and kick some serious ass. Especially given his amateurish flailing helped make Alonso look like a god by comparison.

Mastah

Tyres are the same for everyone. Whoever gets his car to work best with them, will win. Right now they are the only thing keeping RBR from total domination.

Going by this principle they can make a tyre, which would last 1 lap and that would be okay, because it's the same for everyone. It doesn't matter it kills rivarly, racing or what F1 is about, it's the same for everyone, right?

If Red Bull are the fastest, they deserve domination. Curb it by changing car regulations, not by changing the sport completely, as it happened since 2011. We only need to look at 2004 and 2005 transition, which was done to stop Ferrari domination. Changes to cars, changes to tyres, but they were still developed to the limit. What we have now is deliberately (or not?) developing a tyre, which is not good enough and Paul Hembery saying straight into our faces that late 2012 races were boring, because they were 1 stoppers. Abu Dhabi and Austin races were boring? Hell no, what he's saying is bullshit.

Mastah

What are you talking about? Passing in modern F1 is impossible if you are not seconds a lap quicker than the guy in front. DRS while not ideal tries to compensate the for lack of aero grip you get while under the turbulence generated by the car in front, allowing the faster car behind to be quicker on the straight (because yes for starters you have to be quicker to get inside the 1 second gap) and have a go while braking. Sometimes is not enough sometimes it's too easy. That's all you need to understand. The easy passing by 'non talented' drivers and the non existence of defending you are talking about is nonsense

Passing in modern F1 is impossible? Tell him what he was doing was impossible http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Pneigp-9IE

DRS doesn't compensate for dirty air. If that was the case, you would see rear wing gaining angle in corners, only to return to normal position on straights, that's what I could call compensation.

Modern F1 "racing", press DRS to overtake, done - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VtAnKU0XSbM

RayStorm

Going by this principle they can make a tyre, which would last 1 lap and that would be okay, because it's the same for everyone. It doesn't matter it kills rivarly, racing or what F1 is about, it's the same for everyone, right?

It kills everything just as much as anything. Or to put it more eloquently: I disagree with you, but what is F1 about? The pinnacle of racing technology? With all those rules in place for the past 20 years to curb innovation? Hardly. About the best drivers? They still shine, no matter what the rules or cars are. Is F1 about excitement? That's not gone missing anymore or less than due to other things done. Neither do rivalries because tires don't last a whole race. If F1 is about teamwork a point could be made, that frequent tire changes actually allow good teamwork to shine more publicly.

Top Bottom