• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Formula 1 2013 Season |OT| End of the Webber Era

duckroll

I certainly think that there's a reasonable pattern that multiple world champions have stepped on a lot of toes. Although I'm not really certain how many multiple world champions have been perceived as shitting all over their own team for their own glory. I feel that sticks out to me.

If Vettel is just being a total dick to everyone else on the track, I think that would be expected to a certain extend. I just don't understand why he has to come out and say things like Webber not deserving to win, how he will ignore team orders again, and then going on to say that Webber has never helped him as a team mate anyway. It feels like a really unprofessional airing of dirty laundry. Horner can't possibly be pleased with this going into the next race.

You must be new to sport. Plus you seem to have forgotten what an arsehole Schumacher was... though at least he generally had the balls to wear it with pride.

Nothing beats parking your car right at the end of the pitlane after qualifying for pole! WHOOPS!!!! :D

It still surprises me that we're ok (and yeah, that includes me) with ignoring orders and all the public ranting about Red Bull (and Vettel) that Webber has done over the years, but as soon as Vettel has a go he's roundly turned on.

Is it because as a winner we feel he's got no right to say anything? I'd have certainly felt aggrieved at Webber's lack of support (and saying publicly that he wouldn't support me), just as Webber is justifiably aggrieved at what he saw as Vettel's preferential treatment.

Hammer24

Banned
Although I'm not really certain how many multiple world champions have been perceived as shitting all over their own team for their own glory. I feel that sticks out to me.

I tend to disagree here. Thinking of Piquets Brabham-->Williams defection. Senna-Prost and Lauda-Prost duels not caring for the best of their team, Schumachers Benetton flight, Alonso with McLaren and so on.

It feels like a really unprofessional airing of dirty laundry.

Yes it does. Maybe that's a sign that WEB will be out by seasons end, and VET just simply not giving a fuck anymore?

Zeppu

Vettel is an arrogant fuck for what he said about Webber. Rapidly losing all respect for him. Not only did he say he would probably do it again (after apologizing to the team for doing so), he also had to stick it with "he didn't deserve to win". What a punk. Hope he gets humbled this weekend.

I could almost tolerate that, but then saying he'll probably do it again breaks his whole argument down.

I like Vettel. I really do. But I'm losing a lot of respect for him over this stuff. He keeps digging himself into a hole. I would've preferred a: "We are racing drivers, we are here to win." or "This was my chance to race against a car as fast as mine." than all these fake apologies and displays of arrogance.

duckroll

I tend to disagree here. Thinking of Piquets Brabham-->Williams defection. Senna-Prost and Lauda-Prost duels not caring for the best of their team, Schumachers Benetton flight, Alonso with McLaren and so on.

I think defections are fine, if Vettel isn't happy at Red Bull, maybe he should leave. If he doesn't plan on leaving though, shitting on his own team publicly seems crass. Teammates having having infighting can be bad for a team, and I guess those examples are fair.

That Alonso example though, I will not accept! Lol. I feel McLaren deserved everything they got, and Alonso not covering up for the team is something which made me respect him more. Although, there will always been questions of integrity clouding him with regards to his time at Renault. I certainly hope he truly had no knowledge of what was going on... but who knows. :(

Hammer24

Banned
I think defections are fine,...

How so? Isn´t this the very definition of "shitting on your own team" for personal gain.

That Alonso example though, I will not accept! Lol. I feel McLaren deserved everything they got, and Alonso not covering up for the team is something which made me respect him more.

IMO he only did this for personal gain - as an excuse to not help HAM win the WDC, and to force his way out to FER.

Although, there will always been questions of integrity clouding him with regards to his time at Renault. I certainly hope he truly had no knowledge of what was going on... but who knows. :(

I do not believe for a single second, that the whole team knew, but only ALO was white as daylight.

Sloane

Banned
You must be new to sport. Plus you seem to have forgotten what an arsehole Schumacher was... though at least he generally had the balls to wear it with pride.
Yes, it's my first F1 season, you got me.

Schumacher was an asshole, no question about it, he pulled a lot of shit on and off the track, probably had more than a few incidents with Rubens and, yes, that might happen on almost every team -- but I can't remember any top driver of the last twenty years or so who has shown so little respect for his teammate.

What makes it even worse it that Vettel apologized three weeks ago and only now that he knows that Webber will be gone by the end of the season and the team is standing behind him, he actually "has the guts" to say Webber didn't deserve to win, wtf. He just sounds like a childish little bully.

At this point, I wouldn't be surprised if RBR got rid off Webber before the end of the season.

thabiz

Webber's not going anywhere right now. RBR has the best chance at the constructors, so hes staying put. off season he is gone. no way in hell he stays there.

I was thinking about it the other day, but i think RBR will have trouble getting a top driver to replace Webber. Vettel has given a bad face to the team, and has shown that he is clearly the priority no matter what.

Kimi might be the only one that could go, cause he truly doesnt give a shit.

didnt get to see the practice, how did Lewis look?

Gruso

Yeah, I don't think Webber's going anywhere this year. If he did leave it would be of his own volition, but he's more the type to channel his anger into getting the job done. I think he does some of his best work when he's pissed off.

pulga

Banned
Just wanted to stop by and pour one out for my fallen comrades in this thread.

Omiee, see you in the CL final, you Vettel.

The drivers always get a disproportional percent of the blame when their team mismanages, and creates these problems for them. Sure, the words often come from their mouths, so it's easy to affix the issue to them, but really the bullshit starts at the top. The Horner/Marko/Mateschitz trio does not work in harmony, and has poisoned the rest of the well. The team has put both Vettel and Webber in shitty positions. I don't have the slightest problem with anything Vettel or Webber has done or said. Their actions have been inevitable.

Sloane

Banned
Webber's not going anywhere right now. RBR has the best chance at the constructors, so hes staying put.
For now, yes, but if Vettel and Webber ever happen to have "an incident" like Turkey 2010 this year, I'm not so sure RBR would keep him.

Dead Man

But nice guys don´t win too many WDC´s, wouldn´t you agree?

Doesn't mean you have to ignore that sort of rubbish. I can appreciate a lot more than pure out to win cuntishness in a driver. I know a lot of people disagree, but if you can win without being a prick, you are a vastly better driver in my estimation.

hamchan

Webber's not going anywhere right now. RBR has the best chance at the constructors, so hes staying put. off season he is gone. no way in hell he stays there.

I was thinking about it the other day, but i think RBR will have trouble getting a top driver to replace Webber.
Vettel has given a bad face to the team, and has shown that he is clearly the priority no matter what.

Kimi might be the only one that could go, cause he truly doesnt give a shit.

I was thinking something similar too. Whoever they get has to be able to get high positions like Webber can while also accepting that they will always be the number two driver while Vettel is there.

dubc35

Monaco to reclaim land from sea. Could F1 circuit change?

It’s the world’s most expensive parade. A slow(ish) procession of cars likely to finish where they started, with overtaking nigh-on impossible. I could only be talking about the Monaco Grand Prix, right?

Well, if I dealt entirely in cliché, I would be. Like every Formula One fan I am more than aware of the fact that – while rare – passing is possible in Monaco. We’ve seen it happen before, and we’ll see it happen again. But thanks to a Monegasque land grab, we might actually see regular overtaking in the principality.

Prince Albert this week announced that Monaco would be reclaiming 14 acres of land from the sea, with a view to expanding housing opportunities in a very crowded space. The project – which will take a number of years to come to fruition – will see new land just past Portier, giving the Automobile Club de Monaco the opportunity to redraft the circuit and add in some overtaking opportunities. Just one would suffice.

While there are currently no plans to alter the circuit based on the new land available, the reclaimed strip – which will be roughly 150 metres wide and 400 metres long – is an opportunity too good to miss.

For the F1 fraternity, Monaco is like a pill that makes you fall in love with F1 all over again. Whenever we get down in the dumps and feel our passion temporarily waning in the face of jetlag, deadlines, and stress, we grit our teeth till Monaco, grab a tabard, and head trackside.

It’s only Monaco that gives you the opportunity to get so close to the cars that you could smack the drivers on the head if you wanted to. Start out at Piscine and put your legs behind the barrier, feeling them shake as the cars whizz past.

Then make your way over to the Nouvelle Chicane and sit on the floor – they don't have barriers at the back end of the corner, so it’s the closest unimpeded view of a car in motion you’ll ever have. Then it’s time to pop your earplugs in and stand in the tunnel, where you feel the vibrations from the cars start at your feet and work your way up your body till you can feel your organs vibrating at 18,000rpm.

No other circuit gives you that experience, and it's the main thing that makes Monaco so special. Well, that and all the free champagne...

But for F1 fans – whether trackside or watching at home – that experience simply doesn’t exist. People go to Monaco because of its history, its glamour, and its role as the jewel in the Formula One crown. The often processional racing is secondary to the experience of being in Monaco, of watching the cars whizz past as the sunlight reflects off the azure seas.

To redraft the run up to the tunnel with an overtaking spot included would be to reward Formula One fans for their years of devotion to the principality.

Schumacher was an asshole, no question about it, he pulled a lot of shit on and off the track, probably had more than a few incidents with Rubens and, yes, that might happen on almost every team -- but I can't remember any top driver of the last twenty years or so who has shown so little respect for his teammate.

eh Alonso?

but ,yeah, your first season.

Hammer24

Banned

Puffy-eyed
he has some allergic reaction

Doesn't mean you have to ignore that sort of rubbish. I can appreciate a lot more than pure out to win cuntishness in a driver. I know a lot of people disagree, but if you can win without being a prick, you are a vastly better driver in my estimation.

No, it doesn´t. And I too wish ROS would win a couple more races.

DrM

Redmond's Baby
Lewis managed 27 laps on medium component. We will see some interesting decisions tomorrow and this one will be another miss and miss in GP predictor :D

Hammer24

Banned
-- but I can't remember any top driver of the last twenty years or so who has shown so little respect for his teammate.

Twenty years you say? Aside from MSC, being the biggest vettel of them all, I can give you Prost, Senna, Villeneuve and Alonso, and this list only includes drivers who became champions to meet your "top driver" qualifier.

Hammer24

Banned
Lewis managed 27 laps on medium component. We will see some interesting decisions tomorrow and this one will be another miss and miss in GP predictor :D

The Merc runs fantastic on the prime, and like shit on the option. They say it feels like you´d need two different setups for the different tyres.

For the F1 fraternity, Monaco is like a pill that makes you fall in love with F1 all over again. Whenever we get down in the dumps and feel our passion temporarily waning in the face of jetlag, deadlines, and stress, we grit our teeth till Monaco, grab a tabard, and head trackside.

It's funny, because I think Monaco is a borefest, but then I'm not drinking champagne trackside whilst being noshed by aspiring actresses.

But for F1 fans – whether trackside or watching at home – that experience simply doesn’t exist.
Champagne and blowjobs for all!

dubc35

It's funny, because I think Monaco is a borefest, but then I'm not drinking champagne trackside whilst being noshed by aspiring actresses. ;)

I don't mind Monaco, not my favorite but still like it. I'd take the bolded above at Valencia or Bahrain and enjoy myself I think, lol.

[edit] champagne and bjs? Bring on the most uninspried Tilke track ever and I'll be there, lol. (actually champagne is not very good imo, add OJ, I'll settle for mimosa's).

DrM

Redmond's Baby
The Merc runs fantastic on the prime, and like shit on the option. They say it feels like you´d need two different setups for the different tyres.

Everyone is struggling on the option, some more, some less, but degradation is quite insane with option tire, so how will they race with it? Risk being around 8th place and qualify with prime or risk on option and go into the pits in lap 6?

Yes, it's my first F1 season, you got me.

What makes it even worse it that Vettel apologized three weeks ago and only now that he knows that Webber will be gone by the end of the season and the team is standing behind him, he actually "has the guts" to say Webber didn't deserve to win, wtf. He just sounds like a childish little bully.

At this point, I wouldn't be surprised if RBR got rid off Webber before the end of the season.

Let me paint a different picture for you...

You're the three times defending World Champion, your team marks you the unofficial #1 driver in deference to your teammates feelings, you're in the 2nd race of what's looking to be a hard fought season, you catch and could easily pass and pull away from your unlikely to seriously contend teammate to score additional valuable points, and your team demands you don't advance your position because they're following guidelines that were, at least in part, in place to help you, and the reason they're doing so is to create a false sense of worth for said #2 driver (and to cut down on his whining).

If I were Vettel, I'd be one one thinking I was being disrespected.

I'm not saying he's right or wrong, but I certainly see why he's flippant towards the team and to Mark (although I don't think it's personal). They've given him no choice but to be a dick.

Hammer24

Banned
Everyone is struggling on the option, some more, some less, but degradation is quite insane with option tire, so how will they race with it? Risk being around 8th place and qualify with prime or risk on option and go into the pits in lap 6?

Well, FER is struggling decidedly less on the option, so if the weather stays put expect them to qualify extremely well. And yes, to pit in lap 5.
If teams don´t find a magic setup overnight, I personally would qualify on the prime and leave the option for the very last stint.

DrM

Redmond's Baby
Hammer24, one question for you:
If you had a team, which option would you choose:

a) Q3 on option, better grid position and early pit for prime
b) Q3 on prime, 3rd row on grid and last short stint on option

G-Unit

So yeah... Mercedes still sucks in my radar. I need a new driver to recover my ferrari love. I have never liked fernando. God dammit raikkonen, go back to ferrari

Top Bottom